Old
05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

vCash: 500
ESPN 30 for 30 pt 2

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...entary-series/

ESPN’s faith in sports documentaries is so deep that on Tuesday it will announce a second go-round for its “30 for 30” series, which made its debut in the fall of 2009

There are new dimensions to the series, which will return this fall and span two years. The documentaries are being integrated with Grantland.com, the ESPN sports-culture journalism Web site whose editor in chief is Bill Simmons, the popular ESPN columnist and podcaster. Mr. Simmons prodded ESPN to produce “30 for 30,” and is an executive producer.

As the films roll out, they will be augmented on Grantland by podcasts, feature stories and oral histories. A short digital film — which will be unrelated to the longer ones — will make its debut each month on Grantland.

05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
And I'd be willing to bet that a grand total of 0 out of those documentaries will be about hockey, in typical ESPN fashion.

It'd be a shame though, as I really liked Kings Ransom from the old series.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
CycloneLaunch

Good news. 30 for 30 awesome. Enjoyed pretty much everyone I saw, even sports I didn't care for.

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
And I'd be willing to bet that a grand total of 0 out of those documentaries will be about hockey, in typical ESPN fashion.

It'd be a shame though, as I really liked Kings Ransom from the old series.
It's too bad that Kings Ransom had to be the first one of the original run. It went head to head against an unscheduled AL play in game between Minnesota/Detroit.

Finally caught "The Dotted Line" during this past weekend. The scenes during the NFL Draft portion were a little uncomfortable. Makes you wonder how many borderline NFL prospects have their families/friends over to watch the entire draft only to never hear their names called.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

^Made me think of the Simpsons episode when Homer becomes the voice for Poochie and the whole town is there to watch it and it is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Good news. 30 for 30 awesome. Enjoyed pretty much everyone I saw, even sports I didn't care for.
Agreed. I still unfortunately haven't seen them all but they used to be On Demand here and if not hey, it's the internet, I can find them, so that'll be what I catch up on this summer. Trying to hold off on watching King's Ransom til I read the book "Gretzky's Tears" though.

As for upcoming, look good. "Broke" one sounds really interesting. While I already know many reasons why athletes go broke even though they had so much, I can only imagine. Hearing the real stories probably makes it all the more incredible. I also know someone who will slobber over the Bo one

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Rhaego

When will they announce them? I love this series.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
As the films roll out, they will be augmented on Grantland by podcasts, feature stories and oral histories. A short digital film — which will be unrelated to the longer ones — will make its debut each month on Grantland.
Having a handful of shorter ones (ie, the Pete Rose one that was released today) isn't a bad idea, although I'm not sure how that would differentiate from an E:60 piece. I was excited for the documentary about the origins of Rotissere League baseball, but that one dragged and I found it to be rather dull.

The documentaries I liked the most were from the late 80s/early 90s which coincided with my youth. The other factor would be that the media wasn't nearly as all encompassing back then.

I saw on another board that somebody wanted a documentary tying in the Saints/Katrina/bounties which really felt: A) Too fresh B) already covered ad nauseum by ESPN.

For hockey, how about an hour on Eric Lindros? Very polarizing figure to this day, but most people remember him because of concussions and what he did off the ice. When he retired a couple years back, ESPN Classic showed an episode of SportsCentury featuring Lindros. But it was done in 2001, so he was still kinda reviled after sitting out a season and forcing a trade.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:30 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I agree, NOs is just too much right now and I don't think you'd get the whole story on the bounties right now since not everyone will speak up. Obviously you don't need everyone's participation, but too many right now will keep quiet because of the repercussions.

Speaking of, while it would be neat to talk about Lindros' concussion issues, would he & Clarke want to talk about everything that happened both on and off the ice?

As for other hockey stories no clue. I mean I could probably name some but would ESPN find them interestingly enough?

Old
05-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I agree, NOs is just too much right now and I don't think you'd get the whole story on the bounties right now since not everyone will speak up. Obviously you don't need everyone's participation, but too many right now will keep quiet because of the repercussions.

Speaking of, while it would be neat to talk about Lindros' concussion issues, would he & Clarke want to talk about everything that happened both on and off the ice?

As for other hockey stories no clue. I mean I could probably name some but would ESPN find them interestingly enough?
The story of Alan Eagleson is something that ESPN should do

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
For hockey, they have to go through the lockout. I need to remember parts of that whole year. The 8 months of my life between November and July I have almost no recollection of whatsoever.

NBC beat them to the Summit Series

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:50 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Eagleson would be nice as even though I've read about it, I'm still often confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
For hockey, they have to go through the lockout. I need to remember parts of that whole year. The 8 months of my life between November and July I have almost no recollection of whatsoever.

NBC beat them to the Summit Series
Look at the bright side, during the lockout I had to watch Bouwmeester in the AHL.

But yeah, HBO Canada beat them to Theo Fleury with their Playing With Fire doc too

Old
05-16-2012, 06:11 AM
darko

Awesome news. Love 30 for 30.

Once were brothers and Reggie Miller v Knicks were my favorites.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Hell yeah.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Dom

Jesse Owens please.

For Hockey, i'd like to see Ted Lindsay's struggle to start the NHLPA.

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Jesse Owens please.
It seemed like they were aiming for stories in the ESPN era (1979-present), although a couple of the recent ones (that weren't in the original 30) were earlier in the 70s.

Saw somebody suggest something about the 1994 baseball strike in terms of what ifs (Matt Williams going for the home run record, Tony Gwynn going for .400, and the Expos being cut short).

Old
05-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Brodeur

Listening to Bill Simmons' podcast and he mentioned receiving some fan suggestions that he liked. Namely one about the 1987 Canada Cup which would be pretty interesting, although maybe not for a casual American audience.

He also talked about another film maker's theory about a team leaving a city and immediately becoming a contender (in reference to the Sonics leaving for Oklahoma City). There could be a tie in with the Nordiques/Avalanche there.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It seemed like they were aiming for stories in the ESPN era (1979-present), although a couple of the recent ones (that weren't in the original 30) were earlier in the 70s.

Saw somebody suggest something about the 1994 baseball strike in terms of what ifs (Matt Williams going for the home run record, Tony Gwynn going for .400, and the Expos being cut short).
It really was a special season that greed ripped away from everybody.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
I enjoyed Catching Hell. I've seen a few other episodes but not in their entirety, probably because of commercials and how sporadic they seem to be played. I guess I should check OD.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Rhaego

The Fab 5, The U, and the Pony Express were my favorites.

I could see them doing a Lebron/Cleveland thing (could be ok), maybe a Jamarcus Russel/Ryan Leaf bust episode. Any others?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Nose of Sutter

Once Brothers and The Two Escobars were my favorites.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
Once Brothers and The Two Escobars were my favorites.
the two Escobars must be about Alex and Kelvim.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:46 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

The U, Catching Hell & June 17, 1994 were my 3 favorites.

PanthersPens62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Reality Check

I'm thinking about suggesting the Bad Boys Detroit Pistons era

Not only because they were so hated but for also being a good team that was kind of forgotten.

-The Bird steal in '87
-Dantley and Johnson knocking heads in game seven, which essentially gave that game to Boston
-The phantom foul in game six of the '88 finals(also the game where Isiah rolled his ankle and was essentially out for gave seven). Which is still regarded as a bigger travesty than game six of Kings/Lakers in '02.
-Essentially ending the Celtics and Lakers era of the 80's
-Becoming one of the best defensive teams of all-time in an offensive era
-Being the last roadblock for Jordan...until the gambling(allegedly)
-Dennis Rodman before he lost his marbles
-The Isiah/Michael feud and how they've both failed miserably in management
-Chuck Daly being the coach of the original Dream Team
-Walking out on the Bulls in '91 and why it was valid(at least to most of the team and fans)

It's a homer pick and I know Simmons hates the Pistons but they have a lot of material to work with.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I'm thinking about suggesting the Bad Boys Detroit Pistons era

Not only because they were so hated but for also being a good team that was kind of forgotten.

-The Bird steal in '87
-Dantley and Johnson knocking heads in game seven, which essentially gave that game to Boston
-The phantom foul in game six of the '88 finals(also the game where Isiah rolled his ankle and was essentially out for gave seven). Which is still regarded as a bigger travesty than game six of Kings/Lakers in '02.
-Essentially ending the Celtics and Lakers era of the 80's
-Becoming one of the best defensive teams of all-time in an offensive era
-Being the last roadblock for Jordan...until the gambling(allegedly)
-Dennis Rodman before he lost his marbles
-The Isiah/Michael feud and how they've both failed miserably in management
-Chuck Daly being the coach of the original Dream Team
-Walking out on the Bulls in '91 and why it was valid(at least to most of the team and fans)

It's a homer pick and I know Simmons hates the Pistons but they have a lot of material to work with.
I'd be interested in that, and I hate the Pistons too. If I was old enough to be interested in basketball though, I'd probably like them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:57 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

30 for 30 is probably the best thing espn has ever put its name on. glad it is coming back and i'm excited for the tie-in with grantland.

"small potatoes" was great.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote