HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I cant stand Jeff Carter

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Reaper1097

vCash: 500
I cant stand Jeff Carter

First off, I dont want to rehash the trades from last summer, however, I would do them both again without hesitation because I feel the flyers were better this season and in the future but...

I just want to say how much I cant stand Jeff Carter. Everything about him makes me mad. He hid in his Sea Isle house for 3 days after he was traded to columbus. Then he wasnt man enough or a good enough player to excell in columbus so he cried, sulked, and dogged his way out of there and now he is gonna win a cup with the kings. I have no ill will towards mike richards at all and do not care one way or another if he wins the cup. But carter makes my skin crawl. I really think he is one of the most overated players in the league.

90% of the time I think his stats are hollow stats. I mean he gets a hat trick last night which is great and the media views him as a top sniper in the league. Well it was only the second game he scored in the entire playoffs and techinally they had no bearing on the outcome since Quick was lights out (as usual). You would never see him get a hat trick in a 4-3 playoff win. In fact, I can almost guarantee that if last nights game was 3-3 in the 3rd period and he had a chance to score he would have shot high and wide or directly into the goalies chest.

On paper he looks way better than he actually is IMO. He fails the eye test and his stats are so misleading. But he is gonna win a cup and it drives me nuts because outta every player on the kings I feel he deserves it least since he should still be trying to man up and turn columbus into a winner instead exactly like Jack Johnson did when got traded there.

Phew, I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

But I still cant stand Jeff Carter.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:32 AM
drownedsailors

Why don't you tell us how you really feel

Or you could write a book

Old
05-16-2012, 05:34 AM
BillDineen

I like Gagne, Williams and Richards, so I hope they win the cup. As to Jeff, I am just glad he is not a Flyer.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:48 AM
decadentia

There are many criticisms you can make about Jeff Carter, one of them being how many shots he takes...but you don't score 46 goals in a season by mistake.

He almost had 4 consecutive seasons where he scored 30 goals or more as well.

You're certainly allowed to not stand him, but don't let it cloud your judgement to the point of negating everything about him. He was a substantial part of this teams success (seasonal at the very least) these last 5 or so years.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post

90% of the time I think his stats are hollow stats. I mean he gets a hat trick last night which is great and the media views him as a top sniper in the league. Well it was only the second game he scored in the entire playoffs and techinally they had no bearing on the outcome since Quick was lights out (as usual). You would never see him get a hat trick in a 4-3 playoff win. In fact, I can almost guarantee that if last nights game was 3-3 in the 3rd period and he had a chance to score he would have shot high and wide or directly into the goalies chest.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
There are many criticisms you can make about Jeff Carter, one of them being how many shots he takes...but you don't score 46 goals in a season by mistake.

You're certainly allowed to not stand him, but don't let it cloud your judgement to the point of negating everything about him. He was a substantial part of this teams success (seasonal at the very least) these last 5 or so years.
I dont deny that statistically he is a very good player and his 08-09 season was a great season but he did finish that season with 1 goal in a 6 playoff games and missed a slam dunk goal at the end of game two that would have changed the entire outlook of the series. I still believe that when push came to shove in crucial situation, especially the playoffs, he would dissappear for the flyers. One game he would have a chance to tie or win it late in the 3rd period and he couldnt do it.

But the next game the flyers would be up 3-1 or down 4-0 in 3rd and he would score 2 meaningless goals. Now his stats would show he is averaging a goal game but they would be stats that are empty. does that make any sense?

Old
05-16-2012, 07:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
He hid in his Sea Isle house for 3 days after he was traded to columbus.
Just wondering what your reaction would be if you were relocated to another city (in Ohio no less) by your employer against your will after just being promised you were staying in your current city for the next (give or take) 11 years.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:53 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post

Totally agree with this.

To the OP:

I also don't really understand why anyone cares that he was sad he was traded. Why is that something to hate? The guy loved it here, signed a long term deal to be here, and was traded a few months later...to Columbus. You would be upset too.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Just wondering what your reaction would be if you were relocated to another city (in Ohio no less) by your employer against your will after just being promised you were staying in your current city for the next (give or take) 11 years.
I am not a professional athlete. My field of work doesnt include sudden relocations, however, being a professional athlete making millions of dollars a year might have to deal with this issue. Once they have enough vested time a player earns the right to have a NMC and then they have a little more control, however, until then it comes with the territory. If they dont like that aspect of the profession then maybe they shouldve chosen another line of work. I hate when people compare a middle class worker and a professional athlete. It is stupid.

With that said, because he was a whiny little prima-donna, he set columbus back a few more years. A franchise that is already struggling in their existence. What they traded to philly was more than what they recieved from the Kings. Jack Johnson is nice player, but not as much potential as voracek and especially couturier.

I have no problem with any ex flyer or any other player on the roster winning the cup on the kings. Just Carter and it is just my opinion that he doesnt deserve it. Guys like Quick, Brown, and Kopitar deserve.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:19 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I am not a professional athlete. My field of work doesnt include sudden relocations, however, being a professional athlete making millions of dollars a year might have to deal with this issue. Once they have enough vested time a player earns the right to have a NMC and then they have a little more control, however, until then it comes with the territory. If they dont like that aspect of the profession then maybe they shouldve chosen another line of work. I hate when people compare a middle class worker and a professional athlete. It is stupid.

With that said, because he was a whiny little prima-donna, he set columbus back a few more years. A franchise that is already struggling in their existence. What they traded to philly was more than what they recieved from the Kings. Jack Johnson is nice player, but not as much potential as voracek and especially couturier.

I have no problem with any ex flyer or any other player on the roster winning the cup on the kings. Just Carter and it is just my opinion that he doesnt deserve it. Guys like Quick, Brown, and Kopitar deserve.
So you hate Jeff Carter because he LOVED Philadelphia so much, he was sad to leave...

Carter did have a NTC but it didn't kick in yet. He was blindsided. He was clearly under the impression he'd be staying. If he knew he wasn't in their plans, he probably would have signed a short term deal (for more AAV); that way if he WAS traded to a Columbus, it wouldn't be...for the next 11 years of his life (or essentially his entire career).

I'm sick and tired of the "they're professional athletes" argument. Yes they are, and yes they're rich; but they are still people too. Carter made a commitment to THIS team (he asked for, and got, the NTC to prove it), and then he was dumped.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Reaper1097

So you hate Jeff Carter because he LOVED Philadelphia so much, he was sad to leave...

Carter did have a NTC but it didn't kick in yet. He was blindsided. He was clearly under the impression he'd be staying. If he knew he wasn't in their plans, he probably would have signed a short term deal (for more AAV); that way if he WAS traded to a Columbus, it wouldn't be...for the next 11 years of his life (or essentially his entire career).

I'm sick and tired of the "they're professional athletes" argument. Yes they are, and yes they're rich; but they are still people too. Carter made a commitment to THIS team (he asked for, and got, the NTC to prove it), and then he was dumped.[/QUOTE]

I dont hate jeff carter for loving philly. Philly is a great place to live and work IMO. But I do hate comparing normal jobs to that of professional athletes. Obviously they are people with feelings too, but they all know that the possibility of being suddenly traded is there. It is part of the business. Yes, he had a NTC but he wasnt in the league long enough for it to take effect, therefore, there was still a chance he could be traded.

did the flyers mislead him? I am sure they did but I am also sure he wasnt the first player and he defintely wont be the last to be blindsided by their team

Did Carter like here? that is obvious as well and I am sure he wouldnt have signed the extenstion like that if he didnt but I still never once heard of a player bunkering himself inside of his house for a week because he was so upset only to emerge after the new coach, GM, & best player were forced to get on a plane and coax him outta the house. that is ridiculous. that is childess. that is selfish.

and now he dogged his way onto a championship team. Screwing columbus in the process

Old
05-16-2012, 08:48 AM
facts

typical Carter, no goals in 99 shifts prior, fluffing around the ice and then a hat trick, eh , wasnt a fan before so no worries.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I never really disliked him and actually felt bad for him when he was traded. However, the way he sulked his way out of columbus made me lose any respect for him. Rooting against the kings for that reason because instead of working hard and trying to make columbus a contender, he forced himself out to get on a contender. Pretty chicken-**** move imo...

Old
05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
And, when you asked your boss about the rumour that they were thinking of transferring your job to Columbus, he advised you that they were not sending you anywhere, all this a week before you were transferred. Of course, in a normal job market, in that situation, one would immediately begin looking for a new job. No wonder he was pissed. And again, why was Richards traded?- oh yes- so that the Flyers can be a contender for years to come.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:51 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

he only scores in blowouts

yeah i said it

Old
05-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
I never really disliked him and actually felt bad for him when he was traded. However, the way he sulked his way out of columbus made me lose any respect for him. Rooting against the kings for that reason because instead of working hard and trying to make columbus a contender, he forced himself out to get on a contender. Pretty chicken-**** move imo...
Couldnt agree more.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:27 AM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
he only scores in blowouts

yeah i said it
very true, I don't remember many of his goals in Philly that weren't follwed by polka music. He is the parsley on the plate most nights

Old
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
And, when you asked your boss about the rumour that they were thinking of transferring your job to Columbus, he advised you that they were not sending you anywhere, all this a week before you were transferred. Of course, in a normal job market, in that situation, one would immediately begin looking for a new job. No wonder he was pissed.
That was one raw $58,000,000 deal, for sure.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I dont mind him, I dont see any team beating the Kings. Hell, I dont see them losing another game right now. I just hope Gagne could be healthy enough just to play 1 game in the finals.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
toughfighter83*

that's the thing i think richards and carter didnt want to play for lav even though they went to finals and they didnt show anything in the finals or last year's playoffs, they wanted to play for stevens, which they got their wish and they are playing better in LA, i mean they're other players on that team too, it's not just them. i mean if they stayed here, the flyers could be in the same pattern because when stevens was fired, carter and richards were very unhappy about it, so they didnt play right after that.

you cant be hindsight about it, you just dont know what happens.

if they win the cup they are not the reason they won it, it's goaltending and defense, the flyers have goaltending but they dont have defense.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
that's the thing i think richards and carter didnt want to play for lav even though they went to finals and they didnt show anything in the finals or last year's playoffs, they wanted to play for stevens, which they got their wish and they are playing better in LA, i mean they're other players on that team too, it's not just them. i mean if they stayed here, the flyers could be in the same pattern because when stevens was fired, carter and richards were very unhappy about it, so they didnt play right after that.

you cant be hindsight about it, you just dont know what happens.

if they win the cup they are not the reason they won it, it's goaltending and defense, the flyers have goaltending but they dont have defense.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

this thread has given me a headache reading some of the stupid ******** in it.

if only Niemi didnt make that great save on him. or MAF.

people need to let it go. seriously.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
mirimon

I hope Carter has the cup clinching goal. Things would be hilarious around here.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Norm MacDonald

This organization treated him terribly, and he left with class. It's Columbus's fault for trying to trick a player into playing there unwillingly for a decade.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
This organization treated him terribly, and he left with class. It's Columbus's fault for trying to trick a player into playing there unwillingly for a decade.
Yeah stupid columbus for thinking carter would be professional instead of being a giant sulking baby the entire time there.

Closed Thread