HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Of course his agent said that.............

What else was he going to say????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He knows his client's stock is slipping and wants to try and "drum up more interest".
I agree. But at the same time the Habs Management team had better do all their due dilligence on all the top ranked players. Just because we here on HFBoards hear this or that or like this guy or that guy, doesn't mean that the souting staff sees something entirely different. Grigorenko has done very well in the Q, so, like most other top Q league players, was invited to the Habs combine, but it wasn't a special invitation just for him.

(disclaimer, I'm a Galchenyuk backer)

Old
05-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I agree. But at the same time the Habs Management team had better do all their due dilligence on all the top ranked players. Just because we here on HFBoards hear this or that or like this guy or that guy, doesn't mean that the souting staff sees something entirely different. Grigorenko has done very well in the Q, so, like most other top Q league players, was invited to the Habs combine, but it wasn't a special invitation just for him.

No doubt, maybe they are checking him out because they have a deal in place to get another mid 1st rounder and hope he drops out of the top 10. I'd have no problem taking Grigorenko if he fell to 12 or 13 like Fowler and Gormley.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...17-144619.html

Grigorenko's agent Jay Grossman was asked if he would be surprised if the Habs picked Grigorenko 3rd, Grossman answered no, he wouldn't be surprised.

''Marc Bergevin and their front office have shown a lot of interest in Grigo'' he adds.

Does the invite to our combine = a lot of interest in his mind? Is there more to it than that? Did Bergevin find time to personally meet Grigorenko in his 2 weeks on the job?

Grossman also says the KHL is not an option and he'll go back to the Q next season if that's what the team that picks him wants.
That's the only important information coming out of this interview. The rest is PR.

Edit: actually could be PR too...

There would more ruckus if the habs hadn't invited Grigo to their combine. The invite was almost automatic regardless of injury status.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

I completely agree. Timmins would be doing the team a disservice if he didn't thoroughly investigate a player as talented as Grigorenko.

It is just ridiculous that this was posted as news or some kind of evidence that they may be leaning in Grigorenko's direction.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That's the only important information coming out of this interview. The rest is PR.

There would more ruckus if the habs hadn't invited Grigo to their combine. The invite was almost automatic regardless of injury status.
The whole thing was PR. Do you really think the agent would say otherwise even if he knew that it was a possibility.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The whole thing was PR. Do you really think the agent would say otherwise even if he knew that it was a possibility.
the same as Roy touting his player. One breath he says the Habs should take him at #3, greatest prospect he's ever seen...blah blah blah. Then he says he should be left in the Q. Is he trying to get the best player for the HABS or is he trying to sell more tickets to his team's games by marketing a top NHL prospect whose rights are owned by the Habs?

PR all the same.

In Timmins we must trust

Old
05-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Aeneas

To be honest, its exciting looking at the picks and having a wishlist, but I will not doubt Trevor Timmins with whomever he picks.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:00 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...17-144619.html

Grigorenko's agent Jay Grossman was asked if he would be surprised if the Habs picked Grigorenko 3rd, Grossman answered no, he wouldn't be surprised.

''Marc Bergevin and their front office have shown a lot of interest in Grigo'' he adds.

Does the invite to our combine = a lot of interest in his mind? Is there more to it than that? Did Bergevin find time to personally meet Grigorenko in his 2 weeks on the job?

Grossman also says the KHL is not an option and he'll go back to the Q next season if that's what the team that picks him wants.
I definitely would be inviting Grig to our combine. He has the high end skill. Never know he may slide, we may be able to trade down and get extra first next year or trade up from 32th and grab him later than we think.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:09 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I would be disapointed, you don't use a #3 overall pick on Kovalev II
Yeah what a disappointment that would be if we wound up with a guy who scores 1000+ points in the NHL.

Let's temper our expectations - we're not getting Gretzky with this pick. Look at some of the most recent 3rd overalls - Horton, Barker, Toews, Bouwmeester, Bogosian, Duchene, J. Johnson...all good players (and one star) but no world-beaters.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
the same as Roy touting his player. One breath he says the Habs should take him at #3, greatest prospect he's ever seen...blah blah blah. Then he says he should be left in the Q. Is he trying to get the best player for the HABS or is he trying to sell more tickets to his team's games by marketing a top NHL prospect whose rights are owned by the Habs?

PR all the same.

In Timmins we must trust
Roy saying Grigs is the best prospect he's seen AND should stay in the Q aren't mutually exclusive. Just because a player is a great prospect doesn't mean they should jump to the NHL right away.

So while you're right that there is some PR involved and hype, there is for ALL the prospects in the draft. This isn't just a Grigs thing as all the prospects coaches will sing their praises etc. Yakopov was saying thr he'd love to play for Edmonton if they drafted him. That's what you want to hear from prospects and their agents.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
shutehinside

Just a hypothetical here. What if Grigs shows up and dominates the mini camp and outshine everyone there? Is he still a scrub that should not be a top 5?
Just food for thought.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Just a hypothetical here. What if Grigs shows up and dominates the mini camp and outshine everyone there? Is he still a scrub that should not be a top 5?
Just food for thought.
It shouldn't change anything. No one's doubted Grigorenko's talent, or his ability to dominate a scrimmage.

A lot more goes into being a hockey player than just talent, though, and that's why he's dropping.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:19 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It shouldn't change anything. No one's doubted Grigorenko's talent, or his ability to dominate a scrimmage.

A lot more goes into being a hockey player than just talent, though, and that's why he's dropping.
Exactly. The issue isn't fitness or skill, the issue is will he go to war when asked?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
MM425

Haven't checked on the draft in a while been busy but it seems to me that there is a lot of late movement in the various lists.

Seems more and more that this really is a crapshoot draft beyond Yakupov... at this point you kind of have to trust the scouts have done their work and hope they make the right pick for the franchise.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah what a disappointment that would be if we wound up with a guy who scores 1000+ points in the NHL.

Let's temper our expectations - we're not getting Gretzky with this pick. Look at some of the most recent 3rd overalls - Horton, Barker, Toews, Bouwmeester, Bogosian, Duchene, J. Johnson...all good players (and one star) but no world-beaters.
Even comparing him to Kovalev is a compliment, Kovalev was more willing to battle and pay the price than Grigorenko has done so far, both then to not show up for periuods of time.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:09 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even comparing him to Kovalev is a compliment, Kovalev was more willing to battle and pay the price than Grigorenko has done so far, both then to not show up for periuods of time.
Did he steal your girlfriend Carey?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
You do realize he's SEVENTEEN.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
You do realize he's SEVENTEEN.
...and the rest of the draft class is 25?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Did he steal your girlfriend Carey?
Remparts fans are so irrational it's not even funny.

So if he goes outside the top 5 is it because he "stole the girlfriends" of the top 5 teams' head scouts?

I don't hate the guy, I just want us to draft somebody else, is that a crime? If he was playing for Kazan AK Bars would you still be so offended by comments on here?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
...and the rest of the draft class is 25?
So what you're saying is that none of them will mature past their age!?
Omg, they'll all be teenagers forever!!!

Old
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:

So if he goes outside the top 5 is it because he "stole the girlfriends" of the top 5 teams' head scouts?

I don't hate the guy, I just want us to draft somebody else, is that a crime? If he was playing for Kazan AK Bars would you still be so offended by comments on here?
I'm not offended at all. I'm just pointing out your exaggeration like always.

If you don't hate him, I fear for those you hate...

I also want to draft somebody else. And I don't want to draft Forsberg either. It doesn't mean I have to bring him down every chance I get.

I was a Remparts fan but it doesn't mean I like them all or can't judge about their performances. And everything you say about him is grossly overexagerated.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
shutehinside

Quote:

Because your opinion on Grigs is so rational. :Sarcasm:

Old
05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I would be disapointed, you don't use a #3 overall pick on Kovalev II
Oh come on. First of all stop comparing Grigs to guys with bad raps, the kid's 17.

Secondly Kovalev is a 1000 point player in the NHL.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Oh come on. First of all stop comparing Grigs to guys with bad raps, the kid's 17.

Secondly Kovalev is a 1000 point player in the NHL.
What does being 17 have to do with anything?

He won't outwork or overpower guys from his own age group and you think he'll suddenly start battling like crazy and going into traffic against bigger, stronger and older players?

If he had a weak wrist shot or was too skinny then yeah, that's something age and maturity will fix, but guys that are scared and lack drive in junior don't usually turn into brave and gritty players in the pros.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
What does being 17 have to do with anything?

He won't outwork or overpower guys from his own age group and you think he'll suddenly start battling like crazy and going into traffic against bigger, stronger and older players?

If he had a weak wrist shot or was too skinny then yeah, that's something age and maturity will fix, but guys that are scared and lack drive in junior don't usually turn into brave and gritty players in the pros.
We don't need him to lead us into battle against the English, we need an influx of talent. Grigs has the best chance of anyone in this class of turning into a 100p player IMO. The guy has unreal talent.

Closed Thread