HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "I Guess I've Got To Do It" Edition: Game 2: Rangers vs. Devils

Old
05-17-2012, 10:50 AM
ncmike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
Bench Bickel. Play Eminger. If Torts doesn't...he's just a stubborn mule.

Kreider, Girardi, McD, Stepan all looked great tonight. Staal was ok. The rest...meh.

Also, WTF was with the constant whiffing on the puck? I counted 4 whiffed passes....2 in the Rangers zone.
It was more then 4. I think Girardi had 4 all by himself

ncmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Get Eminger in and tell the forwards to bathe in Tiger Balm for the next 2 days.

They need to come out strong at the Pebble, get the Rangers contingent there pumping.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Unfortunately that's exactly why he was alone in front. Elias set a blatant pick on Girardi trying to cut over. I could see it clear as day from sec 423. Wonder how the refs missed it.
I called it as soon as it happened as well, I was shocked the announcers didn't mention it at all.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The whole concept with forecheck is to not allow the breakout. Flipping to center is a turnover prescription. The nice transition comes from boards, that is why they're jamming there.
Look, no one is changing the tactic, it works. Everything comes to execution. They executed better last nite or in plan English simply outplayed us or even simplier kicked our behind. Whatever your preference...
You are trying to turn over the puck. The key is to turn it over at center, or behind center, instead of in your own zone, which is what happens when you try to send a puck through 2 opposition players on the boards. The Rangers D has been sending the puck around the boards and setting up the Devils D for shots better than the Devils forwards have. Girardi alone must have done this a dozen times the first two games. It happened on almost every goal/scoring opportunity.

Moving the puck through center can be dangerous if it is too slow or along the ice, but its only dangerous if there is someone there to block it. There are huge gaps in the ice, the Rangers need to put the puck there.

Keep in mind I am only talking about "clearing" not as a standard breakout.

And the Devils mediocre D handling a bouncing puck at center with a charging Kreider is a scenario that appeals to me.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:04 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
I called it as soon as it happened as well, I was shocked the announcers didn't mention it at all.
Elias did it two times after that, too.

It's been happening all playoffs, every ****ing team does it except us. We probably should.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:16 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: May 17, 2012 9:55a

RT @eduhatschek Question to PHWA colleagues: Anyone consider a boycott of JTortorella presser? Just walk out en masse when he goes to podium

sent via UberSocial for BlackBerry
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/st...21500730048512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
What an idiot. That would probably be Torts' dream
Hahaha. Yeah..I am sure he would be upset if that happened.

blue425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
This is Torts we're talking about. He won't. We'll plug away at doing the same old same old in hopes that we'll somehow be able to overcome their forecheck, but don't expect Torts to concoct some sort of gameplan to do it. The blind wall passes will continue, and so will every other team game-planning by putting their D-men hugging the wall at the blue line.
I agree. Torts will keep doing the same old stuff that got us the Eastern Conference Championship and to 1-1 in the Eastern Conference Finals. If he can't figure something out soon and the Rangers don't win the next 7 games in a row to win the Cup, Torts and the whole coaching staff should be fired and John Muckler should be brought back to coach the team.

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Hahaha. Yeah..I am sure he would be upset if that happened.
haha yeah i'm pretty sure he wants that to happen actually.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
jmb9191

3 two on and ones so far...0 for 3.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Something has to be wrong with Callahan, he just usually isn't this passive and off his game.

In general the Rangers just have to pick up their focus. I keep coming back to this, but again, the Devils forecheck is allowed to keep going because of how many times the Rangers turn the puck over along the boards at the top of the circles and near the blue line. They make a lot of bad passes to their teammates who are standing at the blue line, they hestitate to get it out and have the puck stolen, etc. They have to get better at that area of the ice because that's what's absolutely killing them defensively right now.

Really, if they fixed that, it would help just about every other area that is struggling. They'd have more offensive zone time, the defense would get more rest and not end up out of position on goals like they were last night, etc.

Devils have a fantastic forecheck and the Rangers need to do a better job getting the puck out of the zone when they have it in a position to do so. Just absolutely cannot afford to keep turning the puck over at their blue line
100% guarantee he has a hand injury from the Ottawa seies that is bothering him. He still leads the NHL in playoff hits but his play with the puck most of the time has been atrocious. Remember his goal in Buffalo during the season and the OT goal against Buffalo at the Garden? He can barely shoot or stick handle now.

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
jmb9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOD View Post
100% guarantee he has a hand injury from the Ottawa seies that is bothering him. He still leads the NHL in playoff hits but his play with the puck most of the time has been atrocious. Remember his goal in Buffalo during the season and the OT goal against Buffalo at the Garden? He can barely shoot or stick handle now.
It was from game 3 against Washington (his last tally) later in the game he blocked one with his hand. He's hurt.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOD View Post
This

His hand is messed up.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:51 AM
2 Line Pass

Is anyone else tired of Tortorella's act? The guy is honestly an egomaniac. We saw his stubborn coaching almost cost the team the Washington series when he benched one of our best offensive threats, and the guy who saved the Ottawa series, in Chris Kreider. His need to pout out his chest and make sure the rookie knew his place helped bring the rangers to a game away from a first round exit.

Then we see him at it again last night in a one goal third period. I don't care if Gaborik skated the wrong way, dangled Del Zotto, and then beat Lundqvist for an own goal, how can you bench the guy for the first half of the third period? He is a professional athlete and I think that benching him one or two shifts would have sufficed. But not for Tortorella, he has to show that he's the big cheese and he's in charge.

That's what gets me. His punishments seem beyond excessive. Proving a point to Torts is almost more important than the game itself, and yeah it has gotten his team to the ECF, but we might have also gotten here much easier if not these type of coaching methods. Its difficult to say benching Gaborik was a deciding factor in the game, but it certainly did nothing to help our chances in my opinion. A winger who has the offensive capability of Gaborik has to get a regular shift in a close third period of a pivotal game 2.

Then I don't know if Bickel has to perform some sort of ritualistic sacrifice to earn Torts trust or what, but if you're not going to play him can you try playing Eminger again? Rolling these 5 defensemen is unnecessarily taxing when we have an untried option sitting in the press box and a guy in Bickel who could do a serviceable job, especially at home with the last change.

Then is he series with the postgame antics? For a guy who preaches accountability how can he go out after a loss and act like that in front of the media. It's beyond hypocritical. What does he expect them to ask him, "Hey coach, what kind of sauce do you like on your pasta?" I mean this is their job and it is part of yours as well, so if you can't respect that then do not even bother coming out because what your doing right now is embarrassing to watch.

With all this said hopefully the team comes out and wins/allows less than 3 goals on Saturday. Despite the loss the Rangers are in a good position in these playoffs where home ice has not meant much so far.

2 Line Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
3 two on and ones so far...0 for 3.
yup.....the Kreider one was the best chance. He "almost" had Marty. Thought that he could pot that one. Oh well......thats how it goes right? Can't get them all

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Line Pass View Post
Is anyone else tired of Tortorella's act? The guy is honestly an egomaniac. We saw his stubborn coaching almost cost the team the Washington series when he benched one of our best offensive threats, and the guy who saved the Ottawa series, in Chris Kreider. His need to pout out his chest and make sure the rookie knew his place helped bring the rangers to a game away from a first round exit.

Then we see him at it again last night in a one goal third period. I don't care if Gaborik skated the wrong way, dangled Del Zotto, and then beat Lundqvist for an own goal, how can you bench the guy for the first half of the third period? He is a professional athlete and I think that benching him one or two shifts would have sufficed. But not for Tortorella, he has to show that he's the big cheese and he's in charge.

That's what gets me. His punishments seem beyond excessive. Proving a point to Torts is almost more important than the game itself, and yeah it has gotten his team to the ECF, but we might have also gotten here much easier if not these type of coaching methods. Its difficult to say benching Gaborik was a deciding factor in the game, but it certainly did nothing to help our chances in my opinion. A winger who has the offensive capability of Gaborik has to get a regular shift in a close third period of a pivotal game 2.

Then I don't know if Bickel has to perform some sort of ritualistic sacrifice to earn Torts trust or what, but if you're not going to play him can you try playing Eminger again? Rolling these 5 defensemen is unnecessarily taxing when we have an untried option sitting in the press box and a guy in Bickel who could do a serviceable job, especially at home with the last change.

Then is he series with the postgame antics? For a guy who preaches accountability how can he go out after a loss and act like that in front of the media. It's beyond hypocritical. What does he expect them to ask him, "Hey coach, what kind of sauce do you like on your pasta?" I mean this is their job and it is part of yours as well, so if you can't respect that then do not even bother coming out because what your doing right now is embarrassing to watch.

With all this said hopefully the team comes out and wins/allows less than 3 goals on Saturday. Despite the loss the Rangers are in a good position in these playoffs where home ice has not meant much so far.
He's been pushing the right buttons all season.

He has a team that was not expected to be this good, in the ECF.

Whatever he's doing is working.

The only people that are bothered by his post season (he is not this bad during the regular season) pressers are media types and hating opposing fans.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Line Pass View Post

Torts undoubtably should be questioned in some of the moves and decisions he's made. It is like he's too stubborn and believes that if the Rangers play "their game" and "stay the course" for a 7 game series.....he's confident that they'll win 4 before the other team. So no real need for any changes, including his coaching methods. So far in the first 2 rounds, he's been right. We might also even take this series the same way (I feel we will anyways).

But it is these decisions that can either prolong or end a series quicker. Daryl Sutter is pushing ALL THE RIGHT buttons out in LA right now. Of course they are winning, and winning handily. But he's got his team ready from the drop of the puck to the last tick. And they are steamrolling. Torts is content on rolling the same checking line in the 3rd dor their normal shift whilst down a goal. I would be double shifting Richards, Kreider, Hagelin, etc and get them more ice time to see if we can equalize it. The Bickel thing i have no clue about.

Ihope we come out and play a full 60 on Saturday. It is damn frustrating watching this team and the roller coaster ride they put you through

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
McMonster

I **** my pants every time Bickel steps on the ice. Eminger should 100% be playing instead.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
toastbag

What worries me is that the Rangers have been outplayed in 4 of the 6 periods so far, and you could make a real good case that it's even been 5 of the 6 periods. I know Tortorella seems to think you shouldn't be tired at this point in the year but when you have played two seven game series, not to mention a 3OT game in there, it's gonna catch up with you sooner or later. I just hope the extra day off before game 3 helps the Rangers.

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Eminger hasn't played much in a while though. Can we really be comfortable just throwing him into a conference finals match?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts conference call

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/0...erence-call-2/

Transcript

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-in-off-day-co

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:42 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Eminger hasn't played much in a while though. Can we really be comfortable just throwing him into a conference finals match?
That's my question. I'd rather have Bickel than a guy who's played 4:25 since March 15.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastbag View Post
What worries me is that the Rangers have been outplayed in 4 of the 6 periods so far, and you could make a real good case that it's even been 5 of the 6 periods. I know Tortorella seems to think you shouldn't be tired at this point in the year but when you have played two seven game series, not to mention a 3OT game in there, it's gonna catch up with you sooner or later. I just hope the extra day off before game 3 helps the Rangers.
They've been significantly outplayed in 3 periods, 2 were ties (1st period of game 1 and 2nd period of game 2), and 1 we significantly outplayed them. That said we need to be a lot better. Yesterday's score flatters us.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The Rangers are a lot more resilient a team mentally and physically than our HFboards community, thats for sure.

I'm sure they won't be packing it in on account of losing this game. They won't be saying "Well a real cup team wouldn't deserve to win after this loss. Moreover, we've won the last 2 series starting off the exact same way.
A 120 year old man has more toughness and resilience than some here.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
A 120 year old man has more toughness and resilience than some here.
I gotta say it... if you live to be 120, I'm guessing you have a **** ton of resilience and toughness

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Cmox

Tough one but I still think The Caps and Sens where tougher opponents with better goal tending. Just have to have more players playing it their all. 3 players doing everything ain't going to cut it.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote