Notices

Alex Semin, take a chance?

Old
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

vCash: 50
Alex Semin, take a chance?

The mentality in Calgary is win now, do you think Feaster makes a big run at Semin?

Would YOU take a chance with him for a 1 or 2 year deal?

I personally would, he's an extremely skilled player, but you only see that 30% of the year. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him to get his game back?

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Snazu

vCash: 500
No thanks. A lot of people have mentioned him while talking about how the flames can improve their team, but I don't think he would be worth the money that he's going to want. There's a lot better ways I'd like to see calgary spend that kind of money. Maybe if he signs a contract for dirt cheap, I might not feel as bad if they signed him, but he's a very streaky player that will drive all us flames fans crazy.

Snazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Medium Rare*

I hate him, but yes, sign him.

He is arguably the most skilled UFA out there and we could get him without giving up an asset. While he won't be a cog in a championship team IMO, he is good enough to be a guy to help us be a playoff team during this rebuild process the Flames are going through.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

On a 1-2 year deal? Absolutely.

3+ years? Hell no.

But there's no way he's signing here on a 1-2 year deal. Somebody will pay big money for long term on this guy. I don't think it should be us.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Yes I have been advocating for it for awhile now. He is a much more complete player than given credit for and he wants a chance to be a go to guy which he could be here.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Cammy - Cervenka - Semin
Baertschi - Backlund - Glencross
Bouma - Jones - Aliu

Not a bad forward line-up. Could still use a top line centre....

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I don't like Semin at all either, but I'd probably make him an offer. Most I'd do is 3yrs @ 4.5 million. And I wouldn't be all that broke up if we missed out on him either, I'm expecting Baertschi to be filling that role next year. Baertschi may even outscore Semin next year and at a fraction of the price.

My forward lineup with Semin would be this (trade Stajan):

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Semin Cervenka Glencross
Baertschi Backlund Comeau/Nemisz
Bouma Jones Jackman

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

I'd be surprised if Feaster didn't make an offer. I'd be even more surprised if Semin signed here. My guess is he signs with the Wings for 18M/3yrs.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I'd be surprised if Feaster didn't make an offer. I'd be even more surprised if Semin signed here. My guess is he signs with the Wings for 18M/3yrs.
He would be a fantastic fit on the Wings IMO. Detroit does a better job than any other team in the NHL at 'fitting' players into their system. Just wondering how the other players would feel about the youth movement lol.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't like Semin at all either, but I'd probably make him an offer. Most I'd do is 3yrs @ 4.5 million. And I wouldn't be all that broke up if we missed out on him either, I'm expecting Baertschi to be filling that role next year. Baertschi may even outscore Semin next year and at a fraction of the price.

My forward lineup with Semin would be this (trade Stajan):

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Semin Cervenka Glencross
Baertschi Backlund Comeau/Nemisz
Bouma Jones Jackman
Who do you expect to trade Stajan to, and for what? Putting it in brackets is probably easier said than done lol.

I'm thinking Stajan can be traded to the Jets, Hawks, or possibly the Yotes. But if he can be traded, then why not bring back Jokinen?

Old
05-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Who do you expect to trade Stajan to, and for what? Putting it in brackets is probably easier said than done lol.

I'm thinking Stajan can be traded to the Jets, Hawks, or possibly the Yotes. But if he can be traded, then why not bring back Jokinen?
LOL!

My pick would actually be the Stars, I could see him fitting into their roster and cap system quite nicely. I could see Stajan going maybe to the Jets, and maybe Phoenix if they don't resign Langkow. Otherwise they already have Boedker, Langkow and Hanzal.

And I would prefer to slide Cammy over to C instead of resigning Jokinen because I want top 6 players playing in top 6 positions. Assuming Cervenka succeeds here, I actually REALLY like my top 9 and think that would be a playoff lineup.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:12 PM
SB47

Semin would fit right in... with all the laziness we have in this team.

SB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

On a short deal, sure. I think a centre should be top priority though.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
LOL!

My pick would actually be the Stars, I could see him fitting into their roster and cap system quite nicely. I could see Stajan going maybe to the Jets, and maybe Phoenix if they don't resign Langkow. Otherwise they already have Boedker, Langkow and Hanzal.

And I would prefer to slide Cammy over to C instead of resigning Jokinen because I want top 6 players playing in top 6 positions. Assuming Cervenka succeeds here, I actually REALLY like my top 9 and think that would be a playoff lineup.
The Stars would be a good fit for him. If we can get back Scott Glennie, I'd be happy. Then we would have the coin to pursue some free agents, whether it's Semin, Jokinen, Stoll, Grossman, or Carle.

Personally I would prefer to play the young guys on the bottom six than sign a crap load of free agents. Aliu, Jones, and Comeau (if had cheap) would make a solid, young checking line, while Baertschi, Backlund, and maybe Nemisz could make a top-six-in-the-making line. Although Nemisz didn't show to be NHL ready last year, so Moss or someone acquired could work.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Volica

Semin is all kinds of talented, and in my honest opinion, he's gotten a stigma to him that although he partially deserves... It has been blown out of proportion.

He's a definite second liner, with first line upside (If he feels like playing, and is playing with talent), but it seems Calgary is already filled with players like this (of course none quite as talented as Semin). His contract will be a 5-5.5 ball park, although it's pretty steep, on a two-three year deal is swallow-able. I honestly think that he'll be looking for something like a 6 year, 32/33 million dollar deal (and will get it from someone).

When I got the news that Červenka had been signed in Calgary, I was excited (because I knew of him, I knew of his game) but also put off. Most of my ideal Calgary Flames alterations were on the Blue line, because I honestly thought given the right opportunity some of these kids could probably fill in second line responsibilities.

Červenka is definitely at minimum a second line center in Calgary, with the ability to maybe even move into first line duties depending on chemistry and his ability in the NHL. With his signing, Olli is gone (which is too bad, because if I was making a team, having Jokinen as my second line center would be amazing). If you look at Calgary, there seems to be a log jam of talent cluttering around that second line now.

In my honest opinion, I really wanted to see Backlund get the second line in Calgary. Get the second line and not be piddle paddled around until he's centering the fourth because he hasn't been playing well. I wanted to see Calgary finally give the kid a line, and stick with it through thick and thin...

Before seeing as Červenka was signed, I saw:

Tangs - Cammy - Iggy (this is an NHL top line, lacking some size; but still a line that should be good for 200 points a season if everyone's healthy)
Sven - Backlund - X (I had some trade ideas for this X, but seeing as this isn't going to happen no need, little to say, this was a young offensive line, but should be a second line used to play against 3rd lines at home)
Glencross - Jones - Aliu/Nemisz (A bruiser line, scoring touch, but most importantly allllll kinds of physical play)
Bouma - Horak - Y (whoever is playing well, but also, who is defensively responsible)
13th -> Jacks when you're dealing with the Gooners.

Now that Červenka is part of the team, it's hard to say where he fits, however, after signing him... Mr. Radulov & Mr. Semin would be ALL kinds of sexy on the second between Červenka.

The goal would be: 1) Get Alex Semin on a 2-3 year deal worth 11.5 for 2 or 16 for 3.
2) Get the RFA rights to Radulov from Nashville. Will more than likely cost 2nd rounder + higher end prospect (minimum).
3) Trade/Free buyout Matt Stajan.

If I woke up one morning and I knew Calgary had:
Tangs - Cammy - Iggy
Semin - Červenka - Radulov
Glencross - Backlund - Sven

I would definitely learn how to do cartwheels.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I hate him, but yes, sign him.

He is arguably the most skilled UFA out there and we could get him without giving up an asset. While he won't be a cog in a championship team IMO, he is good enough to be a guy to help us be a playoff team during this rebuild process the Flames are going through.
I would have to agree with this sentiment. I don't like him either as a player or as a person but I also don't really see any risks with signing him to a short-term contract(I don't exactly think other teams are lining up to get him long-term.)
At least he would make the team a little more exciting while he's here.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
A good way to put it.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Kitsy

I don't think it would be the worst way you can spend your money to take a chance on a three way deal with Semin for just under 18 mill. Consider Grabovski at 5.5. I would be hard pressed to make a decision in a one year hockey pool to pick Grabovski over Semin (I know hockey pools are rough ways of comparing but with Semin he is a point guy or bust). That being said, it all depends on what Calgary wants to do with their team going forward. I would prefer a longer re-build because of the lack of prospect depth as well as pro depth. With Semin, you are likely going for a re-tool.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I am surprised that so many don't like him. Why don't you guys like him? His attitude is much different then it was 2-3 years ago.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
A middle of the pack team, no Russians, 1st line wings pretty much occupied... Calgary is probably quite low on Semin's list. I would also imagine he's looking for that 5+ year "set for life" contract which doesn't make sense for the Flames. I've nothing against Semin, he would make this team better, but I hope and expect that Ryan Suter will be Feaster's #1 target in July.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Kitsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
A middle of the pack team, no Russians, 1st line wings pretty much occupied... Calgary is probably quite low on Semin's list. I would also imagine he's looking for that 5+ year "set for life" contract which doesn't make sense for the Flames. I've nothing against Semin, he would make this team better, but I hope and expect that Ryan Suter will be Feaster's #1 target in July.
There is almost 0 chance that Ryan Suter comes to Calgary for very similar reasons as Semin. Calgary is due for a re-build and Suter would only be one solution to many problems with the Flames.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I am surprised that so many don't like him. Why don't you guys like him? His attitude is much different then it was 2-3 years ago.
TBH, now that his defensive game has improved and he's learned not to be an arrogant, whiny ****; I don't mind him.

The porblem is that he will not fit in well in this dressing room. No Russians to be seen.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
TBH, now that his defensive game has improved and he's learned not to be an arrogant, whiny ****; I don't mind him.

The porblem is that he will not fit in well in this dressing room. No Russians to be seen.
Babchuk is pretty much Russian

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Babchuk is pretty much Russian
I'm sure that "pressbox" Anton is not going to impress Semin. Playing with a world class russian talent like Datsyuk is probably of more interest to him.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Semin also plays on a team that has lots of Russians and is not currently happy with his situation. I don't think that means all that much. I think if a team shows commitment to him and they have a system that compliments his game, that he will be open to signing with them. I actually think the direction Feaster has taken this team and the fact that Semin would be a top dawg here, would be quite appealing to him.