HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sergei Kostitsyn calls out Trotz and Poile

Old
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
radulov had the most points on the team and kostitsyn had the most goals
Were they the best player(s) on the ice? (I'm talking about the game after the "night out").

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Darylman

I find it very hard to believe they would both be suspended for staying out an hour past curfew because "they were hungry". Unless they were hungry for beer.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
terrible excuse not to perform.

He just made a **** load of cash in the KHL and then got the opportunity to play for the biggest prize in hockey.
that is a subjective analysis...can't know how he ranks the relative prizes in hockey...

Obviously he is being paid and needs to perform, but players have varying levels of motivation...is only natural

The same reason is always used for why Canadian Teams under perform at the WHC

Apologies if the last remark is off topic

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Juneemoon

Later on in the same interview he talked about what a good coach Barry Trotz is and how much he respects him...but that doesn't make much of a headline, does it?

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
you bench players based on their performance, not suspend them. Would have been an entirely different situation if it was handled that way.
Nevertheless, the benching/suspension became more justified after the curfew break. Would they have been suspended if they had played well? No. Cheers.

TOML

TOML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
terrible excuse not to perform. he was touted as the best player outside the NHL and brought in because he would "make them SC favourites"

He just made a **** load of cash in the KHL and then got the opportunity to play for the biggest prize in hockey. But instead he couldnt perform and thought partying was more important

I'm happy for NSH that he doesnt "owe" them anything anymore. I hope they sucker some other NHL team into trading for his rights (if he actually wants to come back next season)
This post is off base.

First of all, the Sports Illustrated article I posted (link here paints a completely different story from the "thought partying was more important" spin. They were have a late dinner. Yes they broke curfew. No they were not partying.

Second, Rads had 6 points in 8 games. Granted, only 1 of those points was a goal. I'll give you that. However, in the first series he looked just as good as he looked in his 9 regular season games. Of course, 17 total games is a terrible sample size. Especially when you consider the third point...

He was playing on a knee that doctors told him needed surgery.

I don't think 17 games on a bad knee and one late dinner is enough to start calling out anyone who looked at Radulov as the best player outside of the NHL, or anyone who thought his addition to the Preds made them a stronger team. He was and it did. The ENTIRE team lost to the Coyotes. Radulov just happened to be one of the players who looked the worst. It happens.

And he has said he would like to come back to Nashville.

Anyway, I'm rambling off topic now. Sorry

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
They weren't suspended for 2 games. The official suspension was for game 3 only, but since Nashville won, Trotz kept them out of game 4 to see if they can still win.

But, with these comments from Sergei, don't be surprised if Nashville trades both Kostitsyn brothers and Radulov.

For some reason, all 3 of them to Montreal makes sense.
Makes sense? How does it make sense if the Habs were the ones who basically gave them to Nashville first because they didn't want to deal with them anymore?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
I find it very hard to believe they would both be suspended for staying out an hour past curfew because "they were hungry". Unless they were hungry for beer.
See the link (that I have posted twice now) to the Sports Illustrated article that I posted above. SI is reputable last I checked.

And Radulov isn't known to be much of a drinker. I don't know much about AK.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
He's probably right.

I find it amusing how a lot of people complain about NHLer interviews being boring and never informative. When one of them dares say what he really thinks then he's a selfish knob.

Facts :

1. Sergei was well in his rights to think that regardless of their recent play having two of Nashvilles biggest offensive threats on the ice for its two most important games would have definitely helped.

2. Sergei was well in his rights to be honest and say what he thinks when questioned.

European hockey players usually give very good interviews to their country's medias. Probably because they know they won't burn them at the stake like our sports media do. This ''don't say anything for the good of the team'' mentality is terrible when you think about it, and the worse is many team enforce that.

Cammalleri, about his team losing all the time : ''We play like losers''

Gets traded in the middle of a game a few days later.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Nashville screwed themselves over big time. Not only did they piss off Radulov and both Koistitsyns, but now both Suter and Weber for not going far in the playoffs, yet again. That's the core of the team that they've pissed off and most of their contracts are expiring soon. Lots of trouble here

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Bruce Springsteen weighs in:

Quote:
Well if it was any other man, I'd put him straight away
But when it's your brother sometimes you look the other way

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Joey Banana

He is right. If a player breaks rules you donīt punish the team, you punish the player. Fine them, trade them in the off-season or keep them under "arrest" in a hotel for the rest of the playoffs, but this act was a self-destructive act for the Nashville Predators. My feeling is that this GM just wanted to play the ethical superior guy in front of the press.

This is the same thing as calling out your players for a bad play as a GM. I still think - if he would have really wanted to bench them - he should have just lied and said they were injured. There is no need to involve the press.

Face it, this was just a self-pleasing show of the Nashville Predators and their GM. They deserved to lose.

It makes me feel bad for Weber/Suter/Rinne that their own team prefers a positive reputation over trying to win a Stanley Cup.

Joey Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Darylman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
See the link (that I have posted twice now) to the Sports Illustrated article that I posted above. SI is reputable last I checked.

And Radulov isn't known to be much of a drinker. I don't know much about AK.
You honestly believe Trotz sat down alone with Radulov for 45 minutes to discuss the fact he went out for dinner and was an hour late for bed time?

I believe the people on twitter who saw him out partying over SI's "official" line. The fact Radulov said he was not out "as late" as people were claiming (4am) but said nothing to refute charges of partying makes it all the more likely.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I am not sure I have enough information to accurately judge if Nashville acted properly or not, but regardless, it seems certain that Nashville will be losing 3 of their most skilled forwards this offseason. I don't imagine either Kostitsyn or Radulov will be back. What a turn of events for a franchise that seemed to be on the cusp. Crazy.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
You honestly believe Trotz sat down alone with Radulov for 45 minutes to discuss the fact he went out for dinner and was an hour late for bed time?

I believe the people on twitter who saw him out partying over SI's "official" line. The fact Radulov said he was not out "as late" as people were claiming (4am) but said nothing to refute charges of partying makes it all the more likely.
You believe people on Twitter over a reputable media outlet which has a sourcing policy? Well... ok.

What is so hard to believe about a 45 minute conversation about a curfew violation? Radulov just had a terrible game, too. Do you honestly think Trotz sat down with Radulov for 45 minutes after that performance and didn't chew him about the game?

edit: oh... and they were spotted by at least one member of the media. If they were partying do you think that person holds it and lets Trotz know after the game? I mean, in a world where sensationalism sells (obviously) why wouldn't they go write about it right after the terrible Game 2?

Old
05-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I agreed with Poile's (game 3) decision, but disagreed with Trotz's (game 4) decision
Now it seems like Poile & Trotz are coming off a little Stalin-ish

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 05-17-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Tekneek

It appears that the experiment of uniting those brothers backfired. Send them both packing.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Later on in the same interview he talked about what a good coach Barry Trotz is and how much he respects him...but that doesn't make much of a headline, does it?
Its amazing how this can be read on the forum but go completely ignored. The suspensions will help those 2 grow up aswell, so in the long run it'll be good for the preds if they keep both Radulov and AK

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Way to kiss your NHL career goodbye. What organization would touch him and his brother after slandering one of the class organizations in the league?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Way to kiss your NHL career goodbye. What organization would touch him and his brother after slandering one of the class organizations in the league?
I hope the sharks! Trust me, they will easily find NHL jobs if they want them, but the whole thing may have left a sour taste in their mouth and the NHL will lose yet more talent to the KHL...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:49 PM
RogerRoeper*

I agree with him. Sitting them out was a terrible call. Especially for that second game.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Its amazing how this can be read on the forum but go completely ignored. The suspensions will help those 2 grow up aswell, so in the long run it'll be good for the preds if they keep both Radulov and AK
Who knows if the Preds will get another chance like this one though. It could be years.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
He is right. If a player breaks rules you donīt punish the team, you punish the player. Fine them, trade them in the off-season or keep them under "arrest" in a hotel for the rest of the playoffs, but this act was a self-destructive act for the Nashville Predators. My feeling is that this GM just wanted to play the ethical superior guy in front of the press.

This is the same thing as calling out your players for a bad play as a GM. I still think - if he would have really wanted to bench them - he should have just lied and said they were injured. There is no need to involve the press.

Face it, this was just a self-pleasing show of the Nashville Predators and their GM. They deserved to lose.

It makes me feel bad for Weber/Suter/Rinne that their own team prefers a positive reputation over trying to win a Stanley Cup.
This x10, why would you throw away a chance to move onto the Western Conference Finals just to satisfy your own ego. Fined or traded would've been fine...but suspension was crazy.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Very courageous of him to call out Poile and Trotz for their misdeeds. Poile and Trotz will pay dearly for this

Last edited by TMI: 05-17-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: off-topic/intention to start a dispute
Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Were they the best player(s) on the ice? (I'm talking about the game after the "night out").
1 bad game, and koistitsyn had a goal i think

um is offline   Reply With Quote