HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2012, 04:24 PM
  #1001
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,973
vCash: 500
I'm looking at Sisson's stats only as I've never seen him play.. but 41 points in each of the past two seasons? What's so special about him? Even Luca Caputi & Jonathan Filewich had better production in their draft year.

Jacob is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
  #1002
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'm looking at Sisson's stats only as I've never seen him play.. but 41 points in each of the past two seasons? What's so special about him? Even Luca Caputi & Jonathan Filewich had better production in their draft year.
Haven't heard that name in a long time, poor guy had to retire due to injury.

wej20 is online now  
Old
05-17-2012, 06:07 PM
  #1003
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
I've never really seen any prospect in this year's draft play.

I'm sure Shero will pick a decent player at 22 and if Sissons is available and not taken by the Penguins, then he probably wasn't the best player for this team.

To me, Sissons can be a future top 6 RW or 3rd line center. He's a young leader being named captain of his WHL squad at age 17. He's a strong two way player who seems like he would fit the Pens.

The back to back 41 point seasons shouldn't be a concern, if he can convert that to the NHL, he can be a player like Staal.

EDIT: Or if he reaches his potential, he could be a player like Ryan Kesler or Mike Richards.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 06:18 PM
  #1004
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
The back to back 41 point seasons shouldn't be a concern,
Why not? When was the last time someone scored 41 points in their second-to-last junior season and went on to be a top-6 NHLer? Or even an NHLer at all?

Jacob is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 06:19 PM
  #1005
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I've never really seen any prospect in this year's draft play.

I'm sure Shero will pick a decent player at 22 and if Sissons is available and not taken by the Penguins, then he probably wasn't the best player for this team.

To me, Sissons can be a future top 6 RW or 3rd line center. He's a young leader being named captain of his WHL squad at age 17. He's a strong two way player who seems like he would fit the Pens.

The back to back 41 point seasons shouldn't be a concern, if he can convert that to the NHL, he can be a player like Staal.

EDIT: Or if he reaches his potential, he could be a player like Ryan Kesler or Mike Richards.
I'm judging and making comparisons entirely by stats alone -- but I'd be worried about him producing so little and hoping he translates into players like Staal or Mike Richards. Both those guys put up good junior numbers, with Richards actually putting up "star" numbers.

I realize points aren't the be-all, but at the same time I think they can be a reflection of how much ability a player has at a given level. A player who can only produce 41 points in junior doesn't suggest someone who'll ever put up more than 20 to 30 points in the NHL (at best).

Heck, even players who maxed out as "checkers" in the NHL put up good junior totals (ie. Pascal Dupuis, Matt Cooke, Max Talbot). So for a guy to put up so little concerns me about his ability to be anything more than a 3rd or 4th line player (see: Manny Malhotra's junior totals as an example). Which is fine if you're taking him with your 3rd round pick or beyond -- not so fine, IMO, if you're spending a 1st or even 2nd round pick on him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 06:25 PM
  #1006
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
While I agree with what you guys are saying, and I do like Sissons but wouldn't mind Shero selecting a better player that's available.

But why is Sissons projected to go in the 1st round if there are questions about his NHL future?

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
  #1007
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
While I agree with what you guys are saying, and I do like Sissons but wouldn't mind Shero selecting a better player that's available.

But why is Sissons projected to go in the 1st round if there are questions about his NHL future?
Probably because he's a "safe" prospect, like guys like Colton Gillies or Manny Malhotra? He might never be a star, but perhaps he's got a game that is as close to a guarantee to be a 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL. It's the same reason a guy like Tom Wilson is rated so high, despite the fact he hasn't really shown the kind of offensive upside you'd want in a first rounder.

Another thing that just turned me off him further is his age. He's actually a late '93 birthdate, so he's actually had a full extra year development than a lot of the other players in the draft (those born in 1994), and yet he still hasn't blossomed offensively. That kind of scares me.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
  #1008
PenguinTommy
Registered User
 
PenguinTommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zvolen
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
It's been talk that Sissons is the most NHL ready prospect from the second half of 1st round.

Maybe his transition from Juniors to NHL would be smoother than other prospects with better numbers..IDK

PenguinTommy is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
  #1009
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal
 
SCUDeriMISSILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,136
vCash: 500
Safe is dead. I'd rather we target top-6 or bust guys like we did with Bennett. Especially with picking in the 20-30 range.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 07:11 PM
  #1010
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,853
vCash: 500
It'd be nice to snag Gusev in the 2nd. Super-skilled RH Russkie center?

Yuuuuuuuup (check out the hands at 1:00):


Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 07:46 PM
  #1011
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
It's been talk that Sissons is the most NHL ready prospect from the second half of 1st round.
So he's Manny Malhotra. Great.

Jacob is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
  #1012
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 33,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
1k+ need a new thread

ColePens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.