HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2012, 10:41 PM
tserberis*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Let's be blunt. If Suter leaves despite all that has transpired here this year, it would see to me that he won't be leaving for a winnner, or for money... He will be leaving to get out of Shea's shadow. IMO it would all be ego. (Remember this is hypothetical... If he doesn't leave then none of the above is valid at all)
At least we will have some one to boo our ***** off on him and throw some fish intenses on his head for bull****ing...

Old
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
maplepred

If capitas miss playoffs I wonder if some big changes will be coming finally in offseason?

Any chance predators could acquire backstrom??

Old
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
maplepred

In regards to my last post about backstrom.
Now that I hear Washington is in playoffs we will have to wait to see if they go out first round to see if they will shake up roster I suppose.

But just say they go out first round which is very likely playing nyr probably. And we are hearing trotzy say Wilson could very well be on the block do you think any chance this deal could happen?

Colin Wilson, Jon Blum, anders Lindback and 2013 first round pick for backstrom?

Old
05-16-2012, 07:06 AM
maplepred

So in hindsight, do you guys think it was worth giving up a first and two seconds for gaustad, gill, and ak46?

Still wish we could have nabbed Carter now, especially after his hat trick last night and suter most likely walking....

Hindsight is 20/20

Old
05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
So in hindsight, do you guys think it was worth giving up a first and two seconds for gaustad, gill, and ak46?

Still wish we could have nabbed Carter now, especially after his hat trick last night and suter most likely walking....

Hindsight is 20/20
I thought it was a lot to give up back then. Still seems like it was a lot to give up. If it was enough to keep Suter happy and not walk then it would be good enough. Doesn't look like it was.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:

Hindsight is 20/20
carter wasnt coming to us, because we are in the same division as CBJ.

even though it didnt pan out I like it very much that we were in "go for it" mode this year

we wont miss those picks for at least 4 years. and if Poile is his usual self with lower round picks, we probably wont miss them at all.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
maplepred

A lot of people were saying parise may be available at deadline. Or we should get him as ufa this offseason. With the run the devils are putting out I bet he stays in nj.

What would you guys think of radulov and semin playing for us next season?? I just question how much heart either has.

I doubt ak46 or gill come back, but after throwing a first away for gaustad and he played good enough for us, maybe we can retain his rights? Wonder how much he will command salary wise

Old
05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
A lot of people were saying parise may be available at deadline. Or we should get him as ufa this offseason. With the run the devils are putting out I bet he stays in nj.

What would you guys think of radulov and semin playing for us next season?? I just question how much heart either has.

I doubt ak46 or gill come back, but after throwing a first away for gaustad and he played good enough for us, maybe we can retain his rights? Wonder how much he will command salary wise
semin made it clear he doesnt want to play for a team that emphasizes defense.

I could see signing Gill to a one year deal, especially if he liked it here and wouldnt demand top dollar to stay.

Gaustad reportedly thinks he should get 3-4 million. We cant pay that for our 4th line center... the question is will anyone else want to? if he liked it here and would sign for more like 2.5, I could see it.

Parise is a pipe dream. Back when I thought Suter was going to extend during the season, I thought the other shoe would be a push for Parise. Now I think he goes elsewhere, possibly Minnesota.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Hindsight is 20/20
While I would've loved to have Carter due to our need for a #1 center, I doubt Poile and Co. would've been really interested due to his rumored involvement with a former Predator. Even when they are no longer in Nashville, it seems like Trotz and Poile have good relationships with their former players.

More than anything, I wish that rumored deal a couple years ago for John Tavares happened. Much rather had him than Wilson + other pieces. The price would've been huge, but not having a #1 center hurts. Hopefully Smith will become that pivot for us, but I am not holding my breath.

Regardless, Poile made all the right moves in order to get to pieces we needed. Sadly, the team and coaching staff failed to capitalize on our best chance to get to the WCF. Ultimately the only thing I think that should've been done this season is trade Wilson for a piece we would actually use and to make the "all in moves" earlier this season when we were struggling in an effort to secure the division. Realistically, this was our year to be division champs and I feel like we fumbled it away.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

According to the Tennessean we still need a #1 center, I've got to agree, but that time has come and gone, carter, Richards (both)... We've got to take a run at a #1 center this offseason, period (via trade)

Old
05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Carter and Richards don't really seem like the kinds of character guys that Poile likes, but then again, SK and AK didn't either. Radulov has his baggage. SOB had his baggage.

I guess it's a matter of price tag + character. If the price tag is too much to overcome the character issues Poile isn't going to take the chance.

He may have missed out on Carter for that reason, but do we know that Carter fits in with our guys? That question likely never gets answered now with how good the Kings are playing.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:16 PM
maplepred

So who is available as far as acquiring a centre??

You gotta think Eric Staal will want out of Carolina sooner or later with how much they always suck.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

We can only afford Staal if Suter leaves. The only way Carolina trades Staal is if they are wanting to rebuild, meaning we have to give up a lot of young, cheap, good players.

If Suter doesn't leave we still have to surrender those same assets. Suddenly there would be fewer reliable options to keep the team cap compliant. Staal's deal is back-loaded, too. Salary still matters even if the guys are spending to the cap.

What are some ideas for trade proposals? (Sorry whenever I'm HF lately I've been busy on the rest of the site so I haven't read much here)

Old
05-16-2012, 02:14 PM
maplepred

Suter isn't gonna stay. And as far as trading away young assets to hurricanes I think Wilson, Blum, lindback and 2013 first is damn good offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We can only afford Staal if Suter leaves. The only way Carolina trades Staal is if they are wanting to rebuild, meaning we have to give up a lot of young, cheap, good players.

If Suter doesn't leave we still have to surrender those same assets. Suddenly there would be fewer reliable options to keep the team cap compliant. Staal's deal is back-loaded, too. Salary still matters even if the guys are spending to the cap.

What are some ideas for trade proposals? (Sorry whenever I'm HF lately I've been busy on the rest of the site so I haven't read much here)

Old
05-16-2012, 03:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

You know, until Suter comes out and says "I'm leaving" I'm going to include the possibility of him staying in any hypothetical roster move. Sorry, but I can't tell the future...

A center who got benched during the most important part of the season (and who plays wing now), a defensive prospect who had a great first 20+ regular season games and looked decent in the playoffs only to be send down after a lackluster start to this season, and a back up who looked less than serviceable until towards the end of the year plus a pick that historically will be a pretty low first doesn't get Staal out of Carolina. I really don't see that same package getting Backstrom out of Washington even (as you proposed a month ago)

Old
05-16-2012, 05:13 PM
maplepred

Only reason I said that offer is because we offered basically the same thing for Nash at the deadline and nobody else could/would top it. Only reason jackets said no was because Nash wouldn't waive to come play here but columbus was salivating over the possibility. I just took out Ellis from the original proposal and inserted Blum. But if it took Ellis, Wilson, lindback and first for Staal I'd still do it.

Wilson was benches throughout playoffs because trotz doesn't want pure offensive players in the lineup. Wilson is not as defensive minded for trotz system but other teams would love a Colin Wilson. And lindback has always looked good, he is starting goalie material. Maybe had the odd bad game but heck, rinne let in nine goals in first two games against punchless offensive coyotes, is he not good??

Just my opinion bro, I think most people would agree that Wilson, Ellis, lindback and a first would get us Staal or another top line centre easily. I mean Richards was traded for unproven Brayden schenn at NHL level, a first round pick, and a big bruiser in simmonds. Carter went for vorachek and a first. We are offering way more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You know, until Suter comes out and says "I'm leaving" I'm going to include the possibility of him staying in any hypothetical roster move. Sorry, but I can't tell the future...

A center who got benched during the most important part of the season (and who plays wing now), a defensive prospect who had a great first 20+ regular season games and looked decent in the playoffs only to be send down after a lackluster start to this season, and a back up who looked less than serviceable until towards the end of the year plus a pick that historically will be a pretty low first doesn't get Staal out of Carolina. I really don't see that same package getting Backstrom out of Washington even (as you proposed a month ago)

Old
05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
maplepred

Forgot about backstrom,
Capitals are not in potential rebuild phase whereas hurricanes may be.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:11 AM
maplepred

Wish we had of used our second round pick to get vermette like Phoenix did, rather than ak46

Old
05-17-2012, 08:36 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Wish we had of used our second round pick to get vermette like Phoenix did, rather than ak46
It wasn't a 2nd for Vermette. It was a second, conditional 5th, and a goalie prospect for Vermette ... to a team outside of their division. So much hindsight and thinking that these trades happen in a vacuum.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It wasn't a 2nd for Vermette. It was a second, conditional 5th, and a goalie prospect for Vermette ... to a team outside of their division. So much hindsight and thinking that these trades happen in a vacuum.
All I've read over the past year is that we wanted Radulov and wishing to acquire AK46. Be careful what you wish for. I thought Ak is better than Sk and wouldn't mind if he would come back. Radulov on the other hand it's time for them to rid themselves of the problem child

Old
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Radulov was better than AK, and the only "problem child" incident we had out of him also involved AK. Why would you want AK back without Rads?

Old
05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
token grinder

Quote:
I'm nitpicking here, but the goalie was curtis Macellhany or howeve the hell you spell "trash goaltender dump."

the second was the main piece

Old
05-17-2012, 12:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I'm nitpicking here, but the goalie was curtis Macellhany or howeve the hell you spell "trash goaltender dump."

the second was the main piece
That "trash goaltender dump" has 69 NHL games with a couple of seasons with respectable numbers in limited action (.917sv%, 2.56gaa with Ott). We gave up a second and the conditional from the Gill trade for AK ... the Yotes gave up an earlier second, a conditional pick, and a goalie who probably spends most of his time in the AHL but who can fill in as a NHL backup if needed.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
maplepred

I would have gladly given up a higher second round pick and the conditional plus Jeremy smith for vermette over ak46. I find north American players have way more desire to actually win a cup and it's not just all about the money like 'some' Europeans.

Not to mention if we had vermette rather than ak we would have had a lot more points for us and radulov wouldn't have had a bar partner to f everything up. But again, hindsight is 20/20.

I doubt we see either kostitsyn back next season, Sergei was terrible last 30 games.

Not really crazy about wanting radulov back either if we can get some good assets for him (defensively thinking if suter leaves) then use Wilson, Blum, lindback and picks/prospects to get big centre.

Radulov always looked angry, don't think I ever seen him smile since he came back. Unless he was drunk at a bar maybe outside of Glendale lol.

Quote:
That "trash goaltender dump" has 69 NHL games with a couple of seasons with respectable numbers in limited action (.917sv%, 2.56gaa with Ott). We gave up a second and the conditional from the Gill trade for AK ... the Yotes gave up an earlier second, a conditional pick, and a goalie who probably spends most of his time in the AHL but who can fill in as a NHL backup if needed.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Quote:
I would have gladly given up a higher second round pick and the conditional plus Jeremy smith for vermette over ak46. I find north American players have way more desire to actually win a cup and it's not just all about the money like 'some' Europeans.

Not to mention if we had vermette rather than ak we would have had a lot more points for us and radulov wouldn't have had a bar partner to f everything up. But again, hindsight is 20/20.
Wow, just wow. And on some people dare to call my remarks racist
I guess when the trades were made Poile was looking at players stats not assuming that a NA player will have more points in PO over European. Just looking at their stats at contracts before the PO
Vermette 42 games 4 goals and 4 assists 3.75 mil contract for 4 more years
AK-46 41 games 11 goals and 8 assists 3.25 mil last year contract

Absolutely obvious to me who I would bet on if I needed a boost for a PO run

Closed Thread