HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Jonas Holos make a return?

Old
05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
He had a good tournament. Hopefully good enough that we can trade him for a pick to someone that was impressed enough to take a chance on him.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
foppagirl21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
What? How was Galiardi being in the doghouse justified?
Let me rephrase the point I was trying to get across. In retrospect (should have added that phrase), the doghouse began to make sense. How he was treated still irks me, but he never regained form from his unreal 2010 playoff performance.

Once again, I do not approve of his treatment, but I can see where coach was coming from.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I know, right? Just look at what we did to Arnason.

Edit: Damn you, foppagirl! OK, replace Arnason with Tjrnqvist.
Hahahaha! That was some awesome timing on our part!

Old
05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
There has to be something about Galiardi that coaches hate, he had the same thing happen to him in San Jose.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
As a mascot maybe. We have an overload of D-man as it is. Guys like Elliott and Barrie are most likely going to be on opening night roster.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
There has to be something about Galiardi that coaches hate, he had the same thing happen to him in San Jose.
That is more what I am trying to get across (minus the "hate" part). I know absolutely nothing behind the scenes concerning Galiardi, but there must be reason why he was benched in Colorado and then again in SJ (he was hurt just shortly after arriving in SJ, I understand that). Same goes for Stewart. He was benched/demoted in Colorado, traded to STL, then benched later in the season when his production remained stagnant and did not improve. The impression I am under currently is that Galiardi is not living up to what coaches believe he can be, as is Stewart.

How they were treated at the time seemed very... suspicious, but seeing how they are producing and being treated on their respective new teams leads me to believe the harsh treatment was not just coach being power-crazy and spiteful. Tough love? Who knows. Sorry for derailing the topic, mods!

Back to Holos- what exactly is his contract situation with the Avalanche? One year left? More? An explanation would be great and much appreciated.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Foppa Frossa

Just don't see any room for him in our logjam of mediocre and/or unproven defensemen

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Rhaego

I could see him coming back for tryout/training camp like last year. He could have improved by leaps and bounds in a year, never know.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:18 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

vCash: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrSakic92 View Post
Do you guys remember Jonas Holos? If not, let me give you a heads up:

-Drafted in round 6, 170th overall in 2008.
-Played 39 games for us in the 10-11 season before he left for the Swedish Elite League last season due to lack of play time / trust.

His stats during this years WC for Norway:
-3G, 3A in 6 games so far with a +7 rating.
-Averaging a sky-high 27:20 minutes a game.

During the 10-11 season he was one of our best defensive players, but still, Sacco wouldn't give him the ice time that he deserved, and many saw him as the most unfairly treated player in the league.
There is absolutely no doubt that he is good enough for our team, as it seems to me that he has gotten much better offensively as well.

What do you guys think? Will we see Holos in our lineup next season?
1. Correction: He was one of our best defenseman his first 5-10 games here, after that he sucked just as much as the rest of the team.
2. Correction: Many fans of our team saw him as the most unfairly treated player on our team.
3. Correction: There most definitely is doubt that he is good enough for our team. He's had very good international tournaments earlier as well. Hell, that's why he was drafted, but his play in the WC on a big surface does not equal his play on the smaller surface in the NHL. Even though everybody knows he's a physical beast he doesn't use his strength, and that's a huge problem for someone of his height in the NHL as long as he isn't an offensive wizard, something Holos is not even close to being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrSakic92 View Post
Yes, he has one more left in his contract.

He's more than good enough, so why not. Let him play in the second D-pair.
So not only is he good enough, but he should also be a lock on the second pairing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Holos will never return here, the way he was treated by this club. But he will most certainly return to the NHL.
What exactly are you thinking about here? The article in VG right after he left? If so, it was all a load of bull... Holos left because 1) He absolutely stunk it up in Training Camp and 2) Didn't outplay the young guns in LEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Holos was just as impressive before coming to the Avs. Don't mistake his international play for NHL ability. That said, he may have the skills to translate his game, but I doubt it'll be with the Avs. And for the record, I hope he takes hold somewhere.
THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Let's put it this way. If you guys start taking care of good players you might end up in the playoffs one year..
Oh, how cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
He had a good tournament. Hopefully good enough that we can trade him for a pick to someone that was impressed enough to take a chance on him.
Exactly. If one or more of the other 29 teams in the league thinks Holos is as good as the two Norwegians above believe he is, he will find another home in the NHL. I can't see Sherman saying no to a bottom round pick for a Euro that didn't make it. And if an NHL team thinks he can be a second pairing D or the difference between playoffs or not, that team will certainly be willing to pay such a low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I could see him coming back for tryout/training camp like last year. He could have improved by leaps and bounds in a year, never know.
From everything I've heard, he was crap in the SEL this year as well, but the thing is, he was the first player arriving at the national team training camp before the WC. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but more than a month, and he obviously benefitted a lot from it.

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I'm gonna ignore the bias shown by some of the Norweigan fans who have constantly been on the Rangers boards asking these same annoying questions about Zuccarello.

But I will say that I'd like to see him get a chance depending on the situation. If they're giving him a chance over SOB or some washed up FA signing then sure. But if that roster spot is taking away from a Siemens or Elliott or Barrie then no.

I personally wouldn't come back to Colorado if I were him. I think he was rushed back from a concussion and I think it's a burned bridge. Doubt his situation was great with Sacco, he should try to move on with another club. I don't think he'll be an elite dman and not even sure if he'll be a top four so it's not a big loss to me but I wouldn't mind having him come back all the same.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I'm gonna ignore the bias shown by some of the Norweigan fans who have constantly been on the Rangers boards asking these same annoying questions about Zuccarello.
I give them a little slack, since Hols basically is the Norwegian hockey team.

I thought he played pretty well at the beginning of that year, but then he was thrown back out into the NHL within 48 hours of suffering a concussion, where he was sure to fail. I'm disappointed that things didn't work out, but he's got no place in the organization and I doubt he becomes more than a 3rd pairing defenseman if he chooses to come back over to the NHL (which I doubt he'll do).

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Drij

We don't need him, he wasn't good anyway.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Mant*

Holos was crap. We have better, younger players in the system. There's no place for him here.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

i see holos being over and underrated in this thread, however getting glances from barrie/elliot, i'd rather have barrie play on next year's team then holos, and i'd rather not roll with two young players in the d lineup right away.

it's unfortunate, he is a talented player, but his aggressiveness needs to be taken up a notch if he ever wants to play in the nhl.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
By his equally poor, if not worse, play in SJ...where he found himself a healthy scratch off and on playing for a team that lacked forward depth in a bad way.

Galiardi has the potential to be a top 2 line winger in the NHL, but to do so he would have to put the same work ethic and energy into his game as O'Reilly. Like O'Reilly, he simply does not have the raw talent to get by on anything other than full tilt energy shifts and playing hard hockey. Outside of a few moments here and there, Gali has not shown the motivation required to be either a top 2 line or a bottom 2 line player.

As for Holos, the guy COULD find a home in the NHL if it was with the right team and he was playing behind the right players. Much like Liles, he can be a very valuable situational player. However, in the modern NHL, there is just not room on a roster for a guy like that as anything other than the 7-8 or AHL depth D man to get called up/dressed in certain situations. You need all 6 guys to be able to play the physical game and, well, play big even if they are not big.

If I were Holos, I would do my best to get invited and then attend the Avs camp with the goal of sparking the interest of another team. Worst case, if you show up and are a good teammate, you may earn a trip through waivers, and I would bet another team with fiscal or cap concerns might take a shot.

Holos was never mistreated by the Avs, though you could argue he was misused or not used properly. People need to understand those two words mean very different things. He was let out of his committment to return home, even after saying previously he was committed to working his way through the NHL/AHL struggles to make it happen, which was clearly not true. Again, I do not blame the guy and I am happy he did what made him happy....but tons of players have to earn their chops in the AHL and suck it up when they play the yo-yo game between the AHL/NHL. He is a pro hockey player, not a 10 year old playing rec hockey. It is not like the Avs spat on him and made him walk home from road trips to Florida.

Hunwick is a perfect example of how Holos SHOULD have responded. Hunwick was also equally misued after being aquired and instead of giving up on it, he stuck it out with the Avs and in all probability earned an NHL contract from another team for his efforts at the end of the season when he was given a chance. (I doubt he sticks with the Avs due to the system depth on D ) If Holos had stuck around and played hard in the AHL, or rode the bench with the Avs, he WOULD have gotten another chance during the season.

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 05-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Chileiceman

I've been watching a fair bit of Norway in these WC's and past international tournaments, and am always impressed by Holos. He is a good skater and has a very good shot. But his lack of physicality is what prevents him from making the step to the NHL. But he has good size. I do believe at this point in time he is a better or equal player than Elliot and Barrie, two players who also suffer from a lack of physicality in their play, but are smaller. However, the Avs have clearly shown a commitment to those two (and perhaps rightfully so, as they are younger and have a higher upside), and with Siemens possibly coming up, I don't see a place for him on this team even though I'd like to see him get another chance.

I do see him playing in the NHL at some point again, just not for the Avs.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Yipperfan
Giggitty the goalie!

No. He may make a return somewhere but it won't be in the NHL.

Replace "rollerblading" with "Holos" in here:

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

He isn't made for the NHL.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Dalfan

I met Holos at the airport last season when he was called up from the monsters. Ever since then I've been following him and his international play and absolutely loved him.

However, The avalanhce have no rights to Holos and he was released early this season by request in order to play in Europe. I don't know why every single avalanche fan ITT missed that.

Quote:
He tried to make the Avs again this year, but was cut. He did not play for the Monsters after being sent down. The Avs would have to release Holos from his contract with the organization to let him go back to Europe. I believe that will be granted.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...o-europe/8566/

Which is what happened as he played overseas all season. So no, we don't have any rights to him and, as much as I would love it, I highly doubt to see him back here.

Wikipedia:

Quote:
After failing to take a spot in the Avalanche's team for the 2011–12 season, Hols asked for his release from the Avalanche organization on October 14, 2011, to move back to Europe. Two days later he was reassigned by the Colorado Avalanche to a two-year deal (expiring after the 2012–13 season) with the newcomers Vxj Lakers Hockey of the Swedish top-tier league Elitserien (SEL).
http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/10600/

I expect to see him in the NHL somewhere after this WC performance. Even the Lakers coach Per Backman stated that he is incredible and should be playing in the NHL.

Quote:
Holos is one of the World Cup's best slopes. I do not understand that he is not playing in the NHL - he's too good for the top division. Holos and (Ole-Kristian) Tollefsen play 30 minutes each to Norway, we have not the quality of our team. We also have no back with this shot as Holos said Bckman to hockeysverige.se.
GO NORWAY SCREW VARLY

Last edited by Dalfan: 05-16-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Dalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:18 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalfan View Post
I met Holos at the airport last season when he was called up from the monsters. Ever since then I've been following him and his international play and absolutely loved him.

However, The avalanhce have no rights to Holos and he was released early this season by request in order to play in Europe. I don't know why every single avalanche fan ITT missed that.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...o-europe/8566/

Which is what happened as he played overseas all season. So no, we don't have any rights to him and, as much as I would love it, I highly doubt to see him back here.

Wikipedia:

http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/10600/

I expect to see him in the NHL somewhere after this WC performance. Even the Lakers coach Per Backman stated that he is incredible and should be playing in the NHL.

GO NORWAY SCREW VARLY
Well Backman (he is swedish) is the team Denmark coach and its not often a danish coach says something positive about norwegians (well when it comes to sport) To them we are just a bunch of mountain apes

Edit: Well i dnt think Hols should play in the NHL. He got a great shot and can make some smart plays. However he needs that extra space he gets on european ice I believe that Hols should go for a top KHL club. Lots of money, high level hockey etc

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Cynthesis

Did someone just use the term "physical beast" in the same sentence as Holos? Mind = blown. Holos is far too small and weak, and he can't make up for those deficiencies with offensive skill. He's simply not good enough for the NHL, never was. This was all apparent during the 2010 training camp. I was very surprised when he was kept on the roster past the 10 game mark.

Cynthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthesis View Post
Did someone just use the term "physical beast" in the same sentence as Holos? Mind = blown. Holos is far too small and weak, and he can't make up for those deficiencies with offensive skill. He's simply not good enough for the NHL, never was. This was all apparent during the 2010 training camp. I was very surprised when he was kept on the roster past the 10 game mark.
Well it depends what u mean by "physical beast". Hols can play about 30 min vs Sweden, Russia and Czech rep, so ofc he is strong as hell, but he is not a tough player, that hits hard. So he is a "physical beast" when it comes to ice time and weight lifting, but he dosent take advantedge of his strength. Thats a difference.

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
foppagirl21

Dalfan, thanks for the information about Holos' situation with the Avalanche. Sounds like he is no longer a part of the organization.

And on that note, go Varly! Need to root for the Avs' players still on the roster!

Old
05-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Dalfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Dalfan, thanks for the information about Holos' situation with the Avalanche. Sounds like he is no longer a part of the organization.

And on that note, go Varly! Need to root for the Avs' players still on the roster!
And I was wrong apparently.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._holos_norway/

Quote:
During the 2010-11 season, defenseman Jonas Holos suited up for 39 games with the Colorado Avalanche and looked like one of their many up-and-coming young defenseman. Still under contract with the Avalanche, Jonas found himself spending this past season with the Vaxjo Lakers of the SEL, with whom he was able to avoid the relegation round in Vaxjos first year in the league after gaining promotion the season before.
Quote:
HF: Will you be remaining in Vaxjo?

Jonas Holos: Yep, Ive got one more year on my contract there.

HF: Will the NHL and North America ever be a topic for you again?

Jonas Holos: Of course it will be a topic. Colorado still has my rights there and its up to them. If they want me back, they can certainly tell me and we will see.
I don't understand how Colorado retained his rights but I'm not complaining. I would really love to see him back here and atleast given the chance.

Dalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:33 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Didn't he have a concussion in LEM before being called up for the Avs - due to injuries - which were still not healed and then got another concussion again playing in the NHL?

I thought I remember something along those lines. Either way, I don't think he was given a fair chance however I don't think he had more than a top 4 potential. Given this team's depth, be it unproven or just a ideal bottom pairing dman, I don't see where he'd fit.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote