HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 06:10 PM
predseth

vCash: 500
I think I would too. Just trying to hammer out the details. I'm starting to think it may be more like 500K added to each year making 10 years 69 million. You also have to factor in that you would probably be getting at least a 2nd if not a 1st rounder back if you traded his rights. The big question is if he is looking more for term/$$ or chance to win. Seems like a lot of players want to win, but will sacrifice their chances over a small increase in money.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predseth View Post
I think I would too. Just trying to hammer out the details. I'm starting to think it may be more like 500K added to each year making 10 years 69 million. You also have to factor in that you would probably be getting at least a 2nd if not a 1st rounder back if you traded his rights. The big question is if he is looking more for term/$$ or chance to win. Seems like a lot of players want to win, but will sacrifice their chances over a small increase in money.
Another thing to consider is the rumor that he wants to be "the man" and is sick of living in Weber's shadow. All speculation of course, but that would rule out places like Nashville and Boston

Old
05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
I think he is better than Pronger & Niedermayer but would put Pronger as a little more desirable in the past based on intimidation. However Pronger playing like he did earlier in his career would be sitting out a long time with suspensions so I think the intimidation factor is now diminishing.

The other part? Nick never had to be physical and every GM in the league would have sold their soul to get him.

Nashville fans deserve to have Suter back but I think that you guys still suffer a little from not having the hockey tradition that many other cities have. You keep the enthusiasm and committment going though, you guys will start being known as a hockey destination.
I disagree with the other poster's assertion that Suter relies on Weber to provide the physical presence on that pair. Suter isn't the physical guy on the pairing. No one will argue that. Weber is the guy who brings the toughness between the two. However, Suter is very adept at using his body to separate guys from the puck along the boards, which is exactly the type of physical play a defenseman needs. Hitting is nice, and if you do it enough not only can you intimidate but you can tire the other team out. Not hitting does not mean a player isn't physical.

I view Lidstrom in much the same way. He isn't going to punish people, but he doesn't have to. His play will get in the heads of the opponents as much as, if not more than, a hard hit will. Hell, Kronwall skates around looking for guys trying to break out of the zone along the right side boards, and when he finds them he annihilates them. It doesn't seem to stop many people from trying since he continues to get those hits

Old
05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Another thing to consider is the rumor that he wants to be "the man" and is sick of living in Weber's shadow. All speculation of course, but that would rule out places like Nashville and Boston
Suter has said he doesn't like the limelight (assume he's telling the truth).

I don't think he's close to Progner/Niedermayer class. Pronger has taken several teams on his back deep into the playoffs and has been absolutely dominant. While solid, Suter is not in his class and I don't think he ever will be. Taking out the phsyical play, he does not have the offensive abilities of Pronger either.

Sure, Lidstorm doesn't have much of a physical element much like Suter, but he's the smartest player to ever play the game and has elite offensive abilities as well (one of the best passers in history). His consistency ranks as one the best ever (if not the best). Suter's already having consistency issues at 27.

I think there's a chance we'll resign him (I think more of a chance than people think). I'm just on the fence if he's worth it and if he can keep up consistent motivation the next 7-10 years. In an ideal world, he'd sign a contract without a NTC, but I don't see that happening.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:50 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by predseth View Post
Let's say all of the negotiating gets it down to a 10 year $64 million dollar contract. Do you, David Poile, sign that contract?

Cap hit of 6.4M
Year: Amount:
1 7M
2 7.5M
3 8M
4 8.5M
5 8M
6 7M
7 6M
8 5M
9 4M
10 3M
He better sign him before July 1 then since quite a few other teams will probably top that offer.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:50 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I am wondering something, if Suter wants to finish his career somewhere with this next contract, could it be he wants to stay here but Poile is reluctant to offer basically a lifetime contract? What if Poile was offering a deal like Rinne's and Suter said, it's not the money but the term, that he'd like a 10 year deal as opposed to a 7 year deal. Could that be the hold up?

Old
05-18-2012, 08:28 AM
NoNecksCurse

no way glen. he wants to test the market to see what his value around the league is. he'll be signed by the second or third day of free agency

Old
05-18-2012, 08:28 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I am wondering something, if Suter wants to finish his career somewhere with this next contract, could it be he wants to stay here but Poile is reluctant to offer basically a lifetime contract? What if Poile was offering a deal like Rinne's and Suter said, it's not the money but the term, that he'd like a 10 year deal as opposed to a 7 year deal. Could that be the hold up?
I doubt it. I think it's just a matter of wanting to play somewhere else.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:21 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
I've always wondered where that line of thinking comes from, because I haven't heard anything--from Suter or anyone close to him--that would indicate this. Is it just something that media guys have kinda made up?

With all the possible things going through Suter's mind, this seems the least likely.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:24 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I've wondered this too. What's the longest deal Poile has ever signed someone to?

I know the era of super long-term contracts is kinda new, and usually the tail end doesn't pay the player too much...but usually that's with aging players who you really don't expect to play out the entire contract, so you pay them peanuts towards the end. With Suter though, barring injury or whatever, it's reasonable to think that he will actually play the next 10 years so every year of that contract would have to be for significant dollars.

Contracts that long make me nervous...obviously if the player sustains a career-ending or career-altering injury, you're totally screwed. I wonder how the uncertainty of the new CBA plays into this also?

Old
05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Forgive me. I've been out of the Nashville Predators loop for about a week. Has this rumor grown legs, or is it still something we've been tossing around here?

Old
05-18-2012, 09:30 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I've wondered this too. What's the longest deal Poile has ever signed someone to?

I know the era of super long-term contracts is kinda new, and usually the tail end doesn't pay the player too much...but usually that's with aging players who you really don't expect to play out the entire contract, so you pay them peanuts towards the end. With Suter though, barring injury or whatever, it's reasonable to think that he will actually play the next 10 years so every year of that contract would have to be for significant dollars.

Contracts that long make me nervous...obviously if the player sustains a career-ending or career-altering injury, you're totally screwed. I wonder how the uncertainty of the new CBA plays into this also?
With a player like Suter who plays a responsible game, isn't very injury prone and is worth a large amount of money I don't think you can really limit yourself on term length. In fact, I don't think you can put much of any limit on anything. Sure you can have a top end cap hit. Suter isn't worth more than $7m/yr on average, but he could be worth $8-$9m in real dollars for a few seasons.

I think if Suter came to Poile and said, "I want 10 years, $70m" that's something Poile couldn't scoff at. He would be dumb not to try to work it down since that's his job, but he'd need to think long and hard about not just giving that to him.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:34 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
With a player like Suter who plays a responsible game, isn't very injury prone and is worth a large amount of money I don't think you can really limit yourself on term length. In fact, I don't think you can put much of any limit on anything. Sure you can have a top end cap hit. Suter isn't worth more than $7m/yr on average, but he could be worth $8-$9m in real dollars for a few seasons.

I think if Suter came to Poile and said, "I want 10 years, $70m" that's something Poile couldn't scoff at. He would be dumb not to try to work it down since that's his job, but he'd need to think long and hard about not just giving that to him.
True.

As a GM, would you give him whatever term and dollar amount he wanted (as long as it averaged $7m/year) AND a NTC?

Seems like players of his caliber almost always get a NTC...(except for one team I can't remember at the moment whose GM simply says that nobody gets one).

Old
05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
True.

As a GM, would you give him whatever term and dollar amount he wanted (as long as it averaged $7m/year) AND a NTC?

Seems like players of his caliber almost always get a NTC...(except for one team I can't remember at the moment whose GM simply says that nobody gets one).
You might as well. It can be a restricted NTC or NMC where the player CAN be traded, but has to submit a list of teams. He cannot be traded except to those teams. I think that's how it works, anyway. I'll check the CBA after breakfast

Old
05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
adsfan

Quote:

I could be wrong, but Pekka's contract was for 7 years.

Old
05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
29dryden29

Just talking to Abbadon and we heard Pete Weber say Suter is heading to market. This was on NHL Home Ice on sat radio.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Just talking to Abbadon and we heard Pete Weber say Suter is heading to market. This was on NHL Home Ice on sat radio.
No shock at all there

Old
05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
No shock at all there
No not at all I just think it holds bigger implications now for Weber as he holds arbitration rights now over Poile. I can see him opting to take the team this season and then taking the 1 year deal to become UFA after next season. Also what does this do for the UFAs you guys used all your picks for this season do they now sign more easily or do they balk this opens a big can of worms for Poile to try and fix.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
No not at all I just think it holds bigger implications now for Weber as he holds arbitration rights now over Poile. I can see him opting to take the team this season and then taking the 1 year deal to become UFA after next season. Also what does this do for the UFAs you guys used all your picks for this season do they now sign more easily or do they balk this opens a big can of worms for Poile to try and fix.
Agreed, this could be Poile's last hurrah in my opinion with this franchise, particularly if he can't keep the homegrown talent he says he'd like to keep ... messy, messy situation ... BUT

Old
05-21-2012, 05:13 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Agreed, this could be Poile's last hurrah in my opinion with this franchise, particularly if he can't keep the homegrown talent he says he'd like to keep ... messy, messy situation ... BUT

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out for sure. I was just informed that you guys could lose up to possibly 15 guys that would really hurt.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Agreed, this could be Poile's last hurrah in my opinion with this franchise, particularly if he can't keep the homegrown talent he says he'd like to keep ... messy, messy situation ...
If the rumors that Poile is only in it for another couple of seasons are true, then he might not be sweating it much. Like you said, this was probably his go for it.

Now I do believe Poile is a high character guy and he's not going to leave Fenton (or whoever is next) in a mess. But still, when it comes down to "character" or finally winning a cup on the way out, he might leave a few loose ends.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
NoNecksCurse

ive known suter to be gone for awhile.. oh well, we will survive

Old
05-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Will be interesting to see how this all plays out for sure. I was just informed that you guys could lose up to possibly 15 guys that would really hurt.
It would certainly leave a TON of money to play with though

and if it's a bunch of mid-level guys that come in to replace them, at least we've got the perfect coach for that type of roster.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
It would certainly leave a TON of money to play with though

and if it's a bunch of mid-level guys that come in to replace them, at least we've got the perfect coach for that type of roster.
This is true just would suck to be almost back to square one after a number of seasons of being at or near the top.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:25 PM
PredsFanFromla

If Suter is really going to test the market,i hope he doesn't sign with the wings,canucks,or philly,he can sign with any other nhl teams except for those three

Closed Thread