HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers arent giving up

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 09:49 PM
InGaineyWeTrust*

vCash: 500
Panthers arent giving up

florida beat the rangers 2nite, 4 pts behind montreal with 1 extra game played. Their next 2 oponents are boston and pittsburgh, 2 very winnable games 4 them.
If montreal loses to toronto tomorow, theyll have the same number of games played and only 2 wins seperating them...should we be looking behind us here, do you think the panthers could put together a drive to the post season?

Old
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Florida is capable. However what makes it difficult for them is that Atlanta, Toronto, Montreal would all have to suck for them to get in. They'd have to put a hot streak on while the afformentioned 3 would have to slump. With the way things have gone, this doesn't seem impossible though. So they're at least making a run unlike other years where they've floundered around in the league's cellar.

Old
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Toro

I agree i rally like what i see from florida these last couple months... Roberts and niewendyk have been playing good they have been creeping up the standings on a consistent basis Good job Keenan.

I like listeneing to dennis potvin to the broadcasts on center ice

Luongo is great and is betting better every year

Martin is descent

Old
03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
I'm glad the Panthers are playing well and not giving up. In fact, I think it is great news for our hopes.

Why?

They have 5 games against ATL and TB. Hopefully they are still close by then and give those teams all they can handle.

Realistically, Florida needs to go something like 9-2-1 to get to the magical 90 points, so no need to really fear them.

Old
03-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
I'm glad the Panthers are playing well and not giving up. In fact, I think it is great news for our hopes.

Why?

They have 5 games against ATL and TB. Hopefully they are still close by then and give those teams all they can handle.

Realistically, Florida needs to go something like 9-2-1 to get to the magical 90 points, so no need to really fear them.

I agree

Old
03-24-2006, 11:01 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
so no need to really fear them.
Stranger things have happened...
The playoff picture may very well look very different at the end of the season than it is now.
I'm sure we'll all be somewhat "surprised" by who makes it and what the conference standings end up to be.
The only fear I have is Montreal not being there, at the end...

Old
03-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Why?

excellent point as always Marc

I hadn't even thought of that

I do my point projection by how teams have done versus their remaining opposition and I project 88 points will get you in the east this year and I got the habs getting there

Old
03-25-2006, 07:20 AM
TheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro

I like listeneing to dennis potvin to the broadcasts on center ice
Iím really surprised by your comment. He is knowledgeable guy, but he is so biased towards other teams that itís not even funny. By far the worst commentator I have listened to on Center Ice.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket
Iím really surprised by your comment. He is knowledgeable guy, but he is so biased towards other teams that itís not even funny. By far the worst commentator I have listened to on Center Ice.
I agree...he is really nausiating

Old
03-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Agree with Marc the habs fan.

I was about to say that at this point in time, if the Panthers were to catch the habs, it would mean a playoff position is not in reach anymore... Atlanta, Tampa and New Jersey arent going to wait for us while we are watching behind.

edit: same for Toronto. I dont want the win tonight because i dont want to give the points to Toronto, a team chasing us. I want the win tonight because those 2 points are a must in the race against the aboves teams.

At this point in time, i couldnt care less about Toronto or Florida or the Isles. The games against us are a must win for the points and not for preventing them for getting points. (Games against New Jerseys will be a much different approach)

Old
03-25-2006, 10:17 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara
I agree...he is really nausiating
In english too?

He was doing the Olympics in french for the SRC.

It was the most disgusting broadcasting performance I have ever seen.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Egil

The Panthers have 3 games against TB and 2 games against Atlanta. They have a chance to get in, but also to knock those 2 teams down a peg, which is kindof a neutral exchange for the Habs.

Old
03-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Souffle
A soupÁon of nutmeg

Florida is a longshot for this year, but I'm impressed with the direction of that team. Keenan has made some very good moves. Signing Jokinen was masterful, and likewise being stubborn in not trading Luongo and Bouwmeester. Those three are as good as it gets in terms of a team core.

Also, with Martin, Florida is going to develop a nice group of young players like Horton, Olesz and Weiss. I don't think this is their year, but they're kind of like the Habs in terms of overall direction, and probably better if they keep Luongo beyond next season.

Actually, it would be interesting to track Gainey and Keenan's moves as GMs. I suspect they're somewhat similar in terms of general approach.

Closed Thread