HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I cant stand Jeff Carter

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
This organization treated him terribly, and he left with class. It's Columbus's fault for trying to trick a player into playing there unwillingly for a decade.
how did they treat him terribly, they gave him a huge contract?

Old
05-16-2012, 11:25 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
he only scores in blowouts

yeah i said it
So far I'm very happy with the results of the traded and would want the Flyers to do it all over again if I went back in time and had the ability to stop it. That said I like Carter seems like a nice guy. I understand some of the criticism of him, but not all of it. For example he didn't produce as much in the playoffs but to be fair he was injured during or before most of our playoff runs which is going to hurt his production. He doesn't only score in blow outs he has 40 game winning goals most of them probably weren't scored in a blow out or were scored at a time when the game wasn't a blow out. Plus last night's game was only a blow out because he scored 3 of 4 goals.

I don't know why anyone would be mad about Carter being so upset about being traded. I thought it was awesome he was so upset that the Flyers traded him. I love Richie (and always liked him much more than Carter), but I disliked the way he left a lot more. Some of the comments he made on the way out I felt were off putting and kind of d-baggy. Anyway, not sure why anyone would be surprised about the lack of production in Columbus. If he was sulking or ecstatic that team was a disaster and the idea of playing him with Nash was terrible they play a similar game, and on that doesn't compliment each other. Plus again he was injured a decent amount of time he was there.

Either way I can see being happy about the trade. I can see him not being someones favorite player, but not sure I see justification for really hating the guy.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
how did they treat him terribly, they gave him a huge contract?
At a reduced pay level because he wanted to be a Flyer forever. Then they lied to him repeatedly, then shipped him to hell for potentially the rest of his career.

Sounds friggen' peachy to me.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Yeah stupid columbus for thinking carter would be professional instead of being a giant sulking baby the entire time there.
well put.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:20 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Yeah stupid columbus for thinking carter would be professional instead of being a giant sulking baby the entire time there.
39 games
15 goals
10 assists

With and while recovering from an injury. On pace for 30+ goals in 82 games.

Yeah, he blows.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Haute Couturier

Carter was always one of my favorite Flyers. I'm a big fan of centers that can score goals, play great defense, and win faceoffs.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Carter was always one of my favorite Flyers. I'm a big fan of centers that can score goals, play great defense, and win faceoffs.
Now you're being ridiculous. Forget what the stats show. Forget what your eyes tell you. Just believe that Carter is a waste of space, he sucks, he provides nothing to a team, and he's going to ride on everyone else's coattails to the Cup.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
No dude, he drank once. People who do that are the anti-christ. Also, his goals count less than other people's goals, solely because he scored them.

05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
No dude, he drank once. People who do that are the anti-christ. Also, his goals count less than other people's goals, solely because he scored them.
Beef, who did this to you?

Old
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
So far I'm very happy with the results of the traded and would want the Flyers to do it all over again if I went back in time and had the ability to stop it. That said I like Carter seems like a nice guy. I understand some of the criticism of him, but not all of it. For example he didn't produce as much in the playoffs but to be fair he was injured during or before most of our playoff runs which is going to hurt his production. He doesn't only score in blow outs he has 40 game winning goals most of them probably weren't scored in a blow out or were scored at a time when the game wasn't a blow out. Plus last night's game was only a blow out because he scored 3 of 4 goals.

I don't know why anyone would be mad about Carter being so upset about being traded. I thought it was awesome he was so upset that the Flyers traded him. I love Richie (and always liked him much more than Carter), but I disliked the way he left a lot more. Some of the comments he made on the way out I felt were off putting and kind of d-baggy. Anyway, not sure why anyone would be surprised about the lack of production in Columbus. If he was sulking or ecstatic that team was a disaster and the idea of playing him with Nash was terrible they play a similar game, and on that doesn't compliment each other. Plus again he was injured a decent amount of time he was there.

Either way I can see being happy about the trade. I can see him not being someones favorite player, but not sure I see justification for really hating the guy.
This is probably the most level-headed post in this thread. I get why people don't like him, but a guy just doesn't score 40+ goals in a season by accident. I am not really looking forward to him hoisting the cup, but if it means that Richie, Gagne, Williams and Co. get to also, then I'm all for it.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
beef, who did this to you?
MSE

He is mean.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
I really wish both he and Richards would have bought into Lavy's coaching scheme. You think going to the finals with AHL level goaltending would have turned them into believers, but it's quite obvious now that they didn't care for Laviolette too much.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
MSE

He is mean.
Hahahaha, what did you do to make MSE do this??

Old
05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
awesome.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Now you're being ridiculous. Forget what the stats show. Forget what your eyes tell you. Just believe that Carter is a waste of space, he sucks, he provides nothing to a team, and he's going to ride on everyone else's coattails to the Cup.
Oh yeah, you're right. My bad. I forgot this is Philadelphia and I'm supposed to worship meatheads like Rinaldo that hit a lot because they can't do anything else. Skill is useless if you don't running around hitting things. That shows how much a player cares. Who needs goals and defense anyway. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.

Quote:

Old
05-16-2012, 01:28 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
90% of the time I think his stats are hollow stats. I mean he gets a hat trick last night which is great and the media views him as a top sniper in the league. Well it was only the second game he scored in the entire playoffs and techinally they had no bearing on the outcome since Quick was lights out (as usual). You would never see him get a hat trick in a 4-3 playoff win.
I can't even begin to say how dumb I think this statement is. Scoring in a one goal game is now meaningless? In the playoffs? He scores 3/4s of his team's goals and it doesn't matter because they didnt' win by one?

Game winning goals are the only important ones now? Then consider this- 19% of Carter's career goals are game winners. Everybody's hero Jaromir Jagr has seen only 17% of his career goals be game winners. Just 10% of Wayne Gretzky's goals were game winners. I guess Jagr and Gretzky were just bums who only scored in blowouts.

And this year in Columbus Carter was on a 30 goal pace. Not that bad for a terrible year in which he had injury issues.

I'd love to see Carter win the Cup, because he was a good player here and to shove it down the throats of all the people who irrationally can't stand the guy.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:29 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

L A hasnt won the cup yet they still have to finish the yokes and they will have their hands full with the rangers if they make it to the finals

Old
05-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I can't even begin to say how dumb I think this statement is. Scoring in a one goal game is now meaningless? In the playoffs? He scores 3/4s of his team's goals and it doesn't matter because they didnt' win by one?

Game winning goals are the only important ones now? Then consider this- 19% of Carter's career goals are game winners. Everybody's hero Jaromir Jagr has seen only 17% of his career goals be game winners. Just 10% of Wayne Gretzky's goals were game winners. I guess Jagr and Gretzky were just bums who only scored in blowouts.

And this year in Columbus Carter was on a 30 goal pace. Not that bad for a terrible year in which he had injury issues.

I'd love to see Carter win the Cup, because he was a good player here and to shove it down the throats of all the people who irrationally can't stand the guy.
All i am saying is that stats are misleading and can be spun in way to suit an argument. You claim Jagr and gretzky are bums because their game winning goal percentage is lower then Carter's. Well I am sure if carter were to score 600+ goals in his career his average would come down.

He had a great game last night, any hat trick is a great game. I just find it very unlikely that he would have gotten that hat trick if the score was 4-3. That is my opinion based on what I see when he plays. Not just what his stats say on paper.

Also, why would you want him (or anyone) to win the cup to shove it down flyers fan's throats who cant stand him? would that be proof that the flyers made a mistake in trading him? Do you think he would have lead the flyers to the cup? I seriously doubt either of those quesitons.

If he was as good as you think he was there is no way holmgren would have risked trading him. So its obvious that he needed to be traded for some reason regardless of what his stats say.

He fails the eye test in my opinion.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I just find it very unlikely that he would have gotten that hat trick if the score was 4-3. That is my opinion based on what I see when he plays. Not just what his stats say on paper.

He fails the eye test in my opinion.
Let me get this straight. If the Yotes had scored more goals in that game, Carter wouldn't have scored as many? How exactly does that work?

The fact that Carter had the insurance goal and added a couple more, thereby taking any wind out of Phoenix's sails is something he shouldn't have done?

There is failure floating around, but I don't think it lies with Carter.

Look, we understand you hate the guy. That's up to you. You can't provide logical reasons for your hatred, you just do. Why don't we leave it at that? Trying to justify it with nothing more than "because I say so" is a pretty big waste of time.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Jeff Carter was NOT good defensively when he was here. His work ethic was and should have been called into question.

And then there's the ill-timed chokes...

Big talent though. Maybe he will be the Flyers' Cris Carter.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:04 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Jeff Carter was NOT good defensively when he was here. His work ethic was and should have been called into question.

And then there's the ill-timed chokes...

Big talent though. Maybe he will be the Flyers' Cris Carter.
Carter wasn't good defensively as a rookie - no question. He had to learn to play that side of the puck, as he'd never been asked to do that before. However, he was very, very good defensively in the last few years.

It appears that Carter suffers from Mike Schmidt syndrome. Making something look easy does not mean it's effortless.

Choking is an easy out. You've had **** pointed out to you numerous times, and I don't have the patience to do it all over again. It's all Carter's fault. If only he could play in net...

Old
05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Look, we understand you hate the guy. That's up to you. You can't provide logical reasons for your hatred, you just do. Why don't we leave it at that? Trying to justify it with nothing more than "because I say so" is a pretty big waste of time.
Your presence is requested in the Bryz threads.

Quote:
Carter wasn't good defensively as a rookie - no question. He had to learn to play that side of the puck, as he'd never been asked to do that before. However, he was very, very good defensively in the last few years.
That's not what I saw.

Quote:
It appears that Carter suffers from Mike Schmidt syndrome. Making something look easy does not mean it's effortless.
Good point, that's true.

Ditto Rick MacLeish.

Quote:
Choking is an easy out.
Agreed, and I wish it wasn't.

Quote:
You've had **** pointed out to you numerous times, and I don't have the patience to do it all over again.
That makes two of us.

It may not be fair to Carter, but it will always be there for Flyers fans.

If Carter had scored here, the Flyers would have won the Stanley Cup. The puck is on his stick at this moment in time.

There just is no getting around it.

Again, it might not be fair, but he'll long be remembered for that one fail. It is every bit as egregious as Leighton's final surrender.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

Choking is an easy out. You've had **** pointed out to you numerous times, and I don't have the patience to do it all over again. It's all Carter's fault. If only he could play in net...
I agree that Carter was a good defensive player, but it wasn't really because he learned how to do it. His defensive awareness was pretty average, but he did have a long reach that allowed his stick work to be excellent. When he was truly on his game, his backcheck would routinely result in him stripping pucks from behind players.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:23 PM
damacles1156

Kings fan here:

I love Carters game, He kills penalty's, takes D zone draws, plays in all situations for the Kings.

Carter has a nice quick shot, He misses a lot but so did all the great goal scorers.

I am also surprised how fast Carter is for a big guy. Also Sutter has gotten Carter to throw his body around: Kopitar 16 hits,Doughty 16 hits, Carter 15 hits .

Loving Carter's game. He seems like a good locker room guy.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
healthyscratch

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Closed Thread