HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Big Joe to Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
  #126
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhanot View Post
Actually, Staal could get traded for a top 6 forward, and its not like the Leafs don't have defensive depth. So yepp. They can have defensive prospects, I'd even be willing to trade Phaneuf. (Cap Hit, so not really for Pittsburgh). Gunnarsson, Schenn, Franson, Holzer. All possible people to go to Pitts.
I don't want to get into this, but in my opinion there is almost no chance Staal goes to Toronto. Good luck trying, but I don't think it'll happen.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
  #127
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's probably one of the delusional fans that thinks Getzlaf's available and than Staal will come to Toronto without Kessel going back.
See thats where we disagree I don't Kessel needs to be in the deal for JS

I think something around Schenn Kuli and the 5th pick could get it done

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
  #128
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
See thats where we disagree I don't Kessel needs to be in the deal for JS

I think something around Schenn Kuli and the 5th pick could get it done
You would give up that much for a guy who isn't even a #1C??? Good god, if that's the case...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
  #129
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
See thats where we disagree I don't Kessel needs to be in the deal for JS

I think something around Schenn Kuli and the 5th pick could get it done
Maybe but what makes you think Staal would want to stay in Toronto after next season? What makes you think Staal even steps up into the #1 center role when he's been a 3rd line center and a 2nd line winger most of his career in Pittsburgh?

At least with Thornton, you're getting a proven #1 center and someone who has always re-signed with whoever he has been with regardless of circumstances.

Plus, those assets for a gamble and potentially one-year rental is an awfully high price to pay.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
  #130
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Maybe but what makes you think Staal would want to stay in Toronto after next season? What makes you think Staal even steps up into the #1 center role when he's been a 3rd line center and a 2nd line winger most of his career in Pittsburgh?

At least with Thornton, you're getting a proven #1 center and someone who has always re-signed with whoever he has been with regardless of circumstances.

Plus, those assets for a gamble and potentially one-year rental is an awfully high price to pay.
1st all my response was due to the statment that Staal could not be acquired without Kessel going the other way thats simply not true.

2nd do you really think that deal that I posted is made if Burke doesn't know staal will re sign? of course not

3rd he's been a 3rd line center yes but he's not a #3 center. How many guys can name that wouldn't be a #3 center behin Crosby and Malkin?

I've seen Staal Carry the pens when sid and malkin are out I have no doubt he could do it in Toronto

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
  #131
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
Is there a remote chance that SJ would trade Thornton to Leafs? Many Toronto fans want to keep our team young but i think a true veteran leader is required to set the youngsters intact. Having said that what would Sharks be looking in return if the trade was even to be looked at. Thanks in advance..
Jumbo Joe is not the answer

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
  #132
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
1st all my response was due to the statment that Staal could not be acquired without Kessel going the other way thats simply not true.

2nd do you really think that deal that I posted is made if Burke doesn't know staal will re sign? of course not

3rd he's been a 3rd line center yes but he's not a #3 center. How many guys can name that wouldn't be a #3 center behin Crosby and Malkin?

I've seen Staal Carry the pens when sid and malkin are out I have no doubt he could do it in Toronto
And if he is intending on testing the market, that is an option that is off the table for you. Either way, you're still taking a huge risk. Carrying the Penguins for a few games is not the same as being under the expectation of the #1 center and doing it the whole year. Is that something you want to trade those assets and pay in excess of 6 million dollars to gamble on?

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
  #133
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
That package is comparable / better than what the Flyers recieved for Richards or Carter, both of whom are more valuable at this point than Thornton.
You obviously don't have a grasp on Thornton's value if this is what you believe. He is one of the top Centers in the game, and though he is older, his style of play likely means he has at least 3 more years of being a top level center, and a few more being a 2nd line. Carter and Richards, while fine players, are nowhere near Thornton's league. Those two players COMBINED this year scored 1 more point than Thornton in 47 more games. Thornton faced better competition on the ice, and did more with that time as evidenced by many advanced statistics.

The value of an aging elite C like Thornton is more than the value of 2nd line centers in the prime of their careers, especially when the aspects of that elite center's game that makes him so good aren't things that normally diminish with age.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
  #134
MuchoMacho
Registered User
 
MuchoMacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Penalty Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Wow, when you SJ fans were saying the price was going to be very high for Big Joe I braced myself - but I was shocked to see what you guys actually wanted. If your GM wants anything close to that, I'd assume they're in talks. 5th + kadri/colborne/kulemin/2nd/schenn (not all, but a combination of two or three of those) is very do-able IMO.

As many have already said, Big Joe + Luongo = a pretty decent team with both young blood and veteran leadership. If Burke doesn't get the leafs into the playoffs next year, I'm assuming he'll be fired. If Big Joe + Luongo are reasonable targets, then it makes sense he would go after them. He tried to stand pat the past couple years and it didn't really work. This is Burke's last chance so he has to pull the trigger.

I'd rather have Getzlaf, E. Staal, etc. but you can't keep on holding out for what you want, year after year. I don't want to sell the farm to get knocked out in the first round, but at a certain point of constantly missing the playoffs the Leafs have to make some moves and hope they pan out.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:13 PM
  #135
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafanatic13 View Post
Wow, when you SJ fans were saying the price was going to be very high for Big Joe I braced myself - but I was shocked to see what you guys actually wanted. If your GM wants anything close to that, I'd assume they're in talks. 5th + kadri/colborne/kulemin/2nd/schenn (not all, but a combination of two or three of those) is very do-able IMO.

As many have already said, Big Joe + Luongo = a pretty decent team with both young blood and veteran leadership. If Burke doesn't get the leafs into the playoffs next year, I'm assuming he'll be fired. If Big Joe + Luongo are reasonable targets, then it makes sense he would go after them. He tried to stand pat the past couple years and it didn't really work. This is Burke's last chance so he has to pull the trigger.

I'd rather have Getzlaf, E. Staal, etc. but you can't keep on holding out for what you want, year after year. I don't want to sell the farm to get knocked out in the first round, but at a certain point of constantly missing the playoffs the Leafs have to make some moves and hope they pan out.
So you're basically giving me permission to raid the Leafs of their high picks and speedy young forwards?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:53 AM
  #136
Falcons93
Registered User
 
Falcons93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
See thats where we disagree I don't Kessel needs to be in the deal for JS

I think something around Schenn Kuli and the 5th pick could get it done
I wouldn't even want to include the 5th in a package for Thornton.. I want us to keep it and hope that it turns out better than Luke Schenn lol

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:18 AM
  #137
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,805
vCash: 500
Schenn, Kulemin, 5th for Joe T.

Caputi, 3rd round pick for Luongo

= Leafs playoffs 2012-2013

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  #138
Korolyuk15
Registered User
 
Korolyuk15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
I would love this trade to happen....would much rather keep Marleau than Thornton, but something tells me this won't happen.

As an armchair GM I would want

5th, Grabovski and Schenn

Might settle for Kulemin, but I love Grabovski's speed which is what the sharks are sorely lacking (haven't seen Kulemin enough to know how he rates in that department)

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
  #139
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,526
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Schenn, Kulemin, 5th for Joe T.

Caputi, 3rd round pick for Luongo

= Leafs playoffs 2012-2013
Caputi was traded to Anaheim for Deschamps, so I'm guessing you will now say Deschamps + 3rd for Luongo haha.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
  #140
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Schenn, Kulemin, 5th for Joe T.

Caputi, 3rd round pick for Luongo

= Leafs playoffs 2012-2013
I think Caputi was dealt to the ducks for Niklas Dechamps

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.