Reilly Smith signed to ELC, assigned to Dallas

Old
05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Jackson's comments on R. Smith make it sound like he's probably going to the AHL which makes the whole burning a year debacle even more mystifying, if that was possible.
Why didn't Reilly Smith play in those last 3 games when the season was on the line?

Quote:
“He has some real nice attributes as far as an offensive player goes. He just needs to become more familiar with our defensive structure and getting used to playing with pro players,” said Stars coach Glen Gulutzan. “I think he is going to be a good player in the future.”
Weeks later and a more rational perspective ... I get why Gully was gun-shy with him, but I still think considering how bad the offense was it would have been nice to just take the gamble.

However in a season that was filled with mostly good things from Gully, I think rationally this wasn't as horrible as I felt when it was going on. In terms of disappointment, this was a distant, distant 2nd to the PP.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Gully being gun shy doesn't surprise or truly bother me. The surprise came from Niewy putting him up there and allowing him to be played. Give the kid a prize and let him travel with the team, get an idea how to be a pro, the workouts, the travel, the basic in-and-outs of being a pro hockey player, but don't waste his time, that elc, and the fans' expectations by jerking him in and out of the lineup, giving him 5 minutes and expecting anything other than basically nothing as far as results go.

That decision is on Niewendyk and it was a poor one. I said it when it happened, if you're going to put him out there then you do override the coach and play him up the lineup and give him minutes. You don't get to hide behind "I don't want to override my coach." That's why you're the GM Niewendyk you are responsible for those decisions and he doesn't get to shift the blame when they are terrible.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:59 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Gully being gun shy doesn't surprise or truly bother me. The surprise came from Niewy putting him up there and allowing him to be played. Give the kid a prize and let him travel with the team, get an idea how to be a pro, the workouts, the travel, the basic in-and-outs of being a pro hockey player, but don't waste his time, that elc, and the fans' expectations by jerking him in and out of the lineup, giving him 5 minutes and expecting anything other than basically nothing as far as results go.

That decision is on Niewendyk and it was a poor one. I said it when it happened, if you're going to put him out there then you do override the coach and play him up the lineup and give him minutes. You don't get to hide behind "I don't want to override my coach." That's why you're the GM Niewendyk you are responsible for those decisions and he doesn't get to shift the blame when they are terrible.
If you look at a team in those terms, then what is the point of the coach? Ideally they should be on the same page, but it's not like they'll always agree 100% of the time.

I think Les Jackson did the right thing stepping in and forcing Tip's hand with Brad Richards on the point and Eriksson getting more ice time. There are situations that it's important for the GM to push his agenda. However, to universally say the GM needs to be making coaching decisions is incorrect unless you're a fan of the Dallas Cowboys' approach to ownership, management, and coaching.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:02 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

The difference I see between Reilly Smith and Eriksson is experience. I think you can definitely argue against the GM's decision to have him join the NHL rather than the AHL, but I don't have an issue with GMJN not forcing Gully's hand. It was gamble on Joe's part that Smith would be ready and Gully would feel comfortable with him in the lineup. It just didn't work out.

The result is he loses a handful of games playing Top 6 minutes in the AHL. It's not fair to discount that experience because they tout it as being so important for guys like Glennie and Dillon in the past. However, IMO, it was a small gamble that doesn't actually hurt the player or the team.

EDIT: The thing that disappoints me with Gully is that he played it so safe. GMJN is typically the guy playing it safe ... not selling assets ... and Dallas ultimately missing the playoffs. It was a change of pace from JN in this instance to take a risk. I was unfortunate, IMO, that Gully didn't recognize a sinking ship and try something a bit risky.

Last edited by BigG44: 05-15-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
It shouldn't have to be about the GM making coaching decisions or forcing anyone's hand. In a model organization, the decision to burn Smith's ELC by bringing him up to the NHL immediately would've been discussed amongst all relevant parties, including determining his playing time targets and expectations. Those type of decisions ought to be made collectively and in concert with one another. That apparently did not happen in the Stars' case. We have the GM doing one thing and the coach doing another. Which would be somewhat understandable if the coach in question was an established institution rather than an inexperienced first year coach who should theoretically be very much in tune with the wishes of the GM who just hired him.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I think Joe saw himself in Smith, as well as a glimmer of hope in saving the season. He allowed his personal experiences to cloud his judgement, not realizing that making thejump from the NCCA today is a lotg different than it was 20 years ago. That was a mistake.

That being said, we still don't know if burning the ELC year was a provision for Smith to turn pro. And as has been mentioned before, 2 years till his next contract could make him cheaper in the long run. Burning the ELC isn't a huge deal, but Niewy's blind faith in Smith's ability to transition just because he did it was a bit disconcerting.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

The ELC thing doesn't really bother me it's the whole play him, don't play him, play him 5 minutes on the 4th line, then sit him but yeah since we're out we'll play him 15+ minutes in one final game. It's a clusterfrak from the word go. Niewendyk needed to have a frank conversation with Gulutzan and that apparently didn't happen.

Yeah I think Niewy blew it and over estimated Smith's presence and ability in regards to whether he could make the straight jump and make a difference. That's on him but again Gulutzan played it safe, went the veteran route that got them nowhere in the first place and that's not a good indication as far as what's going to happen this upcoming year.

Larsen was babied till he basically played as our best defenseman. Vincour was stuck on the 4th line till injuries had him moving up. Jordie Benn was hidden in his little time here and the team did everything it could to accommodate older players; giving them prime minutes in key situations they never should have gotten. I don't want Dillion getting 20 minutes a night from the get go but I also don't want him hovering at 12 either.

Robidas, Sourey, Ott, and Morrow have done nothing to show they've earned big minutes yet we keep putting them out there for them. At some point a change has to be made or more of the same results will continue to occur.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
All of this makes the answer to all the questions pretty simple. The only way Smith was going to leave school early was if they started the clock on his contract early. The organization was possibly worried that if he played out his final NCAA eligibility that he just may not sign with the organization.

It's not ideal but I don't think it's a major issue.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote