HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rick Nash

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM
  #126
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,378
vCash: 500
He ends up in Columbus.

And is joined by Joe Thornton and Roberto Luongo, whose current teams decide that they'll bite the bullet and make a move. Vancouver to get out from under Luongo's contract and eliminate the nonstop goalie controversy, and San Jose to clear some space while beginning a rebuild of sorts.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
  #127
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
He was supposedly caught off guard when Howson told the media that Nash was the one requesting a trade and was upset. I think he wanted his request to remain quiet and that he approached management as a courtesy instead of waiting a few seasons and then demanding a trade.
The speculation was all exactly that until Nash's agent (Joe Resnick) decided to talk to the media on the last Saturday in February, less than 48 hours before the trade deadline.

If he hadn't done that, Howson says nothing. It was a game of brinksmanship.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:00 PM
  #128
Younghockey94
Registered User
 
Younghockey94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Leafs Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
I think he stays in Columbus.. at least for another year.

Younghockey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:07 PM
  #129
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Yeah I know Resnick applied pressure by saying Nash's list wouldn't expand.

However, for what little it is worth, Howson's response was the wrong one in my opinion. I think releasing that fact does not serve to improve Nash's value. The less said the better IMO.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
  #130
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,260
vCash: 500
Does Philly even have the cap room? They are going to have to re-sign Schenn and Couturier in a couple of years too.

I think they'd be better served trying to go after Ryan Suter.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
  #131
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
He ends up in Columbus.

And is joined by Joe Thornton and Roberto Luongo, whose current teams decide that they'll bite the bullet and make a move. Vancouver to get out from under Luongo's contract and eliminate the nonstop goalie controversy, and San Jose to clear some space while beginning a rebuild of sorts.
You're not getting both Thornton and Luongo while still retaining the no.2 pick + Johanson + Jack Johnson.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
  #132
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,123
vCash: 500
Unfortunately I think hes going to end up in Boston.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:15 PM
  #133
54roughing*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Pavelski plays against tougher competition than all of those guys, consistently, and puts up more points (slightly) than Nash doing so at the same time as shutting down those opposing players defensively to a level Nash cannot touch. Pavelski is a selke level defensive forward and I fully expect him to be nominated for one at some point.

Pavelski produces no matter who he is paired with. Again, I point out, for all your hyperbole, Pavelski had more points than Nash when he played on the 3rd line with the likes of Wellwood and Mitchell.

Nash is hugely overhyped and highly overpaid.



You can continue to hype the Nash train all you like, but it's simply not backed up by any evidence, and let me put it in bold for you since no one seems to grasp this:

JOE PAVELSKI GETS PAID HALF OF WHAT RICK NASH IS PAID.

There value is not equal, Pavelski is a superior two-way player. You talk about hits, Pavelski takes face-offs better than any top centerman int he league. He blocks more shots than Nash, he's better defensively, and he's equal offensively, whether the Nash apologists want to admit it or not.

Until Nash starts putting up 40 goal seasons again I'm not interested in him at $8m a season, sorry. Especially not at the cost of Pavelski, and bringing up Couture isn't even funny. Keep up with the insults, I'll keep up with the facts.
pavelski would be lucky to score 10 goals in columbus

he's not nearly as talented as Nash

theres a reason that the Sharks consistently fall short in the playoffs and Pavelski is a major part of that


nobody in their right mind all things being equal salary wise, would take pavelski over Nash,

you wanna say Nash is paid too much fine, but you cant say Pavelski is his equal as a player, because frankly thats assinine

54roughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
  #134
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,214
vCash: 500
If rangers don't win cup I think he goes there, but if they do, SJ.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
  #135
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54roughing View Post
pavelski would be lucky to score 10 goals in columbus

he's not nearly as talented as Nash

theres a reason that the Sharks consistently fall short in the playoffs and Pavelski is a major part of that


nobody in their right mind all things being equal salary wise, would take pavelski over Nash,

you wanna say Nash is paid too much fine, but you cant say Pavelski is his equal as a player, because frankly thats assinine
Pavelski is his equal as a player. He's not his equal in talent (which i have said several times) but he is absolutely out-performing him at half the value.

And your 10 goals comment is what is asinine. He scored 20 goals with Torrey Mitchell and Kyle Wellwood for gods sake, on our 3rd line.

Here is my challenge to you (which I am sure you will ignore):

1) Find statistical proof over the last two seasons (beceause we base the value of a player on what he is doing today, not 3-5 years ago) where Rick Nash is clearly superior. Keep in mind, whatever your results are need to be $3.8M better.

2) Find statistical proof of 'elite' players being moved from poor teams to good teams and where their stats increased significantly. You cannot use players who were injured during their final season with the team they left, last healthy season only.

If you actually do those things, you will understand my argument.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
  #136
Petter Granberg
Registered User
 
Petter Granberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Originally my best guess was the Rangers...have to wonder how much their interest goes down if they win the Cup.

Petter Granberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
  #137
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,646
vCash: 526
It's between San Jose and the Blue Jackets at the moment.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:35 PM
  #138
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
You're not getting both Thornton and Luongo while still retaining the no.2 pick + Johanson + Jack Johnson.
I don't see any of those being necessary pieces for Luongo. He has better value than many think, but I still think the biggest value for the Canucks is losing that contract.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:38 PM
  #139
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Off the top of my head; James Neal.

He is an example of a powerforward winger who put up considerably more points after getting traded.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:53 PM
  #140
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
1) Find statistical proof over the last two seasons (beceause we base the value of a player on what he is doing today, not 3-5 years ago) where Rick Nash is clearly superior. Keep in mind, whatever your results are need to be $3.8M better.

2) Find statistical proof of 'elite' players being moved from poor teams to good teams and where their stats increased significantly. You cannot use players who were injured during their final season with the team they left, last healthy season only.

If you actually do those things, you will understand my argument.

1) Rick Nash is paid 7.8 million per year after because he was paid on his UFA deal, why do people keep bringing up Pavelski's salary as some huge deal? Pavelski came into the league later than Nash and as such his contracts haven't happened at the same time as Nash. When Pavelski re-signs in 2 years the gap will be much closer. For statistical proof...Nash put up 30 goals and 33 goals the last 2 seasons and the best center on the team was RJ Umberger, Antoine Vermette, Derrick Brassard or Ryan Johansen. While the most used d-men were Tyutin and Wizniewski and Jan Hejda 2 seasons ago.

Now if someone ACTUALLY has to explain to you why a players offence is affected by those around him you truly are lost...but at the very least you can appreciate that a team with Dan Boyle playing 26:14 and 25:34 per night the last 2 seasons is going to be much better offensively. That doesn't even take into consideration that the Sharks have 4 guys who are significanlty better than anyone Columbus can play with, and that doesn't include Heatley from last season, Clowe (because he's not that great) or Havlat this season (who missed half the season).

Do you know anything about how teams play defence in the NHL? What do you think is harder for a team to play against, a team like Columbus or a team like San Jose? Don't you think the fact that the team has 1 first liner and not a single top pairing d-man should be taken into consideration in the discussion?

2) The thing is that most teams surround good players with other good players. I'm sure if someone really wanted to take the time to refute your argument there are examples to be found of this but when you so blatantly ignore other facts and act as though you're providing "factual evidence" why would anyone take the time to do that? I'll provide a counter to your argument, how often do great players toil away on bad teams? Since you seem to think you can win an argument by daring people to waste their time refuting what someone on the internet says I'll play along as well. Show me all these great players who had average numbers and underperformed because their team never improved around them OR show me these examples where great players got traded to better teams and didn't improve their numbers.

You can do any number of examples from either. You won't be able to any better or worse than what you've challenged people to do and act as though because no one will care enough about what you say to refute it all that indicates you're right.

For the record Daniel Briere from Phoenix to Buffalo is a great example of a guy going to a much better team and putting up significant better numbers. Also, Thornton when he went to San Jose put up SIGNIFICANTLY better numbers even though he'd had a 101 point season while in Boston.

Again, if you really don't think that had anything to do with going from a weak offensive team to a strong offensive team I don't know what to tell you.


Last edited by UniverStalinGraduate*: 05-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
  #141
54roughing*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Pavelski is his equal as a player. He's not his equal in talent (which i have said several times) but he is absolutely out-performing him at half the value.

And your 10 goals comment is what is asinine. He scored 20 goals with Torrey Mitchell and Kyle Wellwood for gods sake, on our 3rd line.
yes while every other team is focusing on Thornton and Marleau and Couture Pavelski flies under the radar

in columbus, Pavelski on our top line is lucky to score 10 goals, since he would be the focal point of all of our opponents attention

your lack of understanding is astounding. in San Jose Nash can escape constant double coverages since there are others similarly talented in hornton and Marleau and Couture

James Neal
Rick Middleton
Cam Neely
Markus Naslund
Denis Maruk


Last edited by 54roughing*: 05-16-2012 at 07:15 PM.
54roughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:36 PM
  #142
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,579
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
It's between San Jose and the Blue Jackets at the moment.
That's about where I am at this point. Depends on how this summer goes.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards_____________________________
Joining The Battle as We Fight, We March With Us Carrying The Hardcore Hockey Flag All Out All Season 'cause you Gotta See It Ignite The Night Live at Jackets Time
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
  #143
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I don't see any of those being necessary pieces for Luongo. He has better value than many think, but I still think the biggest value for the Canucks is losing that contract.
There are lots of teams that would take Luongo and Thornton on if the price was low, not just Columbus.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
  #144
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Few posts back man. Are you even reading my posts?

That was a long time ago, and Thornton is a VERY different player now, playing against very different levels of talent.
I wasn't sure what you meant by that because I was talking about the Swiss league.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
  #145
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,656
vCash: 50
I don't think he goes anywhere to be honest, unless the Jackets budge on their asking price. From what I've heard of the deadline offers, they're asking for the world for him and I just don't see a team budging.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
  #146
Phatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
i think the sharks are a good fit, theyre looking for a shake up, and have the pieces necessary.
Toronto shouldn't offer the pieces necessary, they are not in a position to be giving away 1st rounders and young prospects.
Detroit, if they strike out on Semin/Parise, could, but I can't imagine clb is huge on trading with them ^^

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
  #147
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
I think Nash and company will give it another season and the Jackets will be much improved next year and he'll stay with them.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
  #148
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,454
vCash: 500
I think he will decide between Toronto, Phoenix, New York , Dallas and maybe even Miami.

I really really hope he goes back to Dallas teaming up with Dirk for one more ring. Nash winning it all together with Dirk would make me happy.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
  #149
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
NYR for Dubinsky,Staal and Stepan. With Kreider ready for full time next season they have extra bodies. Also Dubinsky and Staal have been passed by Callahan and the likes of Girardi and McDonough.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
  #150
JackFr
Registered User
 
JackFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
NYR for Dubinsky,Staal and Stepan. With Kreider ready for full time next season they have extra bodies. Also Dubinsky and Staal have been passed by Callahan and the likes of Girardi and McDonough.
Nash is absolutely not worth that.

One of the most over-rated players in the game for three young players (at least two of whom are only gonna get better) who are already more than capable and have playoff experience.

If that's Nash's value, New York needs to run away. Do they want 7.8 on the books for 7 years?

JackFr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.