HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So Rangers >>>>> Devils >>>>> Flyers>Penguins

Old
05-15-2012, 09:11 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I know it's un-North American to say so, but the playoffs determine the champion, not the best team. The best team is the one that wins the regular season, but that doesn't really get you much in North America, you have to be the champion. And to be the champion, you have to be playing really well at the right time, stay relatively healthy, and get to avoid really bad matchups.

Last edited by MountainHawk: 05-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.
MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
DanZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
You had it right until the 3rd Period. The Rangers ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED the Devils. NJ had what....a whole 3 shots on goal? Girardi's goal is now "flukey"? Please.....you are reaching. Reaching and comming up empty.

Yup....the Rangers got Lucky with the Caps, just like the got lucky with Ottawa, just like they got lucky with 51 Wins (with 47, that COUNT THEM FORTY SEVEN real wins...to the Devils 36, that's 47-36 mind you) and 109 points. Yup.....looks like Luck will carry them past this round too. LOL.....laughable
absolutely dominated? Not really, man. Funny how any sort of extended offensive zone pressure is considered domination by Rangers fans lol

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:15 PM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I think match-ups had a lot to do with.

I know I didn't want the Rangers to ever face the Pens in the playoffs.

Philly was a match-up nightmare for Pitt. Devils were a nightmare match-up for Philly. And I think the Rangers have a favorable match-up in the Devils - well at least compared to Ottawa and Washington who give us fits.

Who knows what will happen in this NYR/NJD series though. Far from over.
THIS.

It is all about Matchups and styles of play. The only 2 teams I was worried about going into the Playoffs as a Rangers fan was Pitt, Was, and Ottawa. Because of their Match-Ups and style of play. NYR struggled against Pitt and Ottawa all year. They also don't do well vs teams that play a D-first system very much like themselves like St. Louis. Washington became that type of team with Dale Hunter. They were actually playing "our game" better than we were in certain stretches last series.

Now.....vs Philly, we just Matchup better. They try to push the pace, play an up-tempo style, and we shut them down relatively comfortably. This is why we were 6-0 vs the Flyers.

This series is far from over......but I like our chances.

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
absolutely dominated? Not really, man. Funny how any sort of extended offensive zone pressure is considered domination by Rangers fans lol
LOL.....whats funny is that the Devils could barely enter our zone. We were standing NJ up in the neutral zone and at the blue line. There were no uncomfortable moments nor extended pressure on Lundqvist AT ALL in the 3rd by the Devils. One shot here and there. Nothing else. We played a VERY STRONG 3rd period...especially defensively after we got "our lead".

Old
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So from reading this thread what I'm getting is that the Atlantic division is like a glorified game of rock paper scissors. Flyer beats Penguin, Devil beats Flyer, Ranger beats Devil, and Penguin beats Ranger.
Yep that is about it. It has been a game of matchups and rock,paper, scissors for good chunks of the expansion era especially when there has been divisional play. The greater emphasis on system play has just exxagerated the rocck, paper scissors effect.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:22 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I know it's un-North American to say so, but the playoffs determine the champion, not the best team. The best team is the one that wins the regular season, but that doesn't really get you much in North America, you have to be the champion. And to be the champion, you have to be playing really well at the right time, stay relatively healthy, and get avoid really bad matchups.
good points and true for the most part. Here....it only matters what you do in the Playoffs

on another note....from what you said, the Rangers have a good chance to accomplish both from Start to Finish. 109 Points in the regular Season and a few victories from the Holy Grail

Old
05-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Devonator

What a stupid post by the OP.....means nothing like that...certain teams can beat certain teams....could the Devils or Rangers beat the Pens? I doubt it...but the Flyers could....and the Devils killed the Flyers.....its all about match up....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
clmetsfan

There are now 5 pages, and I may be mistaken, but I don't think a single poster has agreed with the OP.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Devonator

Anyways its a moot point...I can't see anyone beating LA but I am hoping the Rangers make it...that would be great for our game!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
MyersMagic57*

All these teams mentioned >>>>> Bruins

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
You had it right until the 3rd Period. The Rangers ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED the Devils. NJ had what....a whole 3 shots on goal? Girardi's goal is now "flukey"? Please.....you are reaching. Reaching and comming up empty.

Yup....the Rangers got Lucky with the Caps, just like the got lucky with Ottawa, just like they got lucky with 51 Wins (with 47, that COUNT THEM FORTY SEVEN real wins...to the Devils 36, that's 47-36 mind you) and 109 points. Yup.....looks like Luck will carry them past this round too. LOL.....laughable
First, the Rangers didnt dominate the 3rd, dont look with fan goggles. The two goals were scored on Devils gaffs, but the Devils did play like they have up after that 1st goal in the 3rd. It deflated them. Didn't have much to do with Ranger dominance, but more with Devils being out of it.

Rangers did a great job shot blocking, but it really made the game very very boring. The Deils were in NYs zone most of the time but shots never made it to Lundqvist because you literally had 5 guys in the way. It's insane because I've never seen anything like it, not like this. The only thing that could be worse is if Tortella decides to play tetris & fit all the players into the net to block every inch.

The Rangers did get lucky with the Caps. 6 seconds left in game 5? That OT win. Caps hitting 5-10 posts per game.

Face it, the Rangers haven't been great during these playoffs. The season yes, the playoffs not so much.

Please don't take offense, it's just how I saw the game objectively. The Devils looked like they got into their rhythm for a while & started making NYR look like PHI.

If I were a Rangers fan, I would secretly be very worried.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
LOL.....whats funny is that the Devils could barely enter our zone. We were standing NJ up in the neutral zone and at the blue line. There were no uncomfortable moments nor extended pressure on Lundqvist AT ALL in the 3rd by the Devils. One shot here and there. Nothing else. We played a VERY STRONG 3rd period...especially defensively after we got "our lead".
It's not dominance when your spending minutes at a time in your own zone blocking shots.

Had more Devils shots made the net this game would be OT or in Devils favor easy.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:53 PM
ak90210

Transative property does not apply to sports.
Beating a team doesn't mean you're better.

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
So if I understand fully.

The Devils can beat the Flyers
and the Flyers can beat the Penguins
and the Penguins can beat the Rangers
and the Rangers can beat the Devils.

-mind explodes-

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:51 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
phantomphan

Not to throw math into this, but putting more than one ">" or "<" does not mean anything. There is no value associated with a ">". It's like saying you gave 110%. You can't. Just a pet peeve.

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
compan

^^ just lost it at work

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphan View Post
Not to throw math into this, but putting more than one ">" or "<" does not mean anything. There is no value associated with a ">". It's like saying you gave 110%. You can't. Just a pet peeve.
But I thought that all the good teams give 110%, 90% of the time, with a 75% chance of a 100% success rate?

Old
05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Quote:
Mind = Blown.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:55 AM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
All these teams mentioned >>>>> Bruins

Not only are they not in the Atlantic, but what does that make Buffalo?

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
you sir, are my hero.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
So if I understand fully.

The Devils can beat the Flyers
and the Flyers can beat the Penguins
and the Penguins can beat the Rangers
and the Rangers can beat the Devils.

-mind explodes-

don't forget everyone can beat the Islanders

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Shakezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I know it's un-North American to say so, but the playoffs determine the champion, not the best team. The best team is the one that wins the regular season, but that doesn't really get you much in North America, you have to be the champion. And to be the champion, you have to be playing really well at the right time, stay relatively healthy, and get to avoid really bad matchups.
completely agree. I personally hate the playoff system, but hey it makes for an exciting game.

Shakezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:17 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
dont look with fan goggles.

Caps hitting 5-10 posts per game.
You should do the same. Yeah they hit posts but that's quite the exaggeration. Some of the posts were hit because Henrik got a piece of it first, so it would have otherwise been a goal. Semin's crossbar comes to mind.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote