HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

WCF Gm#2 5/15/’12 : KINGS Defeat COYOTES 4-0, Lead Series 2-0

Old
05-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Monarchist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Do any of you guys feel really happy of the win? I really dont know, I feel disgusted, Phoenix didn't have goals on their mind, they were out for blood. Im glad we won, but i dont know the win doesn't mean much, that was just really dirty. Im really upset.
I felt no happiness or disgust or satisfaction etc., just anger. And now it's gone down some.

Anger at Smith and Hanzal.

Anger at the refs.

Anger at Lewis and Brown for making themselves more vulnerable than necessary.

Anger at King for bumping Smith exactly as hard as the minimum that deserves a penalty (it was a good call), and not the slightest bit harder, and then seeing Smith dive like a *****. My hands started shaking uncontrollably after that.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:30 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Looks like you might have missed something...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Slycer

If suspension/penalties are handed down, when could we expect news of this? What's the usual mean-time?

Slycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:45 AM
stanleycupcrazy

I am so happy with the win!! It was total domination out there. But I have lost all respect for the coyotes! Their cheap shots and attempts at intimidation were pathetic. Besides, they will only fire the kings up more and make it even more sweet once we beat them. It was brilliant to see us rise above their cheap tactics and punish them for it on the powerplays. All in all it was an outstanding performance by everyone and we have phoenix exactly where we want them!!

stanleycupcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:41 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Three rounds of DOMINATION! I don't think anyone saw this coming. This is why I love NHL playoffs; there is always a team, for whatever reason, have everything clicking. You guys should appreciate the game and enjoy the ride. It truly is a marvel to see the Kings do well, all those years of underachieving have finally paid off. Coach Sutter deserves some credit too, he brought Calgary to the finals with the same type of intensity, L.A look good in all areas and have a ton to be proud of.

Just enjoy it!

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:08 AM
unhinged97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
I felt no happiness or disgust or satisfaction etc., just anger. And now it's gone down some.

Anger at Smith and Hanzal.

Anger at the refs.

Anger at Lewis and Brown for making themselves more vulnerable than necessary.

Anger at King for bumping Smith exactly as hard as the minimum that deserves a penalty (it was a good call), and not the slightest bit harder, and then seeing Smith dive like a *****. My hands started shaking uncontrollably after that.
Jeez. It's a game. I don't know how you can could get so worked up over it. It pissed me off, but not to the point I couldn't control my bodily functions.

unhinged97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:49 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Tippett's post game interview is very telling. The Coyotes are just hoping to hang around in games against the Kings and then get a late goal to win.

That type of play obviously worked against Chicago and Nashville. The Kings are going to have none of that and are forcing a pace on Phoenix that they just aren't dealing with very well.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:09 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Tippett's post game interview is very telling. The Coyotes are just hoping to hang around in games against the Kings and then get a late goal to win.

That type of play obviously worked against Chicago and Nashville. The Kings are going to have none of that and are forcing a pace on Phoenix that they just aren't dealing with very well.
You could see it in Tippets face, He knows PHX can't handle LA's size/speed/Relentless fore check.

How in the world has Sutter got these guys to be so Relentless on the puck ?

Has anyone on this board played Hockey like this ?>

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:12 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
If suspension/penalties are handed down, when could we expect news of this? What's the usual mean-time?
Today I would imagine, given that the game is tomorrow.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Just re-watching the game on DVR since it's hard to follow the details when your out watching it.

- Penner had a fantastic game. He not only made a great pass to Carter for the 2nd goal, he made the entire play happen, chipped it in and just physically owned the defender allowing Richards to come out of the corner with it.

- And major props to Penner for coming to the aid of Voynov and Richardson after the late hit on the offsides. I have never seen Penner so angry or physical as he was on that play.
And it only cost the Kings Tuebert and a first. If Penner helps bring a Stanley Cup to LA, all is forgiven.

Even if the Kings don't win the Cup, I would love to see Penner re-signed. With Sutter and after his divorce, he's playing like he used to play and he is in the best shape of his life.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
Hanzel has a hearing today, probably will get 1 game.

Nothing for Doan, Smith or Morris.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
You could see it in Tippets face, He knows PHX can't handle LA's size/speed/Relentless fore check.

The Kings forechecking style reminds me a lot of the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006, coached by Peter Laviollette. That year the Canes Cup run was founded on a relentless forecheck that gave the opposing defensemen no time to slow the game down. The Canes won pucks all over the ice and forced turnovers deep in the zone, leading to chances. Where many teams fall back and allow the opposing team time to pass the puck back and forth between defensemen, the Canes pushed two forwards into the zone and pressured every possession.

This type of a forecheck doesn't just result in a few more turnovers, but makes the defensemen constantly nervous. When you don't have time to even look up and find an open man, you tend to rush your passes and fail to clear the puck out of your zone. Soon you find yourself a step behind and paralyzed by the constant pressure. You end up on the wrong side of the puck.

This works really well against teams that don't have a top-flight, dominating defenseman. Players like Chara, Pronger, Weber can neutralize that kind of attack by retrieving the puck and physically denying the forechecker the puck. Players like Doughty apply little head fakes and find seams to move the puck up.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post

He did it in Calgary, but he didn't have the talent that Dean has assembled in LA. With the way they are playing, I don't see a weakness.

It's a different line that shows up every night. First game, Phoenix keyed on Richards line and Kopitar's line gets 2 goals. Now they key on Kopitar's line and Carter gets a hat trick. King now has 3 goals in this series. Penner was a beast against St. Louis and was huge tonight. Richards has been in playoff beast mode since game one against Vancouver. Lewis is a hitting machine. Mitchell has been in full beast mode. Scuderi is making few mistakes. Greene has played his best since Sutter was hired. Doesn't even take stupid penalties anymore.

The Kings defense is solid from 1-6. Just can't say enough about how Martinez has stepped up after Johnson was traded. Voynov is looking more comfortable against Phoenix and had a brilliant pass to Brown for the game 1 winner.

Quick is one of the top goalies in the NHL and has silenced his critics, I was one of them that was worried about this playoff struggles. Not worried anymore.

Sutter has the entire team focused on every game, period and shift. It's just amazing to watch all 4 lines just dominate for long stretches of time.

Phoenix is just outclassed and have no answer for anything the Kings are doing. Their only hope is to injure the Kings.

Who can we complain about right now? Carter was the last player left that the Kings needed more from and he scores a hat trick. Carter is backchecking, hitting and creating space and was finally rewarded with some goals.

Does anyone see Phoenix winning 4 of 5 games against the Kings?

Old
05-16-2012, 08:49 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Fewest playoff losses by Stanley Cup champion since playoff format became 4 rounds of 7 game series (1986-87):

1987-88 = Edmonton Oilers = 16-2

1st rd = 4-1 over Winnipeg
2nd rd = 4-0 over Calgary
3rd rd = 4-1 over Detroit
4th rd = 4-0 over Boston

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Hanzel has a hearing today, probably will get 1 game.

Nothing for Doan, Smith or Morris.
Where did you see that?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Where did you see that?
Guessing on the one game, but Kypreos tweeted that there isn't a hearing for Doan or Morris. Hanzel has a hearing later today.

No mention of Smith, so I assume he is clear.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
BloatedGuppy

Break up the Kings.

Seriously. Are you guys planning on losing more than one game this playoff year? I knew you guys were good, but I'd be lying if I said I knew you were THIS good.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:20 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
IF trends continue the Kings have a chance as an 8 seed to take out a 3, 2, and two number 1 seeds.

Trying to not get too ahead of myself but this could be one of the greatest "upsets" in all of sports history. They have a golden opportunity to do something people will talk about for a long time.

Unreal.
I'm surprised that I've yet to hear the term "Cinderella" in describing the Kings.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Man, it's pretty magical, I mean we all knew this team underachieved for the entire regular season, but I don't even think the most optimistic of fans could have seen a run like this...Did you see this coming RH63 and Josh Deitell?

It's past the point of no return, anything less than a Cup is going to be an emotional kick in the balls at this point. I am pretty optimistic about this teams chances though. I don't see a team left playing at a level close to what this squad is playing at. Dustin Brown just has that look in his eyes that I have seen in the past from guys like Messier, Yzerman, Toews and Sakic I'm not comparing him as a player or his skills to those guys, he just has that look in his eyes that he is not going to be denied this spring. I think visions of Brown getting boarded and slashed and face washed and everything in between and just continuing to shine will be one of my lasting memories of the 2012 playoffs.
At what point can we begin to make those comparisons? I mean, if the Kings won the Cup last night, my vote for Conn Smyth would be Brown, and that's quite a step in the direction of truly elite status.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
I'm surprised that I've yet to hear the term "Cinderella" in describing the Kings.
Surprisingly, I think enough people get where could and should have finished in the standings, and by how little we failed to do so.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Trust me KingLb when you know it's coming and off the boards like that it does not hurt. Played many years of hockey it's easy to embellish it. Ones that hurt are the ones your not expecting, off balance, or crouching down and go head first those are the ones that end your career. Brown is upright and balanced takes the hit and falls like a house of cards. I know the look he had on the bench it's the same one I used to have when I played. Is it smart no but us guys do dumb stuff to try to win a game.
But why take those risks in a game that you're dominating? I could see someone making a case that players on a team in a desperate situation might try something like you're saying, but not in a game where the Kings are well ahead.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Break up the Kings.

Seriously. Are you guys planning on losing more than one game this playoff year? I knew you guys were good, but I'd be lying if I said I knew you were THIS good.
For the most part we're as surprised as anybody. I'm still afraid that this is mass psychosis brought on by years of frustration.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
lumbergh

Does anyone have video of the Derek Morris kneeing? I caught a glimpse of it live, but couldn't tell how egregious it was.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I agree with you. But what pissesd me off, is that this type of hit has occured several times this last season, and the announcers have NEVER mentioned that the checkee turned his back to the checker. The checker really can't be expected to stop on a dime after he's committed to his check.

But now they bring it up when 2 Kings players get boarded in the WCF. That's b*******! This should have been mentioned many times before this.
Actually, they have, and quite often. The onus is on the hittee to not put himself in a position to get pounded. It's no different than Pietrangelo getting hit by King, Piet didn't help himself by putting himself in a bad position and he paid for it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

The only thing the Yotes have going for them in this series is that smokin' chick behind the bench. wow! You know Tippett had a peak or two during the last game.

It was certainly better to look at then his teams effort on the ice.

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/20...es-boobs-1.jpg

kovacro is offline   Reply With Quote