HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lombardi to Washington

Old
05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
I dont see the leafs trading lombardi. He somewhat fits a defensive style system and has good speed. Hed be a player that would bite us in the rear if we gave him away for free. Especially considering its a one year contract. Better off holding on until the deadline at the bare minimum.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
With Kuznetsov staying in Russia and Semin possibly on the way it, it looks like the Caps will need help at wing in their top 6. One way to solve this problem without spending a lot of money on the FA market is by moving Brooks Laich up as a winger and finding someone to take over his role as 3C, which is a much easier hole to fill.

Matthew Lombardi's speed (imagine a line with him and Jason Chimera) and two-way game fit perfectly for what the Caps would be looking for at the position. He's a risk because of that concussion, but there's only one year left on his contract and that also means a lower asking price.

Speaking of which, what would Leafs' fans place his value at? I'd expect a 3rd or 4th would do it, or maybe Joel Ward.
i think lambo's going to turn it around this year!!!!,that being said we could use the cap space and thus opening up a spot for 1 of the kids

IBLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
i think lambo's going to turn it around this year!!!!,that being said we could use the cap space and thus opening up a spot for 1 of the kids
It will be interesting to see if a full summer and training camp will help him turn his game around or if what we saw last year is what we'll get. Could be a good gamble for a team.

I'd still trade him though. The roster spot and cap space could be better used at this point in time.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
gabeliscious

im pretty sure lombardi could be had for cheap. his cap hit is $3.5 million for one more season.

id think a 3rd round pick would get it done, maybe even a 4th? im sure burke would be happy for the cap space and the roster spot.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
TorontoTrades

I actually don't mind Lombardi.. he's still got good speed and works hard, however him for a pick is the best deal for the leafs.. 3.5 mill cap space would be terrific.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
As a Flames fan I can speak to his style of play.

He has excellent speed, is solid defensively and a decent penalty killer. He is not physical in the slightest and has suffered 2 very serious concussions. His shot is nothing to write home about and his passing is pretty average. He will generate alot of chances because of his speed and will get a bunch of breakaways, almost none of which will turn into goals as his 2 moves are 1) shoot at the logo or 2)drive wide then cut across the front of the net and push the puck into the goalies pads. Lombardi is the classic example of a player who's hands can't catch up to his feet.

IMO he is very similar to Matt Stajan, but faster and not as good on faceoffs.
lmao, from a toronto fan, this is terribly accurate. his speed is quite amazing to watch though~

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Halpysback

Chimera Lombardi Johansson

sure why not

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:54 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

get rid of him!

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
So he's a small, wimpy Chimera who costs twice as much. It's tempting, but I think I'd let him be someone else's boom/bust. Wouldn't be able to afford his cap hit if he busts, and Hershey is already loaded up on veterans.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So he's a small, wimpy Chimera who costs twice as much. It's tempting, but I think I'd let him be someone else's boom/bust. Wouldn't be able to afford his cap hit if he busts, and Hershey is already loaded up on veterans.
well it is only one more year. caps are going to have a lot of space next year

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:15 PM
TOGuy14

Basically I'd say this, if the other team wants us to take back any salary we would want a 3rd for him.

If you will take him no questions asked? 4th will suffice.

He only has one year left on his contract so that shouldn't scare anyone off

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
There are a few things you would need to know about Lombardi with the Leafs last season:

1. Everyone knows that he missed a whole year before coming back with Toronto. But what gets forgotten is that he had almost no healthy off season time to train before last season started. He was only cleared for 20 min workouts around August 30~ish, and played the last (and his only) preseason game on October 1st. Thats a month to get into game shape! So his rough season had alot to do with that, it's not just a convenient excuse.
source

2. Lombardi struggled most with finding a consistant spot in the lineup. When Connolly was healthy the Leafs had 3 centers he had to compete with; the guy who meshed on the top line (Bozak), the guy Toronto thinks is worth 5.5 million (Grabo), and the center they just signed in the offseason for almost 5 million and was the consolation prize after B.Richards (Connolly). It was highly unlikley that he would get much playing time in the middle on a team that wanted these three to succeed so badly. So he played alot of wing, which didn't play to his strengths, and landed him on the fourth line many times. It was not his fault that he was redundant in the lineup, and would do much better to have a consistant spot on any team next year.

3. Taking the Lombardi contract was the price of dumping Bret Lebda and getting Cody Franson. From the perspective of a Leafs fan, trading Lombardi for nothing means that Lebda was traded for Franson. And that would be a huge win! So this is a large reason fans will offer him for a "bag of pucks". It's not that that is his real value, but it is worth removing his name from the ledger to make an old trade feel even better.

4. Not to mention, as has been said, that we could use the roster spot on guys like Kadri, and the money on bigger needs.
Excellent insight.

Also add that he suffered a shoulder injury during the season and people need to look no further that Alex Hemsky last season to show the affect that shoulder problems have.

I'd personally like to see the Leafs hold onto him through camping camp when we can be sure 1 or 2 of the following things don't happen: 1. The high chance that either Connolly or Armstrong start off on the LTIR 2. The high chance that one of Kadri or Frattin aren't quite ready right out of camp

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Quality 1Cs and 2Cs are next to impossible to find on the free agent market. Quality 3Cs are not. If the desire is to move Laich back to 2LW and get a new 3C, that can be accomplished easily in free agency. McClement, Stoll, Kelly, Gaustad, Moore, and Pahlsson are all UFAs this summer. No reason to give up assets to bring in Lombardi. At $3.5M for Lombardi, you likely wouldn't even save any cash.
If you just want someone who can defend, you might as well use Jay Beagle. I want someone who can provide some offense from the 3rd line, because I think our depleted top 6 is going to have a hard time carrying the load themselves. I'd also like someone with speed who can fit into our playing style. Of the guys you mentioned, Kelly, Gaustad, McClement, and Pahlsson have never broken 40 points, Moore put up 41 four years ago, and Stoll is rapidly declining. Lombardi put up 53 on a low scoring Coyotes team just two years ago, and hasn't had a full season since then. I know it's not likely he'll get back to that point total, but I think a line with him and Chimera would have to put up some points on the rush, if only through shear volume of opportunities. Let Beagle and Hendricks anchor a shutdown line while Chimmer, Lombardi, and Brouwer make up an extremely versatile 3rd line.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
The only way he can turn it around is with solid icetime. If he's constantly fighting for icetime he's likely going to have a hard time.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Give us either Samuel Carrier rights, Mattias Sjogren, Patrick Koudys rights, Danick Paquette, or a 5th round pick.

QMJHLfollower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Give us either Samuel Carrier rights, Mattias Sjogren, Patrick Koudys rights, Danick Paquette, or a 5th round pick.
5th rounder = done.

This is of course predicated on us needing the cap space. If we're already $4-$5m below the ceiling there's no point in trading him.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I don't hate Lombardi I still think he's a quality player and in the right situation he could be a 3rd line C I'd deal him for a 3rd but wouldn't mind keeping him either

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
If you just want someone who can defend, you might as well use Jay Beagle. I want someone who can provide some offense from the 3rd line, because I think our depleted top 6 is going to have a hard time carrying the load themselves. I'd also like someone with speed who can fit into our playing style. Of the guys you mentioned, Kelly, Gaustad, McClement, and Pahlsson have never broken 40 points, Moore put up 41 four years ago, and Stoll is rapidly declining. Lombardi put up 53 on a low scoring Coyotes team just two years ago, and hasn't had a full season since then. I know it's not likely he'll get back to that point total, but I think a line with him and Chimera would have to put up some points on the rush, if only through shear volume of opportunities. Let Beagle and Hendricks anchor a shutdown line while Chimmer, Lombardi, and Brouwer make up an extremely versatile 3rd line.
Go go captain box score. Way to cherry pick those stats.

If one bad season on a team where nobody could score means that Stoll is "rapidly declining," I guess that Matthew Lombardi's concussion has left him brain dead.

You know what plays a large part in how many points a middle of the line-up guy scores? Ice time. During Lombardi's time in Phoenix, he was receiving consistent top 6 minutes. In fact, after he was traded their in 2009, he saw nearly 21 minutes a night.
The only other player on my list who's seen those type of minutes is Jarret Stoll, who has consistently been a 40+ point guy until this past season (when he saw more time at 2W and 3C than 2C, and nobody in LA could score).
I'm not arguing that Sammy Pahlson or Jay McClement will do as well offensively as Matthew Lombardi. But they'd both be cheaper than $3.5M, wouldn't cost anything in a trade, and don't carry the same type of injury risk. And Stoll or Kelly would put up very similar production to a healthy Lombardi in a 3C role.

If all you want is someone fast to play the transition game with Jason Chimera, just stick Marcus Johansson as the 3C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
If all it takes is Pat Koudys...
Carrier and Sjogren have the potential to actually reach the NHL in some capacity (even if its a limited role). Paquette could at least be a solid AHL guy. Koudys, on the other hand, looked awful this year. And he was, rightfully, buried on the RPI depth chart because of it. He's going so far as transferring schools to try and get more ice time. If he rediscovers his defensive game, maybe he can turn his career around. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Personally, I like Lombardi and it amazes me how quickly Leafs fans turned on him KNOWING he had not only had a career threatening concussion(it was that bad) but that he came back early, probably too early. Last season he wasn't great but I'd certainly give the guy another crack. He can be a very useful play in a variety of roles. Like I said though, amazes me how quickly people forget how serious of an injury he suffered. He's a guy I can really see doing well next year and unless we need the cap space, which we may or may not need, if the latter is the case, I'll keep him. You cannot teach that kind of speed.
I agree with this. I don't like the idea of trading him now while his value is at an all time low. That said, if you wanted to take Connolly too I'd consider that a deal....

Lombardi + Connolly for a seventh?

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Lombardi + Connolly for a seventh?
Are we competing for the LTIR cup? Because we already have a pretty good defense with Poti and Green.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Go go captain box score. Way to cherry pick those stats.

If one bad season on a team where nobody could score means that Stoll is "rapidly declining," I guess that Matthew Lombardi's concussion has left him brain dead.

You know what plays a large part in how many points a middle of the line-up guy scores? Ice time. During Lombardi's time in Phoenix, he was receiving consistent top 6 minutes. In fact, after he was traded their in 2009, he saw nearly 21 minutes a night.
The only other player on my list who's seen those type of minutes is Jarret Stoll, who has consistently been a 40+ point guy until this past season (when he saw more time at 2W and 3C than 2C, and nobody in LA could score).
I'm not arguing that Sammy Pahlson or Jay McClement will do as well offensively as Matthew Lombardi. But they'd both be cheaper than $3.5M, wouldn't cost anything in a trade, and don't carry the same type of injury risk. And Stoll or Kelly would put up very similar production to a healthy Lombardi in a 3C role.

If all you want is someone fast to play the transition game with Jason Chimera, just stick Marcus Johansson as the 3C.

If all it takes is Pat Koudys...
Carrier and Sjogren have the potential to actually reach the NHL in some capacity (even if its a limited role). Paquette could at least be a solid AHL guy. Koudys, on the other hand, looked awful this year. And he was, rightfully, buried on the RPI depth chart because of it. He's going so far as transferring schools to try and get more ice time. If he rediscovers his defensive game, maybe he can turn his career around. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Good, we have a deal ahah.

QMJHLfollower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:54 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

He looked better and better as the season went, except the Leafs looked worse and worse.

I'd be willing to part ways for a pick. You guys could run away with a steal though.
I'd be interested in Joel Ward too, but would the Caps be willing?

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote