HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wearing Chest/Shoulder Protection

Old
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
donkers*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would not put my 16 year old in 5030's. They are not the best option out there for contact hockey, especially on defense.

If you are complaining about the mobility of modern shoulder pads, you have not tried on the pads made in the past few years.

The low to mid level Reeboks and Eastons have excellent coverage, low pro caps, and are not bulky or restrictive. Not a big fan of Bauer or Warrior personally. Haven't seen the new CCM's.
I have. There's a reason plenty of pros still opt for the 5030's despite having access to the top of the line gear for free. Please tell me, how far removed are you from playing contact hockey?

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Almost 20 years. Only played a couple years of contact though. We were all wearing football type pads with the plastic caps. Not covered caps, literally plastic caps that snapped on (remember snaps?).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AIREAYE

How many minor hockey players playing contact hockey do you see nowadays with 5030s? Not very many.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It goes back to the wood stick argument. It's a personal decision. Those who grew up with them often prefer them. Those who grew up with composite prefer that. Those who strapped magazines to their shins don't often care for the latest and greatest shin slings and what not.

I don't buy the argument that 5030's are just as protective as your high end pads. There's no way 1/4" of single density foam can compete with poly inserts and dual density.

Now is the $150 shoulder pad going to reduce shoulder injuries? Probably not much, if at all. They don't protect the joint, which is where the injuries tend to happen. Kind of like how shin pads won't prevent ligament tears and pants won't prevent groin/hip injuries.

But it certainly will take the sting out of pucks and sticks, which you're going to get a lot of at that age, especially as a defenseman.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
How many minor hockey players playing contact hockey do you see nowadays with 5030s? Not very many.
I attribute that to the fact that kids these days have rich parents and they want top of the line stuff. Not $30 pads. It's a dick measuring contest in the locker rooms.

I played college club up until 2 years ago and I wish I had went with the 5030's instead of the restrictive Reebok 9k's which at the time I felt like were the least restrictive pads available.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The old blue and white 9k's? Those are close to Jofa's, which are pretty common in the NHL. And yeah I didn't like Jofa shoulders at all. They're pretty different than the KFS line of Reebok.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
donkers*

Quote:
It goes back to the wood stick argument. It's a personal decision. Those who grew up with them often prefer them. Those who grew up with composite prefer that. Those who strapped magazines to their shins don't often care for the latest and greatest shin slings and what not.

I don't buy the argument that 5030's are just as protective as your high end pads. There's no way 1/4" of single density foam can compete with poly inserts and dual density.

Now is the $150 shoulder pad going to reduce shoulder injuries? Probably not much, if at all. They don't protect the joint, which is where the injuries tend to happen. Kind of like how shin pads won't prevent ligament tears and pants won't prevent groin/hip injuries.

But it certainly will take the sting out of pucks and sticks, which you're going to get a lot of at that age, especially as a defenseman.
Who's trying to say that? I'm saying consider the mobility before protection. If you're worried about being cross checked in the back modify your pads for a little extra protection in the back while preserving that mobility. I just think the current pads right now have too much protection in the wrong places.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
donkers*

Quote:
The old blue and white 9k's? Those are close to Jofa's, which are pretty common in the NHL. And yeah I didn't like Jofa shoulders at all. They're pretty different than the KFS line of Reebok.
No, I had the kinetic ones.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Why modify when you can get perfectly fine pads off the shelf?

Old
05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
donkers*

Because $30 plus a $10 worth of plastic to customize the pads to fit you is a lot better than paying $100+ for something off the shelf that isn't going to satisfy you 100%. Every shoulder pad I've bought I've had to modify somewhat to fit me the way I want it to. The 5030's are great mod platforms.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, we've established that you don't like anything other than 5030's. That doesn't negate the entire need for a product line above them.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
donkers*

Just because there are $150 shoulder pads doesn't negate the need for a product below them.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My shoulders cost $60.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:10 PM
donkers*

I am positive the chances of you getting hurt in them are the same as me in my $30 ones. The only difference is I can move around in mine more freely.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
Just because there are $150 shoulder pads doesn't negate the need for a product below them.

Obviously there's a market segment for the 5030s and other minimal pads. That doesn't mean everyone should or has to have them. You like them, we get it. People are free to like other things.

Quote:
I am positive the chances of you getting hurt in them are the same as me in my $30 ones. The only difference is I can move around in mine more freely.
Well now this is just ridiculous. How can you possibly say that 5030s offer just as much protection as say, One80s or Fit 09s?

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I owned the 5030's for two years, just bought 9950's, and have used my 4k's for 1.5 years. I can definitely say there's no difference in mobility. There is definitely a difference in terms of impact reduction from pucks and sticks.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
donkers*

Quote:
I owned the 5030's for two years, just bought 9950's, and have used my 4k's for 1.5 years. I can definitely say there's no difference in mobility. There is definitely a difference in terms of impact reduction from pucks and sticks.
All right, I'll admit I was speaking out of my ass with the last post but there is no way your 4k is just as mobile as the 5030. I played with the 9k's for 2 years and going down to the 5030 was like letting my upper body free. I'll deal with a few bruises if it means I can play as if I'm wearing nothing.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It really is, trust me.

The 4k doesn't have that extra padding below the ribcage like the 9k does, but the sternum and ribcage sections are segmented and floating, so you can twist and move freely. Also the bicep adjuster (which I put all the way up to keep it out of the way) binds less than 5030/9950 pads.

Most importantly, the 4k doesn't slide up or down or move around while playing, which nearly every shoulder pad I've used except the 5030/9950 did. When I would twist my upper body, the shoulder pad would twist off kilter and ride up. Going down to take a faceoff, and the shoulder pad would ride way up and hit my neck.

So with the 4k, I don't feel it restrict my movement in any way. Literally. There's no difference in mobility compared to the 5030/9950, except like I said the 4k is slightly better with the adjustable biceps (again I sized down on the 9950 to compensate).

I will grant the 5030/9950 is a little lighter and traps less heat. That's partially why I bought it (again). It's a really great shoulder pad for what it is, rec play, pickup, summer league, etc. I wouldn't waste $40 if it wasn't!

I'll also grant that, with some additional padding, it could work for any level. And I'd agree shoulder caps nowadays are too big and way too hard for safety. Giant shoulder caps don't protect the shoulder much more, but they do add a lot more pain to guys receiving hits. The additional protection should be on the chest, spine, back, ribs, and waist. Kind of like Down Low shoulder pads.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's just about getting used to them imo... I wear full gear because I always have worn full gear and I don't even notice I'm wearing anything when I play. I understand someone not wearing any shoulder pads trying to put some on and play but you'll get used to them in time

The same for me. I wear them because I've always worn them. Being new to hockey most of the people I'm on the ice with aren't great skaters, there are usually 1-2 really nice accidental collisions/errant sticks/errant pucks during a stick time, drop-in, etc.

No interest in taking a hard fall, or puck, or stick without all the typical pads. Hockey is something I do on the side to get some great exercise and have a lot of fun, but at the end of the day it is a pass time/hobby. Wife, kids, job, mortgage, etc. are all more important.

I do see guys that don't wear shoulder pads from time to time, but they are usually much more experienced. In the league (no checking) at my local rink you have to wear full pads and full cage regardless of level.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Stickmata

If you really want mobility, but don't want the joke protection of the 5030s, you can buy any number of mid range shoulder pads that are designed in a way that allow you to remove just the hard shoulder caps without reducing the function of the overall pads. It improves mobility a lot and you still get solid chest, back and upper arm protection. I've done this to a pair of UPros and Vapor X60s and they both offer great mobility.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
r3cc0s

you know... to be perfectly honest 5030/9950's are sufficient for most minor hockey players

I think when you step into midget AA -> JRB+ that's where you really need to start ramping up the protection due to the expectations shot blocking and mostly the speed of the game

The difference between Midget A to Midget AA or AAA or Jr C to Jr B is HUGE, and having sufficient protection at that level is important... Its going to an enviornment where everybody really can skate, close space quickly and suppliment their game with off-ice weight lifting/dryland training

now, for shinny hockey or low level non-contact (or non-aggressive non-contact) I don't think that shoulder pads are required at all

for non-contact high-level hockey where again, its speedier, and there is more incidental (including between your own players and you). More especially in a level where the ref's let proper body play (everything but actual full out hitting) you'll need something like the 5030's and most I know do

now this is my perspective, but I still think its silly when people who can barely skate, who play with people who can barely skate, rock the most top-end SP's, pants and elbows when they won't ever come close to the velocity it would take to actually use that protection

that being said, the new U+CL is kinda what I've been preaching about... its a modern yet minimalist pad, made of modern foam protection that weights next to nothing and doesn't absorb sweat
It doesn't have that ridiculious excess bulk that Warrior pads or previous gen (ONE95) pads did

as an FYI - I know 4 pro's who play in Sweden, Germany and Norway who use 5030's as is or with custom caps
most I know prefer the biecept protectors, and just have an additional padded cap placed on top

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:49 PM
donkers*

There are plenty of pros in the NHL who wear them too. Like I said, they're excellent mod platforms for frankenpads. You just add extra protection where you need it.

While we're on the subject of shoulder pads. Can anyone identify these Warriors?

Old
05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
There are plenty of pros in the NHL who wear them too. Like I said, they're excellent mod platforms for frankenpads. You just add extra protection where you need it.

While we're on the subject of shoulder pads. Can anyone identify these Warriors?

alot of people wear the combo of the new bauer padded shirt/5030

looks like possibly a different cap sewn onto a 5030... I think alot of forwards do that

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:03 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
alot of people wear the combo of the new bauer padded shirt/5030

looks like possibly a different cap sewn onto a 5030... I think alot of forwards do that
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I was kind of hoping Warrior was jumping on the Sherwood/Bauer/Winnwell bandwagon and coming out with class styled pads.

If NHL players can get away with 5030's I think it can be a legitimate suggestion for minor level hockey players.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
Mostly always. Same thing with a half shield vs. cage. I will practice/open without shoulders sometimes and using one of my helmets with a half shield or no shield, but in games or team practice, always wear shoulders and cage. I look at it this way: I'm a grown adult, I run my own business, I enjoy my teeth and my body, and above all I PAY to play, not the other way around. So I like to go home afterwards rather than a trip to the ER.

Just my $0.02
Word. I'm the same way except that I don't run my own business :p. I like being well protected. Knew a guy that lost a couple teeth at a damn drop-in, no joke. Some dingbat was talking about it later and said "well, teeth are only $1000 to replace or so and insurance will cover most of it." Yeah... that or you could just wear a ****ing cage and not have to worry about it at all. You never know what can happen. What some people do in the name of "being tough" is just stupid. Overcompensating.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote