HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
it's just frustrating. What is it about this team that these guys don't want to stick around? For years, we lost players because we couldn't afford to keep them...now, we lose them because they just don't want to stay?

That's a problem.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If you guys want to talk about cities take it to The Lounge. This is a hockey forum for hockey talk. Specifically Suter talk in this thread.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 05-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old
05-11-2012, 10:46 AM
handsomehal
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Put all of your letters to Ryan Suter here. Anything from pleas for him to stay to "dont let the door hit you on the way out". Just curious to see how we feel.
since you're probably going to Detroit, GTFO

Old
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Notice over on the trade board that someone says Jason Botchford (Canucks beat guy) said that the scuttlebutt is that Suter has a short list of teams he's willing to play for, and Nashville isn't on it.

If true... Doesn't surprise me. He doesn't seem like a Nashville guy. Shea strikes me as a Nashville guy and even I'm skeptical about him being here long term.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
it's just frustrating. What is it about this team that these guys don't want to stick around? For years, we lost players because we couldn't afford to keep them...now, we lose them because they just don't want to stay?

That's a problem.
We are always going to be that team until the Nashville Predators REVENUE goes up ... i.e. charging more for tickets, concessions, parking, suites, etc

Old
05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
We are always going to be that team until the Nashville Predators REVENUE goes up ... i.e. charging more for tickets, concessions, parking, suites, etc
I don't buy that. If Suter leaves, it's not because we tried to nickel and dime him. We've seen evidence that the team will spend more on the right players. He just honestly doesn't seem to want to stay here.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
codeman00

I guess we will see...but there's no need to rip the guy until after his decision, unless of course you want him to go somewhere else...which strangely enough it sounds like some of you people do.

If I was a pro athlete and was trying to make a decision of where my career was going to end, well, I'd probably take some time in making the decision too. He has been worried that Nashville won't try to contend every year. Honestly, the Preds management have shown them for one year that they are willing to do what it takes. Nothing is guaranteed in the future though. I received the bait and switch at my current job and I know how it feels; I'm sure he just wants to be sure about his decision.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Correct me if I'm wrong .....

Would Suter be the first non-rental player to leave the Preds when the Preds wanted him and were willing to pay what others would pay to keep him?

Vokie, Kimmi, Hartz were all $$ issues. Same with Kariya. There have a lot of guys we've chosen not to re-sign.

I think Ryan would be the first.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Vokie, Kimmi, Hartz were all $$ issues. Same with Kariya. There have a lot of guys we've chosen not to re-sign.
I've never understood where this came from. Vokoun was signed and was traded because Liarpold wanted to cut payroll to sell the team. Same with Timonen and Hartnell. If there had been different management, I'm sure we would have tried to sign them. (Might not have been successful considering the overpayment they got but that's another story.)

As for Kariya, I don't think the Preds thought he was worth what he was asking. (And, IMHO, they turned out to be right.)

Old
05-11-2012, 03:08 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I've never understood where this came from. Vokoun was signed and was traded because Liarpold wanted to cut payroll to sell the team. Same with Timonen and Hartnell. If there had been different management, I'm sure we would have tried to sign them. (Might not have been successful considering the overpayment they got but that's another story.)

As for Kariya, I don't think the Preds thought he was worth what he was asking. (And, IMHO, they turned out to be right.)
That's the point. All those guys left because on some level, we chose to let them go (whether that was GMDP's decision or a mandate from Leipold).

We haven't had any non-rental players that I can think of who have chosen to leave us.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:00 PM
dulzhok

I have serious reservations if Ryan Suter is worth 7m, especially once he gets into this 30s.

If you look and his nonchalant play down the stretch this year, what happens when he signs at 7-10 year contract and his body starts to age? I don't have a good feeling about his motivational tendencies.

Suter is solid, but don't mistake him for Progner or Niedermayer. If he doesn't have a top notch defenseman to be paired with, he's not going to be dominant. Offensively, he's great at rushing the puck up the ice, but his skills in the offensive zone are lacking. His assits will go way down if he doesn't have someone like Weber opposite the point. He's always had a piss poor shot.

While solid on his skates, he relies on Weber to handle the physical play .

I would prefer us not to re-sign Suter due to his salary demands. The 7m a year can be spent better elsewhere. Josi is on the road to become a similar player-- we'd still need to bring more veteran players(s).

I wish we would've traded him last offseason when we could've gotten a king's ransom.

We still may be able to generate a bidding war for his rights. Philly and Pittsburgh could go crazy for him.

Suter + Hornqvust for Staal

Old
05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
AEM6729

Globe and Mail article entitled "Why Ryan Suter Will Stay in Nashville".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...articlecontent

It makes me feel weird that anyone at the Globe and Mail is writing anything even remotely positive about us...

Old
05-12-2012, 03:25 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I could have sworn I posted something yesterday...

Ah yes, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If you guys want to talk about cities take it to The Lounge. This is a hockey forum for hockey talk. Specifically Suter talk in this thread.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

It makes me feel weird that anyone at the Globe and Mail is writing anything even remotely positive about us...
That and Phoenix advancing to the conference finals are sure signs of the apocalypse.

Suter has a big decision to make, for sure. If he wants a change of scenery, or wants out of Weber's shadow (just speculation), then I can see that. But if his true motive is to play for a Cup contender, there really aren't a lot of teams in better position than we are. Hopefully he makes the right decision for him.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:29 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Honestly I love Suter but I would much rather lock Shea up long term, and use te money we were going to use on Suter and try and lure in Parise.

We've don't have much of a shot but it's worth taking that shot

Old
05-13-2012, 12:36 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

A nice read surprisingly. Hopefully they are right. We have a better chance with Suter for sure. However, I wonder if using 7million on a decent dman and package some d talent and a Hornqvist and/or Wilson for a great offensive player would be the better direction. Time will tell.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:27 AM
kakemono

Dear Ryan Suter,

Do what is best for you and your family.

Thanks you,
kakemono

Old
05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

OK since some people decided they would rather ignore my two comments and continue on with the city-vs-city battle, I deleted every bit of it. Bring it back up and you'll find yourself locked out of the thread.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Wow this thread just died. lol.

Ryan, its been nice but you have proven to be a turn coat and I don't expect you to be around after the draft. I will always respect you for your hard work here, but if you go to Detroit I will lose all respect for you.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:49 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Wow this thread just died. lol.

Ryan, its been nice but you have proven to be a turn coat and I don't expect you to be around after the draft. I will always respect you for your hard work here, but if you go to Detroit I will lose all respect for you.
Yeah, all the fun disappeared.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Any new news since $uter turned in his 2 week notice

Old
05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Any new news since $uter turned in his 2 week notice
probably won't hear anything for another month. he may have said in "weeks" but honestly, we won't know till mid-june maybe later. we just need to know by the draft to see what we can get in return.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Suter is solid, but don't mistake him for Progner or Niedermayer. If he doesn't have a top notch defenseman to be paired with, he's not going to be dominant. Offensively, he's great at rushing the puck up the ice, but his skills in the offensive zone are lacking. His assits will go way down if he doesn't have someone like Weber opposite the point. He's always had a piss poor shot.

While solid on his skates, he relies on Weber to handle the physical play .
I think he is better than Pronger & Niedermayer but would put Pronger as a little more desirable in the past based on intimidation. However Pronger playing like he did earlier in his career would be sitting out a long time with suspensions so I think the intimidation factor is now diminishing.

The other part? Nick never had to be physical and every GM in the league would have sold their soul to get him.

Nashville fans deserve to have Suter back but I think that you guys still suffer a little from not having the hockey tradition that many other cities have. You keep the enthusiasm and committment going though, you guys will start being known as a hockey destination.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
predseth

Let's say all of the negotiating gets it down to a 10 year $64 million dollar contract. Do you, David Poile, sign that contract?

Cap hit of 6.4M
Year: Amount:
1 7M
2 7.5M
3 8M
4 8.5M
5 8M
6 7M
7 6M
8 5M
9 4M
10 3M

Old
05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predseth View Post
Let's say all of the negotiating gets it down to a 10 year $64 million dollar contract. Do you, David Poile, sign that contract?

Cap hit of 6.4M
Year: Amount:
1 7M
2 7.5M
3 8M
4 8.5M
5 8M
6 7M
7 6M
8 5M
9 4M
10 3M
Quick, sign it before he can change his mind!

(Assuming cap hit rules stay the same under the new CBA)

Closed Thread