HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Skate, Finally

Old
05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Kamakozma
Rookie User

vCash: 500
New Skate, Finally

Hey folks, finally have to say goodbye to my Graf 705s. I didn't take particularly great care of them, never aired them out and it took it's toll. They are super soft now and I can't turn tight without losing my edge.

I am strongly considering the One80's, I play mid-level hockey 1-2x per week. Looking for skates that offer strong performance, are comfortable and not super expensive. I tried them on along with the One100's and found these to be much more comfortable, I think because they were less stiff.

Big decision ahead of me, 10 years in the Grafs, any advice my friends?

Kamakozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Get whatever skate fits best. try on all the skates in your price range that you can. The One80's are great skates but if they don't fit your feet you're in trouble.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:52 AM
qmechanic

It'd be helpful to know your height and weight. You want a boot with the appropriate amount of stiffness. Do the Bauer Supreme skates fit you well?

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Stickmata

If Graf 705s fit your foot well, I have a hard time believing the Bauers will. Very different skates.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Kamakozma
Rookie User

Thanks for the feedback gents. I am 6'0 and about 185 pounds.

The grafs fit me well now because they are so old and soft, I can't remeber the fit when I got them but I believe they were ok, though I recall it hurting and I would have to loosen or take them off early on.

I have Vapors for roller (Vapor 8's) and they KILL my feet. So I am shying away from the Vapor line, though I am attracted to the Supreme series for some reason.

Too many choicies, I wish there was a way to test drive these things!

Old
05-16-2012, 11:31 AM
hockeymass

It's really hard to go into a skate purchase with an exact model in mind, because there are no guarantees that they will actually fit and be the most comfortable option. For my most recent purchase I went in hoping to get a pair of Vapors. I tried on a couple pairs around my size and could barely get my feet into them because the instep is so low. When I finally did get my feet in, it was like someone was crushing them in a vise. I then tried on a pair of CCMs that fit like slippers, even better after baking, and I was sold.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
neksys

I ended up in a pair of Easton EQ5's after a long time in CCM Tacks. Mind you, I went from skating a few times per year to 3x per week, but still, very different skates.

For what its worth, I tried the Graf 705s. I found the fit somewhat similar to my EQ5s. The EQ5s were a little tighter in the heel, a little roomier in the toe, and a little slimmer between the heel/instep.

Still, there is no substitute for just getting in and trying these things on. Spend a couple hours doing. Some you will hate right off the bat, but if you can narrow it down to 3 skates, you can get a pretty good sense of how they will hold up by walking around for 20 minutes in them. Most stores have no issue with you taking forever to choose, its a pretty big investment when there is no returns.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:17 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakozma View Post
So I am shying away from the Vapor line, though I am attracted to the Supreme series for some reason.
Throw brands and models out the window now. Give every brand and model in the higher end of your budget a try on and see how they ALL fit, then pick the best fit.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:19 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Throw brands and models out the window now. Give every brand and model in the higher end of your budget a try on and see how they ALL fit, then pick the best fit.
^ This.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Kamakozma
Rookie User

Thanks for the advice guys. I wound up going with the Easton EQ50s. I tried on each brand and these felt the best all around, and for some reason the local store near me in NYC had them on sale for $370, which is about $150 less than most other places.

Not sure if anyone has had any experiences to share with the EQ50s but I am excited to take them on the ice.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
AIREAYE

Very underrated skates, excellent value at that price.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Good to hear you found something that fits. I ordered a pair of EQ40's to try on awhile back and man did they look nice. I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Kamakozma
Rookie User

So I wore them for the first time last night, good news is I have so much more support versus my old Grafs that became like slippers. The problem is that the insides of my feet got torn up pretty bad, with blisters and pain. I couldn't skate by the end of the session.

Should I be afraid that these are not the right skates? From my memory this always happened to me with new skates. I am thinking I might bake them again and wear socks next time until they are more broken in.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:19 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Does your foot feel like it's slipping around?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
OpenIceHit42

I picked up the One 60's about a month ago and could not be happier.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
neksys

Quote:
So I wore them for the first time last night, good news is I have so much more support versus my old Grafs that became like slippers. The problem is that the insides of my feet got torn up pretty bad, with blisters and pain. I couldn't skate by the end of the session.

Should I be afraid that these are not the right skates? From my memory this always happened to me with new skates. I am thinking I might bake them again and wear socks next time until they are more broken in.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.
I know its a bit of personal preference, but I would always wear socks. In the old days you could get away with not wearing socks because the skates were pretty flexible - they would give a bit at points of contact. New skates however are pretty rigid. Your feet WILL move a bit, and since the boot itself ISN'T moving, you can get blisters pretty easily.

Where are the blisters? Toes? Heel?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Kamakozma
Rookie User

Thanks for the comments. The part of the foot that has the blisters is around the inner arch mostly.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
neksys

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. The part of the foot that has the blisters is around the inner arch mostly.
This is strange. I mean, try socks because they're cheap and if it works, great, but inner arch blistering is strange. I wonder if the edge of the insole insert is rubbing there?

I would also recommend a pair of Superfeet (and I'm sure plenty of people on here will second that recommendation). They're about $40 and make a world of difference.