HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
05-17-2012, 12:24 PM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Official Roster

Pos.PlayerTeamLeague
C Armands Bērziņš Beibarys KAZ
LW Mārtiņš Cipulis Dinamo Riga KHL
LW Lauris Dārziņš Dinamo Riga KHL
LW Kaspars Daugaviņš Genθve-Servette NLA
C Zemgus Girgensons Buffalo Sabres NHL
RW Miks Indrašis Dinamo Riga KHL
LW Koba Jass Liberec CZE
RW Mārtiņš Karsums Dynamo Moscow KHL
LW Ronalds Ķēniņš ZSC NLA
RW Vitālijs Pavlovs Dinamo Riga KHL
RW Miķelis Rēdlihs Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL
C Jānis Sprukts Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL
RW Juris Štāls Poprad SVK
C Herberts Vasiļjevs Krefeld DEL
D Oskars Bārtulis Donbass Donetsk KHL
D Ralfs Freibergs Bowling Green State NCAA
D Artūrs Kulda Salavat Yulayev Ufa KHL
D Sandis Ozoliņš Dinamo Riga KHL
D Georgijs Pujacs Dinamo Riga KHL
D Krišjānis Rēdlihs Dinamo Riga KHL
D Arvīds Reķis Dinamo Riga KHL
D Kristaps Sotnieks Dinamo Riga KHL
G Kristers Gudļevskis Syracuse Crunch AHL
G Ervīns Muštukovs Esbjerg DEN
G Edgars Masaļskis Yugra KHL

Last edited by Systemfel: 01-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.
BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Team Latvia- M.Redlihs-Sprukts-Darzins
Indrasis-Girgensons-K.Daugavins
Rihards Bukarts-Sirokovs-K.Pelss
T.Blugers-Bicevskis-M.Karsums
E.Masalskis
M.Jucers
Mustokovs
Serious question -- do all Latvian names end in "s", or is that just a coincidence on this roster?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:30 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Serious question -- do all Latvian names end in "s", or is that just a coincidence on this roster?
Most latvian names do end with s,not all but of most of them,so yes.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:04 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Team Latvia- M.Redlihs-Sprukts-Darzins
Indrasis-Girgensons-K.Daugavins
Rihards Bukarts-Sirokovs-K.Pelss
T.Blugers-Bicevskis-M.Karsums
E.Masalskis
M.Jucers
Mustokovs
no Bartulis?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
no Bartulis?
I didn`t list d`s so obviously hes not on list.I was just beeing lazy

Old
05-18-2012, 12:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Most latvian names do end with s,not all but of most of them,so yes.
Thanks!

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:45 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Interesting thread, but shouldn't we qualify for this tournament before we think about the final roster?

I love how everyone now thinks of Indrasis as the second coming of Jesus. I'll laugh when he will fall flat on his face next year with DR.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:55 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Our language requires that every word (even foreigner surnames), in order to get implemented in a proper sentence, ends with a handful of letters. Usually these letters are "s", "š", "a", "e" sometimes "o", "ē", "ā", "i" or "ī", but these last ones are quite rare.

I'm 99% sure that your surname in our language would end with one of the letters I listed, for example if your last name is Brown or Smith, in Latvian your surname would end with "s". If you have a French sounding surname, most likely your last name will end with the letters from the second bunch I listed.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Interesting thread, but shouldn't we qualify for this tournament before we think about the final roster?

I love how everyone now thinks of Indrasis as the second coming of Jesus. I'll laugh when he will fall flat on his face next year with DR.
What if he doesn`t? You are no better than us who believe that Indrasis can make it.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Who is that guy? Harry Potter? (sry about my bad jokes today )

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Our language requires that every word (even foreigner surnames), in order to get implemented in a proper sentence, ends with a handful of letters. Usually these letters are "s", "š", "a", "e" sometimes "o", "ē", "ā", "i" or "ī", but these last ones are quite rare.

I'm 99% sure that your surname in our language would end with one of the letters I listed, for example if your last name is Brown or Smith, in Latvian your surname would end with "s". If you have a French sounding surname, most likely your last name will end with the letters from the second bunch I listed.

So I guess all danish/norwegian -sen or swedish -son names will just be -sens or -sons in Latvian?
Russian -ov names becomes -ovs, what about the more Ukrainian -(ch)enko?
Most German names probably also get -s, right?
Can you give some examples of french sounding names where you wont end with -s?

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:19 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
So I guess all danish/norwegian -sen or swedish -son names will just be -sens or -sons in Latvian?
Russian -ov names becomes -ovs, what about the more Ukrainian -(ch)enko?
Most German names probably also get -s, right?
Can you give some examples of french sounding names where you wont end with -s?
Are you philologist by any chance? it seems you`re really interested in languages

Old
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Are you philologist by any chance? it seems you`re really interested in languages
Im everything I have so many interests that they day doesn't have not enough hours.
Actually basically everything interests me, but I have studied basic Indoeuropean Languages so finds the common origin of our languages and the way they have split apart very interesting. I love folk custums, folk dances, mythical songs, since they are very useful to reconstruct the way of life over our thousands year of existence in Europe. Stuff we have lost especially after WW2 (the modern way of life, industrialism and urbanisation) and have to refind it before it totally disappears into oblivion.
But we are descendends of our ancesters....we arent created out of some historical vacuum.
"If you want to know others, you need to know yourself first".
When you know others, then it's easier to reflect on your own way of life, and see what is common and what is unusual. Things you would never think about without having a detached look!
Same in hockey.......tactics is about playing on own strengths against the weaknesses of the opponent. What is Denmark for instance doing wrong when looking from the outside...what is Latvia doing that is good and what are they bad it.
Knowledge is power!

Old
05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Im everything I have so many interests that they day doesn't have not enough hours.
Actually basically everything interests me, but I have studied basic Indoeuropean Languages so finds the common origin of our languages and the way they have split apart very interesting. I love folk custums, folk dances, mythical songs, since they are very useful to reconstruct the way of life over our thousands year of existence in Europe. Stuff we have lost especially after WW2 (the modern way of life, industrialism and urbanisation) and have to refind it before it totally disappears into oblivion.
But we are descendends of our ancesters....we arent created out of some historical vacuum.
"If you want to know others, you need to know yourself first".
When you know others, then it's easier to reflect on your own way of life, and see what is common and what is unusual. Things you would never think about without having a detached look!
Same in hockey.......tactics is about playing on own strengths against the weaknesses of the opponent. What is Denmark for instance doing wrong when looking from the outside...what is Latvia doing that is good and what are they bad it.
Knowledge is power!
Well thats only half-truth knowlage is not power,information is power.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well thats only half-truth knowlage is not power,information is power.
LOL wordsplitter......
Actually information is really nothing in itself. You have to read the paper to know what it says. Only when information is internalized does it become knowledge.

If you have all kind of spy information in Danish players and coaches it doen't help one bit.....how is a players blood type relevant
It's understanding their psychy and tactics. How they play....what they dislike. How you can upset them, surprise them etc That is knowledge!
It's "information" knowing about the Czech roster......its "knowledge" when you avoid falling into their trap

Old
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
LOL wordsplitter......
Actually information is really nothing in itself. You have to read the paper to know what it says. Only when information is internalized does it become knowledge.

If you have all kind of spy information in Danish players and coaches it doen't help one bit.....how is a players blood type relevant
It's understanding their psychy and tactics. How they play....what they dislike. How you can upset them, surprise them etc That is knowledge!
It's "information" knowing about the Czech roster......its "knowledge" when you avoid falling into their trap
So on topic of hockey and Olympic rosters what do you think about ours? Do you think it could be competitve?

Old
05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Justinov

Quote:
So on topic of hockey and Olympic rosters what do you thing about ours? Do you think it could be competitve?
Oh yeah...but it's very fragile to key injuries.
If you avoid any key injuries then you definitely have the chance for some upsets.
The problem though is that everyone will get better for Sochi. The big nations can afford loosing some players, the small cant if they want a chance.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:47 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Oh yeah...but it's very fragile to key injuries.
If you avoid any key injuries then you definitely have the chance for some upsets.
The problem though is that everyone will get better for Sochi. The big nations can afford loosing some players, the small cant if they want a chance.
Exactly,i really hope we avoid those it`s absolutley crucial for us and you guys too,cause its not like you have any bigger depth than us.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Exactly,i really hope we avoid those it`s absolutley crucial for us and you guys too,cause its like you have any bigger depth than us.
We just saw that Denmark was without a whole forward line this WC, that means that our (3)-4'th line had to be danish league-allsvenskan players. Even with perfect roster the small nations still cant have 6 good defenders (only Switzerland). So any loss on the forward lines or some of the few good d-men will result in a quick and severe worsening of team-skill. We still have more than 1 ok goalkeeper, so it's less serious, but with 2 injuries it gets critical as well.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
We just saw that Denmark was without a whole forward line this WC, that means that our (3)-4'th line had to be danish league-allsvenskan players. Even with perfect roster the small nations still cant have 6 good defenders (only Switzerland). So any loss on the forward lines or some of the few good d-men will result in a quick and severe worsening of team-skill. We still have more than 1 ok goalkeeper, so it's less serious, but with 2 injuries it gets critical as well.
Well yup it`s same for us we lost Karsums ,Darzins and the end-result was catastrophic.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Well yup it`s same for us we lost Karsums ,Darzins and the end-result was catastrophic.
So maybe it should be a good thing if most latvians continue to play in KHL instead of NHL. Much less chance of getting injuries (especially concussions).

Old
05-23-2012, 12:10 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
So maybe it should be a good thing if most latvians continue to play in KHL instead of NHL. Much less chance of getting injuries (especially concussions).
It should,be but i guess it was just unlucky year,injury-wise VERY unlucky,Girgensons broke jaw,Darzins broke hand and than disclocated the shoulder,Karsums had back problems,Masalskis had problems in wc,Daugavins broke his foots finger in this wc. so yeah it has sucked this year.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Justinov

Quote:
It should,be but i guess it was just unlucky year,injury-wise VERY unlucky,Girgensons broke jaw,Darzins broke hand and than disclocated the shoulder,Karsums had back problems,Masalskis had problems in wc,Daugavins broke his foots finger in this wc. so yeah it has sucked this year.
So Latvia was 4 down and Masalskis semi-injured.
Denmark was 4 down as well in key players.
Thats was simply 4 too many.......QF really was very far away for both of us.
Norway just managed with 4 ok d-men...the third pair really a prime reason why the lost many matches among the better teams. But Denmark only had 1 ok d-pair and our defence sucked. Norway's attack was really fantastic. Great PP and shots. Denmark's forwards also sucked....only thing Denmark didn't suck at was Frans Nielsen and his PK.
Latvia more or less totally depends on M. Redlihs offensively. It seems the team more or less stands and falls with him.
Daugavins is very uneven....can be good but also make stupid decisions.
Girgensons is still very young, but hope to see him matured for 2014.

At least I think Nolan does a good work with finding lines that work well together. It looked really great the first matches this WC.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Norway just managed with 4 ok d-men...the third pair really a prime reason why the lost many matches among the better teams. But Denmark only had 1 ok d-pair and our defence sucked. Norway's attack was really fantastic. Great PP and shots. Denmark's forwards also sucked....only thing Denmark didn't suck at was Frans Nielsen and his PK.
Latvia more or less totally depends on M. Redlihs offensively. It seems the team more or less stands and falls with him.

At least I think Nolan does a good work with finding lines that work well together. It looked really great the first matches this WC.
I think he has made certain conclusions about certain players and if they don`t change their attitude in wc 2013 they may not get the chance to be on Olympic roster(ofcourse if we qualify)

Old
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:

About Daugavins this is my honest opinion- i think he has to leave NHL and come to KHL because hes wasting his skill playing as a grinder in 3d and 4th lines,he could be way more effective if he played in the khl in the first 2 lines,but thats my opinion anyway.