HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge Thread (Home of All Things OT)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
I hope he doesn't.. He's got a ton of potential.. he's just so injury prone.
See here's my thing about that and I totally understand your reasoning though I disagree.

For sure we have the following:

Brian Quick
Chris Givens
Danny Amendola
Greg Salas

You probably can count Steve Smith if he's healthy as well.

That leaves Austin Pettis, Brandon Gibson, and Danario Alexander. If we are talking about a 6th WR, a guy who is only going to play part time anyway, why not keep the guy who has by far the highest ceiling?

Any explosive play that came from a WR not named Lloyd a year ago was Alexander. You don't need to count him on him for every down, but you can bring him in limited situations like the red zone where he brings an element that the other guys simply do not possess.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Blues0307

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
See here's my thing about that and I totally understand your reasoning though I disagree.

For sure we have the following:

Brian Quick
Chris Givens
Danny Amendola
Greg Salas

You probably can count Steve Smith if he's healthy as well.

That leaves Austin Pettis, Brandon Gibson, and Danario Alexander. If we are talking about a 6th WR, a guy who is only going to play part time anyway, why not keep the guy who has by far the highest ceiling?

Any explosive play that came from a WR not named Lloyd a year ago was Alexander. You don't need to count him on him for every down, but you can bring him in limited situations like the red zone where he brings an element that the other guys simply do not possess.
I love Danario, but if they cut him, I won't mind since I trust Fisher. The guy would've had a great career if not for the injuries, but unfortunately, it's hard to count on him. I hope he makes the team because he seems like a great guy, and as you say, he has the highest ceiling of the guys on the bubble.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Once again... trade McClellan. He's terrible.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
Once again... trade McClellan. He's terrible.
Well...he may not be traded, but he is on the DL with a bum elbow and might miss a lot of time, if not the rest of the season. He needs to get fixed and try out the arm again when healthy and then we can talk trade.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:57 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Don't know if there's any other soccer fans in here, but man is Chelsea getting lucky.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I'm liking the Cards' draft thus far. They're taking a lot of safe picks that are almost certainly signable. Wacha is one of the best pitching prospects in the draft, and could easily become a solid middle of the rotation type guy. I think they reached a little bit on Ramsey, as I don't see him ever becoming a starter. He's an all around decent player, but doesn't really have any tool that stands out at the moment. I saw a mock draft that had the Cards taking him in the second round and I was still not in favor of it. Hopefully the Cards saw something in him. My favorite pick so far is Piscotty. He honestly sounds a lot like David Freese. Only exception is that he'll probably hit for a better average, but not as much power as Freese. I like him as a player, but I don't see how he fits into the organization as it's currently constructed. Maybe in 5 years or so when Freese 34 and likely declining he'll have a shot to replace him. Baseball prospects are so difficult to project though, so who knows.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Solid so far, nothing special, but with Wacha we could have a really good rotation for years to come with him added to our already deep pool of pitching prospects. Between Piscotty and Wisdom, we have some intriguing bats that hopefully develop.

I'd like to see a shortstop at some point soon though.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Solid so far, nothing special, but with Wacha we could have a really good rotation for years to come with him added to our already deep pool of pitching prospects. Between Piscotty and Wisdom, we have some intriguing bats that hopefully develop.

I'd like to see a shortstop at some point soon though.
I like the Wacha and Piscotty pick, everything else.. meh.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Lynn had been ridiculous this season, especially his last 2 starts with 23 strikeouts.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Looks like Miller might be on the trade block. He really needs to go back to AA to get his confidence back and work on his other pitches. Should be an interesting trade deadline for the Cards.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:48 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Trading Miller because he is struggling in the first half of his first season in AAA at 21 years old would be moronic. This has Dan Haren for Mark Mulder written all over it. I really hope they keep him around. He didn't suddenly forget how to pitch in 4 months. Unless the return is something very sizable, like a number 2 starter or multiple high end relievers I would even think about it. I hope the Cards have the same thought process. We already lost Rasmus for 3 rentals and Scrabble last year. Let's not panic and trade another one of our young guys for temporary replacements. You don't have to win the World Series every single year, no need to go all in and make a short sighted deal following a World Series victory.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

He really should be sent back to AA instead of being traded. It is worrisome that he appears to be a 1 pitch pitcher. If he doesn't work on his secondary pitches, he will never make it or he will just be a reliever.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:55 PM
ChicagoBlues

I'm assuming you (MattyMo) mean that would NOT think about it. I agree with both of you.

Miller should be assisted. Maybe he needs a better catcher. Not saying his mechanics aren't a little whacked, but it is the catcher that calls the game and is supposed to keep pitchers calm and focused. Catchers are closest to the pitchers and if Miller is injured, then both of them need to take responsibility for addressing it.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:02 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I'm assuming you (MattyMo) mean that would NOT think about it. I agree with both of you.

Miller should be assisted. Maybe he needs a better catcher. Not saying his mechanics aren't a little whacked, but it is the catcher that calls the game and is supposed to keep pitchers calm and focused. Catchers are closest to the pitchers and if Miller is injured, then both of them need to take responsibility for addressing it.
Well apparently they aren't letting him shake off pitches and making him pitch what the catcher calls, so he is able to work on his other pitches. The way they are using him right now is a joke, batters are just teeing off on him. I hope he isn't too hard-headed to learn and develop.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Shelby is dating my cousin's best friend. I blame her.

Cannot wait for training camp. Healthy Danario and Brian Quick on the outside? Yes please

Old
07-13-2012, 12:36 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Shelby is dating my cousin's best friend. I blame her.

Cannot wait for training camp. Healthy Danario and Brian Quick on the outside? Yes please
Well that's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one lol. That dude has had so many surgeries, I doubt he even makes the team.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Well that's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one lol. That dude has had so many surgeries, I doubt he even makes the team.
Shhhh.....gotta have faith. He was "turning heads" at minicamp.

I still maintain that if healthy (yes I know) he's the most talented WR on the team.

As long as there is no Brandon Gibson, I'll be happy though.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:44 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Just imagine Danario if he never had an operation. No doubt in my mind that he'd be one of the top receivers in the game. His 2009 season with Mizzou was insane. Hopefully DGB can become like that.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Alklha

I don't really believe that the Cards are considering trading Miller. TBH, I think this is a combination of his struggles and the fact that Hamels might be available. Cardinals would be interested in Hamels, surely they would use Miller as a centerpiece, so people run with the theory we are considering moving him.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

There just willing to listen to offers for him, meaning he isn't untouchable, I don't think that means we plan on trading him. Only way he gets moved is if we get wowed.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Bruv
Loveless

I think they keep Miller and here's why:

Here's a couple pitchers who dominated in AA but struggled in AAA

Wainwright AA ERA: 3.37
Wainwright AAA ERA: 5.37

Garcia AA ERA: 2.06
Garcia AAA ERA: 4.44

David Price AA ERA: 1.89
David Price AAA ERA: 4.50

Matt Cain AA ERA: 3.35
Matt Cain AAA ERA: 4.39

Roy Oswalt AA ERA: 1.94
Roy Oswalt AAA ERA: 4.35

Also, Roy Halladay put up a 5.5 ERA in AAA in 73 innings as a 23 year old.

No need to worry, I think if they called Miller up now he'd do much better than in AAA. He's a better option than Kelly, IMO.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Cards traded Cox and some executives from other teams think that Miller isn't as nearly as good as expected. Turns out that our drafting in the first round still isn't that good despite having better regarded prospects.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Cards traded Cox and some executives from other teams think that Miller isn't as nearly as good as expected. Turns out that our drafting in the first round still isn't that good despite having better regarded prospects.
I think its to soon to nock miller.... he has been pitching better as of late and I believe he could still fight for a spot on the 2013 opening day roster...

As for Cox looking at it now he looks like a failed first round pick, but at the time of the draft he was the highest regarded college hitter in the draft and he fell to us at 25.... I stand by that strategy.

So far Kolten Wong looks like a fast rising stud, and looking back to 2008 Brett Wallace turned out to be a good pick for the cardinals because we traded him at the peak of his value to pick up Matt Holliday....

Say what you want about Ottavino and Kozma those picks have proven with time to be failures but The jury is still out for Miller, thats for sure.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Tyler Greene, Daric Barton etc. The drafting really does need to improve.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

The MLB draft is more of a crapshoot than any other draft.

Shelby Miller is still considered a top prospect by most lists that I've seen. (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/)
Kolten Wong is considered a top 2B prospect.
Lance Lynn has been lights out.
Chris Perez was a solid pick. As was Rasmus.
Daric Barton panned out decently well
Even players like Cox and Wallace were used to better the team.

There have been busts. But what team do you consider to have better drafting than the Cardinals in the first round?

Teams like the Yankees have hit on three players since 2000: Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Ian Kennedy (who only played 14 games total).
The Red Sox? Ellsbury, Bard, David Murphy, Jed Lowrie, and Clay Buchholz.
Tampa, who has been picking near the top for most of the decade has Price, Longoria, Baldelli, Upton, Delmon Young, and Jeff Niemann. Sure, that's better than the Cardinals, but the Cards were picking in the 20s, while the Rays were in the teens or earlier.

Last edited by bluesfan94: 08-01-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Closed Thread