HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCF Gm#2 5/15/’12 : KINGS Defeat COYOTES 4-0, Lead Series 2-0

Old
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

vCash: 500
Listening to Jim Rome yesterday and there was a guy on from LA. It made me so sad he went on and on about the Lakers and Clippers and how bad they look but then followed it by saying the Kings are doing good but nobody cares about a Stanley Cup in LA.

I understand personal preference but it just depresses me when people go out of their way to represent LA like this on a national radio show. It's just frustrating to know the level of committment, pain, blood, and tears that go into this tournament and he just spits on it. I literally wanted to jump through the radio and strangle this guy.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

In the possible series clinching game if we are up by a couple goals I want somebody to slash Smith's leg like he did Brown. Just take the 2mins

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:25 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
King had the game winner.

Don't you know that Carter only scores in blow outs?

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Can't wait

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

LOL at the LA Media. ESPNLA Top Story last night was ofcourse the Clippers losing. You would think maybe the Kings winning their 7th straight road game of the playoffs, on the brink of taking out the Top 3 seeds and going to the Finals as a #8 seed could maybe overtake even a Lakers loss, but no, it can't even get top billing over the JV basketball team losing a 2nd round game like everyone thought. Basketball truly is King (no pun) in LA

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:39 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
LOL at the LA Media. ESPNLA Top Story last night was ofcourse the Clippers losing. You would think maybe the Kings winning their 7th straight road game of the playoffs, on the brink of taking out the Top 3 seeds and going to the Finals as a #8 seed could maybe overtake even a Lakers loss, but no, it can't even get top billing over the JV basketball team losing a 2nd round game like everyone thought. Basketball truly is King (no pun) in LA
The Kings are going to have to win about Ten more Stanley Cups in short fashion; for the LA media to care at all.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:40 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I don't understand why Hockey is such a neglected sport in America. I grew up in CT and nobody talked about the Whalers and the NY teams were underrepresented. Then I lived in Chicago for a while and rarely saw the common man with Hawks stuff. Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Sox were everywhere though. I left right before they won the Cup, and according to my friends the city changed after that. So I imagine something similar will happen here if they Kings are able to win the Cup.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I think part of the media problem in Los Angeles is that the local sports reporters just don't know hockey. You see this in obvious gaffes like the Sacramento Kings logo the other night, but also when talk radio guys try to talk about it. It's clear pretty quickly that they don't really follow the game or understand its ins and outs. And lookign at the ESPN example, why was the Clippers' loss the top story? Some producer decided to run that first. If that producer knows more about hockey and has hockey-literate reporters, then they can say something about it. The same with the KNX 1070 example someone posted earlier, where they talk baseball and basketball and then refer the listeners to their website for hockey. I'll bet money that their website just has a bunch of links to associated press articles or nhl.com. The reason they're not talking about it is that they don't know how.

Hammond, Quisp, Helene Elliot, places like HF or LGK ARE the hockey media in Los Angeles. These are the only people capable of speaking or writing intelligently about hockey in southern California, and until that changes, and we get more proper, KNOWLEDGEABLE hockey people in sports reporting, hockey will continue to get low billing.

The only way I can see this happening is if the Kings win consistently for a few years. They have to FORCE the local media to pay attention to them, not just for one playoff run, but every year.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
I don't understand why Hockey is such a neglected sport in America. I grew up in CT and nobody talked about the Whalers and the NY teams were underrepresented. Then I lived in Chicago for a while and rarely saw the common man with Hawks stuff. Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Sox were everywhere though. I left right before they won the Cup, and according to my friends the city changed after that. So I imagine something similar will happen here if they Kings are able to win the Cup.
I really wouldn't bet on it.

I think I'm going to state the most obvious reason why hockey will never take the main stage in LA: there are just too many dumb people here that are unable to wrap their heads around a sport as cerebral as hockey. The only hope is that the media decides to get on board and actually force this down people's throats because those same people will eventually like anything that becomes trendy.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 05-16-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: ...
Old
05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
I think part of the media problem in Los Angeles is that the local sports reporters just don't know hockey. You see this in obvious gaffes like the Sacramento Kings logo the other night, but also when talk radio guys try to talk about it. It's clear pretty quickly that they don't really follow the game or understand its ins and outs. And lookign at the ESPN example, why was the Clippers' loss the top story? Some producer decided to run that first. If that producer knows more about hockey and has hockey-literate reporters, then they can say something about it. The same with the KNX 1070 example someone posted earlier, where they talk baseball and basketball and then refer the listeners to their website for hockey. I'll bet money that their website just has a bunch of links to associated press articles or nhl.com. The reason they're not talking about it is that they don't know how.

Hammond, Quisp, Helene Elliot, places like HF or LGK ARE the hockey media in Los Angeles. These are the only people capable of speaking or writing intelligently about hockey in southern California, and until that changes, and we get more proper, KNOWLEDGEABLE hockey people in sports reporting, hockey will continue to get low billing.

The only way I can see this happening is if the Kings win consistently for a few years. They have to FORCE the local media to pay attention to them, not just for one playoff run, but every year.

You are forgetting Kingscast on Youtube!

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
King had the game winner.

Don't you know that Carter only scores in blow outs?
Mehhhhhhhh, I know NHL credited King for the deflection, but it was Stoll

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
I really wouldn't bet on it.

I think I'm going to state the most obvious reason why hockey will never take the main stage in LA: there are just too many dumb people here that are unable to wrap their heads around a sport as cerebral as hockey. The only hope is that the media decides to get on board and actually force this down people's throats because those same people will eventually like anything that becomes trendy.
I've got it: AEG needs to buy NBC and cram Kings hockey down everyone's throat.

Last night I went to my local Sports Authority store to get a Kopitar or Brown t-shirt for our son. They had NO Kings merchandise in the store - zero, zip, nada.

Lot's of Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, some Clippers - even some Yankee and Redsox stuff. Many kinds of hats, no Kings hats.

Last weekend tried Big 5, same thing.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I've got it: AEG needs to buy NBC and cram Kings hockey down everyone's throat.

Last night I went to my local Sports Authority store to get a Kopitar or Brown t-shirt for our son. They had NO Kings merchandise in the store - zero, zip, nada.

Lot's of Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, some Clippers - even some Yankee and Redsox stuff. Many kinds of hats, no Kings hats.

Last weekend tried Big 5, same thing.

Maybe it's the Kings' marketing department's fault that Kings merchandise isn't part of the mainstream.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

The "media" is irrelevant, who the **** cares? Hell, I wouldn't piss in Jim Rome's mouth if his stomach was on fire.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
MsWoof

The Kings have been the talk of the hockey world up here in Canada for quite some time. We have TSN Radio and The Fan 590 which are both all-sports stations and they're always talking about the Kings.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:08 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
The "media" is irrelevant, who the **** cares? Hell, I wouldn't piss in Jim Rome's mouth if his stomach was on fire.
Awe, I like Rome as long as he's not talking golf or horse racing.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some Coyotes fans... calling Dustin Brown a cheapshot artist. I'd love to see anyone point to any cheapshot that Brown has delivered in his career. I'll just attribute it to the number of new fans that suddenly developed when the Coyotes got into the playoffs.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-16-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: disparaging remarks removed
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Dustin Penner picks the right guy and handles the situation.

Did you notice after this there were no more scrums ,penner stood up for his teammate and put an end to it at the right time, even if he gets instigator there the message was sent, how weird is it to right good stuff about penner, one of my 23 favorite kings GO KINGS GO

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:30 PM
johnjm22

This team has breezed through the playoffs so quickly, that it's almost like the local media/populace hasn't had much of a chance to catch on.

No game sevens, no epic comebacks, no starring elimination in the face. Playoff drama is what captivates a city, and there hasn't been any. The Kings have been too good, for their own good (in terms media notoriety).

It feels like there was more buzz about the team in 2001 during those epic Detroit and Colorado series.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
How's this for a jinx, if the Kings win the WCF, does Brown touch the trophy?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Wooty

Quote:
How's this for a jinx, if the Kings win the WCF, does Brown touch the trophy?
Yes, and he should out loud, thank Bettman and call him Gary. "Gary, thank you so much for bringing this to Los Angeles. We are proud to have it"

I think the booing that people do with Bettman is tacky and pointless.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

God... If we get there, I would hope we can be the fan base that cheers. 44 years. I dont want that defining historic moment to be littered with boos. Bettman is presenting the Cup to the fans, the team and the city. Even if you think he is a turd, I don't want to spoil that moment with booing.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:08 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
God... If we get there, I would hope we can be the fan base that cheers. 44 years. I dont want that defining historic moment to be littered with boos. Bettman is presenting the Cup to the fans, the team and the city. Even if you think he is a turd, I don't want to spoil that moment with booing.
"44 years!" (or is it 45?) over and over would be a great chant if we ever get there.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Momesso

Wow Kings fans.

This must be surreal for you guys. Your team is steamrolling a vicious Western conference.

Last time I cheered for the Kings was 93 (even though they beat us, just like this year).

Hope you can pull off 6 more. For my man Willie Mitchell.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
"44 years!" (or is it 45?) over and over would be a great chant if we ever get there.
Holy crap, I'm imagining that now...

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote