HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Watch 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2012, 01:02 AM
  #26
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
$3-400. Could be worse.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:03 AM
  #27
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,730
vCash: 1081
If there's a lockout, will the AHL season still happen? If so, I'd assume most Wild players would play in Houston, the SEL, or SM-liiga.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:04 AM
  #28
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
man watch this, we'll get a lock out and we'll end up with some dumb prospect roulette ******** as a bridging point and Minnesota will lose every good prospect. we will then watch as all of Granlund, Brodin, Coyle develop into super stars and we end up with <insert minnesota born prospect here that isn't any good>


Last edited by Jarick: 05-17-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: profanity
forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:08 AM
  #29
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
If there's a lockout, will the AHL season still happen? If so, I'd assume most Wild players would play in Houston, the SEL, or SM-liiga.
AHL season would still happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
man watch this, we'll get a lock out and we'll end up with some gay prospect roulette ******** as a bridging point and Minnesota will lose every good prospect. we will then watch as all of Granlund, Brodin, Coyle develop into super stars and we end up with <insert minnesota born prospect here that isn't any good>
Honestly, a lock-out would work wonders for our prospects. If they would all be able to play together in the AHL together, with others playing overseas, that would be wonderful for their development. The lockout was huge, in my opinion, for helping the 2003 become one of the greatest draft classes ever. They got a year (almost) without pressure, to just develop. Since we have one of the better draft classes, we'd be able to come back a much better team.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:08 AM
  #30
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,730
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
man watch this, we'll get a lock out and we'll end up with some dumb prospect roulette ******** as a bridging point and Minnesota will lose every good prospect. we will then watch as all of Granlund, Brodin, Coyle develop into super stars and we end up with <insert minnesota born prospect here that isn't any good>
Or their development will get screwed up.

Edit: Well, I'm thinking mainly about Granlund. He's essentially NHL-ready. I just want to see this kid play.


Last edited by Jarick: 05-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:24 AM
  #31
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Or their development will get screwed up.
they all suffer deep irreversible emotional trauma causing them to be afraid to step on the ice

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:34 AM
  #32
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,730
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
they all suffer deep irreversible emotional trauma causing them to be afraid to step on the ice
I suffer from this very same condition.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:47 AM
  #33
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
man watch this, we'll get a lock out and we'll end up with some gay prospect roulette ******** as a bridging point and Minnesota will lose every good prospect. we will then watch as all of Granlund, Brodin, Coyle develop into super stars and we end up with <insert minnesota born prospect here that isn't any good>
Or we'll end up with Sidney Crosby.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:56 AM
  #34
tyratoku
Registered User
 
tyratoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Or we'll end up with Sidney Crosby.

tyratoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:57 AM
  #35
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,764
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
$3-400. Could be worse.
$289 for the end attacked once to $429 for on the glass. 32 home games. I think I may be able to come up with that somehow if there is a lockout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Or we'll end up with Sidney Crosby.
Yeah right, were not big enough league darlings for that to happen. Plus were not in the east.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:30 AM
  #36
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 12,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Or we'll end up with Sidney Crosby.
No. The Oilers will. They're pond scum that likes to steal things.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
  #37
vitogor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Honestly, a lock-out would work wonders for our prospects. If they would all be able to play together in the AHL together, with others playing overseas, that would be wonderful for their development. The lockout was huge, in my opinion, for helping the 2003 become one of the greatest draft classes ever. They got a year (almost) without pressure, to just develop. Since we have one of the better draft classes, we'd be able to come back a much better team.
I am glad somebody brought it up. I've been thinking about that for a while, but didn't want to say it outloud because I didn't want to get flamed

Anyway, in a strange and twisted way, I think a lockout is the best thing that could happen to our team. It's like a free development year for all the prospects, but without the pressure, or the anguish of the growing pains. Last time around, the lockout did wonders for Burns, Koivu, and PMB, among others.

But of course, lockout also means no NHL hockey

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:53 AM
  #38
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
There's not going to be a lockout. Last year the NHL made $2.9 billion and I'm sure it will be better than that this year with Winnipeg. Lockout = $0. Nobody wants to go through that again.

Again, look at the Vikings stadium. They were all but one a few weeks ago, remember?

It's negotiating tactics.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
  #39
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
I am glad somebody brought it up. I've been thinking about that for a while, but didn't want to say it outloud because I didn't want to get flamed

Anyway, in a strange and twisted way, I think a lockout is the best thing that could happen to our team. It's like a free development year for all the prospects, but without the pressure, or the anguish of the growing pains. Last time around, the lockout did wonders for Burns, Koivu, and PMB, among others.

But of course, lockout also means no NHL hockey
yeah but GMCF isn't a dumb **** like the other guy was, he'll see if a guy isn't up to par and send him to develop else where. NHL cannot afford a lock out, they are growing and getting some national attention back, if there is a lock out ESPN will do all they can to drag the NHL through the ****.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:06 AM
  #40
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
This will be my only post in this thread on account of not wanting to rack up too many infractions...



Any statement about an "impending lockout" is incredibily foolish at best. While the league actually filing for the termination of the CBA is surprising, the fact that they did it before the deadline is rather telling.

This action means absolutely nothing vis a vis a lockout.

In fact, multiple seasons have been played without a CBA in place. The most likely comparable to this season is not 04-05 as that was such a completely different scenario, it has absolutely no relevance on the current situation, and basically should not even be referenced if people are talking about upcoming collective bargaining. Instead, the most comparable is likely the 91-92 season which was started without an agreement in place, and played until just before the playoffs, when the players instituted a strike. That strike lasted all of 9 days before an agreement was reached to bridge the previous CBA through the playoffs and the next season.


It's also extremely important to note, while in the NFL last year teams were immediately forbidden from communicating with the players or dealing with them at all, that will never be the case in the NHL. The existing CBA runs through September 15, 2012 no matter what either side does. That means the draft will go on as usual, player contracts can be signed, the July 1 start of free agency will continue unhindered. Contrary to the fearmongering claim quoted in the OP, it's highly unlikely that things like rookie camp will be cancelled. Team activities can and will continue like normal until the expiration of the existing CBA on 9/15/12. Beyond that point, considering the non-adversarial position the league is attempting to posture for, and the much greater potential negative impact to the players, the season will almost certainly begin on time, continue through normally, and an agreement be reached prior to the playoffs of next season. It's at that time that we're most likely to have issues as immediately before the playoffs is when the players have the most power. In this situation, a playoff strike is far more likely than any sort of lockout behavior by the owners.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:25 AM
  #41
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
This will be my only post in this thread on account of not wanting to rack up too many infractions...



Any statement about an "impending lockout" is incredibily foolish at best. While the league actually filing for the termination of the CBA is surprising, the fact that they did it before the deadline is rather telling.

This action means absolutely nothing vis a vis a lockout.

In fact, multiple seasons have been played without a CBA in place. The most likely comparable to this season is not 04-05 as that was such a completely different scenario, it has absolutely no relevance on the current situation, and basically should not even be referenced if people are talking about upcoming collective bargaining. Instead, the most comparable is likely the 91-92 season which was started without an agreement in place, and played until just before the playoffs, when the players instituted a strike. That strike lasted all of 9 days before an agreement was reached to bridge the previous CBA through the playoffs and the next season.


It's also extremely important to note, while in the NFL last year teams were immediately forbidden from communicating with the players or dealing with them at all, that will never be the case in the NHL. The existing CBA runs through September 15, 2012 no matter what either side does. That means the draft will go on as usual, player contracts can be signed, the July 1 start of free agency will continue unhindered. Contrary to the fearmongering claim quoted in the OP, it's highly unlikely that things like rookie camp will be cancelled. Team activities can and will continue like normal until the expiration of the existing CBA on 9/15/12. Beyond that point, considering the non-adversarial position the league is attempting to posture for, and the much greater potential negative impact to the players, the season will almost certainly begin on time, continue through normally, and an agreement be reached prior to the playoffs of next season. It's at that time that we're most likely to have issues as immediately before the playoffs is when the players have the most power. In this situation, a playoff strike is far more likely than any sort of lockout behavior by the owners.

so what you are saying is the Wild will make the playoffs and then there will be a player strike so we won't get to watch our team in the playoffs

yeah i can totally see this happening

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
  #42
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
This will be my only post in this thread on account of not wanting to rack up too many infractions...
Look forward to this...








It all depends on what the three sides involved want and will be willing to damage their entire golden egg in order to get what they want..

So far, there has yet to be any major angry rhetoric being thrown around...

Issues that will be polarizing;
1. Re-Alignment (owners/league/players)
2. League Discipline (owners/players)
3. Salaries/Revenue (owners/league/Players)
4. Escrows (players)

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
  #43
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
The one good thing that has been mentioned is that discipline will be an issue for the PA. Hopefully they can give Shanahan the boot.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
  #44
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,370
vCash: 50
biggest sticking point as i said waaaaaay earlier is revenue sharing. insurance premiums have skyrocketed so the old agreement isn't nearly as equitable as it was when it was signed.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  #45
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
$289 for the end attacked once to $429 for on the glass. 32 home games. I think I may be able to come up with that somehow if there is a lockout.
You'll get to see Team USA and a good number of draft picks. Plus, Anze Kopitar's little brother Gasper, the friendly hockey player!

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:09 PM
  #46
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
biggest sticking point as i said waaaaaay earlier is revenue sharing. insurance premiums have skyrocketed so the old agreement isn't nearly as equitable as it was when it was signed.
from the player perspective, i think the two big things are escrow and discipline.
players won't get paid any less than before if the cap is scaled back and escrow is done away with...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:12 AM
  #47
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 500
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the league reduce the salary cap rather than expand it. That means just that many more teams won't have enough space for Parise.

Although it could cause quite a cluster **** for the teams that are already at the cap I suppose.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
  #48
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,764
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the league reduce the salary cap rather than expand it. That means just that many more teams won't have enough space for Parise.

Although it could cause quite a cluster **** for the teams that are already at the cap I suppose.
They would have some kind of provisions in there to make sure that doesnt happen, either salary rollback proportional to the cap rollback, or some other mechanism.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.