HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

My point system idea (it doesn't help Habs now)

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
My point system idea (it doesn't help Habs now)

I've yet to see this one posed, though someone must've come up with it by now. Instead of awarding 3 pts. for a reg. win, 2 for an OT/SO win and 1 for losing in OT/SO, why don't you just do this: Don't award any points for losing in OT/SO, keep awarding 2 pts. for a regulation victory but if you have to win it in OT you only get 1. In this case, two conf. rivals playing each other in OT know one winner won't be getting 2 pts. over the other so 1 pt. is up for grab. That way, the loser is not moving further up on other teams and the winner is punished for needing sudden death. Heck, if it was up to me there'd also be 3-on-3 OT before a shootout could ever happen.

IMO, 3 on 3 is just as exciting and crazy as a shootout. This way no records are broken (come on, I want 100-110 pts. to be a sign of a great team for real, like it was back in the days before OT). It's similar to the pre-1983 NHL when there were 2 pts. to be had but no reg. season OT meant no bonus wins so there were lots of ties. OT/SO winners now are getting the point that used to be handed out for ties at the end of regulation. Essentially 0 pts. will be doled out a lot, so really only the OT/SO losses will no longer be rewarded for at all. So even though this prevent's 1 goal thrillers finished in OT meaning so much, it does reward teams who can get it done without the aid of an extra period. And it punishes teams for blowing a lead especially if they can't salvage the 1 pt. left in the extra period.

Anybody got problems with this idea? This doesn't seem too bad to me. That'll eliminate the complaint of teams piling up bonus pts. The 3 pt. thing sounds too extreme to me. That would mean you could be 3 pts. back and tie a team in the standings with a win. You think teams would trap it up to preserve a 2 pt. victory? Well, it'd be even more extreme if it was a 3 pt. swing up for grabs. Now that's a wild system. If you apply such a system now, here it is after tonight's results (not including the late Nashville-Anaheim game but I can edit that in later). The point totals seem low, but they'd be higher if teams were playing with the new pt. system in mind. An alternative would be to reward 1.5 pts. for a OT/SO win and 0.5 for an OT/SO loss, but that may falter if it confuses people when you get into half points. Plus you can be above .500 and still have less pts. than GP:

Eastern Conf. (points lost in brackets) (other brackets show pt. totals if it was the 1.5/0.5 system)
1. Ottawa-96 pts. (3 pts. taken away from OT/SO wins, 6 OT/SO losses)-just shows how good they've been at beating teams decisively, only 9 games of theirs have gone to extra time!) (100.5 pts.)
2. Carolina-83 pts. (9 pts. from wins and 6 from losses gone) (90.5 pts.)
3. NY Rangers-70 pts. (8 from wins, 11 from losses gone) (79.5 pts.)
4. Buffalo-79 pts. (9 gone from wins, 4 from losses) (85.5 pts.)
5. Philadelphia-67 pts. (a whopping 11 from wins, 10 losses gone-of their 88 pts. amazingly 32 have been decided in the extra frame) (77.5 pts.)
6. Tampa Bay-65 pts. (9 from W, 5 from L) (72 pts.)
7. New Jersey-60 pts. (9 from W, 10 from L) (69.5 pts.)
8. Atlanta-60 pts. (10 from W, 6 from L) (68 pts.)

9. Montreal-58 pts. (8 from W, 9 from L) (66.5 pts.)
10. Toronto-56 pts. this aids them in the system for cause they could tie up the Habs with a win Sat. if so and they'd be 4 pts. back of 8th at the moment (8 from W, 6 from L) (63 pts.)
11. Florida-54 pts. (9 from W, 8 from L) (62.5 pts.)
12. NY Islanders-53 pts. (11 from W, 5 from L) (61 pts.)
13. Boston-49 pts. (5 from W, 12 from L) (57.5 pts.)
14. Washington-37 pts. (7 from W, 9 from L) (45 pts.)
15. Pittsburgh-33 pts. (5 from W, 12 from L) (41.5 pts.)

Western Conf.
1. Detroit-91 pts. (5 from W, 6 from L) (96.5 pts.)
2. Dallas-82 pts. (12 from W, 3 from L) (89.5 pts.)
3. Calgary-74 pts. (4 from W, 8 from L) (80 pts.)
4. Nashville-76 pts. (8 from W, 8 from L) (84 pts.)
5. Colorado-71 pts. (5 from W, 7 from L) (77 pts.)
6. Anaheim-65 pts. (5 from W, 12 from L) (73.5 pts.)
7. Vancouver-70 pts. though Ana has 2 games in hand, this proves the Ducks have been getting the "cheap" points (6 from W, 6 from L) (76 pts.)
8. Los Angeles-would be 8th w/65 pts. (9 from W, 5 from L) (72 pts.)

9. San Jose-61 pts. also hurting them big time despite the games in hand (7 from W, 10 from L) (69.5 pts.)
10. Minnesota-61 pts. amazingly they're back in the playoff hunt with these rules (3 from W, 7 from L) (66 pts.)
11. Edmonton-57 pts. thus screwing Edmonton majorly putting them all the way back in 11th with the Sharks in their path holding 2 games in hand (11 from W, 12 from L) (68.5 pts. certainly easier on them)
12. Phoenix-57 pts. (9 from W, 4 from L) (63.5 pts.)
13. Columbus-42 pts. (12 from W, 3 from L) (47.5 pts.)
14. Chicago-36 pts. (6 from W, 9 from L) (43.5 pts.)
15. St. Louis-33 pts. (7 from W, 11 from L) (42 pts.)

So this doesn't change a huge amount with regards to the East in both methods, but the West certainly takes a different shape. Minny gets closer, Edmonton falls back a fair bit and puts the Canucks ahead of Anaheim by 5 pts. which wouldn't be a cushion based on games in hand, but would still help Vancouver compete for 5th and 6th much better.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
I've yet to see this one posed, though someone must've come up with it by now. Instead of awarding 3 pts. for a reg. win, 2 for an OT/SO win and 1 for losing in OT/SO, why don't you just do this: Don't award any points for losing in OT/SO, keep awarding 2 pts. for a regulation victory but if you have to win it in OT you only get 1. In this case, two conf. rivals playing each other in OT know one winner won't be getting 2 pts. over the other so 1 pt. is up for grab. That way, the loser is not moving further up on other teams and the winner is punished for needing sudden death. Heck, if it was up to me there'd also be 3-on-3 OT before a shootout could ever happen.

IMO, 3 on 3 is just as exciting and crazy as a shootout. This way no records are broken (come on, I want 100-110 pts. to be a sign of a great team for real, like it was back in the days before OT). It's similar to the pre-1983 NHL when there were 2 pts. to be had but no reg. season OT meant no bonus wins so there were lots of ties. OT/SO winners now are getting the point that used to be handed out for ties at the end of regulation. Essentially 0 pts. will be doled out a lot, so really only the OT/SO losses will no longer be rewarded for at all. So even though this prevent's 1 goal thrillers finished in OT meaning so much, it does reward teams who can get it done without the aid of an extra period. And it punishes teams for blowing a lead especially if they can't salvage the 1 pt. left in the extra period.

Anybody got problems with this idea? This doesn't seem too bad to me. That'll eliminate the complaint of teams piling up bonus pts. The 3 pt. thing sounds too extreme to me. That would mean you could be 3 pts. back and tie a team in the standings with a win. You think teams would trap it up to preserve a 2 pt. victory? Well, it'd be even more extreme if it was a 3 pt. swing up for grabs. Now that's a wild system. If you apply such a system now, here it is after tonight's results (not including the late Nashville-Anaheim game but I can edit that in later). The point totals seem low, but they'd be higher if teams were playing with the new pt. system in mind. An alternative would be to reward 1.5 pts. for a OT/SO win and 0.5 for an OT/SO loss, but that may falter if it confuses people when you get into half points. Plus you can be above .500 and still have less pts. than GP:

Eastern Conf. (points lost in brackets) (other brackets show pt. totals if it was the 1.5/0.5 system)
1. Ottawa-96 pts. (3 pts. taken away from OT/SO wins, 6 OT/SO losses)-just shows how good they've been at beating teams decisively, only 9 games of theirs have gone to extra time!) (100.5 pts.)
2. Carolina-83 pts. (9 pts. from wins and 6 from losses gone) (90.5 pts.)
3. NY Rangers-70 pts. (8 from wins, 11 from losses gone) (79.5 pts.)
4. Buffalo-79 pts. (9 gone from wins, 4 from losses) (85.5 pts.)
5. Philadelphia-67 pts. (a whopping 11 from wins, 10 losses gone-of their 88 pts. amazingly 32 have been decided in the extra frame) (77.5 pts.)
6. Tampa Bay-65 pts. (9 from W, 5 from L) (72 pts.)
7. New Jersey-60 pts. (9 from W, 10 from L) (69.5 pts.)
8. Atlanta-60 pts. (10 from W, 6 from L) (68 pts.)

9. Montreal-58 pts. (8 from W, 9 from L) (66.5 pts.)
10. Toronto-56 pts. this aids them in the system for cause they could tie up the Habs with a win Sat. if so and they'd be 4 pts. back of 8th at the moment (8 from W, 6 from L) (63 pts.)
11. Florida-54 pts. (9 from W, 8 from L) (62.5 pts.)
12. NY Islanders-53 pts. (11 from W, 5 from L) (61 pts.)
13. Boston-49 pts. (5 from W, 12 from L) (57.5 pts.)
14. Washington-37 pts. (7 from W, 9 from L) (45 pts.)
15. Pittsburgh-33 pts. (5 from W, 12 from L) (41.5 pts.)

Western Conf.
1. Detroit-91 pts. (5 from W, 6 from L) (96.5 pts.)
2. Dallas-82 pts. (12 from W, 3 from L) (89.5 pts.)
3. Calgary-74 pts. (4 from W, 8 from L) (80 pts.)
4. Nashville-76 pts. (8 from W, 8 from L) (84 pts.)
5. Colorado-71 pts. (5 from W, 7 from L) (77 pts.)
6. Anaheim-65 pts. (5 from W, 12 from L) (73.5 pts.)
7. Vancouver-70 pts. though Ana has 2 games in hand, this proves the Ducks have been getting the "cheap" points (6 from W, 6 from L) (76 pts.)
8. Los Angeles-would be 8th w/65 pts. (9 from W, 5 from L) (72 pts.)

9. San Jose-61 pts. also hurting them big time despite the games in hand (7 from W, 10 from L) (69.5 pts.)
10. Minnesota-61 pts. amazingly they're back in the playoff hunt with these rules (3 from W, 7 from L) (66 pts.)
11. Edmonton-57 pts. thus screwing Edmonton majorly putting them all the way back in 11th with the Sharks in their path holding 2 games in hand (11 from W, 12 from L) (68.5 pts. certainly easier on them)
12. Phoenix-57 pts. (9 from W, 4 from L) (63.5 pts.)
13. Columbus-42 pts. (12 from W, 3 from L) (47.5 pts.)
14. Chicago-36 pts. (6 from W, 9 from L) (43.5 pts.)
15. St. Louis-33 pts. (7 from W, 11 from L) (42 pts.)

So this doesn't change a huge amount with regards to the East in both methods, but the West certainly takes a different shape. Minny gets closer, Edmonton falls back a fair bit and puts the Canucks ahead of Anaheim by 5 pts. which wouldn't be a cushion based on games in hand, but would still help Vancouver compete for 5th and 6th much better.
It is fundamentally wrong to have some games worth 3 points and some games worth 2 points.

Your system has some games worth 2 points and some games worth 1 point.

Each game should be worth the same amount of points. Its just that simple.

I'm not a huge fan of having a shootout winner be equally rewarded as a winner playing real hockey and I get the sense that you're not a fan of it either.

I still think the 3 point system is the way to go.

3pts for a real regulation win

2pts for a fake shootout/OT win

1pt for a fake OT/shootout loss

Old
03-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Uh, yeah. So...?

Old
03-24-2006, 09:59 PM
NBHABSFAN

The idea for an OT win as 2 points is crazy. A win is a win should be the same amount of points.

Old
03-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
The idea for an OT win as 2 points is crazy. A win is a win should be the same amount of points.
but a shootout win isn't really a win... its a fake win

same idea with going 4 on 4 for OT... its a circus

Old
03-24-2006, 10:02 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
but a shootout win isn't really a win... its a fake win

same idea with going 4 on 4 for OT... its a circus
Ya thats a good point. Maybe put it back to 5 on 5, with the posiability of a tie. Or have OT until someone wins.

Old
03-24-2006, 10:05 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

I say we just have it the way it is! but get rid of the shootout. They can have the shootout for entertainment but not award points for it

Old
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
NBHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab
They can have the shootout for entertainment but not award points for it
Thats like non-alcholic beer, whats the point?

Old
03-25-2006, 05:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I posted something like this at the start of the season. And in actual fact the league is thinking of putting wins at 3 pts. a decision will be made this summer.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Medicine Twin

I say 2 pts. for a win, 0 pts. for a loss no matter if it's regulation, OT, or SO. As a hockey fan, do you really want to look at the standings and read "W - OTW - OTL - L"? Just wins and losses... same as baseball, basketball, etc.

The point for regulation tie was put in to get teams play offence in OT in hopes to eliminate tie games. With the shootout in place, the regulation tie has no purpose.

Now, personally, I'm not a fan of the shootout and would just have a 10min 4-on-4 OT and if a tie happens, so be it. But the NHL loves their shootout so that's not gonna happen.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Solak

Send a message via AIM to Solak Send a message via Yahoo to Solak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
I say 2 pts. for a win, 0 pts. for a loss no matter if it's regulation, OT, or SO. As a hockey fan, do you really want to look at the standings and read "W - OTW - OTL - L"? Just wins and losses... same as baseball, basketball, etc.

The point for regulation tie was put in to get teams play offence in OT in hopes to eliminate tie games. With the shootout in place, the regulation tie has no purpose.

Now, personally, I'm not a fan of the shootout and would just have a 10min 4-on-4 OT and if a tie happens, so be it. But the NHL loves their shootout so that's not gonna happen.
I totally agree. I understand why they starting giving points for OT losses but now it serves no purpose. Get rid of it, you lose- no points.

Closed Thread