HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

IceMen To Hold A Major Press Confrence On Thursday, May 17th/Announce ECHL membership

Old
05-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Gibbie42

vCash: 500
IceMen To Hold A Major Press Confrence On Thursday, May 17th/Announce ECHL membership

http://www.evansvilleicemen.com/3886...he-ford-center

Quote:
THE ICEMEN ORGANIZATION WILL BE MAKING A MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT CONCERNING THE FUTURE DIRECTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE EVANSVILLE PRO HOCKEY FRANCHISE.
The expectation from everyone is that this is the announcement that sends us to the ECHL. It's been rumored and outright talked about for months. I expected it to come after the Kelly Cup was done but maybe they want to get it out well in advance of the CHL owners meetings. Also the date is two weeks before the CHL agreement expires. Should be an interesting presser! I'll certainly be there.

Last edited by Gibbie42: 05-16-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Gibbie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...673/-1/blogs11
Cohn's article in the News-Sentinel

http://nscontent.news-sentinel.com/?...d-so-it-begins
Brief blog from Sebring, speculating the Komets presser will be the same afternoon.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

I wonder how long the CHL will survive. They've now lost 3 teams to the ECHL (Colorado Eagles and Fort Wayne Komets being the others) and, 1 team to the SPHL. (MS Riverkings) Plus Laredo folding. Not looking good for CHL.

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Also, This is the second year in a row the Cup winning team leaves the league. How many leagues will this make for the Komets now? This will be Evansville's 3rd I think.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Gibbie42

According to Cohn it's the 4th for Ft. Wayne, but they've been around for 60 years, so that's understandable. It's indeed the 3rd for Evansville and, well, we've not been around as long. But every move has been designed to strengthen the franchise and insure a long life so I'm not overly worried about it. I think we'll probably settle in here for a while.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

I think it's a good move for both franchises.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Gibbie42

I do too. I'm quite excited about it. Glad that the announcement is coming sooner than I expected.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:58 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie42 View Post
According to Cohn it's the 4th for Ft. Wayne, but they've been around for 60 years, so that's understandable. It's indeed the 3rd for Evansville and, well, we've not been around as long. But every move has been designed to strengthen the franchise and insure a long life so I'm not overly worried about it. I think we'll probably settle in here for a while.
Apparently Cohn doesn't know this is the 2nd Ft. Wayne franchise. It's debateable you could say 5th alone for this one(IHL was hardly anytrhing like the UHL)

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:00 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

How many tea,s are we looking at for next year? This league is getting too big. Seperate coast leagues that have an AHL/NHL affiliation like the MLB is starting to make more and more sense.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
How many tea,s are we looking at for next year? This league is getting too big. Seperate coast leagues that have an AHL/NHL affiliation like the MLB is starting to make more and more sense.
How is the league getting too big? Adding a stable franchise like Ft Wayne only helps the league.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Quote:
Apparently Cohn doesn't know this is the 2nd Ft. Wayne franchise. It's debateable you could say 5th alone for this one(IHL was hardly anytrhing like the UHL)

That's what I was thinking. I knew they've been in many leagues. As I said before, Good for Ft. Wayne and Evansville bad for the CHL.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Evansville officially joins ECHL

http://www.echl.com/expansion-member...ville--p177538

Quote:
Expansion Membership approved for Evansville
May 17, 2012

PRINCETON, N.J. – The ECHL on Thursday announced that the Board of Governors has approved the Expansion Membership application of the Evansville IceMen for admission to the ECHL.

Evansville will begin play in October when the Premier ‘AA’ Hockey League celebrates its 25th season, making it the third-longest tenured professional hockey league behind only the National Hockey League and the American Hockey League.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:04 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
How is the league getting too big? Adding a stable franchise like Ft Wayne only helps the league.
By my count you have 4 teams coming in so you will have 23(unless something happens with the Chicago franchise i'm sure theres other places interested coming in the near future(They still show Reno and Columbia as coming to the league). If they start expanding all over the place travel will become ridiculous expense wise. Time for a split. We don't see the West anyway.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:55 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
By my count you have 4 teams coming in so you will have 23(unless something happens with the Chicago franchise i'm sure theres other places interested coming in the near future(They still show Reno and Columbia as coming to the league). If they start expanding all over the place travel will become ridiculous expense wise. Time for a split. We don't see the West anyway.
Whenever you can add a financially healthy franchise it is good for the league.

There is no reason for a split, more teams is better than less teams. As you said, you don't see the west teams anyway, so just have intraconference games during the regular season with East meeting West in the Kelly Cup finals.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote