HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The "I Guess I've Got To Do It" Edition: Game 2: Rangers vs. Devils

Old
05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Skrimpy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Whats even more sick is that people are already saying the series is over, it's tied 1-1!! Devils scored their goals on stupid mistakes by the Rangers, Rangers don't make those mistakes then we win 2-1. Some "fans" shouldn't even post here if they think we are eliminated when the series is tied 1-1, pathetic.
This is forgivable for pesimistic fans who have been watching garbage from this team since 96-97. It isnt however from analysts who know better. They did it when Ott tied it at both 1 and 2 and again with Washington (as did I). Shame on them. The one thing that I have learned from watching the playoffs all these years (but I had forgotten watching Ott and Wash play the blueshirts) is that the series isnt over until the buzzer when one team is up 4. All the Devils did last night was make this a best of five. I look at it this way. You are all right. The boys played horrible last night but if you think about the Devils only got one more goal. What do you think is going to happen when the boys pick their game up again? Rangers in 7.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Cmox

Oh yeah, the Doc, Pierre and Eddie where very agitating last night. I was actually getting pretty annoyed.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: May 17, 2012 9:55a

RT @eduhatschek Question to PHWA colleagues: Anyone consider a boycott of JTortorella presser? Just walk out en masse when he goes to podium

sent via UberSocial for BlackBerry
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/st...21500730048512
LOL. Yeah that'll show him. He'd laugh all the way back to the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
3 two on and ones so far...0 for 3.
This has been a killer. We are one of the worst teams on the odd man rush.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
They were repeatedly using picks and pulling off subtle interference throughout this game. It was definitely not just you...
If I were the coach I would have them watch tape to find the picks and grabs. Pay attention boys when you know a pick or grab is coming, skate THROUGH IT. Go hard in the areas where they occur so you have the edge. Knock him on his @$$. I dont see why if a player is impeding you, you cant shove him out of the way. Happens in those battles in front of the net all the time and nobody is called.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
GloveSave35

Question:

Does anyone know what's up with the random dollar bills that are on the base of the glass around the boards at MSG? I've seen them the last couple games but don't know the story behind it. Anyone know?

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I can't believe that guy actually suggested not showing up to teach Torts a lesson. I would love to see Torts reaction to that, it probably would be ****ing hilarious.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
LOL. Yeah that'll show him. He'd laugh all the way back to the locker room.

Do people actually think Torts would care? He'd probably only care because they wasted his time.

Is it just me or with every passing day people become more stupid and annoying when it comes to the Rangers?

Old
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Devils were getting away with hooking and holding in our regular season games as well, it's frustrating.

And Devils fans have the nerve to say that the Rangers are ruining the game with their shot blocking...
Shot blocking is sooooo boring! Clutching and grabbing!?!? Not so boring because it wins hockey games. Stupid fans. Extremely stupid and everybody knows what you can't do. Argue with stupid.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Whichever team is wins it seems will be nothing but cannon fodder for the Kings anyway. They're on a different level from either team. This series is like amateur hour compared to the Kings.
I believe this to be true also.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Do people actually think Torts would care? He'd probably only care because they wasted his time.

Is it just me or with every passing day people become more stupid and annoying when it comes to the Rangers?
I'd be pissed if I was Torts too. Some of the questions that are asked are downright idiotic.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Not concerned. Rest should help a little. They played like **** and ALMOST won this game.
Thats the way I see it too.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I'd be pissed if I was Torts too. Some of the questions that are asked are downright idiotic.
This is true. I love the pressers because you can hear the fear in almost every reporter's voice.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Whoever said that losing game 2 will catch up with us is 100% right. How often can you lose home ice and expect to win. We almost lost last series, if it wasn't for Richards' miracle goal. We were only 1-2 in Washington. Making every series tied will take its toll. This team just doesn't show up when they have a chance to grab the series by its throat.
Yes but one win away puts home ice back in the home team's hands. I say they split in NJ and then its a best of three with home ice. I like that situstion. We all know the boys play like hell when their backs are against the wall.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Realistically, what are the chances that Eminger draws back in for Game 3?

Bickel's play, albeit in limited minutes, has degraded considerably. His confidence seems shaken and he's becoming a liability to the point of Coach Tortorella using him for less than 5 minutes per game (probably connected to the confidence thing, but no doubt a result of his uneven play).

If this team is going to advance, they need to get 7-8 quality minutes out of their 6th d-man. I think Eminger might be the better option at this point. Give him 2-3 shifts per period in G3 and work him up to 4 or 5 in the next two games. He needs to be steady, not spectacular. Agree? Disagree?

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Cmox

I'm honestly more concerned with Boyle's play, I don't count on him scoring but the countless fails to clear the zone is a real concern. Dubi really needs to be back.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I'm honestly more concerned with Boyle's play, I don't count on him scoring but the countless fails to clear the zone is a real concern. Dubi really needs to be back.
Yeah, I knew Boyle's scoring would stop at some point, but it seems like all the other facets of his game has slipped as well. The concussion surely didn't help matters, but, to be honest, there were times during the regular season where he looked like this, where he had trouble staying on his skates and clearing the puck.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Crease

Their inability to clear the zone is remarkable sometimes. I've lost count of the number of times this season they've been pinned in their own zone for over a minute.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Unfortunately that's exactly why he was alone in front. Elias set a blatant pick on Girardi trying to cut over. I could see it clear as day from sec 423. Wonder how the refs missed it.
yup...that pissed me off....the devils organization really does make their players study tapes on how to do things like that without getting a penalty....the fine line they know....it's obvious....from elias in the 1st to Parise in the 3rd knocking down our dman in front of the net with a stick to the back and almost scoring as a result....

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Fanned On It

Our BLATANT SLOPPINESS with the puck is going to bite us right in the ass! Me and my dad have been watching every game of the playoffs so far and it's the same crap every game, even when we win! When we win, we get timely goals, but do we EVER look good doing it? Maybe for spurts, but never consistently...

A big part of our failure every game is our lack of puck support. Puck support is having the players without the puck give the puck carrier OPTIONS for passes. This is particularly important when we are trying to clear our zone. We have our D-man with the puck who's only choice almost every time is to chip it up the boards to a pinching Devil's defenseman. I remember Staal and some of the other d-men chipping the puck up the strong side boards on more than a few occasions, and what happened? The Devils gain possession. This is where poor decision making comes in as well. No puck support + poor decision making WITH the puck = turnovers. I even remember the one time we DID try to use the weak-side Staal didn't even look and literally threw the puck straight to the Devil's point-man... we didn't even have a winger there to battle for it!

I don't know what it is... I guess it's a strategy thing... x's and o's. Our defensemen have to have options for breakout passes aside from launching the puck to center ice for a weak tip-in that almost always results in a turnover. Maybe have all 3 forwards drop back a little bit in our zone so we can make shorter and quicker passes.

It really is the downfall of our team; we can not clear the puck for our lives. Gaborik attempting to clear the puck and failing at it resulted in a goal... It's just a lack of a solid mix of composure and urgency (there's a fine line there between urgency and nervousness).

Sorry for the rant, but I have to mention one more glaring problem me and my father have been noticing game in and game out, and I even made a post about it about a month ago: our heavy collapsing defense. I know that "collapsing" and "protecting the house" is what we've been about all year long, and it's worked for the most part, but in a seven game series the opposing team is going to learn how to deal with it and realize that their point-men have SO MUCH TIME to do what they want with the puck. We aint gonna block every single shot they take, and when you miss a block, all you're doing is screening your goalie. So I have to think that a defensive change needs to be made. Our wingers should NEVER be coming down to the hashmarks when the puck is behind the net. Let the center cover the slot and have the wingers stay out by the top of the circles, this way when that inevitable low to high pass comes up to their point, we're there to do something about it! This has been a problem for us in both of the series before this one. First with Karlsson taking 80 shots a game, then with Carlsson (sp?) and Green taking 60 shots a game, and now with the Devils getting looks at Hank from the point.

We NEED to play a tad tighter to the point... It's going to bite our ***** if we don't. Sorry for the rant but I strongly feel that this team needs to make defensive adjustments. We supposedly (and I believe it) have these strong, young, amazing defensemen on our team in Staal, Danny G, McD, and Del Zotto, so why isn't our defense LOOKING like a shut down defense? I think it's the system.

All of that being said, Kreider was awesome last night and if his post ringer was a half an inch to the right we would've been up 3-1 and probably won the game.

Last edited by Fanned On It: 05-17-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Unfortunately that's exactly why he was alone in front. Elias set a blatant pick on Girardi trying to cut over. I could see it clear as day from sec 423. Wonder how the refs missed it.
And next time girardi should knock him on his @$$. So what, call the penalty. Kovy scores anyway and nullifies it but bet you're @$$ Elias doesnt pick next time. Like I said. Watch tape. Find the pick, brace for them and run the @$&_ers over.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

We have to capitalize against this Devils defense...They are not a powerhouse, but have a good system. We need to keep attacking them from the blue line and crash the net as usual

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

"Stop coaching, Santini."

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
We have to capitalize against this Devils defense...They are not a powerhouse, but have a good system. We need to keep attacking them from the blue line and crash the net as usual
But they tend to give up a lot of odd man rushes. Gotta capitalize on that!
Last night was a lot of "lets not shoot and make 45 drop passes only to have the shot be blocked or go wide."
There seems to be a trend and I know we all see it. The games they lose are the games they try to be the Harlem Globe Trotters. They win when the shoot the damn puck and go to the net.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Elias did it two times after that, too.

It's been happening all playoffs, every ****ing team does it except us. We probably should.
That's a good idea. If the Rangers do it, everyone will lobby for rule changes to keep the most hated club in the league from doing it.

Old
05-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
And next time girardi should knock him on his @$$. So what, call the penalty. Kovy scores anyway and nullifies it but bet you're @$$ Elias doesnt pick next time. Like I said. Watch tape. Find the pick, brace for them and run the @$&_ers over.