HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Carolina

Old
05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Chicago-Carolina

Tim Brent

Michael Frolik

Canes get a young forward signed for two more years, upside is there, former 20 goal scorer twice, good defensively and in playoffs, would do much better to move back to the East IMO. Hawks get a 4th line center for next year and clear a little cap.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

vCash: 500
This is interesting for both teams. But I think Frolik bombed too hard in Chicago for teams to have any interest. He is a reclamation project now, and GM's won't want to roll the dice when he is signed for two more seasons at 2.3~ish.

It's a good hockey deal. But the money would get in the way.

However, this is a move that seems like Carolina's style. A "20 goal potential" winger who doesn't click with the team he is on anymore. Do the Canes want a potential scoring winger?

sarcasm: Maybe the blackhawks can agree to pay the rest of Jeremy Welsh's salary to even it out? /sarcasm

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
This is interesting for both teams. But I think Frolik bombed too hard in Chicago for teams to have any interest. He is a reclamation project now, and GM's won't want to roll the dice when he is signed for two more seasons at 2.3~ish.

However, this is a move that seems like Carolina's style. A "20 goal potential" winger who doesn't click with the team he is on anymore. Do the Canes want a potential scoring winger?

sarcasm: Maybe the blackhawks can agree to pay the rest of Jeremy Welsh's salary to even it out? /sarcasm
Definitely need a scoring winger, and the team is WAY below the cap. This is actually a pretty well thought out deal. Not sure if JR would gamble on Frolik with 2 years left, but 2.3 isn't a killer contract. And we have Riley Nash in the system right now ready to take over for Brent but without a roster spot to do so.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Definitely need a scoring winger, and the team is WAY below the cap. This is actually a pretty well thought out deal. Not sure if JR would gamble on Frolik with 2 years left, but 2.3 isn't a killer contract. And we have Riley Nash in the system right now ready to take over for Brent but without a roster spot to do so.
Then it looks like the deal might have legs.

Frolik is only 24, so this isn't a Samsonov-type acquisition. This could end up real good for the Canes if Frolik can land on his feet. Seems like a god move.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Then it looks like the deal might have legs.

Frolik is only 24, so this isn't a Samsonov-type acquisition. This could end up real good for the Canes if Frolik can land on his feet. Seems like a god move.
Yeah, right now the Canes have 44 million tied up in payroll for next season with only 4 players to re-sign: Drayson Bowman, Bryan Allen, Jamie McBain, and Jeremy Welsh. Assuming we don't see another 18 million dollar cap hit with Welsh they're probably going to be right around 50 million with those re-signings if not a hair shy of it. Even if JR uses that cap space to go after a big time UFA forward as has been rumored, there's still a ton of room.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
I like this deal, the cap hit is fine and 2 years ain't that bad worse case anyway, I like Brent, but I think JR would do this if the phone rang. Besides, I'd rather pick up a bit of cap space in a few trades like this, than go the Florida route last year and over pay FA's just to get to the floor.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Personally I think a team would be willing to offer more for Frolik. Like you said, his cap hit is only 2.3m (I'm used to seeing 15m+ cap spent on garbage players) and he did get those 20 goal seasons before while still only being 24. Looking at his stats too it seems Frolik has only played bad in Chicago, change of scenery could really help.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
I like this deal, the cap hit is fine and 2 years ain't that bad worse case anyway, I like Brent, but I think JR would do this if the phone rang. Besides, I'd rather pick up a bit of cap space in a few trades like this, than go the Florida route last year and over pay FA's just to get to the floor.
Yeah, that's the way to go IMO. You could find a number of guys in Frolik's situation that you don't have to commit 4 or 5 years to.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Frolik's actual salary over next 2 years will be 2.1M and 1.9M

So it is even more appealing to teams that need to add cap hit's higher then there actual costs (Frolik carries 2.33M cap hit)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Keep Brent, just give us a 3rd or 4th for Frolik

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote