HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What will the D look like next year?

Old
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No, it was said he made moves that would benefit the new GM. I wanted to know which ones those were. I agree with Cole, that did turn out to be a good signing.
He kept Price over Halak, acquiring Eller.
Traded O'Byrne for Bournival.
Re-signed Gorges long term at a very fair price.
Brought Emelin over.
Signed Diaz.
Acquired 3 extra 2nd round picks for the 2012/2013 draft.
Acquired Patrick Holland in the Cammalleri deal.
Traded up to draft Tinordi

Every one of those will have varying degrees of positive impact on the Habs over the next several years, in some cases they may be the reason the Habs are able to become consistent contenders.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
phoque taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He kept Price over Halak, acquiring Eller. Eller is misused and not handled properly. We will see how it will turns out. + Many rumors that he didnt talk to the 28 other teams for that deal.

Way too early to tell how Bournival will end up, but Obyrne is better than Weber/Diaz, physical touch that our squad needed this season. (and once traded, lots of injuries on D that season, bad move imo)

Re-signed Gorges long term at a very fair price. --- Of course signing Markov without testing him knee, but not trusting Gorges's knee and trying to sign him for a year for a discount, finally did cost more salary cap that it should.

Brought Emelin over. Sure.

Signed Diaz.
No need with Obyrne still on the roster. Weber & Diaz = same moule à tartes

heh, fortunately for Gauthier, Calgary missed the playoffs.

Traded up to draft Tinordi Cant say i hate that move, but we will know in 2-5 years.
- Getting a 3rd overall pick is mostly the only positive thing Gauthier did for this team, at the cost of a playoff spot and getting a non trade able contract. (I.E. Kaberle)

- Signing Cole.

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoque taupe View Post
- Getting a 3rd overall pick is mostly the only positive thing Gauthier did for this team, at the cost of a playoff spot and getting a non trade able contract. (I.E. Kaberle)

- Signing Cole.
How is Eller misused OR not handled properly?

Good lord, the straws people are grasping at just make me LoL like there's no tomorrow.

No one is saying Gauthier did a great job, but the way people talk about him is asinine as he did a far better job than many give him credit for.

And why is it fortunate for Gauthier that Calgary missed the playoffs? Would them making the playoffs make it worth it to pay Cammalleri 14 million (12 cap hit) over the next 2 seasons? Nope.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

What about Campoli?

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:20 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
What about Campoli?
Campoli is a solid depth d-man. Why do people call that such a bad signing? It was a 1 year deal and if Campoli had been healthy all year there's a good chance he coulda been traded for something half decent at the deadline.

I will add acquiring Geoffrion as well. Too early to tell what he'll be but he's another asset for the team.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Markov - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
Murray - Diaz
Kaberle

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Beendair Donedat

People keep forgetting Darren Dietz but he had a very good year in the WHL and could be a very big part of the defense down the road. Just my little Dietz plug for the day.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:35 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
gill netted a solid return as well. a 2nd and baby boom? for skillsy? comeon... getting bournival i feel will be a good move but it's a bit too early to tell. signing desharnais and patches to what account to slave wage as well.

he definitely ****ed the franchise more than he helped but he did do so good here and there. and a lot of his moves can't be properly judged yet. E.G., baby boom, holland, bournival, diaz, emelin, lots of second rounders this year and next...

oh sorry, this is HF, dichotomy land. i'll chose the "he sucked" option then.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Henriksen

I have been hoping that we will sign Salvador as that tough net clearing guy for the PK and the bottom pairing, but he might be too expensive after his play these playoffs.

We need a veteran who can be a rolemodel for the younger players and a good guy in the room, without having to sign him for too many years as there will be a need for open spots on the D in the next few years.

Henriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
angry pirate

To be honest I don't foresee major changes to our D this season. It's not secret that our team revolves around a healty Markov. Although Subban may be ready to take over that role sooner rather than later.

Progression of Subban, Emelin, And Diaz should make our backend improved over last years. Hopefully a healthy Markov will change the dynamic considerably. 2 possibilities I foresee, 1 with a 100% Markov, one without.

Markov - Gorges
Subban - Emelin
Kaberle - Diaz

With this possibility of swapping Markov and Subban if his knee can't handle top pairing minutes, or if he doesn't get that lost step back.

Don't forget, for all Kaberle's ineptitude, since donning the habs sweater, he still had the highest ppg pace of all our defenders last season.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:57 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
we'd probably have to add our 1st this year and probably Leblanc or something if we wanted Weber. In the end not even close to worth it.

I'll keep Subban thanks
thats why i didn't include the trade details. Who knows what would be needed to land Weber.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

What Gauthier did (positives)...
Brought Emelin over.
Signed Diaz.

Every one of those will have varying degrees of positive impact on the Habs over the next several years, in some cases they may be the reason the Habs are able to become consistent contenders.
I really couldn't agree with you more...really.
Hard to defend Gauthier here but the above is also how I feel.

Every move (except Gomez for McDonagh) Gauthier made...I agreed with (this includes stinkers like Campoli and Kaberle...I thought at the time that it would really work).

And everyone has to admit...Gauthier left Timmins many 2nd Rnd Picks to play around with...great stuff .

Anyways...looking forward to the Marc Bergevin era...

----------------- ----------------------

Back to topic:
I prefer to think about 2 yrs from now!!
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Dumba
Beaulieu - Ellis
Emelin

To Timmins:
please! please! get Dumba!!!! if he's not already chosen 2nd overall.

About our D for next year...any team that includes sensitive/soft as butter figure skating dmen like Kaberle, Weber, Diaz, and almost-not-so- cerebral-anymore/almost finished-for-good/soft-fragile-usually injured Markov...is a joke. Let's admit it 'cause it's the truth. I'm being too hard on Diaz...I actually htink he did well for his 1st NHL season, but imo he needs a tougher partner (maybe Emelin - Diaz...? or give him a tough UFA dman).
More truth...our Habs needs to get at least TWO TOUGH UFA dmen this summer. If not expensive UFA Ryan Suter, then...TWO not-so-expensive, solid #4-5-6 dmen...not gentle, small, sensitive figure skaters on D.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-17-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Sarich is available and cheap I definitely wouldn't mind signing him. Shot blocking, physical and a leader.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I really couldn't agree with you more...really.
Hard to defend Gauthier here but the above is also how I feel.

Every move (except Gomez for McDonagh) Gauthier made...I agreed with (this includes stinkers like Campoli and Kaberle...I thought at the time that it would really work).

And everyone has to admit...Gauthier left Timmins many 2nd Rnd Picks to play around with...great stuff .

Anyways...looking forward to the Marc Bergevin era...

----------------- ----------------------

Back to topic:
I prefer to think about 2 yrs from now!!
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Dumba
Beaulieu - Ellis
Emelin

To Timmins:
please! please! get Dumba!!!! if he's not already chosen 2nd overall.

About our D for next year...any team that includes sensitive/soft as butter figure skating dmen like Kaberle, Weber, Diaz, and almost-not-so- cerebral-anymore/almost finished-for-good/soft-fragile-usually injured Markov...is a joke. Let's admit it 'cause it's the truth. I'm being too hard on Diaz...I actually htink he did well for his 1st NHL season, but imo he needs a tougher partner (maybe Emelin - Diaz...? or give him a tough UFA dman).
More truth...our Habs needs to get at least TWO TOUGH UFA dmen this summer. If not expensive UFA Ryan Suter, then...TWO not-so-expensive, solid #4-5-6 dmen...not gentle, small, sensitive figure skaters on D.
Gauthier didn't trade for Gomez, Gainey did.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Takashi

I began really hating PG when he trade my favourite player; Mike Cammalleri

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs must build a more rugged D. Teams like the Rangers will eat up most of the Hab Dmen and spit them out.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Top Corner2

The biggest problem with Gauthier for me was that he was Sooooooo.... BORING.

His moves weren't really that bad, just conservative & predictable.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:00 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
The biggest problem with Gauthier for me was that he was Sooooooo.... BORING.

His moves weren't really that bad, just conservative & predictable.
IE, Bourque trade.

Writing was on the wall the whole year, and repeated by every analyst and journalist throughout this time.

the worst kept secret, and very poor return......FOR A GUY THAT I BOUGHT A CUSTOMIZED JERSEY OF!!!!!!

yes i have a cammy jersey and i'm bitter about it.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Habs

Quote:
Really? This was a tough call? Price over halak? Oh, and Eller? Players like him are a dime a dozen, if not more.

Quote:
Bournival hasn't done anything yet, and we could have used O'Byrne all year long. I am not that high on Bournival, so I guess we'll have to see on this one.

Quote:
Overpaid for Gorges.

Quote:
Brought Emelin over.
Wasn't just PG, it was an effort by the entire management.

Quote:
Signed Diaz.
True

Quote:
True, but he never got them for free.

Quote:
Just another prospect at this point.

Quote:
True.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:38 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Gorges isn't overpaid. You know nothing about the salary structure of the NHL and how free agency works if you think that.

As to if it was a tough call between Price and Halak go back to tthe time of the trade and read what people were saying, a LOT of people supported keeping Halak over Price. And you don't know what players like Eller are, he hasn't hit his ceiling and at owrst he's a damn good 3rd line centerman which every team needs to contend.

"Bournival hasn't done anything yet" You sound like a Leafs fan justifying the Kessel trade. O'Byrne is a fringe d-man and wouldn't have made a difference last year, Bournival is a question mark moving forward but the most prospects you have (See Holland and the 2nd round extra picks) the better chance you have of getting players.

People judge him more on the kind of person he is, than the job that he did. It's pretty funny watching people pretend that's not what they'r edoing.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Beendair Donedat

O'Byrne would have been the physical right hand shooting presence we could have used all year over the smurfs Weber, Diaz and St Denis. You realize the Habs blueline was/is softer than butter? Subban was leading the team in fighting majors for most of the year until White returned and they picked up Staubitz. Montreal definitely could have used a 6'5, 235 defenseman. All he did was lead Colorado's defense with 126 blocked shots and 168 Hits.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Dharvey33

Andre Marcotte Juste Jorge
Alexandre Hamelin Pierre Karl Simard
Jarrod Tenardieux Le jeune Veber
Thomas Cabernet-sauvignon Frederic St-denis

One of Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis will get a call up next year for sure. Tinordi is looking more and more like a steal he is the best dman on the knights squad well ahead of Oli Mataa.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Andre Marcotte Juste Jorge
Alexandre Hamelin Pierre Karl Simard
Jarrod Tenardieux Le jeune Veber
Thomas Cabernet-sauvignon Frederic St-denis

One of Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis will get a call up next year for sure. Tinordi is looking more and more like a steal he is the best dman on the knights squad well ahead of Oli Mataa.
Maatta is not yet drafted and 2 years younger than Tinordi; they are not even the same kind of defenceman (Maatta = offensive; Tinordi = defensive), give us a break comparing both please

patsbury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gauthier made a lot of good moves that Bergevin will end up getting credit for.
I'll stand in support of this statement; especially on defense. Signing Markov and trading for Kaberle will turn into good things this season and next. Getting Emelin to come over and signing Diaz are bonuses. Signing Gorges long-term and drafting Tinordi and Beaulieu all make for a solid defense for years to come to complement Subban. I think the latter goes to Timmons alone.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Mike The Wall

Markov
Free Agent
Gorges
Subban
Kaberle (might be traded if we find buyer!)
Emelin
Diaz

Weber traded at draft for draft pick 2nd or even 3rd

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote