HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Defensemen gear (Shoulder pads etc)

Old
05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Defensemen gear (Shoulder pads etc)

I am 16 years old 5'8" 190 looking to play defense. What shoulder pads would offer good protection for defense (That aren't 90 dollars) and what sticks are also good for defensemen (Intermediate sticks)

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
AIREAYE

Shoulders : whatever fits well in your price range, which you haven't actually specified
Sticks : whatever feels right and is in your price range with your curve, neither of which you have specified so I don't know how any of us can help you...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:01 PM
hlaverty06

Well some shoulder pads don't offer much protection and others offer a lot for blocking shots.

For sticks curve doesn't matter to me I want one with enough flex for a D-man

Old
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
AIREAYE

Again, are you looking for high end pads or mid end? High end sticks? Mid?

Help us help you...

Old
05-15-2012, 09:36 PM
hlaverty06

Mid for both

Old
05-15-2012, 09:55 PM
AIREAYE

If you're playing contact, I would take a good look at the CCM Fit 09 shoulders. They hug the body nicely and the low profile shoulder cap setup is excellent for receiving and dishing hits. Should be on clearance everywhere. The Easton EQ30 are also good value pads though the shoulder caps are absolutely solid. Take a look at those if you aren't playing contact. Try to find some old Warrior Projekt shoulder pads or the current Bonafides. Softer foams throughout but same level of protection, just different feel.

In terms of sticks, find some clearance models in 75-77 flex and cut them down to your height so they will be a bit stiffer. Otherwise go for an 85-87 if you prefer.

Next time, tell us this, otherwise you're just saying you want new shoulders and a stick...

Old
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check out the guides stickied at the top of the forum.

For shoulders, great advice already, but when you try them on, make sure it covers your torso and back pretty well. Bring your pants and try on with them and try to avoid gaps. Wear suspenders with the pants if you have to. Slappers to the belly suck.

For the stick, if you use it longer (taller than your nose), you might want a senior whip flex (77 or less). If you use it shorter (under your nose), you might want an intermediate.

Pretty much any stick is solid over $100 but the best deals are clearance models from the year before.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
hlaverty06

Thank you both very much!

Old
05-16-2012, 07:15 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

I second AIREAYE's comment about the Warrrior Bonafide shoulders ... been using them for couple months only but they are great fitting and protective without feeling heavy or huge. I play D most of the time.

Having said that ... I checked out the CCM U+ CL shoulders today at the LHS ... gotta say they look and feel pretty awesome. Weighs nothing compared to my Bonafides, and I thought they were pretty light (not the lightest but on the lighter side).

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
AIREAYE

The 85S is a bit out of your price range because it's new but check out the S13s too for non-contact. The CLs are more than double what he is willing to pay, so let's rule that one out.

See if you can find some X:40s and One75s on sale as well.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Brunomics

Sherwood 5030's

/thread

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Sherwood 5030's

/thread
No, you're not helping.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
No, you're not helping.
You don't need body armor like what they provide out there anymore. I've played with those or similiar shoulder pads throughout my contact hockey years. I find that the only thing the bulkier shoulder pads offer is peace of mind. More often than not they are more annoying and it feels like they hinder your movement somewhat.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
AIREAYE

Try telling that to a younger kid beginning to learn contact and try telling that to their parents, especially with everyone else wearing body armour, you don't want to be the one caught with a shoulder to your sternum from one of those.

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. Having the /thread doesn't help your case.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
You don't need body armor like what they provide out there anymore. I've played with those or similiar shoulder pads throughout my contact hockey years. I find that the only thing the bulkier shoulder pads offer is peace of mind. More often than not they are more annoying and it feels like they hinder your movement somewhat.
If the guy specifically says he's looking for "good protection", naming the pads that offer probably the least protection on the market and then proclaiming the thread over is a little ridiculous.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
If the guy specifically says he's looking for "good protection", naming the pads that offer probably the least protection on the market and then proclaiming the thread over is a little ridiculous.
yea the thread over thing was over the top. But honestly I think they offer good protection. All that body armor that is out now really is overkill. There is no need for it. If your a kid your not getting in the way of the type of shots that would even require you to use such a pair. All they do in the end is make things more uncomfortable instead of having range of motion and the freedom in a much lighter pair.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:32 AM
AIREAYE

There is an argument for the 5030 being a good shoulder pad, I'll give you that. However let it be clear that they are not good protection.

This discussion does not belong in this thread though, so I'll be the first to drop it. Let's get back on topic guys

Old
05-17-2012, 10:35 AM
donkers*

My cousin plays defense for his travel team (16 year olds). I talked him into getting 5030's and he's worn them for 2 seasons now. All the top end stuff touting "great mobility" still doesn't compare to the free flow of classic styled pads. He did add a little extra back protection but that's real easy to do.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:37 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
yea the thread over thing was over the top. But honestly I think they offer good protection. All that body armor that is out now really is overkill. There is no need for it. If your a kid your not getting in the way of the type of shots that would even require you to use such a pair. All they do in the end is make things more uncomfortable instead of having range of motion and the freedom in a much lighter pair.
There's really just so many unfounded assumptions here. You're trying to shoehorn the 5030s into this dude's question. The 5030s are great for lots of players, but I certainly wouldn't call them above average protection.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would not put my 16 year old in 5030's. They are not the best option out there for contact hockey, especially on defense.

If you are complaining about the mobility of modern shoulder pads, you have not tried on the pads made in the past few years.

The low to mid level Reeboks and Eastons have excellent coverage, low pro caps, and are not bulky or restrictive. Not a big fan of Bauer or Warrior personally. Haven't seen the new CCM's.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's getting off topic. If you want to discuss that, check out this thread.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would not put my 16 year old in 5030's. They are not the best option out there for contact hockey, especially on defense.

If you are complaining about the mobility of modern shoulder pads, you have not tried on the pads made in the past few years.

The low to mid level Reeboks and Eastons have excellent coverage, low pro caps, and are not bulky or restrictive. Not a big fan of Bauer or Warrior personally. Haven't seen the new CCM's.
I like my Bauer shouldies, but I had to take off just about every piece of optional padding. The bicep guards in particular are annoying.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

True. Even my 9950's I just picked up have annoying bicep guards, which is why I had to go down in size (they were getting hung up when winding up). My 4k's are no problem because they are adjustable.