HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Should we re-sign G Joacim Eriksson?

Old
05-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Where does he play? I was under the impression that Hovinen was likely going to play in Adirondack next season. We already have one guy to adapt to the North American game plus Cal Heeter who goes somewhere.
Yes hovinen is more then likely starting there and actually splitting time with heeter, Ericsson wanted an NHL shot that's the reason why he wasn't signed, refused to play in ahl apparently

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:18 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What is the fascination with this kid? He was ditched by the Flyers, passed on by 30 teams in seven rounds of the following draft, then not offered a contract by any of those same 30 teams afterwards. I know his YouTube clips are pretty impressive, but why do people think this kid is going to be anything special while the professional scouts of 30 teams don't seem to think he is even worth a shot?
I don't think a single player has re-entered the draft and been selected since before the lockout.
Teams prefer to take the 18 and 19 year olds that their amateur scouts spent the year following.
It is more valuable to select a younger player that is less of a known commodity and see what happens, especially when older players that re-enter the draft will be available without spending a pick right after the draft.

As for your claim that he was not offered a contract, care to back that up with a source?
Not signing a contract and not even being offered a contract are very different things.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:25 AM
FlyersFan61290

I think it would be a smart move.

I would love to see Hovinen and Eriksson get time with the phantoms next season.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't think a single player has re-entered the draft and been selected since before the lockout.
Teams prefer to take the 18 and 19 year olds that their amateur scouts spent the year following.
It is more valuable to select a younger player that is less of a known commodity and see what happens, especially when older players that re-enter the draft will be available without spending a pick right after the draft.

As for your claim that he was not offered a contract, care to back that up with a source?
Not signing a contract and not even being offered a contract are very different things.
Ericsson wasn't offered a contract. I don't have a source, but it's widely known around here.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
You could have said the same thing about Hovinen at one point. He was a 2006 draft pick that went unsigned and overlooked until last year. It's not really proof that someone lacks the ability to make it.

Eriksson has been great every year except last year so it is puzzling why they gave up on someone who has been nothing but successful.
That's all well and good, but fans who have only seen him on YouTube and read about him on Twitter complaining that they let him go and now want to sign him while other GM's and scouts aren't interested is silly. It would be one thing if the kid was getting interest from other teams or something like that, but he isn't. It would be very shocking to me if 100 fans on HFBoards knew better than 100 professional scouts. The Flyers liked Hovinen better and they went with him. They aren't interested and neither is the rest of the NHL. If in two years he signs with someone else, great. But right now this guy is a nobody and it isn't great hockey policy to waste a contract on a nobody who may never set foot on North American ice. People get on Homer for wasting contracts all the time, but now a guy that fans like because he has good YouTube clips and Bill Meltzer wrote about him one time is a great move even though he was ditched once by this team for another player, not drafted, then not offered a contract.

Maybe they should sign Bodrov too. He has such a high ceiling and is playing very well in the KHL! Did you guys see his YouTube clips??? Or that tweet from EuroFlyers???

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's all well and good, but fans who have only seen him on YouTube and read about him on Twitter complaining that they let him go and now want to sign him while other GM's and scouts aren't interested is silly. It would be one thing if the kid was getting interest from other teams or something like that, but he isn't. It would be very shocking to me if 100 fans on HFBoards knew better than 100 professional scouts. The Flyers liked Hovinen better and they went with him. They aren't interested and neither is the rest of the NHL. If in two years he signs with someone else, great. But right now this guy is a nobody and it isn't great hockey policy to waste a contract on a nobody who may never set foot on North American ice. People get on Homer for wasting contracts all the time, but now a guy that fans like because he has good YouTube clips and Bill Meltzer wrote about him one time is a great move even though he was ditched once by this team for another player, not drafted, then not offered a contract.

Maybe they should sign Bodrov too. He has such a high ceiling and is playing very well in the KHL! Did you guys see his YouTube clips??? Or that tweet from EuroFlyers???
Hovinen is scary lol did you see his commercial he has for the pelicans? Obviously not real but pretty funny
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fWIgyY0lQLw

Old
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Ericsson wasn't offered a contract. I don't have a source, but it's widely known around here.
Yeah he wasn't, he demanded an NHL **** right away

Old
05-20-2012, 07:45 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

It depends on what goaltenders they decide to bring back this offseason.

Leighton, Backlund, Bob, Bacashihua could all be gone.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
rWoHockeyman88

I don't know much about Ericksson, but I can't imagine they would want to draft a player twice. I would like to see them go after Michael Houser though. Pennsylvania kid playing well with the Knights, used to the North American rink, and has attended training camp with the Flyers.

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by rWoHockeyman88 View Post
I don't know much about Ericksson, but I can't imagine they would want to draft a player twice. I would like to see them go after Michael Houser though. Pennsylvania kid playing well with the Knights, used to the North American rink, and has attended training camp with the Flyers.
He's no longer eligible to be drafted... he's a free agent.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Even better, we grab him like they did Matt Read

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:36 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Time to bump this thread. It's funny reading the comments from the first two pages.

Things like, it's ok, we're going to use BOB and Bryz. Yeah, he had a good season, but everyone else passed on him. We signed Hoivonen in his place, etc...

Another year has gone by and he put up a 1.67GAA with a .931SA%...a year after putting up a 1.73GAA and .935SA%.

I don't care what the reasons nobody has signed him are. I don't care if he's demanding a starting role in the NHL...at this point, with where our club is, I give it to him.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Is there reason to believe that this is lingering ... animosity?... between his camp and the organization?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Those kind of numbers and no NHL teams interested? There has to be more to the story.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Now that he's an UFA the Flyers could sign him 1yr, promise him he'll at worst be AHL starter or he gets to go home.

Our only goalie is Bryz, no NHL back up, Heeter and Stolarz haven't proven themselves even at the AHL level. Top goalies in the SEL are usually almost NHL back up material.

He could be our Fasssttthh.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I wonder how Little feels about Bob and Sunshine. I'd be happy that the guys I scouted are doing well but ticked to see them not with the org.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:41 PM
hockeyfreak7

Maybe he just wants to stay in Sweden? That very possibly could be the reason we didn't sign him in the first place. Would also explain why he hasn't signed anywhere else...

Was there ever a statement made by the Flyers where they admitted they chose not to sign him?

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

From what I've read I'd really like the Flyers to sign him. He was what a 7th round draft pick? Hmmm what other elite goalie was drafted very late and is one of the best goaltenders in the league

...Not that it really has any correlation.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Now that he's an UFA the Flyers could sign him 1yr, promise him he'll at worst be AHL starter or he gets to go home.

Our only goalie is Bryz, no NHL back up, Heeter and Stolarz haven't proven themselves even at the AHL level. Top goalies in the SEL are usually almost NHL back up material.

He could be our Fasssttthh.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I'm thinking he's looking to skip the AHL altogether.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:21 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Couldn't be worse that Leighton. He could definitely be a backup on this team, if not more

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't know if he is, but with those numbers, he should.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Rolex

IIRC, Ericksson would come over only if he was guaranteed a spot on the Flyers roster he didn't want a spot in the AHL. His performance in the SEL has show that he probably has the quality to be an NHL back up at this time. If he'd sign, the Flyers would be well served to take him on before he goes with another organization and we have Bob Pt. II.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
They might as well sign him for next year if they can and make him backup. I think it's hard to believe he's not an improvement over Leighton or Boosh.

03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They might as well sign him for next year if they can and make him backup. I think it's hard to believe he's not an improvement over Leighton or Boosh.
Agreed completely. He's younger than any of the other goalies on the market, and he's FREE.

I've said it a lot, but taking Hovinen over him was a mistake...

Though the idea of him wanting NHL immediately seems like a plausible theory.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote