HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rick Nash

Old
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
He ends up in Columbus.

And is joined by Joe Thornton and Roberto Luongo, whose current teams decide that they'll bite the bullet and make a move. Vancouver to get out from under Luongo's contract and eliminate the nonstop goalie controversy, and San Jose to clear some space while beginning a rebuild of sorts.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
He was supposedly caught off guard when Howson told the media that Nash was the one requesting a trade and was upset. I think he wanted his request to remain quiet and that he approached management as a courtesy instead of waiting a few seasons and then demanding a trade.
The speculation was all exactly that until Nash's agent (Joe Resnick) decided to talk to the media on the last Saturday in February, less than 48 hours before the trade deadline.

If he hadn't done that, Howson says nothing. It was a game of brinksmanship.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Younghockey94

I think he stays in Columbus.. at least for another year.

Younghockey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Yeah I know Resnick applied pressure by saying Nash's list wouldn't expand.

However, for what little it is worth, Howson's response was the wrong one in my opinion. I think releasing that fact does not serve to improve Nash's value. The less said the better IMO.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Soundwave

Does Philly even have the cap room? They are going to have to re-sign Schenn and Couturier in a couple of years too.

I think they'd be better served trying to go after Ryan Suter.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
He ends up in Columbus.

And is joined by Joe Thornton and Roberto Luongo, whose current teams decide that they'll bite the bullet and make a move. Vancouver to get out from under Luongo's contract and eliminate the nonstop goalie controversy, and San Jose to clear some space while beginning a rebuild of sorts.
You're not getting both Thornton and Luongo while still retaining the no.2 pick + Johanson + Jack Johnson.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Shaun

Unfortunately I think hes going to end up in Boston.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:15 PM
54roughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Pavelski plays against tougher competition than all of those guys, consistently, and puts up more points (slightly) than Nash doing so at the same time as shutting down those opposing players defensively to a level Nash cannot touch. Pavelski is a selke level defensive forward and I fully expect him to be nominated for one at some point.

Pavelski produces no matter who he is paired with. Again, I point out, for all your hyperbole, Pavelski had more points than Nash when he played on the 3rd line with the likes of Wellwood and Mitchell.

Nash is hugely overhyped and highly overpaid.

You can continue to hype the Nash train all you like, but it's simply not backed up by any evidence, and let me put it in bold for you since no one seems to grasp this:

JOE PAVELSKI GETS PAID HALF OF WHAT RICK NASH IS PAID.

There value is not equal, Pavelski is a superior two-way player. You talk about hits, Pavelski takes face-offs better than any top centerman int he league. He blocks more shots than Nash, he's better defensively, and he's equal offensively, whether the Nash apologists want to admit it or not.

Until Nash starts putting up 40 goal seasons again I'm not interested in him at $8m a season, sorry. Especially not at the cost of Pavelski, and bringing up Couture isn't even funny. Keep up with the insults, I'll keep up with the facts.
pavelski would be lucky to score 10 goals in columbus

he's not nearly as talented as Nash

theres a reason that the Sharks consistently fall short in the playoffs and Pavelski is a major part of that

nobody in their right mind all things being equal salary wise, would take pavelski over Nash,

you wanna say Nash is paid too much fine, but you cant say Pavelski is his equal as a player, because frankly thats assinine

54roughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

If rangers don't win cup I think he goes there, but if they do, SJ.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54roughing View Post
pavelski would be lucky to score 10 goals in columbus

he's not nearly as talented as Nash

theres a reason that the Sharks consistently fall short in the playoffs and Pavelski is a major part of that

nobody in their right mind all things being equal salary wise, would take pavelski over Nash,

you wanna say Nash is paid too much fine, but you cant say Pavelski is his equal as a player, because frankly thats assinine
Pavelski is his equal as a player. He's not his equal in talent (which i have said several times) but he is absolutely out-performing him at half the value.

And your 10 goals comment is what is asinine. He scored 20 goals with Torrey Mitchell and Kyle Wellwood for gods sake, on our 3rd line.

Here is my challenge to you (which I am sure you will ignore):

1) Find statistical proof over the last two seasons (beceause we base the value of a player on what he is doing today, not 3-5 years ago) where Rick Nash is clearly superior. Keep in mind, whatever your results are need to be $3.8M better.

2) Find statistical proof of 'elite' players being moved from poor teams to good teams and where their stats increased significantly. You cannot use players who were injured during their final season with the team they left, last healthy season only.

If you actually do those things, you will understand my argument.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Petter Granberg

Originally my best guess was the Rangers...have to wonder how much their interest goes down if they win the Cup.

Petter Granberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
It's between San Jose and the Blue Jackets at the moment.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
You're not getting both Thornton and Luongo while still retaining the no.2 pick + Johanson + Jack Johnson.
I don't see any of those being necessary pieces for Luongo. He has better value than many think, but I still think the biggest value for the Canucks is losing that contract.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Off the top of my head; James Neal.

He is an example of a powerforward winger who put up considerably more points after getting traded.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:53 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

1) Find statistical proof over the last two seasons (beceause we base the value of a player on what he is doing today, not 3-5 years ago) where Rick Nash is clearly superior. Keep in mind, whatever your results are need to be $3.8M better.

2) Find statistical proof of 'elite' players being moved from poor teams to good teams and where their stats increased significantly. You cannot use players who were injured during their final season with the team they left, last healthy season only.

If you actually do those things, you will understand my argument.

1) Rick Nash is paid 7.8 million per year after because he was paid on his UFA deal, why do people keep bringing up Pavelski's salary as some huge deal? Pavelski came into the league later than Nash and as such his contracts haven't happened at the same time as Nash. When Pavelski re-signs in 2 years the gap will be much closer. For statistical proof...Nash put up 30 goals and 33 goals the last 2 seasons and the best center on the team was RJ Umberger, Antoine Vermette, Derrick Brassard or Ryan Johansen. While the most used d-men were Tyutin and Wizniewski and Jan Hejda 2 seasons ago.

Now if someone ACTUALLY has to explain to you why a players offence is affected by those around him you truly are lost...but at the very least you can appreciate that a team with Dan Boyle playing 26:14 and 25:34 per night the last 2 seasons is going to be much better offensively. That doesn't even take into consideration that the Sharks have 4 guys who are significanlty better than anyone Columbus can play with, and that doesn't include Heatley from last season, Clowe (because he's not that great) or Havlat this season (who missed half the season).

Do you know anything about how teams play defence in the NHL? What do you think is harder for a team to play against, a team like Columbus or a team like San Jose? Don't you think the fact that the team has 1 first liner and not a single top pairing d-man should be taken into consideration in the discussion?

2) The thing is that most teams surround good players with other good players. I'm sure if someone really wanted to take the time to refute your argument there are examples to be found of this but when you so blatantly ignore other facts and act as though you're providing "factual evidence" why would anyone take the time to do that? I'll provide a counter to your argument, how often do great players toil away on bad teams? Since you seem to think you can win an argument by daring people to waste their time refuting what someone on the internet says I'll play along as well. Show me all these great players who had average numbers and underperformed because their team never improved around them OR show me these examples where great players got traded to better teams and didn't improve their numbers.

You can do any number of examples from either. You won't be able to any better or worse than what you've challenged people to do and act as though because no one will care enough about what you say to refute it all that indicates you're right.

For the record Daniel Briere from Phoenix to Buffalo is a great example of a guy going to a much better team and putting up significant better numbers. Also, Thornton when he went to San Jose put up SIGNIFICANTLY better numbers even though he'd had a 101 point season while in Boston.

Again, if you really don't think that had anything to do with going from a weak offensive team to a strong offensive team I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by UniverStalinGraduate*: 05-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
54roughing*

Quote:
Pavelski is his equal as a player. He's not his equal in talent (which i have said several times) but he is absolutely out-performing him at half the value.

And your 10 goals comment is what is asinine. He scored 20 goals with Torrey Mitchell and Kyle Wellwood for gods sake, on our 3rd line.
yes while every other team is focusing on Thornton and Marleau and Couture Pavelski flies under the radar

in columbus, Pavelski on our top line is lucky to score 10 goals, since he would be the focal point of all of our opponents attention

your lack of understanding is astounding. in San Jose Nash can escape constant double coverages since there are others similarly talented in hornton and Marleau and Couture

James Neal
Rick Middleton
Cam Neely
Markus Naslund
Denis Maruk

Last edited by 54roughing*: 05-16-2012 at 07:15 PM.
54roughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
It's between San Jose and the Blue Jackets at the moment.
That's about where I am at this point. Depends on how this summer goes.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I don't see any of those being necessary pieces for Luongo. He has better value than many think, but I still think the biggest value for the Canucks is losing that contract.
There are lots of teams that would take Luongo and Thornton on if the price was low, not just Columbus.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Few posts back man. Are you even reading my posts?

That was a long time ago, and Thornton is a VERY different player now, playing against very different levels of talent.
I wasn't sure what you meant by that because I was talking about the Swiss league.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
I don't think he goes anywhere to be honest, unless the Jackets budge on their asking price. From what I've heard of the deadline offers, they're asking for the world for him and I just don't see a team budging.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Phatic

i think the sharks are a good fit, theyre looking for a shake up, and have the pieces necessary.
Toronto shouldn't offer the pieces necessary, they are not in a position to be giving away 1st rounders and young prospects.
Detroit, if they strike out on Semin/Parise, could, but I can't imagine clb is huge on trading with them ^^

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I think Nash and company will give it another season and the Jackets will be much improved next year and he'll stay with them.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
JoemAvs

I think he will decide between Toronto, Phoenix, New York , Dallas and maybe even Miami.

I really really hope he goes back to Dallas teaming up with Dirk for one more ring. Nash winning it all together with Dirk would make me happy.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
northernKing

NYR for Dubinsky,Staal and Stepan. With Kreider ready for full time next season they have extra bodies. Also Dubinsky and Staal have been passed by Callahan and the likes of Girardi and McDonough.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
NYR for Dubinsky,Staal and Stepan. With Kreider ready for full time next season they have extra bodies. Also Dubinsky and Staal have been passed by Callahan and the likes of Girardi and McDonough.
Nash is absolutely not worth that.

One of the most over-rated players in the game for three young players (at least two of whom are only gonna get better) who are already more than capable and have playoff experience.

If that's Nash's value, New York needs to run away. Do they want 7.8 on the books for 7 years?

JackFr is online now   Reply With Quote