HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Gorton w/Jim Cerny

Old
05-17-2012, 07:23 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
As far as moves to improve our offense there is nothing we can possibly do that will put us over the top. As far as that goes our objective is to close the gap with Pittsburgh as much as possible.

The reason is that Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin. Whatever we do they're going to have a better potential offense.

Which is why having a great defense and great goaltending is important. Not to get me wrong I'm all for making moves that will improve our offense but we need to keep our major components of our defense together because it's our strength and because there is no chance we're going to match Malkin-Crosby.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

patience and careful asset management. we need to give our players time to become as good as they can be. be opportunistic while cap smart in opportunities to make significant improvements to our weaknesses in trades. we can hardly afford to bring in players that don't mesh with our team culture of sacrifice and hard work.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
For me its a situation where i'd love to be able to acquire Bobby Ryan but i'd hate to have to give up up what it would take get him. I think he'd look great on the Richards-Gaborik line but i think the team will largely stay as is and to be honest i am fine with that.

The amount of money Parise may end up getting scares me so i dont know if going after him is a great idea.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It's going to take one of our top 4 D-man to get Bobby Ryan.

Or any other top 6 forward. imo.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Vitto79

I doubt Miller makes the Rangers out of camp so I guess another yr in junior for him. Makes it more important to sign JAM and Hrvik then. Besides that Thomas is the best prospect upfront. I imagine Newbury and Deveaux are options to be resigned..........Wellman, Kolarik, Thurreson will be back again too

on D McIlrath is a good option as a call up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I think the Rangers will trade Dubinsky, McIlrath, and some other pieces for a top 6 winger. Who's available though? Ryan, Perry, Getzlaf (last 2 are FA's after this year), Iginla? Maybe sign Ray Whitney, who has a lot left, even at 40.

I also really like Jeff Gorton, I hope he's with this team post-Sather retirement so he can be our next GM.
I can't see the Rangers trading McIlrath. Maybe Erixon, but I think that's a long shot to especially if Sauer isn't ready for the next season, or done period.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Pugs35

So in a thread full of good information from Gorton I've somehow learned:

-Gaborik and his 41 goals hasn't bought into our system.
-37 year old St. Louis is the answer to our problems and is worth 3 former 1st Rd picks and 2 2nd round picks.

So yeah, blowing up the (at worst) Eastern Conference runner up is a fantastic idea guys, keep them coming.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zach Parise is going to get a long term deal. The Rangers already have a nine year commitment with Brad Richards. The Rangers gave Richards a long term commitment because of his relationship with Torts. Richards took less money to sign with the Rangers because of Torts. Ryan Suter has already stated he wants a long term contract. He wants to finish his career with whomever he signs.

The Rangers have many young players coming up for new contracts in the near future. They will all receive significant raises from their current salaries. The Rangers could pay those increases and add other players because the cap has increased every year. That is going to change in the next CBA.

NBA CBA has the cap being flat for the first two years of the CBA. The owners agreed to share more revenue. The players took a % cut. The floor was increased. The money distributed in revenue sharing goes towards feuding the floor. The PA wants more revenue sharing. The NHL teams want the formula to get changed. More teams want revenue sharing dollars. The Garden agreed to that deal with other NBA owners.

The cap stays at $64.3M for the next 2 years,the Rangers have $40M committed in 13-14 on 9 players which doesn't include Chris Kreider and some of the Rangers soon to be free agents this summer. Subtract Brandon Dubinsky and Michael Rupp and add Kreider,its nearly $36M on 8 players. Its going to very tight. Michael Del Zotto is a group II with no arb rights this summer. Ryan McDonagh,Carl Hagelin and Artem Anisimov will be group IIs with arb rights next summer. Derek Stepan will be a group II with no arb rights. You look at Stepan's numbers in his 1st 2 years. He will get $2.5M-$3M per in a 2 year deal. Stepan has a 50-60 point season and he will get that. The two D will cost $3.5M per. Hagelin will come in at $2.5M-$3M. 38 points this season. He gets a 40-50 point year in 12-13. Ryan Callahan got $2.3M in 2009 being arb eligible. AA will cost $3M per. Martin Hanzal money. It will cost $14M-$16M to re-sign those 5 players. Then Kreider is arb eligible in 2014. Then you have the group IIIs coming off the books which will need new contracts in 14.

You still need 5 forwards,3 D and 1 G.

Why not wait until the CBA is settled?See what's in the CBA. Its only a few months.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Rangers are in a transitional period. They signed their big names, and now their young assets are coming in and filling the holes. Erixon is NHL ready in every facet aside from his strength. He could be a bottom pairing guy with Stralman next year. Bickel as the #7. McIlrath has an outside shot. Sauer's health is in question. Can the Rangers land Schultz? Too many unknowns to make your bed on July 1st. I'd expect to see the team possibly pick up a straggler in the fall similar to what they did with Feds and Stralman in the event that they need to fill a hole or two.

Could we use some scoring up front? Absolutely, but our money is invested elsewhere. Invested in the big 3. Invested in the young defense. I'd expect a smart hockey trade to be made to upgrade somewhere. No Nash or Ryan, someone on the tier below who still has some upside. Chris Stewart is on the outs in St. Louis. Lots of teams could be looking for a shake up.

If Sauer is healthy, there's nothing wrong with Erixon, McIlrath, and possibly Schultz starting the year in the AHL. Valentenko is gone. There are some holes there. Hartford should be good next year.
My gut tells me that Dubinsky will be traded for someone like Morrow. Dallas has made it clear that they want to get younger, build a core around Benn, and player like him, and Dubinsky fits the fill. Rangers would probably have to add, guys like Weise, Kundratek, Horak, and Grachev all played NHL minutes this year, I can totally see a Dubinsky and pro ready prospect get moved for Morrow, possibly a swap of picks.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zach Parise is going to get a long term deal. The Rangers already have a nine year commitment with Brad Richards. The Rangers gave Richards a long term commitment because of his relationship with Torts. Richards took less money to sign with the Rangers because of Torts. Ryan Suter has already stated he wants a long term contract. He wants to finish his career with whomever he signs.

The Rangers have many young players coming up for new contracts in the near future. They will all receive significant raises from their current salaries. The Rangers could pay those increases and add other players because the cap has increased every year. That is going to change in the next CBA.

NBA CBA has the cap being flat for the first two years of the CBA. The owners agreed to share more revenue. The players took a % cut. The floor was increased. The money distributed in revenue sharing goes towards feuding the floor. The PA wants more revenue sharing. The NHL teams want the formula to get changed. More teams want revenue sharing dollars. The Garden agreed to that deal with other NBA owners.

The cap stays at $64.3M for the next 2 years,the Rangers have $40M committed in 13-14 on 9 players which doesn't include Chris Kreider and some of the Rangers soon to be free agents this summer. Subtract Brandon Dubinsky and Michael Rupp and add Kreider,its nearly $36M on 8 players. Its going to very tight. Michael Del Zotto is a group II with no arb rights this summer. Ryan McDonagh,Carl Hagelin and Artem Anisimov will be group IIs with arb rights next summer. Derek Stepan will be a group II with no arb rights. You look at Stepan's numbers in his 1st 2 years. He will get $2.5M-$3M per in a 2 year deal. Stepan has a 50-60 point season and he will get that. The two D will cost $3.5M per. Hagelin will come in at $2.5M-$3M. 38 points this season. He gets a 40-50 point year in 12-13. Ryan Callahan got $2.3M in 2009 being arb eligible. AA will cost $3M per. Martin Hanzal money. It will cost $14M-$16M to re-sign those 5 players. Then Kreider is arb eligible in 2014. Then you have the group IIIs coming off the books which will need new contracts in 14.

You still need 5 forwards,3 D and 1 G.

Why not wait until the CBA is settled?See what's in the CBA. Its only a few months.
Do you think the Rangers would be willing to offer Parise a Marian Hossa type deal? Hurts a division rival dearly on top of it. Dubinsky can be moved out for futures for cap space. Or does Parise get a bigger cap hit than Hossa?

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:49 AM
NYR Viper

I am not a Gaborik basher, and I like his play a lot, but if the Rangers can turn Gaborik into real solid assets, say a good young forward + top prospect + 1st.

Then turn around and either get Nash at YOUR price or sign Parise.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:04 AM
bmw2004

Some posters are on drugs here.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Some posters are on drugs here.
What gives you that idea? Come on that Martin St. Louis proposal is reasonable. Del Zotto, Miller, McIlrath, Thomas, 2nd for Marty St. Louis would probably get it done, if they are reluctant maybe Sather could include either Kreider or McD, maybe both. That would certainly pry him from Tampa. Then the top pick in 2013 is assured, maybe 14' and 15' as well. I think that is brilliant.

Last edited by Miamipuck: 05-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As far as moves to improve our offense there is nothing we can possibly do that will put us over the top. As far as that goes our objective is to close the gap with Pittsburgh as much as possible.

The reason is that Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin. Whatever we do they're going to have a better potential offense.

Which is why having a great defense and great goaltending is important. Not to get me wrong I'm all for making moves that will improve our offense but we need to keep our major components of our defense together because it's our strength and because there is no chance we're going to match Malkin-Crosby.
Great point, eco. There is no sense in trying to beat the Pens at their game. Just not going to happen. The Rangers need to keep theri advatages strong (defense and goaltending). Which is why proposals of trading any of the defensemen for "snipers" is ludicrous.

Keep your strengths in goal and defense, the offensive side should get better organically becuase the kids are going to improve. Plus adding someone like a Kreider in will help. And then simply get the PP to a mediocre level.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Your crystal ball must be amazing to predict his career based on 77 NHL games.

I thought I phrased it properly when I said "from what he's shown so far".
I can't predict the future any bettter than anyone else.
We all try to on this board though (that's half the fun).

I'd love to be wrong because I love the way the kid plays, but I have not seen anything yet that would indicate he will be a consistent top six forward year in year out in the NHL.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
My gut tells me that Dubinsky will be traded for someone like Morrow. Dallas has made it clear that they want to get younger, build a core around Benn, and player like him, and Dubinsky fits the fill. Rangers would probably have to add, guys like Weise, Kundratek, Horak, and Grachev all played NHL minutes this year, I can totally see a Dubinsky and pro ready prospect get moved for Morrow, possibly a swap of picks.
Morrow is broken down. He was horrendous this season. Dubinsky has had a down year, but I think his value is better than that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Great point, eco. There is no sense in trying to beat the Pens at their game. Just not going to happen. The Rangers need to keep theri advatages strong (defense and goaltending). Which is why proposals of trading any of the defensemen for "snipers" is ludicrous.

Keep your strengths in goal and defense, the offensive side should get better organically becuase the kids are going to improve. Plus adding someone like a Kreider in will help. And then simply get the PP to a mediocre level.
If erixon and McIlrath are ready then there is potential to move one of the current "D" out in the right deal. If they want to keep assets and try to sign Parise or somone of that ilk that is OK, but at some point they'll have to move some people out because of cap issues.

I agree with you that the identity of the team should remian the same, but they are still one pure goal scorer away from being where they want to be IMO.

Maybe they gamble that Kreider can be that guy and they stand pat this summer?

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

This team desperately needs a 3rd line RW. Huge falloff between Gaborik-Callahan and then Prust. I expect to see Zuccarello resigned. David Jones is about the only guy out there. Maybe David Moss, but he had injury issues all last season, so who knows.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I think Ranger is most undoubtedly counting on Kreider as part of next year's top six. I'm fairly certain that, in a previous interview with Jim Cerny, Gorton said they expect Kreider to make next year's squad as a top 6 forward, and put up 20-25 goals.

I really don't see the Rangers going for a big name forward. I don't see them parting with one of their top 4 D-men, and the uncertainty of the new CBA makes a high-priced acquisition unlikely to me.

Last edited by jas: 05-18-2012 at 09:07 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:59 AM
NYR Viper

I will say it again, I will be surprised if the Rangers don't go out and try to add some offense. They are better off splitting up Gaborik and Richards and getting a big power forward to play with Richards and Hagelin.

If they were indeed that hot in pursuit of Nash, then I expect him to be a Ranger.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are fine cap wise this summer. They only have DZ and Stralman as group IIs. They could wait until the CBA is done before signing DZ. Zuccarello is a group II but he could return to Europe. Prust and Biron are group IIIs. Bickel is a group 6. Stralman could file for salary arbitration. Its following years which are a concern because of the CBA. They have so many players to re-sign. Summer of 2010. The Rangers didn't pursue Kovalchuk. They re-signed Staal and Girardi. The cap went up from $56.8M to $59.4M. They knew the summer of 2011 was a huge summer. Callahan and Dubinsky were free agents again. Both had arb rights. AA was due a raise. The Boyle and Sauer emerged and they got new contracts. It took $13M plus to re-sign all of them. They had $7M to give Richards. The cap increased from $59.4M to $64.3M. They bought out Drury. The Rangers didn't add money in trades. Make the same projections for future. Management gets their drag on the cap. Cap stays flat like the NBA. The players get a break on escrow. The Rangers have a huge summer next summer and beyond. They managed their cap in 2010 for 2011.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Reijo R

Some points:

- A player like McI is sorely needed here; doubt he's going anywhere
- Can't see how they afford Parise and be able to re-sign all the kids
- Why would Schultz sign with a team with a stacked young D-corps?
- I'd be willing to deal Stepan, Erixon and a 1st for a big time forward

Not to pile on Stepan, he's a wonderful kid, but he's not physically able to succeed in playoff hockey; the kid is too weak and too slow. For all the guff Gaborik has gotten over the playoffs, where's the criticism of Stepan? Can't win a battle on the boards, can't win a faceoff, can't skate....can't do anything, really.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Can the Rangers pry another McDonagh from some team in a deal for Dubinsky? Clark said the Rangers staff compiles a list of 5 young players/prospects they covet from each team. They free up the space and add another young piece who makes entry level money for the next 2-3 years.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
NYR Viper

I just think it would be a BIG mistake for this team to sit idle when their window is obviously opening to challenge for The Cup. They need more truculence on the 3rd line, they need to improve their PP. they need another legit top-6 forward and they need a legit 6th defenseman who can play 15 minutes a night.

They have holes to fill.

Maybe they see Erixon or McIlrath filling that 3rd pairing spot? At this point I doubt Sauer will be ready.

By 3rd line truculence I mean a player who can score 15 goals and add 15-20 assists and stir things up. A Chris Neil, Steve Ott-like player. Honestly, the player who I would love to add is Kyle Beach from Chicago if they have soured on him and feel they don't have room for him.

I would be hoping the Rangers would be looking around trying to find a legit top-6 forward from the numerous teams who would be looking to off-load and rebuild. I would look at teams like SJ who may be willing to move a Clowe or Marleau and go from there.

Just some ideas.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Some points:

- A player like McI is sorely needed here; doubt he's going anywhere
- Can't see how they afford Parise and be able to re-sign all the kids
- Why would Schultz sign with a team with a stacked young D-corps?
- I'd be willing to deal Stepan, Erixon and a 1st for a big time forward

Not to pile on Stepan, he's a wonderful kid, but he's not physically able to succeed in playoff hockey; the kid is too weak and too slow. For all the guff Gaborik has gotten over the playoffs, where's the criticism of Stepan? Can't win a battle on the boards, can't win a faceoff, can't skate....can't do anything, really.
Stepan has 8 points in 16 games this year in the playoffs. He is 21. I would hold onto him.