HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Garrison - Canucks top of his list if he hits UFA status.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:45 PM
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Letting a good young defenceman walk for nothing seems like pretty poor asset management no matter how much depth you have.
Well him walking for nothing now is a moot point as he is a UFA.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Well him walking for nothing now is a moot point as he is a UFA.
On July 1st.
I wonder if they can sign him and then look at trading him. Assuming of course he wants to play in Florida but the team doesn't want to pay him what he wants.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
It sounds like he could be using this interview to get the process moving. Express interest in Vancouver by hinting/saying they'll be high on your list. Maybe he thinks that will bring the money up that Florida offered him. Maybe it's posturing for his contract?

He has some leverage on Florida only IF they want him back. If they feel they will be fine without him then they may not care about this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post

As for the speculation...it's true of many B.C.ers. Guys like Ladd and Recchi and even Niedermayer (although I wasn't sure if he rooted for the Canucks, Flames or Oilers...he has roots in both provinces I thought) have said that it doesn't influence them, or even that they'd rather not play for a home town team, but I see no reason why not for Garrison. He'd be a fit here, and assuming Florida isn't interested in retaining his services, they have a solid defense corps without him and could probably use 4 million+ else where on their roster (who couldn't?). Then again, always fun to be part of a contender you contributed to building, so it should be fun to see how this rolls out.
This is his true chance at a "BIG" contract, might be his last chance.

I doubt he leaves money on the table for Vancouver.

I also doubt he signs anywhere prior to July 1st (even if his rights are acquired) it just makes too much sense to see what ALL the possibilities are, and I dont think Vancouver can provide him the best of all aspects (ice time, money, role etc).

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
He shoots left. Unfortunately for Vancouver fans, that means AV will likely stick him on the left side, where we have a logjam already unless someone is moved out.
Ehrhoff shoots left too.

EDIT: And players can't tamper by saying where they'd like to go as far as I'm aware. Agents of a team (including players) could tamper by saying they'd like to see a player on their team, though. Especially if they're soon to be UFA.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
This is his true chance at a "BIG" contract, might be his last chance.

I doubt he leaves money on the table for Vancouver.

I also doubt he signs anywhere prior to July 1st (even if his rights are acquired) it just makes too much sense to see what ALL the possibilities are, and I dont think Vancouver can provide him the best of all aspects (ice time, money, role etc).
It's nice to think we could, but I am inclined to agree. We won't offer him the most money, odds of winning aren't far off, but nothing is assured (and I mean...Florida didn't finish badly by any stretch either), ice time we're down...unless the pull to play for the home team is very strong (see Tambellini at minimum last season), I wouldn't bet money on us signing him. Fun to pretend and imagine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Ehrhoff shoots left too.
Exception that proves the rule.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Shane Churla
Rookie User

Not interested in Garrison. Maybe if he took 800k-1m and we could offload Ballard then maybe...

The Canucks really need to go after a big name or swing a trade for someone like Bouwmeester, Webber. Suter. Boyle

Shane Churla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatles View Post

Why not say what side he plays? If I don't know what side Garrison plays I won't know what side Weaver & Campbell have played for you.
Mostly right, with Campbell setting him up.

Quote:
Panthers have a pretty sick D core now that I look at it.

Campbell - Overpaid, but a true #1.
Jovo - Overpaid, but stillplays very well.
Gudbranson- True emerging superstar.
Kulikov - Tons of potential.
Ellerby - Same as Kuli.
Weave- Very under-rated Dman.

Garrison doesn't really need to be back.
Ellerby doesn't have tons of potential, I'll be surprised if he's back. garrison is a big part of this team.

05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Al Lagoon

He seems like the next best d'man after Suter; nice consolation prize for someone.

He'll only be 27 at the start of next season, so I expect a 4-5 deal from someone

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Churla View Post
Not interested in Garrison. Maybe if he took 800k-1m and we could offload Ballard then maybe...

The Canucks really need to go after a big name or swing a trade for someone like Bouwmeester, Webber. Suter. Boyle
You'd rather have Bouw? Or even Boyle?? You've clearly not watched Garrison, and hes worth far more than that.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Churla View Post

Dude....

the bolded above really hurt your credibility.

the canucks pay Andrew Alberts 1.15/yr Garrison >>> Alberts

Bouwmeester is dreadfully overpaid for what he does, we've got Dan Hamhuis doing the same think for almost 3 million less.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
SufferingCatFan

Loved Garrison, but Florida cannot afford to pay what he will command as UFA. Our offer was reportedly in the $2.5 million range, which is about $1.5-2 million short of what he will likely get.

SufferingCatFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Loved Garrison, but Florida cannot afford to pay what he will command as UFA. Our offer was reportedly in the $2.5 million range, which is about $1.5-2 million short of what he will likely get.
Tallon will do all he can to get him back, its FAR from a foregone conclusion that he won't be back. I still think he will be. Still think its dumb not to bring him back.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

4.5 million is a boatload to give up for a guy who's had one good season. I'd be very weary of giving him a long term contract.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:46 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
4.5 million is a boatload to give up for a guy who's had one good season. I'd be very weary of giving him a long term contract.
Funny, I think the Oilers might make a pitch for him.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Whenever I watched the Panthers, Garrison was playing the left and Campbell the right

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
I agree it's a bit much, but he didn't have just one good season. He was very good last season defensively, just didn't put up the points.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
I really find it hard to believe FLA could let this guy walk if it takes under 5 M to get him re-signed. He's entering his prime, he's big, he's got a great shot and has been a solid defensive defenceman for most of his NHL career. Seems like a guy you really try to keep.

If he leaves for $ reasons, the only conclusion I can come up with is the Jovo contract is already hurting their budget.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Please stop saying "1 good year". He was excellent defensively last season. If 2 years playing shutdown minutes and excelling at it is not enough then I don't know what is. The offense might be a bit of a question mark but that's about it.
Yeah, that's the thing. If you were to sign him expecting 17 goals, you'll likely be disappointed. His shooting percentage last season was almost double the rest of his career, not sure if that's sustainable.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Love to have him, although if we deal Luongo to Toronto. It would create something of a logjam on defense, seeing Salo is liable to be resigned.

Bieska - Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Scheen - Salo
Tanev

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
i didnt realize all a team had to do to qualify as an "Elite" was win a division and win one playoff game. You must be redundant then since panthers are on the same footing as the canucks.
Win a division? not quite, try 1st in the entire league. Twice. In a row.

Win one playoff game? Try came one playoff game from winning it all.

See, I can do it too.

Vorkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Vorkosh

He'll probably take a hometown discount if Vancouver is a "dream come true"

My guess is, 3.5 million 2 year deal with a club option for the 3rd and a player option for the 4th

675k to 3.5 is a huge jump, and we've seen plenty of people accept less to stay or play in Vancouver (sedins, hamhuis, bieksa, kesler, burrows, salo, etc)

Vorkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Funny, I think the Oilers might make a pitch for him.
I'd be okay with a 1/2 year deal at that price, anything more would and we could end up with the Ville Leino of defense. Unfortunately, this is the organization that signed Shawn Horcoff and Sheldon Souray after all.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:26 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
On July 1st.
I wonder if they can sign him and then look at trading him. Assuming of course he wants to play in Florida but the team doesn't want to pay him what he wants.
So he's going to sign in Florida because he wants to be there, but then they trade him after signing him as a UFA to get something back for him?

That's not going to happen. Would make Florida look terrible and would hurt future negotiations with players. He's now a pending UFA, and the only value he has is that of his rights - maybe a 4th round pick or a 3rd at best. As has been mentioned many times here, sign and trades for UFA don't happen in this league.

---------------

As far as the fit for him in Vancouver, he'd have to have proven he's comfortable playing the right side, which I've personally never seen him play. We know that the 3 left dmen we have - Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard - none are comfortable on the right side. So if Garrison is signed in Vancouver he either has to play the right side or one of Edler or Ballard have to be dealt. and if it's Edler, either he or Ballard moves into the top-4 while the other is on the 3rd pairing, while if it's Ballard who gets moved, Garrison would slide into the 3rd pairing leaving the team with the same problem they have now - too expensive a 3rd pairing dman.

After the problems we've had the past 2 years trying to plug a natural left-side dman to the right side, I'd think Gillis and his staff would be very cautious of doing that again. Garrison may have publicly said he wants to play in Vancouver, but like we've seen in the past with Kariya and Whitney, maybe the fit isn't there to bring him in.

Having said that, after the mess the defense was in for most of the season, maybe it's time for some drastic moves and that could mean trading one or both of Edler/Ballard and bringing in Garrison and another cheaper bottom pairing guy. But unless the club is planning big changes on defense, or unless Garrison has proven capable of playing the right side, the fit likely isn't there.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
He'll probably take a hometown discount if Vancouver is a "dream come true"

My guess is, 3.5 million 2 year deal with a club option for the 3rd and a player option for the 4th

675k to 3.5 is a huge jump, and we've seen plenty of people accept less to stay or play in Vancouver (sedins, hamhuis, bieksa, kesler, burrows, salo, etc)
This is not even possible, but I could see him taking slightly less then market value

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
arsmaster

For him to sign in Vancouver IMO, it would take the Canucks old go to contract for defensman - 4 years 14 million (Pretty sure Salo, Ohlund and Mitchell all took that).

There will be plenty of teams that offer much more in terms of salary and likely term. He'll have to weigh the options of:

HUGE pay day vs very big pay day vs big pay day in a place he wants to be.