HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Almost Traded Dustin Brown

Old
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Pucknut50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Nothing he said has any meaning or impact. The Kings should be considering a trade that includes Brown today, that is what their job is.
Wooty you sir should never consider being a GM. I guarantee 100% that the last thing DL is thinking about is trading DB. Knowing DL he's looking in the mirror with loving eyes.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:41 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Wooty you sir should never consider being a GM. I guarantee 100% that the last thing DL is thinking about is trading DB. Knowing DL he's looking in the mirror with loving eyes.
I believe you are mis-interpreting this statement. I don't think he's saying they should trade Brown - he's saying that it's a GM's job to consider any deal, regardless of how good or bad.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Wooty is right.
It's called due-diligence. While DL probably isn't looking to trade Brown, he has to consider every offer made. If Pittsburgh called up the day after we win the Cup & wants to trade Malkin, Crosby, and their next 20 1st round picks for Brown, he'd probably say yes.
Everyday, like a good GM, DL has to ask himself these questions

What can I do to make my team better today?

What can I do to make my team better tomorrow?

Why doesn't my zipper stay up? Seriously. I know I pulled it all the way up when I put on my pants. What the hell?

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Wooty is right.
I stopped reading after this. Sticking to the facts, I like it.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Is that true still? Teams can elect to not honor a NTC/NMC if they acquire the player before it kicks in like the Kings did with Richards. In fact, they can void it from the contract completely. Does anyone know if LA did that or not? I was told Columbus did it to Carter's deal.
Dean always honors them once they have kicked in. We didn't give Smyth his trade clause. Even though Richards hadn't yet, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he honored it. Capgeek says he doesn't and Carter's doesn't have one because of Columbus eliminating it. Just have to wait and see, but it looks like we didn't.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 05-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That sounds more like something the Sharks want for Nabokov. There was a similar rumor being floated around the 2006 draft when the Kings were in talks with Florida to acquire Roberto Luongo, but Lombardi wouldn't make a deal without Luongo signing a contract extension.

There was also the rumored trade that would have sent Frolov and Stoll to San Jose for Patrick Marleau in a three-way trade with Ottawa, with the Sharks receiving Heatley and sending Frolov and Stoll in exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Never heard this one, but I know Blake was offered for Nabokov and Blake wouldn't waive his NTC. Just one more thing that endears him to all Kings fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
DL must have really hated frolov if this is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
This rumor reminds me of the Kopitar for Khabibulin rumor that was floated around and was laughed at. I would bet everything I own that Dean never offered that, and if for some reason it was discussed, it was because Dean inquired and the Sharks countered with that. Mainly because of the reason we are sitting here today with two Kings drafted goaltenders. Dean Lombardi's #1 mission statement when he first joined the team, like it was with the Sharks, which resonated the first half of his tenure here in LA, was to draft and develop LA's own starting goaltending talent. He was never serious about acquiring any #1's or elites around the league, other than maybe trading for a young Luongo at the very beginning and drafting a Bernier to have a long continuation, but he was mainly only interested in stopgap goaltenders that could get us to Bernier or someone else internally. There is no way that was offered from the Kings, that is like saying the Capitals were considering a deal of Clowe, Pavelski, and Niemi for Vokoun at the deadline.

I won't deny that Dean probably asked about Nabby, but to say that he offered the farm for him is ridiculous. I could see him offering Rob Blake or a small/moderate price for him as a stopgap and mentor for his young goaltenders, but never as a serious option of we are spending big for an elite goaltender to take us to glory. Dean wanted a young goaltender to develop for the core because he wanted the team to grow and always be in competition because of that starting talent, like Kipper in Calgary. They are always right on the bubble there because they have had a fantastic starter that guarantees them 35-40+ wins for almost a decade.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2...ory?id=2499824

It says DL offered, but Wilson declined (damnit).

BTW, you guys have something special going on this postseason.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2...ory?id=2499824

It says DL offered, but Wilson declined (damnit).

BTW, you guys have something special going on this postseason.
I can't recall a single Kings rumor, or any other team for that matter, that he has gotten correct. Not to mention that ESPN, outside of LeBrun, doesn't carry a whole lot of weight in this area. It just says that he believes he heard from a source that that was what the deal was. In the end, we really know nothing about what is taking place behind the scenes, though I would stake my life on that deal never being offered to San Jose. Just have to wait for DL to retire and ask him or read it in his tell-all book

An amusing thread to read if anyone wants to go down memory lane of the Kopitar for Khabibulin garbage: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=549539

Some very stellar quotes in there.

Last edited by Telos: 05-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:42 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Ahh...the coveted "gotcha" post. You got him I guess, but it's a little creepy to open the search function and investigate someone's past posts.
Leonard Washington did that to me a few days ago to bump a two-month old thread. Total ***** move.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:47 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
So if the Penguins wanted to trade Malkin and Staal for Brown, you're saying it would be foolish to consider it?

As unrealistic as that trade is, the point that Wooty was making is that every player can be traded. Gretzky was traded. It's the GM's job to make his team better, even if that means trading a player like Brown.

For the record, I am probably one of the biggest Brown homers on this board, and I would HATE to see him traded. Just pointing out that Wooty is correct.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:07 AM
bland

Remember the circumstances at the time? Brown was on pace for his worst season since his rookie year, was a steadfast supporter of the recently fired coach, and had been contributing next to nothing for weeks on end. Conjecture had it that Lombardi was so ticked off that he was ready for a clean sweep of his core leadership group and was strongly considering 11-12 as a lost year, and ready to hand the team over to Richards this summer.

The rumors I had heard were that the Johnson for Carter deal was being discussed for a while, and that Lombardi was hesitating on a deal that didn't involve acquiring another young blueliner with potential. Toronto may or may not have called out of the blue to offer Kulemin or MacArthur and Schenn for Brown, and while that was being thought over, Buffalo got in and offered Stafford and yep, Myers for Brown.

I don't think Lombardi ever shopped Brown, but did consider offers. Once it hit the media, it turned into a pleasant motivational surprise, and Lombardi let that steep for a while to see how Brown would react. He has his answer.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Dean always honors them once they have kicked in. We didn't give Smyth his trade clause. Even though Richards hadn't yet, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he honored it. Capgeek says he doesn't and Carter's doesn't have one because of Columbus eliminating it. Just have to wait and see, but it looks like we didn't.
Once they kick in you have to honor them. You can only void them before they kick in, like Carter in Columbus. I'd assume DL did the same with Richards, only makes sense to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Buffalo got in and offered Stafford and yep, Myers for Brown.
Myers? I never heard that. I heard of Stafford-plus for Brown, but Myers? that'd be like us trading Doughty pretty much.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

Myers? I never heard that. I heard of Stafford-plus for Brown, but Myers? that'd be like us trading Doughty pretty much.
Myers is more like trading Johnson.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote