HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ultimate Coaching Poll

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Capitals Coach?
Tom Renney 2 0.00%
Marc Crawford 8 0.00%
Mark French 1 0.00%
Paul Maurice - KHL bound 7 0.00%
Ron Wilson 8 0.00%
Craig MacTavish - Hired by Edmonton 22 0.00%
Guy Carbonneau 6 0.00%
Mike Keenan 2 0.00%
Michele Therrien - Hired by Montreal 2 0.00%
Andy Murray 2 0.00%
Dallas Eakins - Staying with Marlies 8 0.00%
Bob Hartley - Hired by Calgary 10 0.00%
Jim Johnson 6 0.00%
Terry Murray 0 0%
Mike Sullivan 0 0%
John Hynes 0 0%
Adam Oates 777,777 99.99%
Patrick Roy 4 0.00%
Craig Ramsay 2 0.00%
Larry Robinson 3 0.00%
Jacques Martin 2 0.00%
Jon Cooper 7 0.00%
Mike Haviland 1 0.00%
Other 7 0.00%
Teflon Dean Evason - Hired to coach Milwaukee (AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 777887. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Dream Big

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
via twitter: @Capitalsintern

Vogel also thinks pool of possible coaches to choose from is small and new head coach could come possibly in house, mentioning Dean Evason.

just. no. words.
I'd be interested to see what Evason might do. He knows the strength and weaknesses of the players. He has more NHL experience than Boudreau. If he stinks it up you can still do the mid season swap like Caps, LA etc did this year which can also work.

However if there is some other great coach out there that GMGM feels more comfortable with I'd defer to that.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:46 PM
txpd

this thread is a joke. half of are already setting the fuse in your ear for your head to explode if something you dont like happens and that is where so much of the posting is coming from.

i said larry robinson. he would be the best coach, but i see no evidence he ever wants to be a head coach again.

olie would be interesting.
mact would be realistic.

i wanted hunter. so what do i know.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Hartley, the last one of these to win it all.
Yep, would like a guy who knows what it takes

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Bob Hartley,"Despite his anglophone-sounding name, Hartley is a Franco-Ontarian. French is his first language; his English has a marked French accent."

He'll also have no problem making it pass the first cut with the Montreal Canadiens coach interviews.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Bob Hartley,"Despite his anglophone-sounding name, Hartley is a Franco-Ontarian. French is his first language; his English has a marked French accent."

He'll also have no problem making it pass the first cut with the Montreal Canadiens coach interviews.
MP is a slam dunk for 2C..

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I picked Roy....although he would be a rookie coach, the amount of anger and arrogance he puts out would be entertaining as hell.

Robinson would be on my short list if he was inclined to take the job again. Carbo too...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Surprised no one has mentioned Adam Oates. I see him on the list.
Past Caps great, offensive minded. He has no NHL head coaching exp but from the list of has beens, never weres and never gonna be head coaches I see here. Why not?

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Dale Hunter. I see him on the list.
Past Caps great, offensive minded. He has no NHL head coaching exp but from the list of has beens, never weres and never gonna be head coaches I see here. Why not?
That's why.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Surprised no one has mentioned Adam Oates. I see him on the list.
Oates is someone I've had in my mind, but I'm suspicious of how he's perceived around the NHL. I've never heard of him on the short list for a head coaching gig even though he's been and assistant for a a while for multiple teams.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:10 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Oates is someone I've had in my mind, but I'm suspicious of how he's perceived around the NHL. I've never heard of him on the short list for a head coaching gig even though he's been and assistant for a a while for multiple teams.
Well his first coaching gigs (to my knowlege) were all asst. positions with TBL & now NJD. The names I see thrown around here: McT,Hartley,WILSON for God sakes... not a step fwd for DC. I admit to being born a NYR fan who has been in DC for 14yrs now & I follow the Caps very closely. I also am a fan of theirs when they are not playing NY. I am amazed by the job Hunter did in very little time. I also had a feeling he was not staying. Too bad & good luck to the Caps. It has been wonderful seeing hockey take off here. Hopefully they can keep it rolling

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:11 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Doug Jarvis

A short defensive minded ex cap. Bonus, no NHL experience. Its a left wing lock.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
Hopefully they can keep it rolling
this rolling you speak of? it only works going downhill and there's this hill at the end of the second round.

btw...you like the roll as long as they lose to the rangers for you. you wouldnt be here had the caps won.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Tom Renney

GMGM is gonna be like: "Well he was the HC of the 3rd best PP in the NHL."

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:19 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

What about Caps going the difficult way and hiring European coach?
Bengt-Ake Gustafsson.
Olympic champion with Sweden, IMO Europe's best coach.
Former Cap.
I'm not saying I'd do it... just throwing the idea.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:10 AM
BobRouse

1. We MUST get a coach with prior NHL head coaching experience...that should be a no brainer.

2. If we want a marshmellow soft team who plays a passive system we should hire Ron Wilson=Paul Maurice=Jacques Martin

that leaves the rest of the candidates in my book and not the most appealing bunch. Personally I think the lesser of the evils is one of Hartley, Crawford or MacTavish.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:41 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Don't forget George sets a low bar. He just wants to compete for the cup every year. Looking back at his last 2 hires, they did just that. While allowing him an ear to whisper in to, and maintaining job security.

I have a feeling he does not want to run into someone with a bigger ego than himself, as he may find himself out of a job. Someone that grabs the bull by horns, and doesn't roll over as easily. Goes right to Ted.

I know its tough balancing his career, Ted and sales - quality entertainment, the paid stars and busting prospects. But he needs guidance running the team, something a no sir coach will do for him. Bruce and Dale as coaches were almost complete opposites, but both were team guys with open ears.

It seems to me he needed someone to simply tweak what BB was doing, not do the near complete opposite.

If he is doing so, he needs to stop meddling in coaching, just as Ted needed to step back from managing.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:05 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this thread is a joke. half of are already setting the fuse in your ear for your head to explode if something you dont like happens and that is where so much of the posting is coming from.

i said larry robinson. he would be the best coach, but i see no evidence he ever wants to be a head coach again.

olie would be interesting.
mact would be realistic.

i wanted hunter. so what do i know.
How is it a joke to say you don't want a certain person as the head coach of your fav team? I'd be pretty upset with a Ron Wilson hire. What's so bad about putting that out there? My head will explode? ...no...

Also: THE SHIFT KEY IS YOUR FRIEND!

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Tom Renney

GMGM is gonna be like: "Well he was the HC of the 3rd best PP in the NHL."
He also knows him from their time in the Vancouver organization so I could see it. I'm not sure he's enough of a hard-ass but at some point the players are going to have to become self-disciplined. Ideally he seems like a better player development guy but he's a pretty inside the box option for McPhee.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
1. We MUST get a coach with prior NHL head coaching experience...that should be a no brainer.

2. If we want a marshmellow soft team who plays a passive system we should hire Ron Wilson=Paul Maurice=Jacques Martin

that leaves the rest of the candidates in my book and not the most appealing bunch. Personally I think the lesser of the evils is one of Hartley, Crawford or MacTavish.
I actually like Andy Murray. He did some good things with middling Kings and Blues teams.

Larry Robinson and Craig McTavish would be good as well.

Evason would be a kick in the shorts frankly, to me at least. GMGM's inability to hire coaches scares the bejesus out of me, and Evason would be the right along that vein.

God help us all.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:09 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I actually like Andy Murray. He did some good things with middling Kings and Blues teams.
He's won one round of playoff hockey in ten years behind the bench. Yeeeeeeeeeeks.

Give Olie the gig.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
He's won one round of playoff hockey in ten years behind the bench. Yeeeeeeeeeeks.

Give Olie the gig.
Sounds like a perfect compliment to GMGM's record since 1998.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I personally don't care much about "structure" (read: conservative/trapping) coaches. He is one of those. Not a fan personally but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:32 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Johnson is an interesting choice. Did some great things with a rough Norfolk team in the past and seems to be able to motivate guys.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I personally don't care much about "structure" (read: conservative/trapping) coaches. He is one of those. Not a fan personally but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach.
I hear you.

Thing I heard about Murray is he helped to create a good atmosphere, guys enjoyed playing for him, he made things fun.

I think this team needs some fun...and Murray's style is more open than Hunter's. He also never had talent like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green etc.

I think if the Caps can get a good/sound structured coach who has a system that preaches defense, as they need that, but promotes some fun, then they will be in a great spot.

With Holtby, Carlzner maturing, and the aforementioned big 3 augmented by Chimera, MaJo, Laich, Brower, Beagle, Hamrlik, Hendricks, Orlov....you've got 8 forwards, 5 dmen, and a goalie to build your team around, and a lot of money to spend.

The right atmosphere is most important, in my book, right now. Yes, x's and o's are big, but so is the player interaction skills, for this team.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:05 AM
noptov

Roy and have Ollie on the bench as an assistant coach. Proceed to spend the entire season attempting to instigate a bench clearing brawl.

noptov is offline   Reply With Quote