HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please be true (possibility of new asst. coaches)

Old
05-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
Please be true (possibility of new asst. coaches)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...evMyFVjgp7vLYF

Looks like we may have some new assistants next season. This article mentions that Mike Ricci and Bryan Marchment could both potentially be good candidates for the roles. What do you guys think? Would that be too risky or would it be better to get some experienced coaches? I'm really not sure but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
I know close to nothing about assistant politics, but hiring one of those guys (I'd prefer Ricci) and then someone with more experience might be the way to go.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:51 PM
KirbyDots

This is exactly what I had been saying should happen. Really hope Ricci gets the nod, the players are all familiar with him already and he brings experience as a vet and champion. That and if Ricci could instill half of his grit and heart into the team we would be much better off. That being said, I think they need to bring in someone else as well with more coaching experience with the only risk there being conflict or tension with Koala, but that shouldn't be a problem. Something needs to give with our current system, too formulaic and predictable. I'm a fan of TM but new blood will do him good to get the team back on track.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

There is nothing new in that article that indicates we know anymore than yesterday. The assistants may stay and they add another one or they are replaced.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM
PondShark

I hope Ricci is behind the bench next year. That guy, to this day, is still so ****ing awesome.

However, both would be too much inexperience behind the bench. We need TM (organization, Game Plan, PP), Ricci(Motivation), and Havi(PK/Defense).

DW Make it Happen!

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PondShark View Post
I hope Ricci is behind the bench next year. That guy, to this day, is still so ****ing awesome.

However, both would be too much inexperience behind the bench. We need TM (organization, Game Plan, PP), Ricci(Motivation), and Havi(PK/Defense).

DW Make it Happen!
Haviland does not have any sort of credentials to make one believe he is a successful defensive/PK coach in this league.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Haviland does not have any sort of credentials to make one believe he is a successful defensive/PK coach in this league.
I'm not buying into the Haviland hype either.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Speed

Ok guys I'm looking for help understanding the discussions about firing asst coaches and not the HC.

Doesn't the HC control everything - even how the PK and PP are run (at a higher level obviously)? I can't see an AC telling the HC "this is how I'm running it" without buy-in/sign-off. To me right now they just seem like scapegoats and band-aid fixes where the problem lies with the HC. I could believe chemistry for changes to the AC's, but I think it's the HC's system whether PP, PK, or even.

BTW I've seen Marchment and Ricci behind the bench in Worcester a number of times and I think they'd do a good job permanately behind there. But as far as behind the bench blame I'm thinking the fingers are not fully pointed where they should be.

Feel free to disagree with me - not looking for an argument but would appreciate help understanding.

Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Mrguy17

Ricci would be awesome, just to see his grizzled mug on tv for brief moments behind the bench would make next season that much more enjoyable.
Get Ricci in as a bench coach!

Mrguy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Ok guys I'm looking for help understanding the discussions about firing asst coaches and not the HC.

Doesn't the HC control everything - even how the PK and PP are run (at a higher level obviously)? I can't see an AC telling the HC "this is how I'm running it" without buy-in/sign-off. To me right now they just seem like scapegoats and band-aid fixes where the problem lies with the HC. I could believe chemistry for changes to the AC's, but I think it's the HC's system whether PP, PK, or even.

BTW I've seen Marchment and Ricci behind the bench in Worcester a number of times and I think they'd do a good job permanately behind there. But as far as behind the bench blame I'm thinking the fingers are not fully pointed where they should be.

Feel free to disagree with me - not looking for an argument but would appreciate help understanding.

I think the concept is that the HC's don't control everything and thus they give responsibilities of certain areas to the AC's. Inevitably, whether he does or doesn't control everything, he is to blame in the same way that DW is to blame because he is the one that put the team together and McLellan is the one that put the staff together.

From what I can tell, they let the AC's focus on a particular side and confer with the HC and come to a consensus of what to do and what to focus on and the AC goes back to the players and executes the plan.

You are right to some extent that it is somewhat pointing in the wrong direction. I saw enough of these AC's when McLellan was out with that concussion. They are a problem. If you buy into what McLellan reportedly does which is even strength and PP, he has been a success. So it's possible that with assistants that can handle the PK and maybe get someone to tell McLellan to sit your God damn starter a little more then you might see results.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I have a suspicion here.

Ricci may be brought forward to the bench to be the eventual replacement of Todd if he chokes in the middle of the next season. If not, he'll get the experience and go on and be the later replacement

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:02 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:

Just because Todd is the head coach, doesn't mean that he is the most knowledgeable person in the orginization about every aspect of the game.

Take it to another sport. In football, an offensive coordinator is hired as a head coach. In his first year the defense is horrible. Do you fire him or the defensive coordinator? Yes, the head coach is ultimately responsible, but it's clear that you need a better defensive coordinator.

DW is putting together a team of teams. A team on the ice, a team behind the bench, a team in the scouting department....etc. If these reports are correct, he has decided that Todd is the right person to head the coaching staff, but Todd needs assistants that are stronger in certain areas than the current assistants. PK being the most obvious area.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:10 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

There are assistants who are notable in skills. Ramsay is a fantastic hired gun as an offensive AC and does make a difference with multiple different teams 5on5 and PP. He is not a good HC. Unfortunately most hired guns that are good become HC's even if they are failures as HC's.

TM is strictly an offensive coach and it is pretty obvious that there are issues with their defensive style as it has been getting progressively worse whether it be PK or 5on5. If TM confesses ignorance in this area and is open to help, then it is up to DW to find help and not assess blame.

For others above,
I like Ricci. But liking him and liking his heart/grit is not a qualifier for being an AC. Intelligence is. He was never a speed guy. Does he understand the need for speed and associated strategies in the new NHL? Does he have any experience in forming game plans? For me and in reading his career, Ricci is a guy for lockerroom conflict, a peacemaker, more than anything else.

I am pretty sure that Ricci and Marchment have been around enough to understand the work level needed for ACs in today's NHL. Are they willing to commit to that?

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:22 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

I agree with you totally, if that wasn't obvious. The AC's are the HC's responsibility, and I unless T-Mac is the one doing the firing (little late...) with no input from DW (doubtful) I see it as a pretty desperate act.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

anyone is better than dumb and dumber

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:08 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Would Tom Renney be any good as assistant coach?

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Would Tom Renney be any good as assistant coach?
Only one season as AC. Very conservative approach to the game. Well liked and a good guy for not absolutely crushing young players.

I'd take him as an HC for a young team not expected to do anything and to learn defense. Move on from him as the team evolved.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:24 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Only one season as AC. Very conservative approach to the game. Well liked and a good guy for not absolutely crushing young players.

I'd take him as an HC for a young team not expected to do anything and to learn defense. Move on from him as the team evolved.
I don't know his forte as a coach. Can he fix the PK? Can he tweek the 5 on 5 offense for more GF?? My gut tells me he's not got a specific talent to help with the Sharks team needs. We don't need a teaching coach who is conservative if this is his forte.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:36 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I don't know his forte as a coach. Can he fix the PK? Can he tweek the 5 on 5 offense for more GF?? My gut tells me he's not got a specific talent to help with the Sharks team needs. We don't need a teaching coach who is conservative if this is his forte.
You lose GF with Renney. Might improve PK. He'd be good for TO, Carolina or Minny as an HC.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:44 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

I take it the Oil firing him is a sign that they think they're ready to compete and make the playoffs?

Personally, I don't care how many talented offensive 18-year-olds you throw on a team, it's not a good plan.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I take it the Oil firing him is a sign that they think they're ready to compete and make the playoffs?

Personally, I don't care how many talented offensive 18-year-olds you throw on a team, it's not a good plan.
He's a good starting point for teaching them to play defense. He won't let vets crush youngsters. And he will stand up to vets. But he really loses it on the offensive side of the puck and will sacrifice too much offense for defense.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:55 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
He's a good starting point for teaching them to play defense. He won't let vets crush youngsters. And he will stand up to vets. But he really loses it on the offensive side of the puck and will sacrifice too much offense for defense.
Wasn't there some big rift in the Edmonton lockerroom earlier this season between the vets and the kids on the Oilers?

Old
05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Wasn't there some big rift in the Edmonton lockerroom earlier this season between the vets and the kids on the Oilers?
And the kids won. Needs to happen more often around the league. There are a lot of vets more interested in protecting their status/TOI than truly mentoring.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:06 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
And the kids won. Needs to happen more often around the league. There are a lot of vets more interested in protecting their status/TOI than truly mentoring.
I think I see where this is going.

Thanks bud.