HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux not a finalist for the Hart Trophy?

Old
04-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

vCash: 500
I am shocked that Giroux was not nominated! What an exciting player! I guess there was a lot of competition, but thought he was a sure thing!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:10 AM
drownedsailors

I'm still fine with Giroux not being nominated, but I just wanted to post this.

So apparently Gregory Campbell of the Boston Bruins thought Giroux should have won the Hart:

Quote:
I think Giroux has really come into his own. Obviously, theres (Evgeni) Malkin in Pittsburgh. But I think Giroux, with the departures of (Mike) Richards and (Jeff) Carter, nobody really knew what to expect with Philly and Giroux has kind of taken over that leadership role. Hes really thrived this year and he really plays on both sides of the puck. Hes a really good defensive player, as well. I just find him so elusive and so hard to contain and check. Hes a small guy, too. You look at Malkin and hes 6-3 or whatever and you look at (Sidney) Crosby and hes built like a Mack truck. But Giroux is a little guy, hes so hard to hit and hes just really talented. I think Philly has had a really good year and they kind of run on how hes playing.
http://bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/bear_blog/?p=219

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:34 AM
KaraLupin
카라

I wish they would pick some off-the-radar players. Like Brodeur, he was by no way one of the best goalies this season, but his decent play compared to last year, was such a crucial part in Devils making the playoffs, imo.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:37 AM
KaraLupin
카라

When look at the Flyers success this season, I think it was because of all the new players they brought in, Giroux was a huge part of success this season, but he wasn't the only part. He may be our MVP, but compared to some other teams, it clear he shouldn't be in the top 3 this year.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:26 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Someone on twitter made a great point...

If Homer isn't a nominee for GM of the Year, Read isnt a nominee for Calder and Giroux isn't a nominee for Hart, who should be credited for Flyers' success?
No one individual should be. We play this race up the ice Washington Capitals pond hockey style that certainly sells tickets, jerseys, and wins a lot of regular season games.

At the end of the day, it also struggles greatly with tough defensive teams. Hockey people see through it, that's why no one individual gets credit. The style of play is what is most responsible for the regular season success. It is also the reason we're now out of the playoffs.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:00 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Someone on twitter made a great point...

If Homer isn't a nominee for GM of the Year, Read isnt a nominee for Calder and Giroux isn't a nominee for Hart, who should be credited for Flyers' success?
What success? They finished fifth in the Conference and got their faces pushed in in the playoffs.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
What success? They finished fifth in the Conference and got their faces pushed in in the playoffs.
6th in the NHL in points after losing the cornerstone of their defense for the year and their new $50 million goalie struggling for long stretches. 22 teams didn't make it to the second round.

They've got a long way to go, but the team has had some success this year and shows the potential to improve.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:09 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
6th in the NHL in points after losing the cornerstone of their defense for the year and their new $50 million goalie struggling for long stretches. 22 teams didn't make it to the second round.

They've got a long way to go, but the team has had some success this year and shows the potential to improve.
they sure do, just saying the notion that NHL awardspeople ought to be looking at the Flyers and wondering how they were so "successful" is pretty homerish

Old
05-15-2012, 11:22 PM
DumpyD

Amazed how many people are trying to downplay a 60 goal season because the team around him is bad. Slice it anyway you want, it's still more impressive than 60 assists (and half of them coming on the powerplay).

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I have always thought of most valuable player like this:

If God disbanded the league tomorrow, and called for a draft on Friday, who would be the first player picked?

Or, more germane to this discussion: who would be the top three?

Claude Giroux would not be among them. I'm not even sure he'd crack Top Ten.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:38 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

If God disbanded the league tomorrow, and called for a draft on Friday, who would be the first player picked?

Depends who is picking first. If it is Lavy, he takes Giroux. How could he not after the "best player in the world" debacle?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:31 PM
pughater

giroux wins wanamaker award. did anyone see that or am i late with that one

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Anyone who is trying to say Giroux was more valuable to his team than:

A) Malkin leading the team leading the league in points after Crosby takes a seat due to his concussion problems

B) Stamkos on an absolutely terrible Lightning team scoring 60 goals for the most in the NHL

C) Quick single handedly allowing his under performing LA Kings to make the playoffs.

need to put these things into perspective. I would say our rookie performance as a whole was most valuable to the team this season than Giroux was.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post

A) Malkin leading the team leading the league in points after Crosby takes a seat due to his concussion problems

B) Stamkos on an absolutely terrible Lightning team scoring 60 goals for the most in the NHL

C) Quick single handedly allowing his under performing LA Kings to make the playoffs.

need to put these things into perspective. I would say our rookie performance as a whole was most valuable to the team this season than Giroux was.
I agree with what you say besides the last statement. We were banking this season on giroux picking up the scoring that richards and carter left...this was his season to be the man and he did that and more. If he regressed or even stayed the same as last year we would of been in trouble this year. He was for sure the team mvp.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
I agree with what you say besides the last statement. We were banking this season on giroux picking up the scoring that richards and carter left...this was his season to be the man and he did that and more. If he regressed or even stayed the same as last year we would of been in trouble this year. He was for sure the team mvp.
I agree that Roo is the team MVP this year, but don't discount the amazing success the rookies had. Think about where the Flyers end up if:

a) Couturier was sent back to juniors
b) Read doesn't score 25 goals

Plus all the other contributions from rookies in and out of the lineup all year -- it's not a pretty sight if they're not playing their brains out.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Yeah but G wins the HEART trophy hands and Crosby down

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

you remove Stamkos' 60 goals and his team still misses the playoffs...even worse than they did when you keep them in

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Stamkos ran up the goal total. He had like 33 goals at the trade deadline. The last like 2 months of the season for Tampa was all about getting Stamkos as many goals as possible.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:

What? Of course he would. He's a young 90 point scorer who's cap hit is RIDICULOUS for a player of his quality. He'd go top 5/6.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:27 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:

Yeah Stamkos was so much of an MVP his team didn't even make it to the Playoffs. One thing people look at when discussing an "MVP" is where would his team be if you take him off of it...well I think it's safe to say Tampa still wouldn't have made it to the Playoffs.

And like GKJ said, the last month or so of Tampa's season was all about getting him as much goals as possible.

I said this earlier in this thread and I'll say it again, we weren't a 'dominant' team this year, we finished one point above the 6th placed New Jersey Devils and you could argue that during the month of February our Playoff hopes were on the line considering we were playing .500 hockey.

But thankfully the Month of March and early April helped solidify our position. Bryz played amazing during that stretch and so did Groux picking up 21 points.

The success we've had this year is credit to a lot of different players, that's why I'm completely fine with Giroux not getting the nod for the Hart. But at the same time we don't know where this team would have ended up if Giroux didn't have a year like this, we might not have even made it to the Post-season. You're dead on with points A & C, Pitts and LA depended on those two players like crazy and I don't think NY wins the division without Hank...but I disagree with point 'B', Tampa still doesn't make it to the Playoffs with or without Stamkos & his 60 goals.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:02 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you remove Stamkos' 60 goals and his team still misses the playoffs...even worse than they did when you keep them in
What does that have to do with anything? It's MVP to your team, not MVP to making the playoffs.

Fine, take Stamkos out, G still doesn't beat Quick or Malkin IMO. Doesn't matter.