HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Union Season

Old
05-16-2012, 02:40 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I'll be honest and say I've pretty much lost interest in this team. They are extremely boring to watch (even by soccer standards ) and the team has zero personality. Most likely my last season with season tickets and I'd be open to selling most of the remaining games at this point.
Their last game, even though they lost, was probablly their best game all season. They actually played *gasp* offense.

Also Novak continues to show he has no idea what he is doing. Trades Danny Califf. Traded for another bag of money.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Their last game, even though they lost, was probablly their best game all season. They actually played *gasp* offense.

Also Novak continues to show he has no idea what he is doing. Trades Danny Califf. Traded for another bag of money.
How has he not been fired yet? Or is this a situation where the owner is only in it to make a profit?

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
How has he not been fired yet? Or is this a situation where the owner is only in it to make a profit?
No one really knows. People just assume Novak has the authority from above to do anything he wants. He is one of the only coaches that throws fowwards/midfielders on defense, defenders at midfield, etc etc.

The Union are showing that the only thing they care about is the money. They play boring ass soccer (except for the last game which they lost again), can care less about the fans (like the exhibition last week. All the seats were normal prices. Nobody showed up, literally nobody) and he continues to get outcoached by other teams. But people have said that Novak's job is super safe no matter what he does.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
No one really knows. People just assume Novak has the authority from above to do anything he wants. He is one of the only coaches that throws fowwards/midfielders on defense, defenders at midfield, etc etc.

The Union are showing that the only thing they care about is the money. They play boring ass soccer (except for the last game which they lost again), can care less about the fans (like the exhibition last week. All the seats were normal prices. Nobody showed up, literally nobody) and he continues to get outcoached by other teams. But people have said that Novak's job is super safe no matter what he does.
Oh, really? They could care less?

(EDIT: Isn't this your second violation in about a week?)

I'm not a huge soccer fan or anything, but I had fun watching the last two seasons during the summer and the fall. This team though....it's just so BORING. I don't know how important this is, but it seems like they lose possession of the ball WAY too easily and too often. It's like they pass hoping that the ball reaches its target instead of passing the ball knowing it'll go where they want it to go.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:36 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
If they care about money, then they care about fans. I'm not sure the Union owners are even out of the red yet, this is only their third season. They want fans to come spend money, and fans won't do that if Nowak makes everyone hate him. So, what you're saying doesn't make sense.

They haven't fired him because he's been here two and a half seasons and made the playoffs last year. You don't pull the trigger that fast on a team that was assembled out of nothing.

That said, I can't stand the guy and I hope they don't wait too long.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Andre Poodle Lussier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
If they care about money, then they care about fans. I'm not sure the Union owners are even out of the red yet, this is only their third season. They want fans to come spend money, and fans won't do that if Nowak makes everyone hate him. So, what you're saying doesn't make sense.

They haven't fired him because he's been here two and a half seasons and made the playoffs last year. You don't pull the trigger that fast on a team that was assembled out of nothing.

Seattle has been in MLS one season more than the Union and is arguably the most successful club financially and has a historical winning record in each season. Zigi for his eccentricness is a pretty good coach and the team has embraced the city and the city has embraced the team. They don't move players in cash grabs...the Sounders actually go out and improve their product and try to make themselves a better team each offseason. Seattle is clearly the model expansion in MLS and the team that Philadelphia should have modeled itself after.

It was going down that direction with a much improved second season...despite an uneven and rough finish there were positive signs. They moved the wrong guys though...Mwanga and Adu should have been moved while you keep Califf and LeToux...and build around LeToux and keep Califf on in a gradually reduced role over the duration of his contract. Califf may not be a very good player at this point in his career but he has experience and things he can teach younger defensemen. Mwanga plays effortless ball half the time he's out there and Adu is maddeningly inconsistent.

Nowak should absolutely be fired...not for the moves but for his arrogance and how he throws players under the bus after deals are made. It's unprofessional and bush league IMO. Trading fan favorites is one thing if you're getting value in return. Making cash grab moves using the fan favorites is another...and arguably a bush league move.

I was very close to ponying up on Union tix this year until the LeToux deal was made and how it was made. That was the point where I said I wouldn't support the team with Nowak around. He and Nick S. deserve all the crap they're getting for how they've handled and bungled the PR on these moves.

Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:57 AM
4thline4life

I'm a soccer fan but just can't watch or support this team, it is pretty clear they don't support the fans...the letoux deal pretty much made that clear. Ill stick to epl/chelsea...anyone else pumped for the champions league final...should be a great game, I think munich
wins though.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:57 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post

If they care about the fans, they dont make prices for an exhibition game the same as a regular season. Other teams around the league lower their prices for it. 1/4 of the stadium was full and rumors out there was that Raul was deciding and Union was off their list when he noticed that no one was there (looking like no one supported the team).

Novak gets completely outcoached, and has shown to play favorites every game. Danny Mwanga hasnt done anything, and he continues to play him. On the other hand, we have a guy like Martinez who scores on the 2nd team, and when in the game on the first team provides some much needed energy, but never plays more than 20 mins a game (if he is lucky to get in).

Adu I hated in the beginning, but last game he was easily the best Union player. His 1 on 1 skills are tops on the team, and worked. But yet again, he takes dumb as tackles and dives, getting him red carded out (I think it was a bs call, but Adu dives every second he gets).

All I know is, every single announcer home and away point out the same thing. They question why they blew up the team (I think they said 10 new players, half new starters), that made playoffs last season. And now you look at the team, bottom in the standings.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...n_manager.html

Nowak gone! Rejoice!

Old
06-13-2012, 01:33 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
At least they're making an effort to fix things.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote