HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Lazar won't be Top 5, you guys are right. Guys like Shinkaruk, Monahan, Mackinnon, Pulock, Jones will all be Top 5. But I think Lazar will go Top 10 and be a steal, think of Jeff Skinner as a comparison as a guy who didn't get all the hype but just grinded it out and came out on top.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
shello
@WShello9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
Lazar won't be Top 5, you guys are right. Guys like Shinkaruk, Monahan, Mackinnon, Pulock, Jones will all be Top 5. But I think Lazar will go Top 10 and be a steal, think of Jeff Skinner as a comparison as a guy who didn't get all the hype but just grinded it out and came out on top.
This

It really just goes to show how deep the draft is next year, he's a top 5 talent but will go in the bottom top 10 because the other talent is currently better or team needs and will be a steal.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Just like Ebert will be top 5 this year right? Somebody could easily drop and while that player could be Lazar, I don't see a well-rounded physical player such as him doing anything but climb the rankings.

Hopefully the Oil Kings knock off Portland so Lazar gets some national exposure. From watching the WHL final though, whichever team goes to the Mem Cup is gonna be fun to watch against St. John and London (no offense to anybody but it looks like those teams are moving on).

Also, the things that held Skinner back from being ranked higher don't apply to Lazar. I do agree though that like Skinner he's probably more likely to be taken higher than his ranking given his skillset, I just think that by next Spring he'll have passed a few guys in the rankings so if he were to be taken higher than expected he'd be going top 3 with Jones and Mackinnon.

Last edited by Delicious Pancakes: 05-10-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding
Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:50 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Just like Ebert will be top 5 this year right? Somebody could easily drop and while that player could be Lazar, I don't see a well-rounded physical player such as him doing anything but climb the rankings.

Hopefully the Oil Kings knock off Portland so Lazar gets some national exposure. From watching the WHL final though, whichever team goes to the Mem Cup is gonna be fun to watch against St. John and London (no offense to anybody but it looks like those teams are moving on).

Also, the things that held Skinner back from being ranked higher don't apply to Lazar. I do agree though that like Skinner he's probably more likely to be taken higher than his ranking given his skillset, I just think that by next Spring he'll have passed a few guys in the rankings so if he were to be taken higher than expected he'd be going top 3 with Jones and Mackinnon.
Ebert was a different case though. He had Ellis making him that good.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

I could see Lazar becoming an Owen Nolan type of player. Maybe not quite the sniper Nolan was in his prime....but it's still early to make any pro comparisons.

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
I could see Lazar becoming an Owen Nolan type of player. Maybe not quite the sniper Nolan was in his prime....but it's still early to make any pro comparisons.
I like the comparison, and I also like my Doan comparison. It's hard to come up with one for him because he's not as physical as either of those two players, especially Owen.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Love the comparison. He has been absolutely everywhere in this finals series. Really love his game! Pretty sure he'd probably be the top ranked forward from the dub if eligible this year.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Lazar will be the best Dub forward in next year's draft. He has elite skills, speed and smarts with powerful, prjectable frame. He dominated the Canada Winter Games and stepped up his play in the Dub playoffs as a freshmen against older competition. Point production but also physical play. He's driven results on a top team which is one win away from a Mem Cup.

I like Shinkaruk and have seen him a lot but Lazar brings more to the game and has higher upside including a physical element.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

I think Lazar is closer to Doan than Nolan. Nolan was a big body, think Power Forward. Where as Doan isn't very big, but drives the net. Doan doesn't throw big hits though.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:58 PM
arsmaster

Lazar has a few similar traits to Toews IMO.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

After winning the WHL Championship and advancing to the Memorial Cup in his rookie year, you gotta think his stock has just rose a ton.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:20 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
After winning the WHL Championship and advancing to the Memorial Cup in his rookie year, you gotta think his stock has just rose a ton.
The exposure in such a high profile event certainly shouldn't hurt him any if he keeps playing as well as he has been. The points have somewhat dried up during the last series, but he played really well nonetheless, imo.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

So...next year's draft have 2 Jonathan Toews? Sean Monahan and Curtis Lazar?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
The exposure in such a high profile event certainly shouldn't hurt him any if he keeps playing as well as he has been. The points have somewhat dried up during the last series, but he played really well nonetheless, imo.
The points dried up but the chances didn't. He's been playing well. He was absolutely robbed in game 6. It looked like a guaranteed goal.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Lazar is going to be over-hyped if he isn't already. Not knocking the kid at all, but playing really good hockey in Edmonton will get you noticed.

He'll be just outside the top 5 in my opinion. People will know who he is though, he's not going to sneak his way into the draft.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:02 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Man were gunna have a sick WJC and scary is that its gunna be loaded with 17year olds...

Shinkaruk, Mackinnon, Lazar, Duclair, Fucale, Ekblad ????(96)

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:08 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
So...next year's draft have 2 Jonathan Toews? Sean Monahan and Curtis Lazar?
Intangible overload.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:51 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Man were gunna have a sick WJC and scary is that its gunna be loaded with 17year olds...

Shinkaruk, Mackinnon, Lazar, Duclair, Fucale, Ekblad ????(96)
Don't forget Monahan.

Seriously, though, I'll be surprised if we have more than 1 underager, which will probably be MacKinnon. Monahan, Shinkaruk, and Lazar might challenge late into the selection process, too, but will probably be passed over for "experience".

Old
05-14-2012, 01:02 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Lazar has a few similar traits to Toews IMO.
That's who I think of when I think of a comparable for Lazar.

Or maybe Jamie Benn.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:05 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Or maybe Jamie Benn.
Yeah, all three can bring it any way you want it, for sure.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Or maybe Jamie Benn.
I like my comparables to shoot the same way, so that's why I said Doan.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:49 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Don't forget Monahan.

Seriously, though, I'll be surprised if we have more than 1 underager, which will probably be MacKinnon. Monahan, Shinkaruk, and Lazar might challenge late into the selection process, too, but will probably be passed over for "experience".
Our team will he amazing !!

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

I think Hockey Canada should definately consider taking Curtis to the WJC's next winter. Hockey Canada has stuck to their older, more experienced guys, but that doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully next year they bring in some more young guns, (Lazar, Mackinnon, Monahan, Ekblad, Shinkaruk)

Old
05-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
I think Hockey Canada should definately consider taking Curtis to the WJC's next winter. Hockey Canada has stuck to their older, more experienced guys, but that doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully next year they bring in some more young guns, (Lazar, Mackinnon, Monahan, Ekblad, Shinkaruk)
I wouldn't be shocked to see 1-2 of those guys on the team, but 3-4+ will not happen. I still like the idea of sticking with experience.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Have a hard time coming up with a comparison for him, because lots of times I will look for a comparable player that plays the same position and shoots the same way. That's virtually impossible for Lazar because he's a RH centre, that is more of a sniper than passer.

Ignoring the position aspect of things, I would say a guy like Shane Doan is an ok comparison.
The more I have watched of Doan and Lazar in their teams playoffs the more I agree with this comparison

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote