HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you take Carle back?

View Poll Results: Would you like to re-sign carle?
Yes 38 23.60%
No 123 76.40%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
I can't believe how overrated Carle is. He was clearly the worst defenseman in his own end for this team. Infact, he has been whenever he hasn't been paired with a HOF defenseman named Pronger

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Both carle and suter will be ufas....Homer can evaluate both players and their demands and try to sign the one he wants...maybe he'll trade for negotiating rights before nash would lose him...he's done that before...with the same GM on the other side. A long term deal, which Suter has claimed he is seeking, may allow for a cap hit/aav of less than 7mm per yr..

While there are a number of different scenarios possible, if a decision is to be made of signing carle at 5+ or suter at <7 AAV, I'd take Suter...
Yeah I know Holmgren has traded for negotiating rights before. I remember Timonen and Hartnell. Know who else I remember? Hamhuis.

Did you read my post above? Carle and Suter are not going to wait for Holmgren to take his time to deliberate which one of them he wants at what price. Once free agency begins and teams start trying to out bid each other, the price goes up and up and up. You can sign Carle to a reasonable deal now or risk losing out on both of them and I would like to emphasize again that I don't see a scenerio in which Suter gets less than 7 mill a year. If people thought this defense looked bad with Carle they are in for a nasty surprise once Gus and Bourdon are logging 20 minutes a night.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
If people thought this defense looked bad with Carle they are in for a nasty surprise once Gus and Bourdon are logging 20 minutes a night.
disagree, the league is full of Dmen that are just a good trade away.. you dont need to only look at UFA's..

if Carle walks (god i hope so), then Homer simply picks up the phone and widens his search..

its not as if we have ZERO options but to keep the jackoff that is Carle..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
disagree, the league is full of Dmen that are just a good trade away.. you dont need to only look at UFA's..

if Carle walks (god i hope so), then Homer simply picks up the phone and widens his search..

its not as if we have ZERO options but to keep the jackoff that is Carle..
Disagree, apparently Carle and Suter are the only available D men this year . So I think 8 yrs, 44 million is the way to go for Carle.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:47 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Yeah I know Holmgren has traded for negotiating rights before. I remember Timonen and Hartnell. Know who else I remember? Hamhuis.

Did you read my post above? Carle and Suter are not going to wait for Holmgren to take his time to deliberate which one of them he wants at what price. Once free agency begins and teams start trying to out bid each other, the price goes up and up and up. You can sign Carle to a reasonable deal now or risk losing out on both of them and I would like to emphasize again that I don't see a scenerio in which Suter gets less than 7 mill a year. If people thought this defense looked bad with Carle they are in for a nasty surprise once Gus and Bourdon are logging 20 minutes a night.
When has Holmgren ever taken his time to deliberate? Homer is all about being first to market. The only time he didn't panic and make a move was this past season when all the D went down. He actually rode the rookies for a while, but still ultimately was the first to make a move approaching the deadline.

Kimmo and Hartnell - before FA
Briere - just after FA
Leighton - night before FA
Meszaros - 30 min before FA
Bryzgalov - before FA
Hamhuis, Nabokov, Turco (rumored) - before FA

Homer historically has little patience. He decides what he needs and he goes and does it. More often than not being first to market is really good, or really bad.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Disagree, apparently Carle and Suter are the only available D men this year . So I think 8 yrs, 44 million is the way to go for Carle.
lol what a bargain, lets find another dman to offer that same deal to..

Old
05-17-2012, 03:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
So, you're happy with Carle getting top minutes then? And you're happy with the flyers d as is?
I'm more concerned with how Pronger and Timonen are replaced.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
fauxflex

Quote:

Im ok with a reasonable deal for Carle....I just dont want him being signed here for big bucks as the defacto #1 / top minute guy. I'm not one of these guys who wants to see Carle gone, regardless of his demands...but I dont want to see the flyers overpay and hitch their wagon to a guy playing out of his depth...with Pronger dunzo and Timo soon to follow, the Flyers need a #1...I hope the flyers plan isn't to keep Carle playing #1 type minutes and hope for the best...

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:14 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'm more concerned with how Pronger and Timonen are replaced.
If the stats indicate that the d was solid and Carle, its top minute guy, is considered by some to be "elite" and/or one of the best ES d men in the league...why not Carle as your #1?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-20-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: No
Old
05-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Go For It

Quote:
If the stats indicate that the d was solid and Carle, its top minute guy, is considered by some to be "elite" and/or one of the best ES d men in the league...why not Carle as your #1?
I don't think anyone's claiming Carle's a #1 or a replacement for Kimmo/Pronger.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-20-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
He is a top minute guy. He needs other top minute guys to play with when Timonen retired and Meszaros is probably traded.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-20-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old
05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Larry44

Quote:
He is a top minute guy. He needs other top minute guys to play with when Timonen retired and Meszaros is probably traded.
Thank you. It's not like anyone is pushing Carle for the Norris, but he's a workhorse who logs a lot of tough minutes against a lot of great players. He consistently defends well, with positioning, a good stick and shot blocking. He takes hits to make plays and he uses his body occasionally, but more would be good. He turns the puck over trying to do too much with it. Oh well, he has the puck on his stick every shift and mostly makes good smart plays. He steps up in OT to set up goals and scores now and again.

The problem with letting him walk is that there is no better option that is realistic - assuming that Suter will have many suitors who have more cap room to offer than we'll be able to muster.

We need to replace Timonen/Pronger at the #1/2, but in the meantime, a lot of teams would kill to have Coburn, Carle, Meszaros, Grossmann as their 2-5 Dmen.... esp. with Gus, Bourdon and Lilja as 6-8.

We've got a good D corps, and Matt Carle is a big part of it - by any measure.

It doesn't really matter what his detractors say, his biggest supporters are the GM who wants to keep him, and the coach who looks down his bench and calls his number time and time again....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Again, why the **** is Meszaros being traded before Carle? I'd take him over Carle anyday. Face it, Carle is the odd man out. There are a number of guys that can do his job cheaper.

This is Matt Carle.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Again, why the **** is Meszaros being traded before Carle? I'd take him over Carle anyday. Face it, Carle is the odd man out. There are a number of guys that can do his job cheaper.
Quite the contrary, actually it sounds like they're going to do whatever they feel they have to do to keep him. Might be a rude awakening for some. I'll have the popcorn ready when the thread is made

Old
05-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I can live with it if he doesn't have a NTC and there is no shot at Suter.

05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I can live with it if he doesn't have a NTC and there is no shot at Suter.
Yeah a no NTC would sting. I do think there is a realistic shot at Suter but I'd give us maybe a 1 in 4 chance. If that's the case, instead of putting all my eggs in the Suter basket I would rather have Carle signed, and if Suter seems interested trade Meszaros (don't know why everyone has Meszaros as so much more valuable than Carle. If anything they are the same value and Meszaros wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his play before he got hurt...).

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Well, it's likely because Mez has a good shot and actually plays physically.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post

This is Matt Carle.
every game all game long...

that is basicly what you get with Carle is right...

Old
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

He is not a top 4 D. If we sign him cheap and stick him with less minutes I do not see why we wouldn't.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Of course he's a top4 D-man. He's not the type of D-man that is capable of carrying a lesser D-partner and making him look way better.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Well, it's likely because Mez has a good shot and actually plays physically.
Mez actually grades out significantly better than Carle in some of the advanced stats I've been looking at lately...

For all the talk (from a few) of how supposedly great Carle is 5 on 5, Mez was actually 3rd in the NHL in points per 60 mins on ice (5v5), behind only Karlsson and Letang...Timonen is 10th...Carle comes in at 17th...

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...+4+6+7+8+20+10

I think Mez is a keeper if he's fully healthy...that back thing scares me a bit. We need healthy horses...that's one thing about Carle, he's been a durable player.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

if Carle resigns here hes getting a NTC. Holmgren gives those out like he gives away 2nd round picks.
6 million per and a full NTC. I can see it now.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:32 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Not sure what you mean with this, why would you disagree about a post that is encouraging looking elsewhere but to Carle?

But if you were in fact genuine, that is a horrible contract.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:33 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

The way to look at it is this: is a top 4 of Mez, Coburn, Carle, Grossman -- long term -- good enough to win you a Cup? I don't think it is. Granted, they could trade someone (probably Mez) or one of these guys could be playing 3rd pairing (expensive), but if they sign Carle, that's our defensive core.

I don't really have anything against Carle -- I think he's better than people here say but he's far from all-world -- but I really don't think that those 4 as your 1-4 can win a Cup. Knowing Holmgren, though, our D is not going to look like that.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:52 AM
BillDineen

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote