HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
No problem at all, my pleasure It's great to see that there are still a few Bruins fans who care about how he's doing! I really hope he'll give the NHL another shot, he definitely has the talent and the skills! What I like most about him, I gotta say, is that he's somehow even better live than when you watch him on TV. His speed and size are impressive, he's just radiant (in lack of a better word) and dominates whenever he's on the ice. The way he sacrifices himself for the team is great, and his defensive work is amazing. When he does decide to join the Bruins, I'm sure you're gonna love him as much as we do in Linköping and Malmö

Thanks for the updates.

I'm one of those strange Bruins fans who would like to see Soderberg come to a training camp to see how he compares to other players on the roster.

It would be great if he can help the team and enjoy living and playing in North America for a while.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Choo-DEE-nov...

They'll get him over at some point, but may take another couple of years...just no room for the guy right now and the team can't afford to guarantee him a spot sight unseen after the ****show Yury Alexandrov was for them.

Kirk--how does Chudinov's situation compare to the news about Khoklachev?

Will AK develop in the KHL or will the Bruins find a way to guarantee him a contract?

Old
05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Alan Ryan

The Bruins prospect camp will be on despite other teams canceling their camps due to the uncertainty of the CBA negotiations.

From Joe Haggerty at csnne:

The Bruins have indicated they play to move ahead with their prospect camp despite the CBA uncertainty likely to be surrounding them. The B’s have tentatively scheduled the camp to take place prior to the July 4 holiday almost immediately after the NHL draft in Pittsburgh during the last weekend of June.

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...6&feedID=10944

Old
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
The Bruins prospect camp will be on despite other teams canceling their camps due to the uncertainty of the CBA negotiations.

The Bruins have indicated they play to move ahead with their prospect camp despite the CBA uncertainty likely to be surrounding them. The B’s have tentatively scheduled the camp to take place prior to the July 4 holiday almost immediately after the NHL draft in Pittsburgh during the last weekend of June.

thanks! Time to plan a day off..

I am Boston Strong

Old
05-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post

Why would teams cancel development camp? That makes no sense at all. To what purpose?

Old
05-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

KoKo could opt for the KHL...it's possible. He's spent two seasons in the OHL, and he can't play in the AHL next season, even if he wanted to. He's not getting any real money playing for Windsor, and even if he signs an ELC with Boston, he still won't unless he makes the NHL club right away in the fall.

I suppose it will come down to a couple of things: does Boston aggressively try to sign him and ask that he stay in the OHL one more year, or allow him to opt into the KHL, but with a signed NHL contract? There seems to be real danger with just letting him sign with the KHL, though. Because he was drafted out of the CHL, they have to sign him before June 1, 2013 or lose him back into the draft. They probably need to sign him before he inks a deal with a KHL team (HC Spartak), who could then own his rights/services when that signing deadline came up and could try to extract some kind of transfer fee from Boston.

All seems kind of complicated to me, and there may be an angle I am missing. However, I don't believe the Bruins would have spent an early 2nd rounder on him if he didn't give them every indication that he would commit to what they wanted from him. Kids can always change their minds, I suppose, but if KoKo bolts, you Russian hockey fans out there can kiss the chance that the Bruins ever draft another kid from there again goodbye.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
KoKo could opt for the KHL...it's possible. He's spent two seasons in the OHL, and he can't play in the AHL next season, even if he wanted to. He's not getting any real money playing for Windsor, and even if he signs an ELC with Boston, he still won't unless he makes the NHL club right away in the fall.

I suppose it will come down to a couple of things: does Boston aggressively try to sign him and ask that he stay in the OHL one more year, or allow him to opt into the KHL, but with a signed NHL contract? There seems to be real danger with just letting him sign with the KHL, though. Because he was drafted out of the CHL, they have to sign him before June 1, 2013 or lose him back into the draft. They probably need to sign him before he inks a deal with a KHL team (HC Spartak), who could then own his rights/services when that signing deadline came up and could try to extract some kind of transfer fee from Boston.

All seems kind of complicated to me, and there may be an angle I am missing. However, I don't believe the Bruins would have spent an early 2nd rounder on him if he didn't give them every indication that he would commit to what they wanted from him. Kids can always change their minds, I suppose, but if KoKo bolts, you Russian hockey fans out there can kiss the chance that the Bruins ever draft another kid from there again goodbye.
I hope hes at D-Camp and can clarify the comments. Also if he signs an ELC doesn't the transfer agreement with the KHL prevent him from playing over there?

Old
05-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:

Thanks Kirk!

I'm hoping they sign him soon and he agrees to go to the OHL for one more year. My gut says that he will stay in NA. He's made tough decisions before as I have faith he will take the same approach here and do what is best for himself first and foremost.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I hope hes at D-Camp and can clarify the comments. Also if he signs an ELC doesn't the transfer agreement with the KHL prevent him from playing over there?
Unless I'm mistaken, the NHL-KHL Agreement is valid only to the end of this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would make a big difference in the Kokhlachev negotiations.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Only effective until June 30, 2012 unless they renew it.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Only effective until June 30, 2012 unless they renew it.
Well I guess we'll see him and Chudinov in 13-14

Old
05-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Well I guess we'll see him and Chudinov in 13-14

I'm a Koko fan, but does anyone actually expect him to make the Bruins this fall? And he won't be eligible for Providence this year or next. I have no idea what he plans to do, junior or Russia, but either way, he's not going to be with the Bruins before the fall of 2013 at the earliest.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm a Koko fan, but does anyone actually expect him to make the Bruins this fall? And he won't be eligible for Providence this year or next. I have no idea what he plans to do, junior or Russia, but either way, he's not going to be with the Bruins before the fall of 2013 at the earliest.
No but the thing i'm worried about is getting him to come back over.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Why would teams cancel development camp? That makes no sense at all. To what purpose?

Not sure why but the article indicates that "a number of them" have already been cancelled.

I'm pleased the Bruins will have their camp.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
If I'm him I sign with Boston in June and go to prospect camp this year, bolt the CHL during the Summer, sign in Russia for 2 years and come back to Boston in 2014 and win a roster spot
He's a pretty driven kid and is not Euro soft so I'm not worried about him not coming back

Old
05-18-2012, 02:41 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Sounds like there are mitigating circumstances all of a sudden with Koko...like he's being torn in different directions...As long as he signs his ELC I will be able to relax...if he doesn't, and signs with the KHL, I would assume he will play his UFA rights in a couple years...

One thing we know about Chia is that he is as calculated as anyone...He would never have passed on guys like Saad and Ritchie had he not gotten assurances from koko's camp...I could picture him punching some walls after reading that article.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Sounds like there are mitigating circumstances all of a sudden with Koko...like he's being torn in different directions...As long as he signs his ELC I will be able to relax...if he doesn't, and signs with the KHL, I would assume he will play his UFA rights in a couple years...

One thing we know about Chia is that he is as calculated as anyone...He would never have passed on guys like Saad and Ritchie had he not gotten assurances from koko's camp...I could picture him punching some walls after reading that article.
Well, the question is, what is Koko's "camp"?

My son's the same age as Koko. Looking at the situation as a parent, I would have been worried about my kid crossing an ocean to play hockey in the first place. Then he gets hurt with what must have been a terrifying injury (Can you imagine THAT phone call? "Mrs. Kokhlachev, your son is in the hospital with a lacerated kidney... hello? Hello?" I would have had a heart attack if that was my kid.). So if I was his mom, yeah, I'd want him home.

But... I have no idea if that's the case. It's possible his dad (who's the one quoted in the article) wants his son to take a great offer and cash in. Maybe he wants to force the Bruins' hand, get him signed, AND get an agreement for him to play in the KHL until he's old enough/experience enough for the NHL.

Maybe Koko agrees with that. Or, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he's shaking his head at all of this and saying he wants to stay in the OHL, don't speak for me, dad, I never agreed to any of this!

Who knows? We'll probably have to wait until development camp before we find out.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:56 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

Whether Koko stays in NA or not, passing on Saad to select him was a big mistake imo. I kind of thought so at the time and definitely now after the year Saad had.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
nowayguy
Maybe Next Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Whether Koko stays in NA or not, passing on Saad to select him was a big mistake imo. I kind of thought so at the time and definitely now after the year Saad had.
Meh, they haven't even an NHL game yet. Not to mention, the Bruins weren't the only team to pass on him.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Ratty

[QUOTE=DaaaaB's;49870951]Whether Koko stays in NA or not, passing on Saad to select him was a big mistake imo. I kind of thought so at the time and definitely now after the year Saad had.[/QUOTE..]" I kind of thought so at the time". Hindsight or recorded opposition at the time to the selection?

I personally would have selected Logan Couture over Dorothy Hamill. But that's just me ...three years after the draft.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:11 PM
toomanymen

Quote:

Kirk my question for you is this. For those who haven't seen him in person, and I did this year when Windsor came to London, can you give your perspective on his size or lack thereof? I was stunned at how small he was. He and Max Domi would be a good comparison. Given that, anyone who thinks he plays in the NHL is in a different world than me. Your thoughts please?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen View Post
Kirk my question for you is this. For those who haven't seen him in person, and I did this year when Windsor came to London, can you give your perspective on his size or lack thereof? I was stunned at how small he was. He and Max Domi would be a good comparison. Given that, anyone who thinks he plays in the NHL is in a different world than me. Your thoughts please?
I was stunned at how small Theoren Fleury was when I met him.

Size isn't everything. Khokhlachev has excellent hands, vision & instincts to compensate for the lack of size and pure speed. Whether he can make an impact in the NHL remains to be seen, but guys smaller than he is have found ways to become players.

I don't really have much to say other than that-- I don't have a crystal ball to see into the future and know whether he becomes an impact NHLer or not, but he has the skill and attitude to have a shot, IMO.

I would just relax and let it play out-- keep your observations in the back of your mind because there might be something to them. You might be right, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time wondering about it. IMO-- KoKo has the skill to go the distance and potentially be a top-six forward, size be damned. But that's just my view-- you're welcome to have your doubts, but if you're looking for some kind of affirmation, sorry but I'm not too concerned about the size.

I will say that he was not all that impressive in the Islanders rookie games, but those were just two games. He did make some nice plays that only a small group of players can make-- they just didn't pan out in the form of goals. Still, you could see the talent even if he didn't shine like some of the other 2011 draft picks like Ryan Strome and Dougie Hamilton did.

Nobody is going to solve the world's problems in one day, nor are we going to get a definitive answer on KoKo for a few years yet.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 05-19-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old
05-19-2012, 05:23 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I was stunned at how small Theoren Fleury was when I met him.

Size isn't everything. Khokhlachev has excellent hands, vision & instincts to compensate for the lack of size and pure speed. Whether he can make an impact in the NHL remains to be seen, but guys smaller than he is have found ways to become players.

I don't really have much to say other than that-- I don't have a crystal ball to see into the future and know whether he becomes an impact NHLer or not, but he has the skill and attitude to have a shot, IMO.

Don't take this the wrong way-- but I've noticed that you seem to want to make judgments on guys before they ever really challenge for NHL jobs. You did it with Jared Knight, and now you're hitting me up about KoKo after what, having seen him play once live?

My advice to you is to just relax-- keep your observations in the back of your mind and let things play out. You might be right, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time wondering about it. IMO-- KoKo has the skill to go the distance and potentially be a top-six forward, size be damned. But that's just my view-- you're welcome to have your doubts, but if you're looking for some kind of affirmation, sorry but I'm not too concerned about the size.

Nobody is going to solve the world's problems in one day, nor are we going to get a definitive answer on KoKo for a few years yet.
No Expectations but here`s my opinion Kirk

Hamilton- Year 1- 88pts, Calder Trophy
Knight- Year 1- Calder runner up to Hamilton- 87pts
Koko- Year 1 (2013) Calder Trophy- 80pts

and Spooner, crud first year with merely 70pts

Bruins outscore opponents 409- 24

Book It

Like I said, nothing but realistic expectations here

Expectations are just premeditated resentments, I`ll choose to hold my opinions on any of the 3 above, I "think" we could have something special in Dougie, I "think" the potential is there for Spoons to be a blast to watch as a playmaker, I "think" Knight has future fan/coach favourite written all over him but......

Old
05-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Mike B.

Quote:

Can the Bruins sign him to an ELC and then loan him to KHL?

Old
05-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
Can the Bruins sign him to an ELC and then loan him to KHL?
I believe so. There is a transfer agreement in place until June 30, 2012 but even if that is not renewed, I understand that the NHL team and can work any deal they want with a KHL club. The transfer agreement is more to prevent the KHL from poaching NHL players under contract like what happened with Alexander Radulov in 2008. KoKo signing an ELC would put him in that category, but not sure about how much enforcement oomph is behind the memorandum of agreement.

The issue is more whether the club's wishes will be honored by the KHL club when/if the player sent over is to be returned for a chance to make the club down the road. There is always a risk involved when dealing with some of the teams/personalities across the ocean.

The law is pretty complex when dealing with situations like this because you're dealing with international entities who aren't forced to honor contracts that would be binding in U.S. courts, so not sure how it all works myself.

Bottom line: Bruins can do it, but they'd have to make a leap of faith that Spartak would release him back when Boston wanted him. Once he's over there, you're risking the possibility of the team demanding compensation not originally agreed upon or other complications such as KoKo deciding he'd just rather stay home and bank more coin if he's comfortable over there.

Closed Thread