HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The KHL Impact on World Championships

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Next time, before u answer, try to read again and understand what i'm saying.
I think thats exactly what you were saying - the only players returning are the ones not good enough for the NHL and veterans that want to make cash. If there was no KHL, there would be at least 50 Russians in the NHL

Old
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Yashin
Jagr
Radulov
Radivojevic
Stumpel
Vasicek
Rachunek
N. Kapanen
Bulis
Hudler
Fedorov
S. Kozlov
V. Kozlov
Demitra
Afinogenov
Zherdev
Saprykin
Kalinin

I'm pretty sure these guys would've gotten an NHL contract if they wanted. And there's a lot more I missed.
Right, ok. For the same money? Besides, how exactly Jagr, Hudler, Kapanen etc "came back home"?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
you have more money in hockey general, bigger attention of media/fans to hockey.
That's not true. All that extra gas money goes towards the salary of ~25 hockey players + costs of running the KHL franchise. At the same time hockey arenas gets turned into supermarkets and our sole remaining pro team (with a great youth setup) is on the brink of bankrupcy.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I think thats exactly what you were saying - the only players returning are the ones not good enough for the NHL and veterans that want to make cash. If there was no KHL, there would be at least 50 Russians in the NHL
Making way less than they are making in the KHL. My opinion - KHL is a joke! Good luck trying to convince me otherwise!

Old
05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
That's not true. All that extra gas money goes towards the salary of ~25 hockey players + costs of running the KHL franchise. At the same time hockey arenas gets turned into supermarkets and our sole remaining pro team (with a great youth setup) is on the brink of bankrupcy.
Liepajas Metalurgs is on brink of bankrupcy? since when?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Liepajas Metalurgs is on brink of bankrupcy? since when?
Since they considered pulling out of Belarus league before this season due to expenses.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Once again, what exactly KHL has done for Latvian (or Belarussian, Kazakh) hockey? You all seem so sure about what are you talking about, but, please, give us something solid.
I think it has brought a lot of depth to their national teams. Let's face it, if there were no Dinamo Riga, where would young players develop? In the Latvian League? Now there's an MHL A and MHL B team, a team in the Belarussian league, and a KHL team (under the Dinamo Riga franchise). That's actually a very good development road for a young player. Now the latvian national league has a team full of KHL regulars, that's a lot better than what they had 10 years ago.

Now, what would be even better is that they had a strong national league in addition (IMO it could be possible with the interest hockey gets in Latvia), but I fear it can't be both.

I'd actually be quite interested to know what you for example think of the whole KHL thing, what do you think the KHL brings to or takes from the table?

Old
ozo

Quote:
Making way less than they are making in the KHL. My opinion - KHL is a joke! Good luck trying to convince me otherwise!
Good luck on your trolling.

Old
ViD

Quote:
How can a league that has the biggest number of representatives at the WHC be a joke?

Old
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Since they considered pulling out of Belarus league before this season due to expenses.
They wont pull out

Old
05-18-2012, 10:17 AM
ViD

Quote:
Weird, I remember reading that Dynamo Riga was the only KHL team operating with some profit

Old
05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Hey, Canadian coming in peace here. Maybe this isn't the right place, but, I'm curious, and have some questions...

What would the impact of the KHL having teams in countries with their own domestic leagues (ie, SEL, DEL, NLA, SM-Liiga, etc)?

Do they have difficulty expanding to countries with their own strong domestic leagues due to them being...well stronger domestically?

What has been the impact on non-Russian countries joining the league (ie, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, etc)?

Lastly, is there any realistic chance for the KHL to truly become 'continental' league with it being as heavily Russian-dominated as it is? Or is just to be a glorified Russian league?

Thank you!

Old
05-18-2012, 10:19 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Weird, I remember reading that Dynamo Riga was the only KHL team operating with some profit
Thats actually true.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:19 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Good luck on your trolling.
What does it have to do with trolling? It's just simply my opinion of the KHL, that's all.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
ozo

Quote:
Now the latvian national league has a team full of KHL regulars, that's a lot better than what they had 10 years ago.

I'd actually be quite interested to know what you for example think of the whole KHL thing, what do you think the KHL brings to or takes from the table?
But where are the actual results? Everything is better except the only thing that matters. Norway run our KHL trained roster in the ground. Kazakhstan got relegated again and Belarus did no better than us.

I'm not saying that KHL is hurting Latvian hockey, but it's not helping either.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Right, ok. For the same money? Besides, how exactly Jagr, Hudler, Kapanen etc "came back home"?
Yeah well I was talking about players choosing the KHL instead of the NHL. I'm sure Radulov, Afinogenov, Fedorov, Yashin returning was more of a "going back home" thing more than running for money.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
CCCP

Quote:
How can a league that has the biggest number of representatives at the WHC be a joke?
Well, let's see how many KHL players top 6-7 teams had at the last Olympics, where the best-of-the best hockey players compete.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:22 AM
ozo

Quote:
It's not true. But even if it was, what difference does it make, that our Dinamo Riga owner from Turkmenistan made a couple of bucks?

Old
BalticWarrior

Quote:
But where are the actual results? Everything is better except the only thing that matters. Norway run our KHL trained roster in the ground. Kazakhstan got relegated again and Belarus did no better than us.

Common lets honestly evaluate how many khl calibre players we have from our roster who can make it somewhere else other than dinamo riga. Mikelis reflihs,sprukts,darzins,karsums,galvins,pujacs and maybe krisjanis redlihs AND thats it everyone else is avarage or just simply piss-poor.

Old
CCCP

Quote:
Yeah well I was talking about players choosing the KHL instead of the NHL. I'm sure Radulov, Afinogenov, Fedorov, Yashin returning was more of a "going back home" thing more than running for money.
I can tell you for sure that for Fedorov it was all about money. i'm pretty sure it was the same for all those other players.
and, since you've mentioned Jagr, I don't think even my comrades KHL fans will argue that it was all about money for him as well. Even Jagr himself wouldn't argue that. Also, it was all about money for Radulov.

Last edited by CCCP: 05-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old
05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
ozo

Quote:
They wont pull out
I hope you are right, but your words won't pay their bills.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I hope you are right, but your words won't pay their bills.
They`ll find a way,i`m sure. And btw what was about the buzz about Liepajas metalurgs joining VHL?why such rumour even appeared?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:26 AM
ozo

Quote:
Common lets honestly evaluate how many khl calibre players we have from our roster who can make it somewhere else other than dinamo riga. Mikelis reflihs,sprukts,darzins,karsums,galvins and maybe krisjanis redlihs AND thats it everyone else is avarage or just simply piss-poor.
But, but, but they are playing in KHL, which is making huuuuge impact on Latvian hockey. Look how rosy everything looks! Medals here and there.

(Anyway, I have no idea what your post has to do with the topic)

Old
05-18-2012, 10:26 AM
YARR123

Quote:

Short term results don't give a good picture. Norway had a sick run as a team and they've learned some winning culture, which imo makes them think more of going for wins in each game instead of just surviving.
Imo Latvia is still too much in the "survival mode" when playing against big teams, though that has changed a lot IMO in the last years. I remember not so long ago when I thought that playing Latvia was a piece of cake and those games were the ones where you could sit back and relax and watch finnish players beautify their stat sheets (or bang their head on a wall called Arturs Irbe ) Now whenever Latvia plays Finland the games are pretty close and usually very exciting games. I notice that winning now seems like much more of an accomplishment than it did in the late 90s.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
But, but, but they are playing in KHL, which is making huuuuge impact on Latvian hockey. Look how rosy everything looks! Medals here and there.

(Anyway, I have no idea what your post has to do with the topic)
I`ll explain you cant change current players,you just cant. CHANGE will come with the next generation like Indrasis and bicevskis,the real impact should be evaluated in about 5-10 years when our mhl teams bring us new prospects to Dinamo riga.

Closed Thread