HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Fan Culture vs. European Fan Culture

Old
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
acor

vCash: 500
Quote:
...without having to fear if at some point there's gonna be rioting in the stands like if you attend football matches.
Am I the only one who find it hypocritical when NA fans complain about riots in Europe AFTER last SC finals ?

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Am I the only one who find it hypocritical when NA fans complain about riots in Europe AFTER last SC finals ?
Please do not lump an entire continent in with what happened within a single city. There were no riots in the winning NA city, that should tell you something about the state of crowd management and preparedness in those two cities. Also, it helps to know that one of those cities has never won a major sports championship, and the other city has won 7 in the last 11 years. The phrase "act like you've been there before" seems to have been made to explain that tragedy.

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Please do not lump an entire continent in with what happened within a single city.
Detroit, Cleveland, Montreal, Denver, Boston (where people actually died) etc etc etc...post-game violence is pretty darn normal in North America...

Old
01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Please do not lump an entire continent in with what happened within a single city. There were no riots in the winning NA city, that should tell you something about the state of crowd management and preparedness in those two cities. Also, it helps to know that one of those cities has never won a major sports championship, and the other city has won 7 in the last 11 years. The phrase "act like you've been there before" seems to have been made to explain that tragedy.
There's no football violence in every single city either.

You can't generalize Football then proceed to defend N/A

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotic View Post
There's no football violence in every single city either.

You can't generalize Football then proceed to defend N/A
I didn't generalize Football. Someone else did, then the poster above did the same thing.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Detroit, Cleveland, Montreal, Denver, Boston (where people actually died) etc etc etc...post-game violence is pretty darn normal in North America...
Boston's riot where ONE person died was in 2004. She was a college student who was struck by a "non-lethal" pepper-ball fired by police. It happened to hit her in the chest and stopped her heart, a million to one shot. Since then, Boston has won 4 major sports championships with no riots. Even in the "riot" where the young student was killed, the crowds were very small, with no looting or burning of cars and businesses, and was mostly college kids raising hell. Matter of fact, 2 weeks later the Red Sox won the World Series with no rioting at all.

As I said, don't lump all of North America in with the looting, burning and widespread violence seen last year.

Last edited by jgatie: 01-17-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Boston's riot where ONE person died was in 2004.
One death after the 2004 Super Bowl. Another death after the 2004 AL pennant. And a third death after the 2008 Celtics championship.

Dozens of arrests and burning cars after 2007 World Series. Another riot after the 2005 Super Bowl win.

Not picking on Boston. This stuff happens all over the place. Fans in LA, for example, nuked police cruisers after the 2000 championship, and Denverites vandalized dozens of buildings after the Broncos Super Bowl win in the late 90s. And let's not even talk about the '84 catastrophe in Detroit...

Old
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Supersic
!!! WELTMEISTER !!!

Back in the day when I was a kid I went to soccer games to a certain 1st league football club with a nearby american air force barracks and we sometimes saw US soldiers attend these matches. It was always fun to see their reaction when the crowd got started and they didn't know what to exspect. 20 years ago pyrotechniques weren't forbidden on the terraces or at least no one really cared. Good times.

I still remember one black guy who always stood on the same place smoking small cigars. This guy was always by himself but boy he enjoyed himself. He had a big smile on his face and sometimes he asked questions like: what do you yell? do you call 'em names? And I went: Yes sir, we do call them dirty bums livin' under bridges.
I wonder where he is now.

Supersic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
One death after the 2004 Super Bowl. Another death after the 2004 AL pennant. And a third death after the 2008 Celtics championship.

Dozens of arrests and burning cars after 2007 World Series. Another riot after the 2005 Super Bowl win.

Not picking on Boston. This stuff happens all over the place. Fans in LA, for example, nuked police cruisers after the 2000 championship, and Denverites vandalized dozens of buildings after the Broncos Super Bowl win in the late 90s. And let's not even talk about the '84 catastrophe in Detroit...
The death after the 2004 Superbowl was a car accident, where a foreign student who was not used to driving in Boston panicked and ran a bystander over. Hardly a victim of violent rioting. And I searched for a death after the Celtics won, but came across no mention of any rioting, never mind a death. Ditto to the WS and SB in 2007 and 2005. If there was "rioting" it was small and not newsworthy. I live here, and I don't recall anything except a few rowdy college students.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Medo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coog View Post
Not to derail the thread but I didn't know that there were teams from the Balkan playing at such a high level. Great to see the sport growing in non traditional markets!
They are doing fantastic actually.

Last edited by Medo: 09-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Medo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:28 AM
LOFIN

Had to bump this thread for a video from the match between to Russian football teams, Spartak and Zenit. It seems Spartak fans did a little tifo insulting one of Zenit's symbols (our Russian friends here can correct me about this one). Absolutely hillarious
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d4_1333228873

Video might be offensive for some people though.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Oh wow, that's absolutely hilarious.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:34 AM
kronan

Here is a taste of how it can look like in Europe
compilation from season 11/12

kronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
kronan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_YkBIUzP4

Last edited by kronan: 05-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.
kronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:50 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_YkBIUzP4
Nice video. Love it how half of the comments section is taken by Jokerit fans pointing out the mistake in the video where it says they were IFK fans.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Not the best of video quality, but you'll get the picture about the atmosphere in Zagreb.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:56 AM
adaptation

Theres always gonna be a few *******s that create trouble and draw media attention - European media really pushes it when they see trouble - however i would hardly say that crowd violence is ''a european thing''. To say that fan dedication = how violent they get, is ridiculous.

The real truth and i am both a soccer and hockey fan for over 20 years, is that soccer CAN GET DULL. It is slower, the defense is much harder to break. Hockey can get dull too - but not at the rate of soccer. This is the original background of singing and chanting in stadiums.

Europe has a culture of backing their guys, more then in North America. When Ricky Hatton(UK boxer) came to north america and fought on HBO, you had a good chunk of guys coming from Manchester and making the trip to Vegas, singing all the way through I can assure you, that didn't even happen with the top american boxers going to Europe.

One thing to note is that European fans can go to both away and home games with ease, while it is impossible for an nhl fans to follow his team on the road. Russian leagues aside, a soccer fan could easily go to the majority of lets say Manchester United away games in the premier league. This creates big ''home team'' vs ''away team'' crowds, which try to ''out-chant'' each other. That is impossible in the NHL, except for Ottawa-Toronto and New York games.

While north american fan could be a little more organized, they are still great and we shouldn't say they are bad. They pay a lot of money 42 times a year and that in itself is dedication.

Last edited by adaptation: 05-17-2012 at 12:02 PM.
adaptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

sweden/denmark hooligans, fight from yesterday

Downside with European fan culture. Fighting in town, arena and like this video, arranged fight in middle of knowhere.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:14 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:48 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Just learn to boo. The whistling just makes it sound like Bieber just walked into an arena of 15 year old girls.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote