HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blocked shots phase

Old
05-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Master Shake

vCash: 500
Blocked shots phase

cant wait to watch people trying to block Joe Morrows shots

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
canadianguy77

Wat?

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

word we'll see how eager the rangers are to drop down and take a Morrow howitzer to the face.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
wej20

Callahan blocked a Chara shot so he'll manage.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
Wat?

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...oe_morrow.html

Old
05-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Master Shake

Skates like Paul Coffey, contender for hardest shot, will drop the gloves. If he has any clue who to play defense this team has another Norris contender. Cant wait. I think he makes the team this year

Old
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
cassius

I'm watching the Rangers / Devils game and there's some really weird thing going on right now where all the forwards/defenseman think they are goalies. Do you guyz know wats going on?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I'm watching the Rangers / Devils game and there's some really weird thing going on right now where all the forwards/defenseman think they are goalies. Do you guyz know wats going on?
The league needs to ban shot blocking gear from non goalies.

other than that Id love to find a way to reduce blocks but not sure how you do it. Maybe a zone like the crease but expanded where shots can be blocked and after that not allow except on the pk

i hate punishing the guys who are true shot blockers but something has to be done to cut down the amount going on these days as its getting out of hand

Old
05-16-2012, 11:49 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The league needs to ban shot blocking gear from non goalies.

other than that Id love to find a way to reduce blocks but not sure how you do it. Maybe a zone like the crease but expanded where shots can be blocked and after that not allow except on the pk

i hate punishing the guys who are true shot blockers but something has to be done to cut down the amount going on these days as its getting out of hand
Going all out to block shots in a tight playoff game is not a new phenomena, nor should it be restricted. If forwards and defensemen are willing to lay their bodies on the line and pay the price then so be it. That's kinda what made Gill-Scuderi so effective during the Cup runs - penalty killing and shot blocking.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Interesting thought from Puck Daddy's Greg Wyshynski:

Quote:
Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
See, right there: If you're looking for a practical rules change for shot-blocking, make blocks over the glass in D zone a delay of game.

DegenX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Going all out to block shots in a tight playoff game is not a new phenomena, nor should it be restricted. If forwards and defensemen are willing to lay their bodies on the line and pay the price then so be it. That's kinda what made Gill-Scuderi so effective during the Cup runs - penalty killing and shot blocking.
Ive been watching the NHL for over 30 years. Trust me, its alot heavier than its ever been.

If this trend grows it will need to be controlled. Its like watching goalie armor swell up.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Shady Machine

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...t-problem.html

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Interesting thought from Puck Daddy's Greg Wyshynski:
That's just awful.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

The Two Joes will lead the Penguins to the land of Victory.

Said it before, will say it again. Joe Morrow has a legitimate shot of making this team at some point during the next season. I say do it. If he can play responsibly the rest will take care of itself. Let's see if we can get Capt. Giroux to block one of his shots. Only bad thing is no video of the shattering goalie mask.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I don't think the league can do much to prevent blocked shots. Its always been a part of the game. You can't regulate everything. You put in place a policy to stop blocked shots, next thing you know its the trap that gets a policy, and it just spirals from there.

05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Ive been watching the NHL for over 30 years. Trust me, its alot heavier than its ever been.

If this trend grows it will need to be controlled. Its like watching goalie armor swell up.
And what do you propose Master Shake? There really isn't much they can do other than force equipment companies to make worse protecting equipment.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I don't think the league can do much to prevent blocked shots. Its always been a part of the game. You can't regulate everything. You put in place a policy to stop blocked shots, next thing you know its the trap that gets a policy, and it just spirals from there.
The easiest thing to do - make the freaking ice bigger. There is so much space on the international level that it isn't an issue. The dumb pundits saying "Make a shot block going over the glass a penalty" couldn't be further off the trail.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

They're never going to get rid of all of those seats. You know that Cole. We're lucky fans aren't aloud to sit in the penalty box. Makes me sick.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Cmon - it's much worse today than ever. I watched the Rangers/Devils game last night and 90% of the time there were 4 Rangers crowding around Lundqvist trying to take up space. The game has definitely changed to a more shot-blocking oriented one over a skill one.

When you dig up old footage from the early 90's or mid 90's, you simply don't see that attention towards shot-blocking / clogging up shooting lanes. For me, it definitely has an impact on the on-ice product when forwards are essentially reduced to playing goal at all times.

I hope the league can step in and make some rule changes, but like you said it's such a tough thing to regulate.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The easiest thing to do - make the freaking ice bigger. There is so much space on the international level that it isn't an issue. The dumb pundits saying "Make a shot block going over the glass a penalty" couldn't be further off the trail.
Making the ice bigger would solve most of the problems the league has on the ice in my opinion. How is the delay of game thing dumb though? I mean yeah it's a silly way to curb shot blocking but if people want less blocked shots.....

In general I'm glad it's becoming cool to say that the game's flow is getting bogged down. Up until this thread if you suggested any change whatsoever it was just "ZOMG u only lyke GOALS!!!1111"

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Making the ice bigger would solve most of the problems the league has on the ice in my opinion. How is the delay of game thing dumb though? I mean yeah it's a silly way to curb shot blocking but if people want less blocked shots.....

In general I'm glad it's becoming cool to say that the game's flow is getting bogged down. Up until this thread if you suggested any change whatsoever it was just "ZOMG u only lyke GOALS!!!1111"
It's dumb because that basically means you can't defend the puck. How many times do you see a dman put his stick on the puck and it ramps off into the netting? A lot. What constitutes a block vs an inadvertent deflection? There are too many unintended consequences of that rule.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It's dumb because that basically means you can't defend the puck. How many times do you see a dman put his stick on the puck and it ramps off into the netting? A lot. What constitutes a block vs an inadvertent deflection? There are too many unintended consequences of that rule.
Ha yeah you're right for some reason I was only thinking of body blocks.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm all for making the ice bigger. I just don't see it happening due to seating concerns.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I totally see why people are pessimistic about them taking out seats, but I truly don't know what the big deal is. You know if all the owners had a gun to their heads and had to remove a row of seats they'd just make up the difference by upping the price of the rest of the seats.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I totally see why people are pessimistic about them taking out seats, but I truly don't know what the big deal is. You know if all the owners had a gun to their heads and had to remove a row of seats they'd just make up the difference by upping the price of the rest of the seats.
Making it more difficult for some markets to put fans in the seats. Ultimately, I'm for making the ice bigger. However, as a fan, Penguins tickets are already at the top of my budget. I mean, 2 tickets to sit in the top row for 150? That's pretty steep for a city like Pittsburgh.