HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Blocked shots phase

Old
05-17-2012, 02:54 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
I'd love to see what Geno could do on a bigger ice surface in the NHL. I 100% agree that's where the answer lies.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd love to see what Geno could do on a bigger ice surface in the NHL. I 100% agree that's where the answer lies.
It wouldn't even be fair. No doubt he would tear it up.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It wouldn't even be fair. No doubt he would tear it up.
It doesn't need to be International size, but a bit more room is very much needed at this point.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

If you remove that 1 row of seats, the costs just get redistributed among the other 15000+ seats. It wouldn't be anything close to $150 for nosebleeds if the math was done honestly. And they can make money up other ways (charge more for seats vs. Philly, Red Wings, etc - less or normal amounts for the rest). There's many ways the league could manage the loss of a few hundred seats per arena. They just don't have the will to do what's right for the fans because their own money is more important to them.

AND NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED JOE.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Caption This.

"Oh God no! Please no... I'm not worth a punch. I'm actually a complete coward. I'm NAVEL LINT! Just let me go; I haven't seen your face...oh GOD no, no, no!"

Old
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Ha yeah you're right for some reason I was only thinking of body blocks.
And if we were in Game 7 of the Cup Finals and someone dives to block a shot and it goes out play resulting in a 5 on 4 or even a 5 on 3, that's a tainted way to win a game. I would hate to see that. Absolutely hate to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm all for making the ice bigger. I just don't see it happening due to seating concerns.
No doubt about it. They truly missed out on the opportunity when the lockout occurred.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The league needs to ban shot blocking gear from non goalies.

other than that Id love to find a way to reduce blocks but not sure how you do it. Maybe a zone like the crease but expanded where shots can be blocked and after that not allow except on the pk

i hate punishing the guys who are true shot blockers but something has to be done to cut down the amount going on these days as its getting out of hand
That will never happen. Even if you tried that, you'd get 2 months into the year, see 90+ players on IR with tibias, local columnists would simultaneously freak out in every market and they'd reinstate the current pads.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:41 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
If you remove that 1 row of seats, the costs just get redistributed among the other 15000+ seats. It wouldn't be anything close to $150 for nosebleeds if the math was done honestly. And they can make money up other ways (charge more for seats vs. Philly, Red Wings, etc - less or normal amounts for the rest). There's many ways the league could manage the loss of a few hundred seats per arena. They just don't have the will to do what's right for the fans because their own money is more important to them.

AND NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED JOE.

That's a very good point. You could actually fudge the math to increase revenues by adding disproportionate amounts to the seats they sell to businesses (who don't care what they pay). Plus, you can sell it to your audience as a bleeding-heart player safety measure. So, yeah, don't understand why that wouldn't be done.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Penguinzilla

It's the equipment. Players are fearless in all areas of the game now: hitting, blocking shots, etc.

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Yah but the equipment won't matter as much if you give skilled players another 3 feet of space on all sides of the ice to spread things out more. There will be many more unsuccessful block attempts IMO. Good players can wait that extra second for a player to commit to blocking, then move the puck to open space for a Morrow-like blast that shatters the confidence of opposing netminders everywhere.