HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Fighting with helmet with cage

Old
05-17-2012, 05:53 PM
FlyingEagle

vCash: 500
Fighting with helmet with cage

Hello, can somebody please explain me what happens if guy with helmet with cage is going to fight? Should he put the helmet away or fight with it? If he will fight with it isn't it unfair if the other guy doesn't have cage or if he have just plexi?
Thanks for every response still learning hockey basics like this and it was hard to find.

FlyingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
steev182

I notice a lot of recreation leagues have a hard line approach on fighting. Fight and you're banned.

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Thepandamancan

Don't know the rule(s), but this is what has happened in my leagues. Bottom line, you fight you're tossed. However, it's interesting how the refs handle fights.

If it's two guys with shields or no facial protection they let them go until they fall or there's a clear winner, but if a guy has a cage they try to step in quickly. They weren't able to in one game and a guy knew kept punching a cage...his hand did not fare well.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Trevor3

I guess it depends on the league. When I played minor hockey my team had a bit of a reputation when we travelled. We always had at least one player ejected and were involved in several line-brawls over the years. This being minor hockey, fighting is not allowed and cages are mandatory, so you get ejected. Helmet with cage was left on and you end up trying to pop the others guys cage off. I once witnessed a player on another team punch a guy in the cage and bend the cage, he did break his hand in the process though.

I played junior the last couple of years and in Newfoundland you have to be 18 before you can remove the cage, so if you wear a cage nobody will fight you, unless you ask a guy to go and take it off yourself. Depending on the officials, that could earn you a suspension.

In the NHL you cannot wear a cage unless injured, so if you have one on you have no business fighting anyway.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Ozz

IMO anyone who has a cage on and instigates a fight with someone going open is a *****. Wait a shift, take the cage off, and see how tough you really are. Chances are, that will very rarely happen as most people are all talk.

I personally play fully open and have no problem accepting anyone with a full cage who might come at me, but I'm a big guy and stronger than most who can also throw down, so I know I'll have no problem handling myself. No one really bothers me anyway, which is just as well since I'm not really one to fight or start anything. We have 2 others who play w/o face protection and they're both average size/weight/strength and naturally get their share of face washes and shoving matches with people in cages. But that's just the way it is, you know how hockey goes.

Not many playing rec league want to go up against someone they figure will pummel them; it's not like we're at the NHL level I know I wouldn't want to walk into a straight up pounding...

edit: this is obviously in an adult league. Back when I was a kid/teenager there were absolutely no scuffles allowed and full face protection was required anyway.

Last edited by Ozz: 05-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

When I was young and had to wear a cage and so did they other guy I threw punches at his neck until I got his helmet ripped off.

I'm not breaking my hand...

If you don't wear a cage and a guy who does comes at you, throw one glove off and keep one on your punching hand.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:07 AM
duul

vCash: 169
In minor hockey you had to wear cages, so either you'd just go at it after a scrum and try to rip the other kids helmet off and then drop your gloves, or in rare cases you asked someone to fight and they agree. At this point you just take each others helmets off (taking your own off is a crazy long suspension) and then fight after. The refs were pretty lenient in late bantam and throughout midget so it was kind of common.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Fighting in general isn't encouraged unless you're play pro or going pro.

If you wear a cage, don't start fights unless you're willing to take your helmet off.

If you are challenged by someone wearing a cage, don't bother unless they take them off.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:55 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingEagle View Post
Hello, can somebody please explain me what happens if guy with helmet with cage is going to fight? Should he put the helmet away or fight with it? If he will fight with it isn't it unfair if the other guy doesn't have cage or if he have just plexi?
Thanks for every response still learning hockey basics like this and it was hard to find.
Fighting isn't a hockey "basic". It's part of the pro game, but most lower level leagues will kick you out of the game and hand you a suspension, and some will slap you with a lifetime ban.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
FlyingEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Fighting isn't a hockey "basic". It's part of the pro game, but most lower level leagues will kick you out of the game and hand you a suspension, and some will slap you with a lifetime ban.
Yeah totaly agree. But I was talking more about "what to do" situations than how to kick someones ass when I used "hockey basics". But you're right its more for pro's and I don't even plan to fight I'm just curious what would people do in this situation.

Btw. Thanks everyone for replies I read everything and it helped because I don't even knew anything about this topic.

FlyingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:51 AM
650X2

Fighting in our league is at minimum a toss and one game suspension. Automatic no questions asked.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Stickmata

Aside from fighting being retarded in rec league hockey, our league instituted new head contact rules this year and one of them covered removing either your own or the opposing player's helmet. I believe either one will earn you somewhere between a 5 and 10 game suspension now.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
There was a rule in Junior A (EJ) that you drop both helmet and gloves no matter what. Surprisingly, it created less fights then amateur hockey because people actually got punched in the face. Everyone's tough when they have protection on, but it's a different game when you take it off.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Badger36

In college they take their helmets off to fight. If youre just playing in a rec league though, why fight? Its so stupid.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
In college they take their helmets off to fight. If youre just playing in a rec league though, why fight? Its so stupid.
Agree with this. Rec league fights are embarrassing. Play tough against one another then give each other a tap to show respect. Everyone goes to work the next day. Nobody needs to show their toughness. Just get some exercise and play this great game.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingEagle View Post
Yeah totaly agree. But I was talking more about "what to do" situations than how to kick someones ass when I used "hockey basics". But you're right its more for pro's and I don't even plan to fight I'm just curious what would people do in this situation.

Btw. Thanks everyone for replies I read everything and it helped because I don't even knew anything about this topic.
Fair enough, just didn't know if you were somebody looking to get into the game and thinking that fighting is part of all levels. I had a kid on my midgets team get taken off the squad by his dad because he kept fighting and the league charged a $50 fine plus the suspension. Kid was in a fight every other game and his dad got sick of it and yanked him out.

I used to laugh because two dudes punching each other wearing a helmet with a full cage and gloves is stupid-looking and pointless.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Wooty

The majority of NHL players don't fight. Playing hockey is not defined as fighting

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

huge brawl in my ballhockey game yesterday ... it was a preseason game ... and some people got banned for the rest of the season

waste of 180$

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:23 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
huge brawl in my ballhockey game yesterday ... it was a preseason game ... and some people got banned for the rest of the season

waste of 180$
the best part about this is... this is ballhockey

a great game no less, but where people wear sneakers on dryland, who can avoid most incidental contact and lacks the same pace, yet people seem to play like they think there are scouts in the stands...

ridiculious

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:56 PM
TJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Agree with this. Rec league fights are embarrassing. Play tough against one another then give each other a tap to show respect. Everyone goes to work the next day. Nobody needs to show their toughness. Just get some exercise and play this great game.
My biggest gripe with mens league and you basically hit the nail on the head.

I'm playing Rec because I just want to have fun, play and because i didn't have the skills to play pro! That being said, I have to get up in the morning for work like everyone else.

Plus, I don't have great dental insurance, so the cage stays on...

TJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:08 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
the best part about this is... this is ballhockey

a great game no less, but where people wear sneakers on dryland, who can avoid most incidental contact and lacks the same pace, yet people seem to play like they think there are scouts in the stands...

ridiculious
Dunno about you, but I play ball hockey with roller blades. Still wouldn't fight, just making a point.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:02 AM
bp spec

Drop one glove so you can hold on to the other guy's jersey and start to throw some fists with the other hand.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
I agree, I absolutely cannot stand people who fight in rec leagues...it looks so childish.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:14 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
Dunno about you, but I play ball hockey with roller blades. Still wouldn't fight, just making a point.
Um... I call that roller hockey

It's like any sport, u can get caught in the heat of the passion

That being said, ball hockey isn't a contact game,hence the lack of mandatory pads and often helmet

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree, I absolutely cannot stand people who fight in rec leagues...it looks so childish.
I hear ya. Ive had a couple guys ask me if I wanted to go and I always laughed at them and said, "I dont fight rec league nobodies."

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote