HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Continue here

Old
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
wej20

Wonder when we'll here if we sign Uher. If a prospect is signed but back in junior does he count in a contract spot?

Old
05-17-2012, 08:39 PM
clefty
What?

No.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:43 PM
wej20

Thanks clefty.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Jacob

So then it's agreed, Sissons is a complete piece of crap.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Flat Stanley

I don't think Sissons is a piece of crap.

I don't care who we draft, my question to you guys is, who do you want at 22?

Old
05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I don't think Sissons is a piece of crap.

I don't care who we draft, my question to you guys is, who do you want at 22?

I'm not sure exactly who I want, but what I can say is, oftentimes in a "weak" draft like this one, some of the best players end up being guys who are playing at lowers levels and are thus less-known & less developed (i.e. guys playing high school hockey, tier-2 junior, etc.)

Who are guys who fit into that category this year?

Old
05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Left Of The Dial

Polling the consensus gives Gaunce, Hertl, Skjei, Vasilevski, and Lindholm from 20-24.

Vasilevski's a goalie and Hertl has skating issues, so I would be surprised if either of those guys were on the Pens radar. Lindholm sounds like an Erik Karlsson type, high-risk/high-reward, raw offensive defenseman (I wonder how much his stock is being helped by Karlsson's play).

Gaunce brings size, intangibles, and packs a solid scoring punch. I would be surprised if he were around at 22ish. Skjei sounds like he was made in a Ray Shero wet dream: American defenseman with high-end skating ability, but doesn't use his size as well as he should.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Jacob

I like Vasilevsky, as a matter of fact. His upside is huge and he'd probably be ready to be an NHL starter (if all goes well) just about when Fleury's contract is coming to an end. Houser is a goalie I'd look at in the later rounds.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
Polling the consensus gives Gaunce, Hertl, Skjei, Vasilevski, and Lindholm from 20-24.

Vasilevski's a goalie and Hertl has skating issues, so I would be surprised if either of those guys were on the Pens radar. Lindholm sounds like an Erik Karlsson type, high-risk/high-reward, raw offensive defenseman (I wonder how much his stock is being helped by Karlsson's play).

Gaunce brings size, intangibles, and packs a solid scoring punch. I would be surprised if he were around at 22ish. Skjei sounds like he was made in a Ray Shero wet dream: American defenseman with high-end skating ability, but doesn't use his size as well as he should.
I might be jumping the gun here, but if Shero is seriously contemplating moving Staal in the not so distant future, I actually think he could target a guy like Gaunce. I'm not sure he's got Staal's offensive upside, but he projects to be a similar type of player -- good two-way center who is good along the boards, and who can chip in 15 to 20 goals, 40+ points.

In the games I saw, he seemed to excel at a lot of the same things Staal does. Gaunce is more of a playmaker than Staal, though, but likely won't match Staal's goal scoring.

Put it this way. If Gaunce and Scissons are both available when the Pens pick, I'd rather they went with Gaunce.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:51 AM
JTG

I'd definitely look into drafting a goaltender, regardless of what the "only good goaltenders are undrafted" camp says.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:21 AM
wej20

don't like the sound of Skjei, I'd rather go for a guy like Dalton Thrower, Letang sized and plays with some snarl. Good Skater and good shot.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:38 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
So he's Manny Malhotra. Great.
Or he could be more defensive RJ Umberger ...

Anyway, if somehow Pontus Aberg slips down, we should him.

Quote:
Pontus Aberg : With game-breaking speed, Pontus Åberg is an effective two-way scorer with rare explosiveness, grit and finish.

Quote:
They say that speed kills, and if thats true then Aberg is a stone cold killer. He’s an extremely fast skater, with great top end speed. He’s agile and shifty, has great balance, good acceleration, and excellent edgework. Aberg combines this skating with an excellent arsenal of shots. He has a hard, heavy wrist shot which he gets off quickly thanks to a great release. He also has a heavy slapshot and a good one timer. Aberg is a good stickhandler who makes creative moves and is able to beat defenders off the rush. Aberg is a much better goal scorer than a set up man. He definitely prefers to shoot rather than pass. As a set up man, he lacks ideal vision and passing instincts.

Aberg is courageous player, how loves to get involved involved in physical play. He is willing to battle hard on the boards and works hard to get to the front of the net. Aberg is an aggressive forechecker who just loves to get in and hit the man with the puck. He’s an absolute fearless player. Aberg will need to put on more size and strength to continue to play this style at the next level.

Aberg is a hard working defensive player, and a willing backchecker. However he lacks natural defensive instincts, and often has a tendency to get out of position by running around in his own end. His defensive game can best be described as a work in progress.

We compare Aberg’s game to a cross between Brian Gionta of the Montreal Canadiens, and Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders. We feel he has the potential to become a goal scoring top 6 winger at the next level.
I would love to get a prospect who can fly !

Last edited by PenguinTommy: 05-18-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old
05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I'm not sure exactly who I want, but what I can say is, oftentimes in a "weak" draft like this one, some of the best players end up being guys who are playing at lowers levels and are thus less-known & less developed (i.e. guys playing high school hockey, tier-2 junior, etc.)

Who are guys who fit into that category this year?
Mark Jankowski? Though he seems more like a guy you trade down to get and snag an extra 2nd rounder. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:01 AM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anybody have any insight on Tom Wilson (Plymouth Whalers)?

Old
05-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I get a Mike Rupp vibe to be honest.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'd definitely look into drafting a goaltender, regardless of what the "only good goaltenders are undrafted" camp says.
Goaltending is easily the weakest position among our prospect group. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted a goalie in the 1st round in the slightest. I know people want flashy forwards, but there aren't many available in this draft, and we don't really need to draft any more defensemen (although Shero may think otherwise).

Old
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Does anybody have any insight on Tom Wilson (Plymouth Whalers)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I always got a Jared Boll vibe.

Wilson's got some tools, like a pretty good shot. But IMO, he hasn't shown much yet to suggest he's got enough offensive upside to ever be more than a 3rd or 4th line enforcer/physical player. Physical, can scrap, and isn't devoid of skill. But in the games I watched, I saw someone closer to a Boll/Shawn Thornton/Mike Rupp than I did a Milan Lucic.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:37 AM
wej20

seems like he's at a similar level to Lucic when he was drafted? maybe not quite as ferocious a fighter? Lucic went in the 2nd round and was considered somewhat of a off book pick.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
i'm all for someone named after an ancient greek sea-god.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post

I'd love to somehow get him or Collberg. But forward talent seems so scarce this draft, that they'll be taken before us for sure.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I always got a Jared Boll vibe.

Wilson's got some tools, like a pretty good shot. But IMO, he hasn't shown much yet to suggest he's got enough offensive upside to ever be more than a 3rd or 4th line enforcer/physical player. Physical, can scrap, and isn't devoid of skill. But in the games I watched, I saw someone closer to a Boll/Shawn Thornton/Mike Rupp than I did a Milan Lucic.
Thanks. If that's his potential, then the Pens are probably better picking someone else. I just noticed his size (6'4, 200 was what I read) and position (RW), and was hopeful.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
seems like he's at a similar level to Lucic when he was drafted? maybe not quite as ferocious a fighter? Lucic went in the 2nd round and was considered somewhat of a off book pick.
I think their situations are different in that Lucic was drafted after putting up rather mediocre numbers, but it was his first year in the WHL. His second season in the WHL saw him score 30 goals.

Wilson, on the other hand, has now had 2 seasons to get adjusted to the OHL, and still isn't showing much in the way of offensive production. I can excuse the poor numbers as a rookie, but I would have liked to have seen a significant jump in production his second year.

Who knows. He did have a pretty good playoffs, so maybe that's a sign of things to come. But I'm just not a fan of taking chances on a kid who has done very little offensively in two seasons in major junior with a first round pick. If he's around when the Pens pick in round 2 or 3? Okay, go for it.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
wej20

sounds like he could be good value with a 2nd (especially a team with multiple 2nds) but he's pretty low upside with a 1st round.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Valarukar

One of the reasons I like Hertl is that he is decent size and already plays against men and also that he seems to have big upside while still being a somewhat safe pick

Closed Thread