HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "I Guess I've Got To Do It" Edition: Game 2: Rangers vs. Devils

Old
05-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
The Rangers are a lot more resilient a team mentally and physically than our HFboards community, thats for sure.

I'm sure they won't be packing it in on account of losing this game. They won't be saying "Well a real cup team wouldn't deserve to win after this loss. Moreover, we've won the last 2 series starting off the exact same way.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:42 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Gaborik only 12 minutes of ice time

Kreider Hagelin both got more minutes than Gaborik.

i know Gaborik hasnt been playing well but benching him in a tie game...does that make sense
Gaborik deserved to be benched. Poor effort in trying to clear the puck on the 2nd devils goal..got outworked and then they score a flukey goal. If hes not going to score he better be outworking the other team and that simply wasnt the case tonight. Hopefully he can turn it on, we need him

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:42 PM
corduroyg

i would tell the guys to stay in bed for the next 2 days and show up at the rock saturday morning ready to roll. screw practice, just rest

corduroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:46 PM
corduroyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbuttacallytime View Post
Gaborik deserved to be benched. Poor effort in trying to clear the puck on the 2nd devils goal..got outworked and then they score a flukey goal. If hes not going to score he better be outworking the other team and that simply wasnt the case tonight. Hopefully he can turn it on, we need him

you dont "punish" your best players in the eastern conference finals. gaborik could be playing the worst game of his career, i still have more confidence in him scoring to tie the game in the 3rd than brian boyle or brandon prust.

i just think its ridiculous to be benching guys and punishing guys in the eastern conference finals. stop shuffling lines...stop tinkering...stop sending messages....run your best guys out there, theyre the ones that got you here.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:52 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The Rangers are a lot more resilient a team mentally and physically than our HFboards community, thats for sure.

I'm sure they won't be packing it in on account of losing this game. They won't be saying "Well a real cup team wouldn't deserve to win after this loss. Moreover, we've won the last 2 series starting off the exact same way.
They may have enough mental toughness to come back from losses but they don't know how to build on wins.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyg View Post
you dont "punish" your best players in the eastern conference finals. gaborik could be playing the worst game of his career, i still have more confidence in him scoring to tie the game in the 3rd than brian boyle or brandon prust.

i just think its ridiculous to be benching guys and punishing guys in the eastern conference finals. stop shuffling lines...stop tinkering...stop sending messages....run your best guys out there, theyre the ones that got you here.
its what torts has done all year and its goten us this far. It would be one thing if gabby has been on a playoff tear, but hes been far from it. Torts plays players who earn their ice time. It definitely can be frustrating, but its gotten us to the ECF.

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:57 PM
thewaitingisover

Quote:

Pretty much.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
bigbluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

This.

Again, I get frustration and complaining, but those guys about to launch themselves from a window...?

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:01 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbuttacallytime View Post
its what torts has done all year and its goten us this far. It would be one thing if gabby has been on a playoff tear, but hes been far from it. Torts plays players who earn their ice time. It definitely can be frustrating, but its gotten us to the ECF.
If he didn't do that (cough cough with Kreider), there's a chance we win last series in 6. We might have won this game if he didn't bench Gaborik. Though it's doubtful for both.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Thefalkon

Quote:

It's about accountability, which arguably makes this Ranger team great. This is a team that usually goes all out and does whatever it takes to win games, which is evident in their shot blocking. Tortorella expects 125% from everyone, and if you don't give it your all or perform up to his expectations then you get benched. Gaborik knows that.

Could Gaborik have scored in the 3rd? Possibly. Should Tortorella put Gaborik out in a 1-goal game? Maybe. You can't go back and change what happened. You can't say Tortorella should stop tinkering with his lines in one sentence, and then start saying he should start tinkering with the coaching philosophy that got this team this far in another.

The Rangers will respond in game 3. They know what they did wrong and they realize they need to put forth a better effort for the next game.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:21 AM
theJUMPER

He played it along the boards hard, D man kept it and there was a deflection in the slot...

All Bickel's fault.

Give me a break.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefalkon View Post
It's about accountability, which arguably makes this Ranger team great. This is a team that usually goes all out and does whatever it takes to win games, which is evident in their shot blocking. Tortorella expects 125% from everyone, and if you don't give it your all or perform up to his expectations then you get benched. Gaborik knows that.

Could Gaborik have scored in the 3rd? Possibly. Should Tortorella put Gaborik out in a 1-goal game? Maybe. You can't go back and change what happened. You can't say Tortorella should stop tinkering with his lines in one sentence, and then start saying he should start tinkering with the coaching philosophy that got this team this far in another.

The Rangers will respond in game 3. They know what they did wrong and they realize they need to put forth a better effort for the next game.
If it's the regular season, then yes, he's been doing it all year and it worked, but it's the ECF. You need your best players on the ice when you're in dire need of a goal, not a Boyle or Prust. Gaborik can half ass it and i'd still have more confidence in him tying it up than one of our "grinders". Whatever, though. Like you said, Torts has been doing it all season, so let's hope he responds on Saturday.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:27 AM
theJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
one of the best defense in the league. one of the best goalies in the world. absolutely no scoring. Three goal game for them is high scoring, shut the other team down = wins. Thing is, if the other team happens to catch them sleeping and get three goals...they're ****ed.
What's annoying is how well the D is filling out the stat sheet, and it's still a struggle to score. All 5 are doing incredible in the offensive zone.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Petey Pucks

gaborik has 10 points in 16 playoff games but the problem is he only has 4 goals.that means he is scoring a goal in 1 out of every 4 playoff games and that is not good enough even for the playoffs when in the regular season he scored a goal every other game on average. we need our stars to start playing like stars. he is floating out there and not playing hard....how can people not see this?....he is capable of alot more than he is doing and torts knows this....this coupled with his stupid play and he deserved to be benched...torts is sending him a message because he know gabs is capable of much much more....gabs was awesome in the 2003 playoffs when the Wild went on that run and there is no reason he can't do that again after a 42 goal season....he needs a wake up call. torts isn't benching others (boyle) because he knows they are playing to their maximum capability....gabs isn't and hasn't been

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:37 AM
corduroyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
If it's the regular season, then yes, he's been doing it all year and it worked, but it's the ECF. You need your best players on the ice when you're in dire need of a goal, not a Boyle or Prust. Gaborik can half ass it and i'd still have more confidence in him tying it up than one of our "grinders". Whatever, though. Like you said, Torts has been doing it all season, so let's hope he responds on Saturday.

exactly. im all about sending messages and punishing guys and "earning your ice time" in the REGULAR SEASON. this is the f.reakin eastern conference finals!! we havent been this far in 15 years. this is rare air. theres a time for sending messages, the 3rd period of game 2 of the eastern conference finals down by 1 goal is not that time.

girardi was awful the first 2 periods of game 1, if he got the gaborik treatment he wouldnt have been on the ice to score the game winner.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Just got back from the game. Failure to clear the zone lead to the first two Devil goals. The third goal I'm not too sure because I was distracted by Kate Upton.

On the Kovalchuk PP goal- the reason that Boyle took the slashing penalty was because they weren't able to clear, and then on the PP right before Kovy scored they weren't able to clear either.

The second was just lazy defensive zone play. They showed no urgency in clearing the zone and were basically just floating around and the Devils came at them hard with the forecheck.

And also- I don't give a **** what Gaborik is playing like, you don't bench a 40+ goal scorer when you need a game-tying goal. Come the **** on Torts.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
ColonialsHockey10

So tonight was my first live Ranger game in years, and it was an absolute blast. Forgot how aggressive some of the fans can be lol. Made the loss much easier to swallow.

I won't say much about the game. Our inability to clear the puck out of the zone is sad, and the team should be embarrassed over how they **** up such a routine play. I've seen peewee hockey teams break the puck out better, it's pathetic.

And Callahan was a legit liability on the ice. He'll get the pass from some people, and I'll give him his credit when he finally decides to play hockey, but he couldn't stand on his feet and ruined every single offensive opportunity. If Callahan isn't bringing anything to the table he shouldn't be doing his stupid spin-o-rama passes that give the Devils a free breakout (not that they actually have trouble getting the puck out of their own zone, that's only us). Guy picked a fantastic ****ing time to play his worst hockey in over 2 years, injured or not.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Unpredictable1

Did I want a 2-0 lead? Yep, I wanted that in each of the last 2 series and never got it.

Guess what, we're in the Conference Finals. For whatever reason, I like our chances against the Devils more. It's a better match up if you ask me.

Man Clarkson out there tonight, as always, reminds alot of Avery. I would to have him here to be in Marty's kitchen right now. We're giving Marty too much space.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:47 AM
mug25

Bench Bickel. Play Eminger. If Torts doesn't...he's just a stubborn mule.

Kreider, Girardi, McD, Stepan all looked great tonight. Staal was ok. The rest...meh.

Also, WTF was with the constant whiffing on the puck? I counted 4 whiffed passes....2 in the Rangers zone.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
Also, WTF was with the constant whiffing on the puck? I counted 4 whiffed passes....2 in the Rangers zone.
This rest till Saturday will do them wonders I think.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Dangleberry

2nd NJ goal changed the momentum.

Game 2, we lost. By my count, we've been in this position a few times and look where we ended up.

Buckle up, because I see a long series ahead of us.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Petey Pucks

i didnt want a long series...many people here felt this matchup favored us much more than OTT and the CAPS.....so far it seems just like the previous two....same win game 1 lose game 2

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:07 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

160 bucks not well spent....at least I got Staal and Prusts autographs!

TriFF51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I give the Rangers a free pass tonight. This team just looks EXHAUSTED.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:42 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote