HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lombardi to Washington

Old
05-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Lombardi to Washington

With Kuznetsov staying in Russia and Semin possibly on the way it, it looks like the Caps will need help at wing in their top 6. One way to solve this problem without spending a lot of money on the FA market is by moving Brooks Laich up as a winger and finding someone to take over his role as 3C, which is a much easier hole to fill.

Matthew Lombardi's speed (imagine a line with him and Jason Chimera) and two-way game fit perfectly for what the Caps would be looking for at the position. He's a risk because of that concussion, but there's only one year left on his contract and that also means a lower asking price.

Speaking of which, what would Leafs' fans place his value at? I'd expect a 3rd or 4th would do it, or maybe Joel Ward.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:36 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Jets' 4th? I'd do that.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:36 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
With Kuznetsov staying in Russia and Semin possibly on the way it, it looks like the Caps will need help at wing in their top 6. One way to solve this problem without spending a lot of money on the FA market is by moving Brooks Laich up as a winger and finding someone to take over his role as 3C, which is a much easier hole to fill.

Matthew Lombardi's speed (imagine a line with him and Jason Chimera) and two-way game fit perfectly for what the Caps would be looking for at the position. He's a risk because of that concussion, but there's only one year left on his contract and that also means a lower asking price.

Speaking of which, what would Leafs' fans place his value at? I'd expect a 3rd or 4th would do it, or maybe Joel Ward.
To most Leaf fans, his value won't be high. ie a 7th round pick/bag of pucks/insert joke here.

I wouldn't want to take on Joel Ward's contract. Would Washington want to work around something for Troy Brouwer?

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Give us a pick and we'll call it a day.

Joe Pesci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
To most Leaf fans, his value won't be high. ie a 7th round pick/bag of pucks/insert joke here.

I wouldn't want to take on Joel Ward's contract. Would Washington want to work around something for Troy Brouwer?
Not if Lombardi's value is a bag of pucks. We spent a 1st on Brouwer just last summer.

I haven't seen much of Lombardi this year, is he really that bad post-concussion?

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Rinzler

He looked better as the season wore on. I think he will bounce back next year with a good off season.

Rinzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Not if Lombardi's value is a bag of pucks. We spent a 1st on Brouwer just last summer.

I haven't seen much of Lombardi this year, is he really that bad post-concussion?
Personally, I like Lombardi and it amazes me how quickly Leafs fans turned on him KNOWING he had not only had a career threatening concussion(it was that bad) but that he came back early, probably too early. Last season he wasn't great but I'd certainly give the guy another crack. He can be a very useful play in a variety of roles. Like I said though, amazes me how quickly people forget how serious of an injury he suffered. He's a guy I can really see doing well next year and unless we need the cap space, which we may or may not need, if the latter is the case, I'll keep him. You cannot teach that kind of speed.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Alexander Baigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Personally, I like Lombardi and it amazes me how quickly Leafs fans turned on him KNOWING he had not only had a career threatening concussion(it was that bad) but that he came back early, probably too early. Last season he wasn't great but I'd certainly give the guy another crack. He can be a very useful play in a variety of roles. Like I said though, amazes me how quickly people forget how serious of an injury he suffered. He's a guy I can really see doing well next year and unless we need the cap space, which we may or may not need, if the latter is the case, I'll keep him. You cannot teach that kind of speed.
For me, it's not that Lombardi is a bad player so much, but he's taking up room on the roster and cap space at a position that can be easily filled by someone else in the system. Toronto can part with some of it's speed if it means size/grit/truculence is on it's way.

Any chance Washington trades their first for a package including Lombardi? Lombardi + Blacker + D'amigo + 2012 2nd round pick?

Alexander Baigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:28 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

We have too many players like him IMO and he is highly expendable. 2nd-3rd betweeners. Wards we don't have enough of. Brown and Steckel are the only true 4th liners, bottom 6 players we have. I'd take Ward in a heartbeat, I think.

He is a true plumber type, right? A bit gritty, bottom 6 defensive responsible? I don't see enough of him.

EDIT: F NO! We need to eliminate salary. 3M for Ward is too much for us. We have too much salary in our bottom 6 with Lonbardi, Connoly and Armstrong taking up ~ 11M in cap space. I'd take a pick. Anything 3-5 would likely be accepted.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:14 AM
TOGuy14

Give us a 3rd and he is yours.

It isn't that Lombardi is a bad player, he is just very redundant on our team and that cap space needs to be moved from a 2nd / 3rd line player to a top line player

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

[QUOTE=Zoidberg Jesus;49810469]Not if Lombardi's value is a bag of pucks. We spent a 1st on Brouwer just last summer.

I haven't seen much of Lombardi this year, is he really that bad post-concussion?[/QUOTE]

No, actually not. It's just that he is holding a position that guys like Kadri or Frattin could have.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:45 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Give us a 3rd and he is yours.

It isn't that Lombardi is a bad player, he is just very redundant on our team and that cap space needs to be moved from a 2nd / 3rd line player to a top line player
TO will be lucky to get a 4th rounder for Lombardi. Washington is in need of a top 6 player and Lombardi doesn't fit that description.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:49 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
For me, it's not that Lombardi is a bad player so much, but he's taking up room on the roster and cap space at a position that can be easily filled by someone else in the system. Toronto can part with some of it's speed if it means size/grit/truculence is on it's way.

Any chance Washington trades their first for a package including Lombardi? Lombardi + Blacker + D'amigo + 2012 2nd round pick?
Are you kidding, how does this help Washington, with the exception of the 2nd the rest are over priced or over valued.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:49 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:

I think our anger towards him has more to do with him taking up spots we can fill internally for much much cheaper (Kadri, Frattin even Ashton etc.)

You can have him for a pick. ANY pick.

Also feel free to take Komisarek along with him 2 for 1 ! A deal you can't refuse.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:

There are a few things you would need to know about Lombardi with the Leafs last season:

1. Everyone knows that he missed a whole year before coming back with Toronto. But what gets forgotten is that he had almost no healthy off season time to train before last season started. He was only cleared for 20 min workouts around August 30~ish, and played the last (and his only) preseason game on October 1st. Thats a month to get into game shape! So his rough season had alot to do with that, it's not just a convenient excuse.
source

2. Lombardi struggled most with finding a consistant spot in the lineup. When Connolly was healthy the Leafs had 3 centers he had to compete with; the guy who meshed on the top line (Bozak), the guy Toronto thinks is worth 5.5 million (Grabo), and the center they just signed in the offseason for almost 5 million and was the consolation prize after B.Richards (Connolly). It was highly unlikley that he would get much playing time in the middle on a team that wanted these three to succeed so badly. So he played alot of wing, which didn't play to his strengths, and landed him on the fourth line many times. It was not his fault that he was redundant in the lineup, and would do much better to have a consistant spot on any team next year.

3. Taking the Lombardi contract was the price of dumping Bret Lebda and getting Cody Franson. From the perspective of a Leafs fan, trading Lombardi for nothing means that Lebda was traded for Franson. And that would be a huge win! So this is a large reason fans will offer him for a "bag of pucks". It's not that that is his real value, but it is worth removing his name from the ledger to make an old trade feel even better.

4. Not to mention, as has been said, that we could use the roster spot on guys like Kadri, and the money on bigger needs.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
abhanot

A 4th and a 7th round pick should do the trick. We'll give up Komisarek for a shooting target goalie!!!!

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

What's Lombardi's cap hit? I saw earlier that it's for one year.

Also, what's the consensus on his play style?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Avec Fromage*

I view Lombardi as being in the same situation Lupul was in a few years ago, coming off a serious injury, with no off-season to train and no training camp to learn a new system. I really believe next season will be a bounce back year for Lombardi; not saying he'll be PPG like Lupul, but if he plays a full season, I assume he can get around 15-20G/20-30A.

If the Leafs weren't set on getting bigger this year, I wouldn't mind seeing how he'd do next season. But as of right now, I'd gauge his value at a 3rd-4th rounder.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:33 AM
wynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

$3.5M

Can't believe the asking price because someone showed interest in him, he's not worth a high pick. He's decent, but I'd see his spot opened up for a Marlie graduate next season.

He has the speed, but sticks to the outside. I think he'd be a good 3rd liner for WSH. A mid-late round draft pick would be more than enough.

wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quality 1Cs and 2Cs are next to impossible to find on the free agent market. Quality 3Cs are not. If the desire is to move Laich back to 2LW and get a new 3C, that can be accomplished easily in free agency. McClement, Stoll, Kelly, Gaustad, Moore, and Pahlsson are all UFAs this summer. No reason to give up assets to bring in Lombardi. At $3.5M for Lombardi, you likely wouldn't even save any cash.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

I'd move him for a 3rd.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Pi

He wouldn't cost much, but if you're hoping Lombardi plays #2C the Caps are going to have a hard time.

He's got the speed but he doesn't use it to drive to the net. He is a good third line guy at best now.

Maybe he can get back to playing like he was with the Yotes..

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:55 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Quality 1Cs and 2Cs are next to impossible to find on the free agent market. Quality 3Cs are not. If the desire is to move Laich back to 2LW and get a new 3C, that can be accomplished easily in free agency. McClement, Stoll, Kelly, Gaustad, Moore, and Pahlsson are all UFAs this summer. No reason to give up assets to bring in Lombardi. At $3.5M for Lombardi, you likely wouldn't even save any cash.
None of those guys have the speed I'd want for that line, although I do really like McClement.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
NeilYoung

He sucks god no

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

As a Flames fan I can speak to his style of play.

He has excellent speed, is solid defensively and a decent penalty killer. He is not physical in the slightest and has suffered 2 very serious concussions. His shot is nothing to write home about and his passing is pretty average. He will generate alot of chances because of his speed and will get a bunch of breakaways, almost none of which will turn into goals as his 2 moves are 1) shoot at the logo or 2)drive wide then cut across the front of the net and push the puck into the goalies pads. Lombardi is the classic example of a player who's hands can't catch up to his feet.

IMO he is very similar to Matt Stajan, but faster and not as good on faceoffs.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote